Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another rain game at BMO ends in defeat. Feels all too familiar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blaming this game on the players is fine, as many of them didn't show up at all, but Nelsen's coaching was quite obviously a vary large part of the problem today.

First off, he basically let Bradley play AM, meaning the Revs could pack the midfield and run at Bekker all day, which is a big reason we couldn't keep control of the ball and why we kept giving up so many chances.

Defoe and Gilberto also have absolutely no idea how to play off each other. Every time Bradley would break through the middle with a 3 on 2 both Defoe and Gilberto kept running into the same areas.

Both of these things and Nelsen's unwillingness to adapt to the obvious were big reasons why we lost today. It's a lot easier to overcome missteps by players when your tactics are right than overcoming tactical missteps when your players are playing well. Unfortunately nobody did well today, including Nelsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Agreed, no coach could have thought Henry would give that ball away and throw an arm in the box, AND that Gilberto would come so close over and over again! I'm not sure how either are Nelson's fault? Sometimes all the training and planning can't make up for things like that! I'm sure once Gilberto gets one goal, he's going to score 10 in a game, or the ball is going to start going in off his butt and back of his head. Gotta fell sorry for the guy really, he had so many chances today, did literally everything right but hit the back of the net!
    I'm not saying fire Nelsen or anything like that, but he has to shoulder a huge part of the blame for todays performace. Take our back line for instance, these are not terrible players, however the way he has them playing, its a no win situation and when your back line is under continuous pressure and attackers running at you all game, shits gonna go down eventually, thats the law of averages.
    For instance, I was taught that the golden rule of defending is NEVER let the attacker turn and run at you with the ball. Something has to be done to teach our back line to compact more and get stuck in. It basics like this that Nelsen has to get his team to improve upon if he wants to be taken seriously as a professional manager.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, glad that I decided to stay at home for this one. If I'm going to watch a total shitshow, I might as well do it at home, and not standing in crap weather.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post

First off, he basically let Bradley play AM...
    Not from what I saw. Bradley pivoted quite a bit with Bekker. Made a saving tackle on at least one occasion. The issue was Bekker went back to his old "I'm not good enough to be in this league" approach - put his head down a lot. That and with Jackson useless as an outlet as he neither controls the ball nor can pass it properly, there really was only two outlets - Osorio and Bradley.

Get used to Bekker though, because if Osorio is injured, with Hall down as well, we are going to see Bekker until we either get in a new midfielder or the US team comes back from the WC.

As for the Revs, they can be had down the wings. They are not as good as us. And they really missed their best defender today. That was a game for the taking, and the combination of poor midfield play and a lack of awareness of each other did us in.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2mil4dero+santo View Post
    I'm not saying fire Nelsen or anything like that, but he has to shoulder a huge part of the blame for todays performace. Take our back line for instance, these are not terrible players, however the way he has them playing, its a no win situation and when your back line is under continuous pressure and attackers running at you all game, shits gonna go down eventually, thats the law of averages.
    For instance, I was taught that the golden rule of defending is NEVER let the attacker turn and run at you with the ball. Something has to be done to teach our back line to compact more and get stuck in. It basics like this that Nelsen has to get his team to improve upon if he wants to be taken seriously as a professional manager.
    our back line gives the ball away far too often. I don't know if the coach can do much about that. But Nelsen is walking on thin ice. After investing so much on players this season, a losing record will not be tolerated. If the team has a losing record following this home stand Nelsen is fired in mid July

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not from what I saw. Bradley pivoted quite a bit with Bekker. Made a saving tackle on at least one occasion. The issue was Bekker went back to his old "I'm not good enough to ber in this league" approach - put his head down a lot. That and with Jackson useless as an outlet as he neither controls the ball nor can pass it properly, there really was only two outlets - Osorio and Bradley.

Get used to Bekker though, because if Osorio is injured, with Hall down as well, we are going to see Bekker until we either get in a new midfielder or the US team comes back from the WC.

