Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Danny Rose is going to be under massive pressure now that Ben Davies has been signed. He looked like he wanted to show some passion, but it just came across as aggressive. Davies may well end up being the fiest choice left back come the start of the season.

I had a feeling that he might be one the players fighting for a spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I didn't notice whether he gave up on the play or not, but let's be fair people that was a suicide pass from Richter. I doubt anyone on our team would have been able to control that. Even if he did he was under a lot of pressure before the pass was even played. Really bad decision from Richter.
    ^^^ THIS! ^^^

It was a 100% suicide pass. Bekker didn't lose it. He did his best to salvage it. Richter hit it too hard and a full meter to Bekker's left leaving him stretching for contact. The ball is stolen and Bekker was stuck doing the splitz. TFC had a reasonable run of possession going there and one bad pass and we lose the match! No blame to Bekker as far as I'm concerned. I suppose this is the type of thing that happens when you bring in players who haven't played on the squad in months although it didn't hurt Hamilton or Wiedeman. Nice finishing boys!

Ah well, it was only a friendly and now we all know why Bloom is here and Richter isn't.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 07-23-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I agree with you all give Bekker some Wilmington time just to wake him up. Hopefully Hamilton will get some minutes as the season progresses . All in all a decent result since this was a meaningless game.
    Why not see if Ottawa will take him on loan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Agreed. Get rid of all-star game and let the teams play a friendly game or two without worrying about league games.
    I didn't say get rid of the all-star game at all; I said the opposite, make it into the cornerstone even MLS is trying to make it look like by getting rid of all other possible distractions around it. MLS seems to be very clear in their message that in order to grow, they need to play these games and they feel they are necessary to play (I don't agree), but regardless, they need to cut out a time that doesn't affect the quality that could be played and can maximize the effectiveness MLS is trying to give these ideas/games.

For sake of argument using this year as an example, have a break in the schedule from July 20th to August 2nd and make the July 25-27 weekend the 'all-star' weekend where you have the various all-star events, maybe have the supporters summit if that is revived/still going, putting on the weekend makes it more travel-able for the average fan/supporter.

Having games clogged up in the middle of a season around busy time of the schedule, playing the ASG during CCL dates etc...just hinders what MLS wants to make of the events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    ^^^ THIS! ^^^

It was a 100% suicide pass. Bekker didn't lose it. He did his best to salvage it. Richter hit it too hard and a full meter to Bekker's left leaving him stretching for contact. The ball is stolen and Bekker was stuck doing the splitz. TFC had a reasonable run of possession going there and one bad pass and we lose the match! No blame to Bekker as far as I'm concerned. I suppose this is the type of thing that happens when you bring in players who haven't played on the squad in months although it didn't hurt Hamilton or Wiedeman. Nice finishing boys!

Ah well, it was only a friendly and now we all know why Bloom is here and Richter isn't.
    played with his left foot no less right? we have a total of 0 left footed centre backs; I think in the next year, TFC should make it a priority to acquire a left footed, ball playing centre back; was quite evident it was needed today; would have helped alleviate a lot of the pressure Tottenham put the back 4 on; would certainly work well against the higher pressure teams in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    played with his left foot no less right? we have a total of 0 left footed centre backs; I think in the next year, TFC should make it a priority to acquire a left footed, ball playing centre back; was quite evident it was needed today; would have helped alleviate a lot of the pressure Tottenham put the back 4 on; would certainly work well against the higher pressure teams in MLS
    Like O'Dea? Haha

It's unfortunate with that giveaway because Richter had the simplest of passes to his left to Morgan, or if he was quick he could've switched it to Hagglund. He had better options even if he got the pass inch perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like O'Dea? Haha

It's unfortunate with that giveaway because Richter had the simplest of passes to his left to Morgan, or if he was quick he could've switched it to Hagglund. He had better options even if he got the pass inch perfect.
    I think nelsen, based on the way the defenders were passing the ball more up the centre a lot more today, encouraged his players to take more chances today...saw it work a few times today where passes weren't the safest option

i'd rather more of a jan vertonghen type

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like O'Dea? Haha

I would have accepted an old fashioned thump down field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    I was going to stay up and watch this (on at midnight here) but there are no academy kids playing. Only reason I watch these is to see players I don't normally get to watch. Will PVR it and scan through after work tomorrow. Hopefully Roberts and Hamilton get a few minutes.

