Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Vancouver scored when they needed a goal. Robinson seems to be a much better coach than Nelsen.. they seem like they can actually develop players.
    Whitecaps Academy is actually ranked pretty high by US Soccer Federation Development Academy.

If that is their depth, they are going to be fun to watch for years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC had the obvious edge in play for most of the night, and really should have put away a few more chances. That being said, Vancouver's youth squad still generated a couple of point blank scoring chances, and our defence capitulated in the dying minutes yet again when Robinson brought on their starters.

We may have won the match, but I think Vancouver can take away more positives going into the second leg. We will need to step it up in Vancouver.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

intense game as both teams played with a lot of effort. I guess the V Cup matters to Canadian players.

you can see exactly what Nelsen wants the team to play on the attack with alot of combo and one touch passes, but TFC got too cute too many times with the passes. Caps kids deserved a goal for their effort. they have talent.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a positive note, TFC will be better rested going into the second leg with a bye week again, and Vancouver playing Columbus this weekend. It will be interesting to see what Robinson does with his lineup in both games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I think it's safe to say that the winner will go on to represent Canada in the CCL. I tried watching some of the 1st leg between Montreal and Edmonton, but it's just too painful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A win, a Bradley goal, a Defoe goal and DeRo charging in to protect our keeper.

Cup games are not supposed to be easy. Hopefully we finish better on the turf next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow we got a really well timed bye week, I wonder what vancouver fans are saying about that with an away cross conference game on saturday lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Gilberto is way too cocky to think he can score 20 goals in the season; doesnt understand this league is much tougher than he gives credit, just confused why he deserves to be a DP as he hasnt shown our fans his worthiness, and I think this signing as of right now is even worse than the JDG signing
    Just the overconfidence you find in most professional athletes and especially strikers. If they don't believe they can score, they are toast. Most of these guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, they just won't say it in the media. This guy comes from a different culture and talking a big game may be more of the order of the day as opposed to our "I work really hard" line that everybody eats up here.

I'm not terribly impressed, but I woudn't throw Gilberto out too soon. The foreign striker MLS adjustment period can be pretty long. Urruti looks like he is just coming around right now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Just the overconfidence you find in most professional athletes and especially strikers. If they don't believe they can score, they are toast. Most of these guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, they just won't say it in the media. This guy comes from a different culture and talking a big game may be more of the order of the day as opposed to our "I work really hard" line that everybody eats up here.

I'm not terribly impressed, but I woudn't throw Gilberto out too soon. The foreign striker MLS adjustment period can be pretty long. Urruti looks like he is just coming around right now...
    Never understood the trade of Maxi Urruti, I rated his style a lot higher than Gilberto, but I guess we need to wait and see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ridiculous that Nelson takes out Issey, one of the best players on the pitch, and leaves Rey for a full 90 after coming back from an injury. Seriously Nelson, your decisions is just baffling at times.

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Never understood the trade of Maxi Urruti, I rated his style a lot higher than Gilberto, but I guess we need to wait and see
    Well its not like he's doing any better. Personally, even though Gilberto hasn't scored a goal, I see him contributing more to the attack. He works harder to find space, better ball control and vision. Urruti, to me, at times seems lazy and is easily shrugged off the ball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larson tweets half the team has the flu. That's why Hagglund pulled pregame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of these guys think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    ahaha.

yeah I pretty much agree though. also guys like defoe have had extensive media training and know just what to say. Where's you see guys like Issey and Gilberto who just sort of speak their mind. And confidence is ridiculously important for strikers, they basically have to be greedy assholes. That's where playing alongside defoe might have an effect a bit, as in, it's obvious that defoe would be the first choice to be getting the chances. But overall I wouldn't blame Gilberto as much I would more blame nelson for paying him so much and building so much hype excetera, and having 2 DP striker goal poachers. I agree with Jeff in that Gilberto is working hard, helping set up goals, but to me he just seems to be somewhat unlucky but mores lacking confidence in his finishing.

I agree about Rey, on his best days he just puts his head down and dribbles into a crowd i find.

side note, is anyone watching this boaki kid from canada on edmonton? he's miles ahead of bekker and only 17. I was sort of half watching this game but man it sure looks like the canadian national team might be able to at least compete in about 5 years.
    Last edited by defensor; 05-07-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Ridiculous that Nelson takes out Issey, one of the best players on the pitch, and leaves Rey for a full 90 after coming back from an injury. Seriously Nelson, your decisions is just baffling at times.

