Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 930 of 1552
  1. #901
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    You've mentioned this many times and always seem to make it known that you think he's a dick. I cannot even begin to think why you think so. Is he too Brazilian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    I don't know what that means.
    I do. It's assumed prejudice and it's uncalled for. Leave it our RealG.
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  2. #902
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Best way to see the thread disappear?


    Don't post in it.

    While aspects of the topic are being discussed and kept civil there's no reason to close a thread.
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  3. #903
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I do. It's assumed prejudice and it's uncalled for. Leave it our RealG.
    Nope, it wasn't. Just a joke, and it would have remained that way until you brought it back up. Looks like you're still upset about another discussion we had weeks/months ago? If you don't want threads to go into tricky discussions and preach about what we shouldn't comment, perhaps you should do your part by not contributing in bringing things up in the first place.

    As for not liking Gilberto on a personal level. I fail to see how his "hissy fits" are any worse then Defoe's, whom I still do very much like. Maybe I just give people more of a chance.

  4. #904
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane
    Posts
    1,053
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Cop out haha. Easy tiger. Read what he wrote, and what I quoted.

    I think Gilberto is a dick. I'm glad he's helping the team but I don't like him personally.
    You don't like him personally? You've met him?

    how is he a dick? he's probably one of the hardest working players on our team.

  5. #905
    Member Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,246
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    He had a terrible start and now he's on a warm (not really hot) streak, as is often the case with strikers. I guess we'll see whether his hot streak is the norm, or the exception. The talk of him being a flop and wanting to ship him out was premature because he needed time to settle in. I'll evaluate him at the end of this season, or even the middle of next season, before coming to any full conclusions about whether or not he's a flop.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  6. #906
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,773
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Easy copout when some of you were all over his ass earlier and now acting like you weren't.
    I was on him and I stand by what I said. At the time this thread was started he was not producing.
    And if he ever does slow down and revert back to the way his playing when this thread was started (10+ games without an ounce of attacking prowess) I'll be on him again.

    And before you go and pretend to know what I said about him - make sure you go back and read my exact comments.
    Generalizations make for long, unnecessary arguments.

    The move that turned his fortunes around was when Nelsen benched him for those few games. He didn't need to get adjusted to his surroundings - he needed to get his head out of his ass and start to think straighter. Has done wonders for him IMO.

  7. #907
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,773
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    He had a terrible start and now he's on a warm (not really hot) streak, as is often the case with strikers. I guess we'll see whether his hot streak is the norm, or the exception. The talk of him being a flop and wanting to ship him out was premature because he needed time to settle in. I'll evaluate him at the end of this season, or even the middle of next season, before coming to any full conclusions about whether or not he's a flop.
    Which is pretty much what a lot of people on here was thinking as well.

  8. #908
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Nope, it wasn't. Just a joke, and it would have remained that way until you brought it back up. Looks like you're still upset about another discussion we had weeks/months ago? If you don't want threads to go into tricky discussions and preach about what we shouldn't comment, perhaps you should do your part by not contributing in bringing things up in the first place.
    Then it was a joke in poor taste and it should be left out. My part as moderator is to point this out. For more clarification on our stance on prejudice feel free to pm myself or any other mod.
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  9. #909
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Trawna
    Posts
    435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ya don't post

  10. #910
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gilberto's hissy fits have all seemed like they are aimed at the officiating. He gets run over with no foul called or no card given quite a bit, and has lost his mind about it a couple times. I've found it kind of understandable how abused he's gotten in a couple games, or how many chances have been taken away with a foul that wasn't called. I haven't really seen him get pissed at his teammates, which is what would bother me. The whole thing with Defoe was hilarious in hindsight, because both of their actions immediately afterwards made it obvious they were both caught up in the moment but all good with it right after.

  11. #911
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    112
    Posts
    2,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find it harsh how Gilberto's mannerisms are judged as if he's from Canada, meanwhile in reality, living on another continent might as well be like living on a different planet.

