Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Soccer Central Radio show on Fan 590 cancelled

Hey guys,

I'm sad to report that the Soccer Central Radio show on Fan 590 is cancelled after this week. We recorded the last show tonight and it can be heard HERE.

I feel bad. Nigel Reed kept the show going for 7 years, and yet after only 4 months with me at the helm the show is no more.

The good news is that the Soccer Central podcast on sportsnet.ca will continue. We'll still do the podcast on Monday afternoons and we'll likely add a second podcast on Thursdays or Fridays.

You can listen to the podcast on its homepage or download it from iTunes.

Cheers,
    John Molinaro
    Soccer reporter, Sportsnet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad news John. You and Nigel did a great job over the last 7 plus years. It's unfortunate that we're getting less footy coverage.

Glad that it's still around for us podcasters.

Keep up the good work John!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks. Sorry to hear it, John.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regretful. Always enjoyed the show. One less place to get an informed opinion on TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shame, that.. but, it had a good run, and I'm sure that can only lend to the quality of the podcasts, which will continue.

Hopefully, we'll see enough success to warrant more focus/coverage on footy in Canada, both on a club and country level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame because I've always loved Soccer Central. Can you offer any insight into the reasons behind the show's ultimate demise?

Nigel Reed's departure was so unexpected and at the time, I really didn't know what to make of it. The version of the show that immediately followed (before you took over) didn't focus at all on Canadian Football, which is why I stopped listening. And then your show returned to the show's roots and was very enjoyable.

At the end of the day, was it a ratings thing?

I'm glad that the podcast will live on and thanks for the great job you did not only as a host but, as a frequent guest when Mr. Reed was at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm sad to report that the Soccer Central Radio show on Fan 590 is cancelled after this week. We recorded the last show tonight and it can be heard HERE.

I feel bad. Nigel Reed kept the show going for 7 years, and yet after only 4 months with me at the helm the show is no more.

The good news is that the Soccer Central podcast on sportsnet.ca will continue. We'll still do the podcast on Monday afternoons and we'll likely add a second podcast on Thursdays or Fridays.

Cheers,
    John Molinaro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really upset to hear this. I was listening last nights's pod on the way into work this morning. I hope the new podcast keeps up the Canadian content. Living abroad, it is a nice way to feel connected with home.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a sad day John, sorry to hear this news. Rogers sure seems to be a though company on soccer programming sometimes.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's too bad, but how many of the younger generation who are into North American soccer actually listen to radio? This might be an opportunity to expand the podcast base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    That's too bad, but how many of the younger generation who are into North American soccer actually listen to radio? This might be an opportunity to expand the podcast base.
    Glad the podcast will continue, maybe can tweak it somewhat now that won't have to fit radio (whatever that might be). Maybe can consider me as one of the "younger generation soccer fan", I have downloaded and listened to every podcast since discovering it earlier this year. It is one of my few subscribed/auto-download podcasts. Never tuned in to listen on the radio though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was enjoyable radio and you didn't shy away from the issues of the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Hey guys,

Cheers,
    John Molinaro
    Hey John,
    i thought you did a fine job overall. I would say the show perhaps lacked focus; on the old show we'd get a lot of TFC and MLS every week, whereas I thought your take had more international and Europe, which I enjoy but which is in plentiful supply from a coverage standpoint.

Also, the key to getting rid of that tight throat thing when working off script is to breath steadily throughout; I had a chance to do a syndicated show and one of their critiques in crushing my ego like a beach shell was to point out that when I got tense while reading or commenting, I held my breath, leading to my throat tigthening up.

To me the big upside over Nigel and Bob was that I thought you asked more in-depth questions; it was less familial and more probing. I look forward to much more on the blog, which will then inevitably get picked up by another outlet as a show! Hah! So there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always had an issue, in this show, in that I always wanted to here it I seldom did, the time slot was poor, and even when I had an opportunity to tune it, I got the jays or raptors instead.

Never lost interest in the show, but at some point after trying to listen on a regular basis, and not doing it, I switched to over sources for my footy news, mostly the Gazzeta, and Italian and UK online radio. It happened accidentally. Even if I had been reminded last night, I would have wanted to listen.

I still believe that setting something online is the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a regular listener of the old show with Nigel Reed, and I continued to listen in weekly when Molinaro took over. I guess people didn't tune into the show enough, and that's a real shame. I'll continue to listen to the podcast though, so at least there's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another regular podcast listener of the show since day 1 here. Sad to see the show off the air, but I hope there will be more Canadian soccer contents on radio and, in a very long shot, television in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only listen to Podcasts any way.... so nothing has changed for me?

I shall continue to listen then.

Onwards!