I think you'll be happy with both of their performances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have accepted an old fashioned thump down field.

I forgot about this game, can't believe it... oh well. I will have to watch it tommorow. This a good result for us, our depth seems to be improving and overall that is a huge step for MLS. It won't be long until the Hall's of the league are on their way out... glad Hamilton had a good game, wish he had more of flashier star type of name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Bekker's problem is he has zero football IQ. That can't be taught or coached.
    I don't think football IQ is the issue. What is about him that makes you think he can't read the game? He's decent on set pieces and has a range of passing few players on our team do. I would say that ranks favourably in terms of his understanding of the game.

He just strikes me as 1) too lazy / entitled to track back 2) really not buying into what Nelsen is coaching. He's trying to play a style of game that simply doesn't exist on this team and doesn't fit in with his teammates.

We had trade offers last year, I'd pull the trigger on one if they were still around. He'd have more value to a possession based team than he would to ours, that's not going to eliminate his flaws but it might motivate him to work on his game more. We can take someone else's reclamation project that would fit better in our system.

I don't think a trip to North Carolina is going to accomplish much for him.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-23-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rofl at you people railing Bekker for the Spurs winner, forgetting the horrific pass by Richter he's lucky Bekker even attempted to get a foot on it. Our biggest scrubs got exposed, just like you might expect on paper. Hamilton was MLS ready this year but it was never in the cards for him after TFC's off-season, hopefully he goes to Europe if there's no intent to give him a role next year either. Q is also a stud who should probably look elsewhere. Good second half from them and DeRo, Lovitz and The Best Finisher of the Modern Era. Oso was solid too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't think football IQ is the issue. What is about him that makes you think he can't read the game? He's decent on set pieces and has a range of passing few players on our team do. I would say that ranks favourably in terms of his understanding of the game.

He just strikes me as 1) too lazy / entitled to track back 2) really not buying into what Nelsen is coaching. He's trying to play a style of game that simply doesn't exist on this team and doesn't fit in with his teammates.

We had trade offers last year, I'd pull the trigger on one if they were still around. He'd have more value to a possession based team than he would to ours, that's not going to eliminate his flaws but it might motivate him to work on his game more. We can take someone else's reclamation project that would fit better in our system.

I don't think a trip to North Carolina is going to accomplish much for him.
    Football IQ is most definitely NOT Bekker's problem. I like the kid a lot. His passing, when it is on, can be absolutely sublime. Who else remembers (from earlier this year) a ball from the left wing he put on Defoe's chest in the box. Defoe skimmed it over the bar unfortunately but that ball had no business even getting to him. Bekker can play this game at a good level. As for his flaws, ya, he's got some work to do but think about this, when Floro dropped Tiebert from Canada, he kept Bekker.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 07-23-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Rofl at you people railing Bekker for the Spurs winner, forgetting the horrific pass by Richter he's lucky Bekker even attempted to get a foot on it. Our biggest scrubs got exposed, just like you might expect on paper. Hamilton was MLS ready this year but it was never in the cards for him after TFC's off-season, hopefully he goes to Europe if there's no intent to give him a role next year either. Q is also a stud who should probably look elsewhere. Good second half from them and DeRo, Lovitz and The Best Finisher of the Modern Era. Oso was solid too.
    If Hamilton keeps progressing he'll get his chance in the first team next year. Besides Defoe we have no players locked into a starting role up top, if Hamilton deserves a sniff he'll be there. We didn't give him a homegrown contract to prevent him from going the NCAA route for nothing.

As for Roberts, he's 19. Where would a 19 year old GK look elsewhere? He has a starting position now with Wilmington, good luck finding the same at his age and position in any relevant league. He'll also get his chance, but he's more long term, as is the norm with keepers. Andre Blake, 23 years young and the first overall 2014 draft pick still hasn't seen the pitch because he's stuck behind MacMath in Philadelphia. Roberts is in a good place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anybody know who the guy sitting next to TL was?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Agreed. Get rid of all-star game and let the teams play a friendly game or two without worrying about league games.
    Ever been to one?

Chelsea vs MLS All Stars in Philly was one of the highlights of my support for MLS.