  12. #912
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    112
    Posts
    2,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    But guys let's not forget how long it took him to finally get his groove. It took way too long and we were too patient and we should have shipped him off at the beginning of the season when he was still getting used to his new surroundings and coming back to full fitness.

    The end.
    Nonsense. Taken better players even longer to get their thing going.

    Almost think this post is sarcasm now that I think about it.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    i don't see what is unlikeable about Gilberto at all. Seems to me like a guy who plays with a lot of passion and gives it 100% all the time. I am not sure what 'hissy fits' are being referred to as i have missed a couple games this year, but if one of them was the fight with JD which lead to his first goal, then i will have to disagree as that was awesomely epic.
    Me either. He wants to do well for TFC so god damn badly. Almost brought to tears after his first couple of goals. He's passionate as hell for our team and wants nothing more than to score for the very people posting in this thread.

    He gets upset on the pitch because the physicality allowed in MLS is greater than what he's experienced in previous leagues. I understand where he's coming from and believe MLS needs to change in a direction that tones that down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Best way to see the thread disappear?
    Considering my calls for patience are showing to be spot on, I want this thread to live forever. Muwahahahaha.

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I was on him and I stand by what I said. At the time this thread was started he was not producing.
    And if he ever does slow down and revert back to the way his playing when this thread was started (10+ games without an ounce of attacking prowess) I'll be on him again.
    Some scorers are streaky, his past suggests he is and this season seems to be showing the same. Get ready for another lull in the future I imagine, not that I think it'll be fair to grind him for it.

    I also think your judgement is unfair to say "revert to how he was playing", because IMO he's always played very hard and generated offence, just couldn't put the ball away. As long as he busts his ass for us, continue to use his skills, I'm behind him 100%. Variance is a part of sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    And before you go and pretend to know what I said about him - make sure you go back and read my exact comments.
    Generalizations make for long, unnecessary arguments.

    The move that turned his fortunes around was when Nelsen benched him for those few games. He didn't need to get adjusted to his surroundings - he needed to get his head out of his ass and start to think straighter. Has done wonders for him IMO.
    I disagree partially. I think he did need to adjust to his teammates and the style of MLS players and refs. I do agree that the benching helped him sort that out, I don't think his "head was up his ass" however.

  13. #913
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    north york
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Nonsense. Taken better players even longer to get their thing going.

    Almost think this post is sarcasm now that I think about it.....



    Me either. He wants to do well for TFC so god damn badly. Almost brought to tears after his first couple of goals. He's passionate as hell for our team and wants nothing more than to score for the very people posting in this thread.

    He gets upset on the pitch because the physicality allowed in MLS is greater than what he's experienced in previous leagues. I understand where he's coming from and believe MLS needs to change in a direction that tones that down.



    Considering my calls for patience are showing to be spot on, I want this thread to live forever. Muwahahahaha.



    Some scorers are streaky, his past suggests he is and this season seems to be showing the same. Get ready for another lull in the future I imagine, not that I think it'll be fair to grind him for it.

    I also think your judgement is unfair to say "revert to how he was playing", because IMO he's always played very hard and generated offence, just couldn't put the ball away. As long as he busts his ass for us, continue to use his skills, I'm behind him 100%. Variance is a part of sport.



    I disagree partially. I think he did need to adjust to his teammates and the style of MLS players and refs. I do agree that the benching helped him sort that out, I don't think his "head was up his ass" however.
    I 100% agree with everything you just said

  14. #914
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...l-week-week-23


    ^^^^^ Vote for Gilberto's goal, he has goal of the week honours.
    TFC CLUB HISTORY TIMELINE:
    2007 - 2013 : "The Reign of Error" - aka "How to kill a golden goose"
    2013 - PRESENT: "The Bloody Big Mess" - aka "Necrophilia and a golden goose - a love story"

  15. #915
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Seems like every time a TFC player has a chance of winning goal of the week some other player scores a ridiculous one. Serna's goal is gonna win for sure.