As for the Revs, they can be had down the wings. They are not as good as us. And they really missed their best defender today. That was a game for the taking, and the combination of poor midfield play and a lack of awareness of each other did us in.
    Sadly, our biggest mistake so far was giving Vancouver the wrong DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    our back line gives the ball away far too often. I don't know if the coach can do much about that. But Nelsen is walking on thin ice. After investing so much on players this season, a losing record will not be tolerated. If the team has a losing record following this home stand Nelsen is fired in mid July
    Respectfully, I would argue that if the coach can't do anything about our back line not getting tight and giving a way possession.... then what is the point of having a coach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen being let go watch starts soon if not now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...If the team has a losing record following this home stand Nelsen is fired in mid July
    Agreed. Its playoffs or bust and the only chance to turn around any crap run and still make it is in July. As people suggested before the season started, Bez and TL will have a list of other coaches they would consider.

We are not there yet.

Oh, and I'm pretty darn sure we are getting Laba back next season. As for Gilberto, until we have a replacement, he's here. DeRo is done - I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bought out in July if it frees up enough cap space to bring in a player. Weideman isn't good enough. Dike will come back, but he's realistically not going to be in game shape until March 2015.

Until then, all we can rely upon is time for these guys to get to know each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same shit diff yr with 40 mil in players....1 real goal in 3 games at home,and henry seems to give away almost a goal a game....jezzzzzzzz
    Last edited by reggie; 05-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/

Larson's take.

BTW, if you follow his twitter feed, he pretty much called the Henry mistake and firmly believes that Gilberto will be a great player in this league.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-03-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed the game, probably for the best it seems like.

All I can say is that these were some crucial (at home vs East team) points dropped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should have put away at least a couple of more chances today, but I agree that Nelsen's tactics are questionable.

Today's loss was particularly disappointing, considering our lineup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He makes a lot of sense. In the thread I started a few weeks ago regarding Nelsen, I asked the simple question; Is he the right man for the job? Perhaps what the club needs is a coach who focuses on scoring and not one who appears to see the game only through the eyes of a defender. Or, this team is still filled with too many mediocre players, and his coaching is not to blame. Troubling.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am not sure why many of you are all up in arms over Nelsen.

Outcome aside, it was actually an entertaining game. I guess if you believed that 3 players could make the team a dominant Superclub then I guess you'd be disappointed.

The simple fact of the matter is that over the years, TFC has squandered its draft picks. Either not drafting well or more to the point, not drafting at all. Taking flyers on short term fixes like Sturgis or Hassli that cost them depth. Relying instead on the waiver draft or re-entry draft to find domestic players.

Spending the money on the DPs simply brings TFC to parity with other clubs. The 2015 draft will be the turning point for this franchise provided they don't do something completely stupid and trade those picks for veterans to make good on Tim Leiweke's boasting. A strong core of drafted talent mixed with the talent of the DPs will be something special. We aren't there yet. Turn off the Leiweke "fixed" garbage and enjoy the fact that the team has started to turn a corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very disappointing result today. Our squad is generally good enough, and we had the home field, so no excuses. Nelson has to shoulder some of this. Orr should be playing. Henry is talented, but causes to many game changing gaffes. Becker just isn't good enough. Tentative on the ball, and mostly passes backwards. I kind of feel sorry for Gilli, and really hopes he starts knocking them in between the posts. We have to start winning at home consistently, or Nelson may not last the season.
    Last edited by Thomas; 05-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should have been a win. New England did nothing special, except TFC shooting themselves in the foot.

My new nickname for Henry is Grabby. He needs to learn that the refs are watching for his overly grabbiness and he's going to get punished for it. And desperation is not a valid defensive tactic. Can't make a simple pass under pressure? I don't know what else to say.

Gilberto is the new Vitti/Barrett. Good on you for getting yourself into position for quality chances but if you can't score a goal out of those chances, you're not good enough.