Excellent tempo with two teams that didn't want to lose. Great event

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't say get rid of the all-star game at all; I said the opposite, make it into the cornerstone even MLS is trying to make it look like by getting rid of all other possible distractions around it. MLS seems to be very clear in their message that in order to grow, they need to play these games and they feel they are necessary to play (I don't agree), but regardless, they need to cut out a time that doesn't affect the quality that could be played and can maximize the effectiveness MLS is trying to give these ideas/games.

For sake of argument using this year as an example, have a break in the schedule from July 20th to August 2nd and make the July 25-27 weekend the 'all-star' weekend where you have the various all-star events, maybe have the supporters summit if that is revived/still going, putting on the weekend makes it more travel-able for the average fan/supporter.

Having games clogged up in the middle of a season around busy time of the schedule, playing the ASG during CCL dates etc...just hinders what MLS wants to make of the events
    That's big of you seeing it from the leagues marketing perspective. Seriously. I don't see it being likely just because lengthening a season for a break makes the season sooooo long and we know that owners won't cut out games/money out of the schedule.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    anybody know who the guy sitting next to TL was?
    Daniel Levy - chairman of Spurs - the guy that TL had to persuade to sell Defoe. A lot of the last two days was about making him feel special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Daniel Levy - chairman of Spurs - the guy that TL had to persuade to sell Defoe. A lot of the last two days was about making him feel special.
    no, the guy with the longer hair?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just a hunch of mine, but I feel that Tottenham took their foot off the gas, so to speak, in the second half and were content to let TFC back into the game. Spurs pressure was dialled way back. Defoe and Gilberto had been under a blanket in the first half, then Weideman and Hamilton were finding all kinds of space? TFC were making passes and Spurs were not intercepting.
    We can worry about Richter's play, but I felt that Spurs were in a holding pattern and felt that they could turn it back on at any time.They did.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    This is just a hunch of mine, but I feel that Tottenham took their foot off the gas, so to speak, in the second half and were content to let TFC back into the game. Spurs pressure was dialled way back. Defoe and Gilberto had been under a blanket in the first half, then Weideman and Hamilton were finding all kinds of space? TFC were making passes and Spurs were not intercepting.
    We can worry about Richter's play, but I felt that Spurs were in a holding pattern and felt that they could turn it back on at any time.They did.
    They made some pretty heavy changes in the second half as did we. Their back line did make it look easier to get in though. When Tottenham wanted to score, they made it look super easy.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    They made some pretty heavy changes in the second half as did we. Their back line did make it look easier to get in though. When Tottenham wanted to score, they made it look super easy.
    Which is funny since Dawson was their captain last year. I'm still not sure he's that good. Kaboul looked better to me. Kaboul is also a monster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They stopped pressing.

From what I saw they went from a 4-1-2-3 to a flat 4-4-2 in the second half. DeRo and Osorio did a lot of work in the second half as well, emulating Lovitz who just got stuck in. But, they gave up space between midfield and the back line. Any EPL scout there last night would have noticed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

An MLS ready 18 year old? ya I don't think so. Best thing for him this year was to play down in Wilmington. He gets semi-pro experience and fuck up all he wants without serious repercussions to his confidence.

He won't be a TFC starter for at least a couple years. And IMO he should come off the bench before that even happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game started pretty slow and the atmosphere at BMO was pretty muted. I'm surprised how quiet the Spurs supporters were except for a few minutes at the start. The game really warmed up though and the second half was fantastic. In the end I was really entertained. Think Jordan Hamilton was the real winner. Everyone I saw after was impressed by him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure everyone calling out Bekker was referring to his casual jog down the field after the bad pass, not the pass or the miss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ever been to one?

Chelsea vs MLS All Stars in Philly was one of the highlights of my support for MLS.

Excellent tempo with two teams that didn't want to lose. Great event
    West Ham vs MLS All Stars in Toronto was so much fun to watch.

I personally believe All-Star game from soccer POV is a waste of time. There's no benefit from players side to play in all-star game unless you're auditioning to big clubs who might be watching the game. Even that is a long shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not see if Ottawa will take him on loan?
    I'll take him here in Ottawa on loan. The Fury have a lot of workman like players but little creativity...if that's what you want to call what Bekker brings to the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, the guy with the longer hair?
    yes the guy with the long hair,maybe he was courting another player?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Spurs perspective http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/...ical-analysis/

Good analysis of their tactics.