  16. #916
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,465
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Seems like every time a TFC player has a chance of winning goal of the week some other player scores a ridiculous one. Serna's goal is gonna win for sure.

    Yeah it's easily the best goal.
    TFC CLUB HISTORY TIMELINE:
    2007 - 2013 : "The Reign of Error" - aka "How to kill a golden goose"
    2013 - PRESENT: "The Bloody Big Mess" - aka "Necrophilia and a golden goose - a love story"

  17. #917
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm with Ryan 100%.

    His goalless streak at the beginning of the season was down to being unlucky. He was still generating more chances, save Defoe, than anyone else. A couple of inches here and there, he could be at double digits already. How different would it be if he scored a pile of goals at the beginning of the season and now was going through a stretch where he didn't score goals? He's one of the most skilled players on the team and is one of the hardest workers on the team. Seems like a good combo overall.

    Like I said much earlier in the thread, he'll be fine. I'm still waiting for him to score at home, but he's the least of my concerns on this squad.

    Though I do wonder if there is some animosity here because he's South American? There's still a lot of British/North Amercian vs. South American/continental Europe animosity here. Yeah I said it.

    One man's "hissy fit" is one man's "showing passion". One man's "flopping" is one man's "doing what it takes to win".

  18. #918
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Roncy
    Posts
    209
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Seems like every time a TFC player has a chance of winning goal of the week some other player scores a ridiculous one. Serna's goal is gonna win for sure.
    That goal will probably win goal of the year.

  19. #919
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't see how people get the 'attitude' thing. He's certainly no worse than some players on the team.

  20. #920
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe its that swag lol.

    Anyways, its nice to see another DP score.

  21. #921
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=ryan;1688228]Nonsense. Taken better players even longer to get their thing going.

    Almost think this post is sarcasm now that I think about it.....


    Yeah it was...

    As for people saying he's a dick...so now that he's scoring you can't harp on him about that so you baselessly call out his attitude. I've never seen him get livid at teammates like Defoe does. So he throws his hands in the air to the ref..who the fuck doesn't. I see Bekker and Osorio have more hissy fits than gilberto. He has a superb defensive work ethic for a forward when all of our other forwards just stand around waiting for a pass to come their way. Gilberto is always running back to defend so give it a rest.
    Last edited by shwade; 08-18-2014 at 07:10 PM.

  22. #922
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Which is pretty much what a lot of people on here was thinking as well.
    I don't think so.

    I can find many instances in this thread where people wanted him traded or stuck on the bench, by quoting them. But I won't because there are too many.

    Now that he's turned it around a bit there's a lot of revisionist history and back pedalling going on.

  23. #923
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now we should debate which side is engaged in the most revisionism.

  24. #924
    Member Past President
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dichio Country
    Posts
    12,246
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've preached patience with him from the beginning and I still maintain that stance. He's on a good run, which I hope he can sustain. He could still end up being a flop if he ends the season cold, as a DP has to deliver the goods. That said, he has done a lot of good things and I suspect he won't end up as a flop. My hope is that he is settling and starting to feel comfortable and we are seeing the real Gilberto. The only way we will know is to wait and find out. All of the "I told you so" and calling out going on is quite juvenile. You've got a 50/50 chance of being right, so it's not like you took a big risk with either stance. I think all of us can agree we want him to deliver the goods and will be quite pleased if he does, no matter our initial thoughts on the issue.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

  25. #925
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Posts
    8,512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I find it harsh how Gilberto's mannerisms are judged as if he's from Canada, meanwhile in reality, living on another continent might as well be like living on a different planet.
    It's probably natural that when you have different languages in use, people are going to be a bit frustrated if they can't effectively communicate. That could definitely be a factor.

