Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enough with the True Supporter stuff.
    everyone believes they're a true supporter...whatever that means.

I personally am not huge fan of friendlies, but i'm not as militant about my stance recently.

I don't go.
    But that doesn't mean I'll shit on someone's opinion.
    It's football, and some people enjoy it.

Enough of the dong measuring.
    we all support how we can, when we can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injuries, and match congestion are 2 very good reasons not to have these friendlies mid season.

Another one that tops the cake for me and I don't see being discussed much is inviting a world renowned club into our home at BMO only to have the "home" crowd be overwhelmingly pro Tottenham or Real Madrid etc...

It reminds me of Canada home games in the past that had more Jamaica fans than Canadian fans.

To me, there is just something off about subjecting your home club to that unnecessarily.

Aston-Villa, and River Plate was a pro-TFC crowd at home, but lately it's been the other way around.

Just embarrassing.

EDIT: I'm going to the game just to do my part to make sure Tottenham fans know they can eat my ass (including my friend who has TFC seasons and is a Tottenham supporter before a TFC supporter)
    Last edited by Alonso; 07-22-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Injuries, and match congestion are 2 very good reasons not to have these friendlies mid season.

Another one that tops the cake for me and I don't see being discussed much is inviting a world renowned club into our home at BMO only to have the "home" crowd be overwhelmingly pro Tottenham or Real Madrid etc...
    We need to get over this feeling. It's likely going to be happening for the foreseeable future.

Games this Wednesday including MLS teams:

TFC v Tottanham
    Crew v C. Palace
    FCD v Aston Villa
    SKC v Man City
    LA v Man U.

It's just another training session, however it allows our guys to play together in more of a competitive environment for 45min. Plus the young kids get some action in too. I don't see a problem with this. Injuries could occur on the training field as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else becoming a Palace fan for a day?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what the Expedia Projected Lineup will be....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Anyone else becoming a Palace fan for a day?
    Why Palace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Why Palace?

They're playing against the Crew

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I wonder what the Expedia Projected Lineup will be....
    I'll put my guess up and see how it compares.

1st half
    Defoe - Weideman
    Lovitz -- Bekker -- Hall -- Osorio
    Morgan -- Henry -- Richter -- Hagglund
    Konopka

2nd Half
    Hamilton -- Weideman
    Lovitz - Bekker - Hall - Aparicio
    Morgan -- Academy Kid -- Richter -- Hagglund
    Q.

Lets see if I can beat the Expedia guess.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I'll put my guess up and see how it compares.

1st half
    Defoe - Weideman
    Lovitz -- Bekker -- Hall -- Osorio
    Morgan -- Henry -- Richter -- Hagglund
    Konopka

2nd Half
    Hamilton -- Weideman
    Lovitz - Bekker - Hall - Aparicio
    Morgan -- Academy Kid -- Richter -- Hagglund
    Q.

Lets see if I can beat the Expedia guess.
    Sorry to burst your bubble already, Aparicio will leaving tomorrow for the u20 camp/Milk Cup tourney.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strait shooter View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble already, Aparicio will leaving tomorrow for the u20 camp/Milk Cup tourney.
    Darn,

So close
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley will play. I suspect as will Gilberto and Moore, at some point.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everyone, to each their own. I'm not going, but I'm sure everyone who does will have a great time, and an opportunity to see EPL opposition at that. For myself, friendlies just don't do it for me (except, if perhaps Leeds United was the opposition), but I understand the appeal for some people. As for the Spurs fans possibly outnumbering us in our house for one game, who cares - not like we'll see those people again anyways (unless they also happen to be TFC fans). I'd be more concerned if we were outnumbered at home for a competitive match (a la Jamaica).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we'll see any trailist or guest players in this game, as we have in friendlies in the past? Maybe Pasher?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFCA v Durham, cup game, same eve in OshWa. So I don't think the academy will be part of the evening festivities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It reminds me of Canada home games in the past that had more Jamaica fans than Canadian fans.

To me, there is just something off about subjecting your home club to that unnecessarily.

Aston-Villa, and River Plate was a pro-TFC crowd at home, but lately it's been the other way around.

Just embarrassing.

