Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow - 3rd team of the season already. Welcome to the MLS Luke...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He scored a hat trick against us in 2007 - the friendly with Villa.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Wow - 3rd team of the season already. Welcome to the MLS Luke...
    idiot writer failed to mention that it's a 3 way trade between Chivas USA, Colorado and TFC. Marvin Chavez went to Chivas USA for Moore who was flipped to TFC for Gale
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... What's the catch?

He looks pretty good, like a first team player. Where did he lose his magic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have preferred Chavez.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

looks like a depth player to me. I could see him being a Daryl Russell type player. bring him on to close out a game. Won't score much but can add grit to knock the other team off their game - kill their late game momentum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised to see him with Chivas. I think he's what need in terms of depth at forward actually. I like this move. I used to rate him back in the day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    not with Issey looking good and Chavez at 200-250k and haven't played first team football much of this season
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    not with Issey looking good and Chavez at 200-250k and haven't played first team football much of this season
    Yes that's true.

Chavez was one of the dominant players in MLS in 2012. Now he's being traded for ... Boss? Amazing how fast things change.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

idiot writer failed to mention that it's a 3 way trade between Chivas USA, Colorado and TFC. Marvin Chavez went to Chivas USA for Moore who was flipped to TFC for Gale
    That makes more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes 120k base, 128k guaranteed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover for when the World Cup is on and some are away?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he better than Wiedeman?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Is he better than Wiedeman?
    Is anyone? The guy is the best finisher in the modern era. In all seriousness, I have no faith in the guy. I never see him come off the bench and think, "he'll definitely make a difference."

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    So... What's the catch?

The catch is that he's probably not a big improvement. Over the course of 6 years he's scored a grand total of 17 goals in league play. That comes out to about one goal every nine matches if the info I'm looking at is right.

To be honest, there's probably a reason why he's been kicked back and forth between so many teams over the years.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    The catch is that he's probably not a big improvement. Over the course of 6 years he's scored a grand total of 17 goals in league play. That comes out to about one goal every nine matches if the info I'm looking at is right.

To be honest, there's probably a reason why he's been kicked back and forth between so many teams over the years.

Makes sense. The longer players are journeymen, the more affordable the acquisition. I think there's more hope coming from all parties that THIS time will be a fit for him to go on a run. It happens just not often as everyone, the fans and players in question, would like.

I hope he can have an "Earnshaw" kind of start to contributing to this team. And then continue contributing of course.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    So... What's the catch?

When he was still with Villa! He was one of those young players who had great potential, made some great runs, scored some great goals but never fulfilled that potential. He also suffered with injuries (a shoulder injury most significantly) before being sent out on loan and eventually sold. Like so many others, he has the potential to score bucket loads, but I don't see it happening. He lost his way somewhere along the way, but at age 28 he still has the potential to play well. On the positive side, even if he's not scoring goals he might well draw defenders away from his fellow strikers thereby giving them a chance. And on the other positive side, the other ex-Villa player we have seems to be doing okay for us...Michael Bradley!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that's true.

Chavez was one of the dominant players in MLS in 2012. Now he's being traded for ... Boss? Amazing how fast things change.
    Must not have got along with Mastroeni.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moore was very good at Swansea just a few years ago.....a much better option than Wiederman....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if DeRo might be bought out in the summer? This signing looks like at least a partial admission that DeRo's finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly... I really wanted us to make a move for Chavez in the off-season when it became clear he wasn't going to stay with SJ.
    Now, with the acquisition and solid play of Issey, we have no need for him.

In hindsight, I think we're way better off with Issey than Chavez - a guy with a big cap-hit who has now been traded twice in a few months after not finding playing time and not getting along with his coaches.

Luke Moore is exactly what we needed - a depth forward.
    The only thing I question is his cap hit... seems a bit expensive for the role he will play on our team.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Luke Moore is exactly what we needed - a depth forward.
    The only thing I question is his cap hit... seems a bit expensive for the role he will play on our team.
    Could be one of those MLS "Scratch my back, I scratch yours" scenarios.

We get rid of guy who was never going to play, but we take the bigger hit as a "favour" now.
    Seeing as how 3 teams were involved I have a feeling Columbus are going to be making a move for someone and they needed the $$$
    Looks like they just freed up 100K....is that correct?
    Last edited by jabbronies; 05-09-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Makes sense. The longer players are journeymen, the more affordable the acquisition. I think there's more hope coming from all parties that THIS time will be a fit for him to go on a run. It happens just not often as everyone, the fans and players in question, would like.

I hope he can have an "Earnshaw" kind of start to contributing to this team. And then continue contributing of course.
    crap, forgot about him, keeping earnshaw would have seemed genius at this point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the off season Nelson signs two D.P strikers and spends a decent amount of cap space on dero and this early in the season is already saying he thinks it is that the position they need more players in is strikers. Doesn't this seem odd to you guys? With Osorio struggling with injuries, yes Issey was a great signing and has been great but he doesn't seem to be able to play a full 90 minutes, midfield is where you need the depth, I don't get how Nelson see's signing another striker a "no brainer." I mean, it's not a terrible signing, he got a decent striker, but for me I just don't like it.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/0...sen-may-9-2014

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I wonder if DeRo might be bought out in the summer? This signing looks like at least a partial admission that DeRo's finished.
    That would be a bad PR move with no benefit.

The budget charge of a buyout during the season still counts against a team's assigned budget.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    crap, forgot about him, keeping earnshaw would have seemed genius at this point
    He would have provided some depth, but that's about it. He signed with a poor Blackpool squad, and couldn't even find a spot on the bench with them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, Earnshaw wanted first team and money to match thats why he didnt resign, thats why we signed Luke Moore. Realistically after Wiedeman we dont have any depth with Dike injured as a result, Moore signing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defensor View Post
    In the off season Nelson signs two D.P strikers and spends a decent amount of cap space on dero and this early in the season is already saying he thinks it is that the position they need more players in is strikers. Doesn't this seem odd to you guys? With Osorio struggling with injuries, yes Issey was a great signing and has been great but he doesn't seem to be able to play a full 90 minutes, midfield is where you need the depth, I don't get how Nelson see's signing another striker a "no brainer." I mean, it's not a terrible signing, he got a decent striker, but for me I just don't like it.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/0...sen-may-9-2014
    Dero was never brought in to be a striker he is primarily a Midfielder and mainly a winger. Dike was the 3rd striker and with him out and possibly losing Defoe to the WC we needed another Striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chavez would have been cool. I'm surprised people are that enthusiastic about Issey.

Feels like Dero will be back next year... Just not as a player.