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't see how people get the 'attitude' thing. He's certainly no worse than some players on the team.
    Yeah, there's nothing about him that strikes me as particularly belligerent. Like I said above, understandings due the language barrier might lead to some anger, but I've seen much worse throughout the league this year from both foreign and domestic players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I don't think so.

    I can find many instances in this thread where people wanted him traded or stuck on the bench, by quoting them. But I won't because there are too many.

    Now that he's turned it around a bit there's a lot of revisionist history and back pedalling going on.
    You know what? I actually took the time to go through this thread using the words "bench(ing)", "trade(ing)", "drop(ing)", "get rid off", "ship(ing) off", cut(ing), and "move(ing)" in a search. The only word that came up as part of an actual suggestion by a number of posters was "bench" and that's exactly what happened to Gilberto for a handful of games. So... I guess you can go after Nelsen for that?

    As for trading him or dropping him from the roster; like I said above, I can't find any post that say that specifically. At least not in the context of people saying that's what they think the team needs to do. I'm sure there must be at least a few posts like that, but too many to list? I think you're going to have to back that up with a few examples.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Now we should debate which side is engaged in the most revisionism.
    To be fair, as long as the player in question is producing, it's a problem you kinda want to have.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 08-19-2014 at 02:38 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

  26. #926
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I don't think so.

    I can find many instances in this thread where people wanted him traded or stuck on the bench, by quoting them. But I won't because there are too many.

    Now that he's turned it around a bit there's a lot of revisionist history and back pedalling going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    You know what? I actually took the time to go through this thread using the words "bench(ing)", "trade(ing)", "drop(ing)", "get rid off", "ship(ing) off", cut(ing), and "move(ing)" in a search. The only word that came up as part of an actual suggestion by a number of posters was "bench" and that's exactly what happened to Gilberto for a handful of games. So... I guess you can go after Nelsen for that?

    As for trading him or dropping him from the roster; like I said above, I can't find any post that say that specifically. At least not in the context of people saying that's what they think the team needs to do. I'm sure there must be at least a few posts like that, but too many to list? I think you're going to have to back that up with a few examples.



    To be fair, as long as the player in question is producing, it's a problem you kinda want to have.
    I feel a revision or back pedal coming on...

    or perhaps we can just amend our analysis to reflect output?

    This was always a question of hope for potential.
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  27. #927
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Now we should debate which side is engaged in the most revisionism.
    so meta

    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  28. #928
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Barried Alive
    Posts
    18,123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Even when he wasn't scoring, he was still generally playing well in most other respects. Now he's getting the statistical rewards for his efforts. Personally, I've remained patient with him, and figured he'd eventually come around, goals-wise.

    However, I don't really care about people trying to re-characterize things they've said in the past, to avoid admitting they were harsh or incorrect in their judgment. It irritates me to no end that people can't wait to do an end-zone dance in the face of other members, when they turn out to be accurate in their analysis, or a prediction. This is the behaviour that hardens some people into becoming staunch contrarians with victim complexes.

    A little more humility and magnanimity would be nice, all around. And I include myself in this.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

  29. #929
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,773
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Even when he wasn't scoring, he was still generally playing well in most other respects. Now he's getting the statistical rewards for his efforts. Personally, I've remained patient with him, and figured he'd eventually come around, goals-wise.

    However, I don't really care about people trying to re-characterize things they've said in the past, to avoid admitting they were harsh or incorrect in their judgment. It irritates me to no end that people can't wait to do an end-zone dance in the face of other members, when they turn out to be accurate in their analysis, or a prediction. This is the behaviour that hardens some people into becoming staunch contrarians with victim complexes.

    A little more humility and magnanimity would be nice, all around. And I include myself in this.
    Good luck with that. It's the right mentality in the real world, but this is the internet. And on the internet, people need to win.

  30. #930
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was definitely on him at the start, and am happy to see he's turned it around somewhat. I didn't want him to fail. Anyone who wants to see a player ON OUR TEAM fail just for the point of being right on a message board needs to rethink their lives a little bit!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •