Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Voyageurs Cup semi final 1st leg: Toronto vs Vancouver, Wed 7 May 730pm

TFC has a bye week. Play the first team, ring up big enough score and rest the key players for 2nd leg. (except Bendik who needs a few games)

Caps have a topsy turvy team who are good in spurts, but vulnerable to pace.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like I said on the other thread...I don't see morales on the van roster?misprint maybe?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    like I said on the other thread...I don't see morales on the van roster?misprint maybe?
    apparently teams can make adjustments to roster till 24hrs before the match
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way the teams are playing...I don't fancy TFC's chances. They haven't looked good at BMO at all...and getiing a result in Vancouver will be very difficult.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see Bradley or defoe playing weds...and with oso hurt,you got one actual mid, bekker...the lack of depth on this club is brutal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    apparently teams can make adjustments to roster till 24hrs before the match
    He was hurting at the end of Van's match....No way he's playing Wed..I'd presume..
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I don't see Bradley or defoe playing weds...and with oso hurt,you got one actual mid, bekker...the lack of depth on this club is brutal.
    and seriously can't see us beating Van , unless they simply don't care , but I think they do . They had a nice game this weekend and like their balance and they have Carl Robinson a gamer .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Reds have to go all out vs. Vancouver. No way they want to fall to the Whitecaps. I am sure Julio will start both games in the semi-finals as he will want to be all good and ready for Brazil.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio being injured is a bitch.

I was worried about his integration into the teams offence prior to this, now it's not even a consideration.

I still think Laba and Earnshaw would have provided more balance to the team over Gilberto.

Having said that, I hope Gilberto will bust a nut over the league's face if he's allowed time to find his way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik will start and probably Haggland and Orr. I can see Weideman up front with Gilberto.

But, the rest are going to be starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a Vancouver press article last week linked from MLS's site where they talked to Robo and expect a Canadian/Youth heavy line up for this game. Not sure if that's still the case because they were able to sub out a few players after getting such a big lead on the weekend.

I expect TFC will field a pretty strong line up for the first leg and try to build up a solid lead so they can rest guys next week before the NYRB game. From early season interviews, it sounds like Champions League is a goal this year so hopefully we put in a good showing.

If Vancouver does start a more reserve heavy squad, this might be a good opportunity for Gilberto to find his scoring boots and gain some confidence back. Honestly, I won't be happy/comfortable with anything other than a clean sheet and 2+ goal lead to take to Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need this win badly in my opinion.

With performance thus far - Cdn Championship with these 2 games should be a focus. Playoffs are still on the horizon and not coming out strong here will be a punch to the stomach after Sat's game against NE.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bendik will start and probably Haggland and Orr. I can see Weideman up front with Gilberto.

But, the rest are going to be starters.
    I still don't get why Orr isn't our starting RB. I am hoping to see him play that position given he has done it his whole career.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know they like to use these games to give the non-starters some action, but according to Bez at his half time interview on Sat. we are losing b/c we have not had time to "jell", so wouldn't playing our starters together as much as possible facilitate this? Especially since we won't have time to jell as a first team when we are missing key components of our starting line-up during the world cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver are HoT at the mo, we need to improve ten fold to get anything on Wendsday, it's footy though so who knows ehh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a week off after this game I would want to see as many of our starters play a role in this game as possible. We need to give our starters time to gel and these V-Cup games are the perfect time to potentially see a weakened side where they would have a chance to dominate a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our backline isn't in a good place right now and I don't think Defoe will be playing on Turf. I forsee a 2-1 loss at BC place for wednesday. I don't think we'll be playing in the finals this year, and with the rules on the top team in MLS winning the CCL spot in 2015, I don't think TFC will be winning it either. Either way, this season could be what kills TL's career here in Toronto.
    Last edited by Initial B; 05-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman@LukeWileman41 secsWhitecaps giving young Canadians a chance in Toronto on Wednesday, Carducci will start in goal, Alderson will play, Froese, Bustos in squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Our backline isn't in a good place right now and I don't think Defoe will be playing on Turf. I forsee a 2-1 loss at BC place for wednesday. I don't think we'll be playing in the finals this year, and with the rules on the top team in MLS winning the CCL spot in 2015, I don't think TFC will be winning it either. Either way, this season could be what kills TL's career here in Toronto.
    Wed's game is at home at BMO....

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    First leg is at BMO, second leg in Vacouver May 14th.

Rain predicted too - yay!

I thnik CCL will be tough but I won't write them off yet or even consider this being a career killer for TL. He had much worse things happen to him in LA and fixed it there before leaving.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be interesting to see how the "cup vs. league" discussion goes these next two weeks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can really see the Reds going with a best 11 lineup for at least the first game with the weekend off. Nelly depending on the result Wednesday night will then decide how to approach the second leg. I am sure Julio will play in both. He wants as many games as possible before Brazil.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything on twitter by the guys covering say that Nelsen has no interest in the V cup. The priority is on MLS playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I can really see the Reds going with a best 11 lineup for at least the first game with the weekend off. Nelly depending on the result Wednesday night will then decide how to approach the second leg. I am sure Julio will play in both. He wants as many games as possible before Brazil.
    I think we go in for the kill right off the bat.

If Vancouver comes in with a lesser lineup, then fuck it, make them pay.

With Montreal (likely) on the other end of the final, would be foolish not to go for it. Perhaps a V's cup could help motivate and build up some confidence. Give us something to hang our hats on, other than being 3pts from the basement with a league worst 7 goals scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Everything on twitter by the guys covering say that Nelsen has no interest in the V cup. The priority is on MLS playoffs.
    Well on that note, fuck what I just said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed - there is no reason he should be benched - get Henry out of there ... PLEASE

Been saying that for years now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wold think the priority is winning - whatever game against whoever we play

Our record to this point does not instill playoff hopes for me yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC there wasn't much interest last year by management in putting out our best for the Cup. With TL's promise of making the playoffs this year it's no great surprise if management continues to show less than maximum enthusiasm for the Cup. As a fan I consider the Canadian Championship to be important enough that we should try. It's the only thing in TFC's existence that has brought us any pride.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah, I think it should get some priority IMO.

Its a cup we care about, I don't give a shit about the Trillium cup or any of that garbage. I think there is a little truth to what Luke and them are saying because reputations were put on stake for the playoffs where as the CCL offers travel to exotic lands and poor times. Our schedule is light in the opening of the year and gets pretty loaded at the back end. This possible position by the coaches regarding CCL makes the schedule make a little more sense now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Marco Carducci starting in net the Whitecaps, the Reds should go and pepper the 17 year old kid with shot after shot. The 2012 and 2013 U17 Canadian Player of the Year will be making his first team debut Wednesday night after signing with Vancouver this past March.

Three other young Canadians for the Whitecaps in
    Alderson (20 years old) Froese (18), Bustos (18) will be in the squad in squad.