Bekker ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, again. I really believe Bekker is just as good as Osorio technically. The difference is that Osorio doesn't panic under pressure, while Bekker has composure of a retarded sock puppet.

Nelsen... I don't know what made him think replacing 2 in form players in Orr and Nakajima-Ferran (who haven't played particularly well, but he scored in 2 games in a row) was a good idea. And the subs... If a striker is cold, you have to sub him out. Putting in DeRo at 86th min isn't going to shit.

Only thing good about this game was that Bunbury had a terrible game. I'd have punched a baby if he scored.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Pookie - if we had put away our many many chances today, we would have won easily. Apart from the giveaway pass goal and the giveaway handball goal, NE didn't really have many other chances. All the chances fell to TFC.

I want to be patient with Gilberto, but he does have to start putting away some of these chances soon. An in form Gilberto today and we win easy.

I would actually suggest dropping him for a game or two, start DeRo or Weids, take Gilberto out of the spotlight and maybe that will give him a boost to come back into the team confidently and putting away these chances he is getting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He makes a lot of sense. In the thread I started a few weeks ago regarding Nelsen, I asked the simple question; Is he the right man for the job? Perhaps what the club needs is a coach who focuses on scoring and not one who appears to see the game only through the eyes of a defender. Or, this team is still filled with too many mediocre players, and his coaching is not to blame. Troubling.
    Lots of quality chances. But if the strikers just refuses to score, what else can you do?
    Though a bit too much cute cutbacks and not enough shots on goal.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe we have a talent problem with this squad. You're always going to have under-performing players on any team, but speaking in general, I think we have a fairly high level of skill and athleticism with the current TFC roster. And to me that's what makes our losses particularly hard to swallow at times; because I think we have a much better team than we are seeing. With regards to Nelsen, I am concerned about his abilities as a coach. I'm certainly not prepared to call for anyone's head at the moment because I don't think we're past any point of no return, but to put it as simply as I can: This team is not playing to it's full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    This should have been a win. New England did nothing special, except TFC shooting themselves in the foot.

My new nickname for Henry is Grabby. He needs to learn that the refs are watching for his overly grabbiness and he's going to get punished for it. And desperation is not a valid defensive tactic. Can't make a simple pass under pressure? I don't know what else to say.

Gilberto is the new Vitti/Barrett. Good on you for getting yourself into position for quality chances but if you can't score a goal out of those chances, you're not good enough.

Bekker ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, again. I really believe Bekker is just as good as Osorio technically. The difference is that Osorio doesn't panic under pressure, while Bekker has composure of a retarded sock puppet.

Nelsen... I don't know what made him think replacing 2 in form players in Orr and Nakajima-Ferran (who haven't played particularly well, but he scored in 2 games in a row) was a good idea. And the subs... If a striker is cold, you have to sub him out. Putting in DeRo at 86th min isn't going to shit.

Only thing good about this game was that Bunbury had a terrible game. I'd have punched a baby if he scored.
    Yeah, there was nothing in New England's game that really impressed me either. Dorman was pretty commanding and Mullins obviously had a great game for a rookie, but other than that, I thought we were edging them out for the most part on the pitch today. Our passing and possession were much stronger. We just couldn't find the back of the net, at least not enough to win.

Agree with you on pretty much everything else as well. Henry was worrying me more than once with his physical play. The ref seemed very eager to blow the whistle in today's match. Why play with fire like that?

And you may be bang-on about Gilberto. Unfortunately.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-03-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As entertaining as the game was, here are some things that bugged me:

Tim B and the "GEL" excuses
    TFC brought in 9 players this year. DC United a team that sits above us in the table with 7 games played brought in 15.

2010 NYRBs are the best example of "Gel" being more fiction than reality. 12 new players. A new GM. A new coach. Team was 5-2-0 through 7 games then added 2 major DPs mid way through the year and finished 1st.