Well its not like he's doing any better. Personally, even though Gilberto hasn't scored a goal, I see him contributing more to the attack. He works harder to find space, better ball control and vision. Urruti, to me, at times seems lazy and is easily shrugged off the ball.
    issey starts before Rey everytime from what I can see. Nit sure what people see in Rey TBH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@defencer

Boakai was in the U17 team this year with Carducci and Hamilton, that made it too to U17 WC he was also a shining light there too. The games were all streamed and also a game on Sportnet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    People will take out of that what ever they want to.

Issy had a good game.

Away goal sucked.

DeRo stood up for the team.

You can see them not quite sure of where each other will be.

Defoe and Bradley were class.

I did not miss Jackson.

Roll on next week.
    all accurate ,,,Issy was a pit bull and has to start . led all the attacks when he came on . He wants to win unlike a few . Sorry to all but I am starting to doubt Nelson and Gilberto , phew caught the Toronto disease of trying to do it all by himself and therefore making himself impotent . Why does Bekker take every corner , free kick ? . Bendik was up for it . We have to find an AM . I think that is frustrating Bradley ,. Or is it the tactics ? Hello MR . bradley senior . We need him . PS if Montreal or Chicago win 1 more game we're back in the bottom . AND the damn bugs NEVER left . They are in every orfice .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

issey starts before Rey everytime from what I can see. Nit sure what people see in Rey TBH.
    Watch his combination play with Bloom. They consistently build dangerous attacks.

It's just a shame Rey can't keep his head when he gets the ball in his feet inside the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    all accurate ,,,Issy was a pit bull and has to start . led all the attacks when he came on . He wants to win unlike a few . Sorry to all but I am starting to doubt Nelson and Gilberto , phew caught the Toronto disease of trying to do it all by himself and therefore making himself impotent . Why does Bekker take every corner , free kick ? . Bendik was up for it . We have to find an AM . I think that is frustrating Bradley ,. Or is it the tactics ? Hello MR . bradley senior . We need him . PS if Montreal or Chicago win 1 more game we're back in the bottom . AND the damn bugs NEVER left . They are in every orfice .
    I would like to see a lot more positional discipline either from Bradley or from whoever plays with him in the middle of the park. Probably one of the largest things I disagree with about our tactics right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see a lot more positional discipline either from Bradley or from whoever plays with him in the middle of the park. Probably one of the largest things I disagree with about our tactics right now.
    I think Bekker playing defensive mid and bradley playing attacking might have something to do with it lol. There's probably and arrangement for the two of them to swap positions at certain times or something though, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Sometimes you see teams have their creators drop back while in possession to help distribute the ball, but not play there the whole game necessarily, and it's not as if bekker is a great distributor or anything really anyways imo. They should see if they should get Boaki instead. But as pretty much everyone has said Bradley can play better than this.

@notthesun

Yeah, they made some somewhat nice looking passing plays, but the defending on that side was pretty weak from Vancouver
    Last edited by defensor; 05-07-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we really need a AM...we run out of ideas around the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously...this is going south now. That was our best starting outfield.... Against a youth team. Away goal advantage for Vancouver. They are not going to have a chance in Vancouver.

Gilberto & Rey were just awfull.
    wut?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal lost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Montreal lost

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rey is incredible at beating defenders on the wing and "crossing" it into the feet of the defenders in the box. He'd be a real winner if he could raise his crosses about a meter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rey was horrid today. And I'm usually one to support him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus Buncha Debbie downers here. Wasn't the best game by any means but jesus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Jesus Buncha Debbie downers here. Wasn't the best game by any means but jesus
    Imagine if we draw the next leg. Mass suicide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after reading this thread we 1) lost the game, 2) need to fire our coach, 3) rid ourselves of a DP and 4) doomed to eternity because we are TFC. Did I miss anything?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mun View Post
    So after reading this thread we 1) lost the game, 2) need to fire our coach, 3) rid ourselves of a DP and 4) doomed to eternity because we are TFC. Did I miss anything?
    Nope, that about covers it.

Oh, fix the damn grass... Sheesh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you guys are happy with a 2-1 win over a bunch of schoolboys good for you..im not.
    remember last year in mtl....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone who's saying Gilberto is shit is fucken retarded. He does everything right off the ball, very un rated passer of the ball ala Defoes goal, good defensive work rate and wins alot of aerial battles. Gets in really good positions to score too. I agree it's fustrating that he hasn't scored but you see everything's there. They are going to hit the back of the net eventually!