EDIT: I'm going to the game just to do my part to make sure Tottenham fans know they can eat my ass (including my friend who has TFC seasons and is a Tottenham supporter before a TFC supporter)

These games are marketed to the visitor supporter groups to get more than a one off sale-the email marketing mlse does needs to get new email addresses and people into the MLSE system. It is the same thing when you see the "join the wating list today" stuff. The only THFC supporter who would not sign up for this type of game is hard to imagine. And they are keen to see anyone wear their shirt just like i would be seeing tfc academy and trialist types in florida.

just remember this is the marketing of mlse. If it didnt work, they wouldnt do it.

liewicki did say his ambibtion for tfc was to be the first $50M revenue team in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeachTory View Post
    These games are marketed to the visitor supporter groups to get more than a one off sale-the email marketing mlse does needs to get new email addresses and people into the MLSE system. It is the same thing when you see the "join the wating list today" stuff. The only THFC supporter who would not sign up for this type of game is hard to imagine. And they are keen to see anyone wear their shirt just like i would be seeing tfc academy and trialist types in florida.

just remember this is the marketing of mlse. If it didnt work, they wouldnt do it.

liewicki did say his ambibtion for tfc was to be the first $50M revenue team in MLS.

To me this is akin to selling your soul for a dollar (selling seats in your home stadium to others who would then defile and cheer against the home team). And to me this has been the problem of MLSE since day one.

I aspire to this philosophy: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls...cle776898.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KC is playing MAN CITY...I guess that's not a money grab,its all going to charity..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this is akin to selling your soul for a dollar (selling seats in your home stadium to others who would then defile and cheer against the home team). And to me this has been the problem of MLSE since day one.

I aspire to this philosophy: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls...cle776898.html
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    KC is playing MAN CITY...I guess that's not a money grab,its all going to charity..
    The point being this isn't an MLSE issue, it's an MLS MANDATE.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The point being this isn't an MLSE issue, it's an MLS MANDATE.
    I don't think it's a MANDATE.

If it was, these clubs would be in trouble since they aren't hosting a friendly this year.

New England
    Montreal
    Chivas
    Portland
    Colorado
    Vancouver

It's a huge REVENUE opportunity though. MLS clubs keep half of their gate receipts for regular season games but MLS allows them to keep 100% of the revenue for friendlies.

That's why we have to "get used to it."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

If it was, these clubs would be in trouble since they aren't hosting a friendly this year.

New England
    Montreal
    Chivas
    Portland
    Colorado
    Vancouver

It's a huge REVENUE opportunity though. MLS clubs keep half of their gate receipts for regular season games but MLS allows them to keep 100% of the revenue for friendlies.

To be fair Portland has the All Star game versus Bayern so I guess that would take the place of a friendly (in terms of revenue a bit).

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL is tweeting stuff like #trophiesnotfriendlies

Its a part of what are club wants to be. They want world competition and high profile opponents, just like LA. Its clear MLSE and Tim L want Toronto to be a 'soccer' hotbed.

If it helps attract the right players and maybe get us loans of useful players, I can't say that its a massive issue. I would prefer better timing on these games overall though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New England
    Montreal
    Chivas
    Portland
    Colorado
    Vancouver

or why not host more games like olympiakos vs. ac milan...fans get to see european teams and tfc could charge a boatload

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    or why not host more games like olympiakos vs. ac milan...fans get to see european teams and tfc could charge a boatload
    Those events may use BMO field, but its not a MLSE event.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I had a great time at the open training and will tonight too. It's awesome being that close up to an EPL team in training. The speed is soooo much faster than MLS. And those practices are intense. It's really cool to see what drills they run the players through too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle pretty much played an A team. It would be nice if Nelsen didn't embarrass TFC i.e. Bekker/Hall will get torn apart, although I do like the idea of Hamilton going 90 and Bekker and Lovitz getting substantial minutes. Back line will need Henry and Hagglund most of the night to stand a chance.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New England
    Montreal
    Chivas
    Portland
    Colorado
    Vancouver

I'm sorry I thought this was known. Teams can skip a year but it's suggested to get these friendly dates filled. If you are so inclined I am also interested in the longest stint a team has got away with no friendlies. I would be astounded and impressed if it was 3 years or longer.

So its true its not written anywhere but it surely is a mandate from the league.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the timing is tough but its exposure.

its a dog and pony show, and european teams love to be a part of it.

Its a chance to buy them dinner, and pick up players like Defoe while selling or loaning them players like Henry and Hagglund

plus, Id rather pay less for my tickets and MSLE makes their money on these games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    that was an example; what would stop MLSE from organizing friendlies in Toronto between two European sides?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL is tweeting stuff like #trophiesnotfriendlies
    Yeah, but who wants to play a friendly in SL at altitude?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke was at the presser announcing that game and some commercial deal with the firm that runs the Guinness Cup was announced.

I think MLSE is involved.

EDIT: Here is the press release http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1377...rship-tomorrow