RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the Cover story on this weeks GRID TO.

http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports...-is-fun-again/

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to post this again:

Sons of Ben have suffered a loss to their family:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ampaign=Unpaid

For those who don't know, these guys are a great group, easy to talk to and travel very well in support of their team. A real shame to hear about them loosing a core member.

Information about donations for his family are here if anyone is interested:

Sons of Ben
    ‏@SonsofBen ·20h Donations to help cover any and all expenses for the family of Eric Shertz can be made here: http://bit.ly/1ly2enL
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate what the man did to get the team here. If it wasn't for him, there would be no BMO let alone TFC. What cheeses me the most about this guy is that he left the team. He took out an ad saying he was gone to only come back when we got better players. I know he left for just an offseason but the idea of lething the reds go for even a week shouldn't ever cross the mind of a fan.

Like the lyrics of Legend TFC says (we really should go back to that song):

Through the thick,
    and the thin,
    We are loyal to the end.

This is what it means to support your team. No one should ever forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Check out the Cover story on this weeks GRID TO.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I appreciate what the man did to get the team here. If it wasn't for him, there would be no BMO let alone TFC. What cheeses me the most about this guy is that he left the team. He took out an ad saying he was gone to only come back when we got better players. I know he left for just an offseason but the idea of lething the reds go for even a week shouldn't ever cross the mind of a fan.

Through the thick,
    and the thin,
    We are loyal to the end.

He cleared that up, he actually never 'left' the team, he had great concern and never dropped his tickets despite what Nelsen went on moaning about. He just returned the seats for remaining games - donated them to charity. MLSE brass got cheesed that they were called out and ran with a fictional account of statements. If you read what David said and further went on to clarify, he just made a ponit about the turnover and constant change we were all feeling.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...anagement.html

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/wa...ednesda-night/
    Last edited by Phil; 04-24-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake then. I was under the impression that he had dropped his tickets. I know he was frustrated, like we all areally about the team's past and what he said was 100% what we all felt. I didn't know he kept going to the games.

I've had talks with him at Joe's about the team. He seemed like a guy who genuinely cared for the team. I was really disappointed/upset with Miller for dropping the tickets but I was misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    He cleared that up, he actually never 'left' the team, he had great concern and never dropped his tickets despite what Nelsen went on moaning about. He just returned the seats for remaining games - donated them to charity. MLSE brass got cheesed that they were called out and ran with a fictional account of statements. If you read what David said and further went on to clarify, he just made a ponit about the turnover and constant change we were all feeling.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...anagement.html

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/wa...ednesda-night/

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mistake then. I was under the impression that he had dropped his tickets. I know he was frustrated, like we all areally about the team's past and what he said was 100% what we all felt. I didn't know he kept going to the games.

I've had talks with him at Joe's about the team. He seemed like a guy who genuinely cared for the team. I was really disappointed/upset with Miller for dropping the tickets but I was misinformed.
    After reading the article in the Grid, he explains his frustration and echo's some of your points about support.

Its good he takes it head on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Through the thick,
    and the thin,
    We are loyal to the end.

something had to be done, and the only thing MLSE understood was $$$.
    If everyone kept buying tickets, would would still be winless & probably goaless in 2014

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A large number of people, including many that are better fans than I, dropped their tickets completely, or reduced the number of seasons tickets they had, etc. This put pressure on TFC to make prices more reasonable & to improve.

Most people disappeared quietly. A few went publicly -- or stayed but were vocal about their unhappiness. To have one of the biggest, earliest, and best-known TFC supporters publicly articulate his frustrations, and threaten to walk away, was very important IMO.

TFC has been a disaster for too long, and we aren't out of the woods yet, despite the hype and big spending. People have different ways to pressure for change & make their displeasure known. I won't judge. I never took Nelsen's comments too seriously, and they were probably taken out of context & exaggerated anyway.

The supporters incl. Miller have been around much longer than any TFC coach ever has been. Most earn a pretty penny, and are gone in a year or less, with a hefty severance package. I really prefer if they show it on the field, hype things less, and keep their negative opinions about long-suffering fans to themselves.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is some spread on TFC. Includes an interview with Defoe - at least they didn't ask about Drake first.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow, lots of errors in the Grid's "How well do you know BMO" piece.

http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports...-you-know-bmo/

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a Smoke's Poutinerie in the South End?

I feel so sheltered at times. I never leave my section during the half and usually head straight for the GO train after the match.

As for Miller, I would never hold his previous frustrations with the club against him. And like it was said, he never simply dropped his tickets just because the club was losing. He very public with his criticism for a lack of vision, leadership, and accountability from MLSE. I think Miller and people like him who did the same actually deserve a bit of credit for helping push the club to where it is now.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-25-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.