Also enjoyed BMO Field being "SOLD OUT" again.
    I know the Raptors game is "SOLD OUT" tomorrow but sure would be nice for it to be "TFC SOLD OUT" in that you can walk up and buy tickets at any point in the days and hours leading up to the game. Hopefully the trend of guys not being able to find secondary buyers at or below cost on our ticket trader doesn't continue.
    Last edited by Pookie; 05-03-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I agree with Pookie - if we had put away our many many chances today, we would have won easily. Apart from the giveaway pass goal and the giveaway handball goal, NE didn't really have many other chances. All the chances fell to TFC.

I want to be patient with Gilberto, but he does have to start putting away some of these chances soon. An in form Gilberto today and we win easy.

I would actually suggest dropping him for a game or two, start DeRo or Weids, take Gilberto out of the spotlight and maybe that will give him a boost to come back into the team confidently and putting away these chances he is getting.
    Gilberto will be fine. Too much pressure on him and no service. Those factors don't help each other.

I disagree with the assessment on chances though. Mullins missed an easy one off his shin for what would have been his second in the first half. Bunbury(?) also missed an easy one when he broke in (onside) and whiffed at a redirection attempt while being challenged by Cesar. Bunbury's shot into the North End in the late stages of the game was enjoyable but could have easily put the game away for them.

They had chances too. That's what parity is about.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I don't believe we have a talent problem with this squad. You're always going to have under-performing players on any team, but speaking in general, I think we have a fairly high level of skill and athleticism with the current TFC roster. And to me that's what makes our losses particularly hard to swallow at times; because I think we have a much better team than we are seeing. With regards to Nelsen, I am concerned about his abilities as a coach. I'm certainly not prepared to call for anyone's head at the moment because I don't think we're past any point of no return, but to put it as simply as I can: This team is not playing to it's full potential.
    It comes down to service for me. Aside from Bradley, all of our mid-fielders are interchangeable and need to develop further (or be upgraded). They have moments of brilliance but also have moments of crosses into shins or simply not being able to get the ball into play. For me, the team is about 4-5 domestic players away from being something special. I would concentrate on finding mid-field and full backs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think our roster is far too talented to concede possession as often as we do and consistently deploy a counter attacking approach. We have more than enough talent to keep the opposition on it's heels on a fairly consistent basis.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's game sucked. TFC should have beaten the New England Cheapskates, and instead left with their heads between their legs. This is unacceptable. This team's much better than that.

I need a drink!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I just think our roster is far too talented to concede possession as often as we do and consistently deploy a counter attacking approach. We have more than enough talent to keep the opposition on it's heels on a fairly consistent basis.
    60-40 in favour of TFC for possession, and around 2 to 1 ratio for passes also in favour of TFC.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was not enough service. There were only a couple of good balls to Gilberto. How many times did Defoe get the ball in a good spot?

I think Bradley mailed it in, he does not want to get hurt now given WC training camp is in 2 weeks.

Nelsen had Bekker on a leash. It was obvious in person, he was being told to slow it up every time up the pitch. We threw away multiple counters as a result. Why Nelsen did that is a question I would like a journo to ask.

There were quite a few arguments between players - ones between Gilberto and Osorio, and Bradley and Jackson (when Jackson wouldn't get up), Bradley and Caldwell too ... these weren't to my eye "business as usual" spats. They are nowhere close to being a team yet.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-03-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know what to make of this. Retaken corner because the lineman is incompetent?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-penalty-vs-r

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Nelsen being let go watch starts soon if not now.
    Anytime this team isn't holding down a playoff spot this year he'll be looking over his shoulder. The league standings haven't really "settled" yet, but once they do TFC will have to be looking pretty competent. I don't think this is extrapolating negativity, as much as it lines up with what Nelsen said to the press in NZ and management's overarching desire of keeping TFC relevant.