Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Hamilton had one helluva 45mins. If he keeps developing like he is right now...
    ...he won't be here much longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker could probably benefit from some time in Wilmington. Maybe once Bloom is healthy again since then Creavalle will move to CM depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd put full money on Jordan Hamilton being the third choice striker next year and starting the year after

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    ...he won't be here much longer.
    We just inked him in the offseason. I would think we have at least two more years under contract.

Although with the amount of talent and natural ability he has, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came knocking wanting to pay a fee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiedemann was outstanding.

Great finish, nifty little redirect pass to Hamilton to set up the goal, won multiple 1v1 and 1v2 battles for the ball.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree...weeds was outstanding tonight.bekker,morgan,hall,yikes..
    Last edited by reggie; 07-23-2014 at 08:33 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be duly noted that when Hamilton scored, the crowd erupted more than for the Spurs goals.
    That goal was sweet from pass to pass to goal.

Hagglund..... Woof.

I'd like to see Hamilton and Defoe next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker is playing himself out of the league. His first have effort was disgraceful and his long floating passes were naive at best. I was very impressed with Hamilton. The Weedman deserves to stick around if he keeps that effort up and Q is growing into his position nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first half!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the deal with the Spurs player wearing what appeared to be a sports bra? They showed him briefly when they were exchanging jerseys and milling about at the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    What was the deal with the Spurs player wearing what appeared to be a sports bra? They showed him briefly when they were exchanging jerseys and milling about at the end.
    It's a heart rate monitor. Lots of elite clubs wear them in pre-season & training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, ok. They really need to make one that looks a bit more manly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'll also note that Wiedeman, I still believe, has real potential. He's only 24 and getting stronger as a player; he's always been a decent finisher. When given service tonight, he used it, and when given a first touch in front of the box, he set up Hamilton.

He should get some time off the bench.
    if Wiedeman can distill his poacher's instinct into consistency... dude hardly gets involved in a game, except for that one or 2 plays when gets into right spaces at the right time.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Nothing stopping them. These teams come at a price, if you put two teams there, its double the price and doesn nothing for your brand.

This is an expercise by the MLS and owners to grow their brand internationally. Simple as that.
    there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. It is time for MLS to evolve. If they want these games to be a key part of the summer, then they should make it a marquee type of event. The way they are being thrown at us and scheduled is intolerable.

Imagine if they threw in a 2 week All-start break at the end of July. Every team in MLS had to play at least two friendlies during this break and you could have a big festive All-star game in the middle on a weekend and really make an event out of it. You could also really expand the International Champions Cup they are doing and involve MLS teams too...tonight was a perfect example of our first team players not needing to play; it showed in the first half

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And yet at times tonight he was really exceptional offensively.

I think he's Freddy Adu redux. He has a better shot but Freddy is better with the ball at his feet. And they're both only good going in one direction.

Maybe the thing to do with Bekker is to recognize this and play him as a false nine/number 10, a Baggio-style player in the hole who can rip one off from distance but also feed guys in front of him and wide.

Certainly playing him as a two-way midfielder is just a lost cause.
    Agreed. Bekker just cannot play in a system that expects him to contribute defensively. He can play as AM, but that also needs him to overcome his biggest problem which is composure under pressure. He needs to go to Wilmington badly.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. It is time for MLS to evolve. If they want these games to be a key part of the summer, then they should make it a marquee type of event. The way they are being thrown at us and scheduled is intolerable.

Imagine if they threw in a 2 week All-start break at the end of July. Every team in MLS had to play at least two friendlies during this break and you could have a big festive All-star game in the middle on a weekend and really make an event out of it. You could also really expand the International Champions Cup they are doing and involve MLS teams too...tonight was a perfect example of our first team players not needing to play; it showed in the first half
    Agreed. Get rid of all-star game and let the teams play a friendly game or two without worrying about league games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post

Jeez this is a good idea.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

without a neutral MLS Cup final game, MLS all star game becomes the sponsorship driven dog and pony show for the league. mainly for marketing purposes. it's not going away.

as for 2 weeks break for friendlies, a team can request certain week off as bye week. games can also be moved to accomodate friendlies. and there won't be any time next few years with Copa America USA next year and Gold Cup the year after.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I was watching the match tonight I was wondering what do the Wilmington supporters think of Hall? Is NASL his speed or is he so shit that they feel themselves balding and greying by just watching him nonchalantly trotting around the pitch like I do.

Also thinking about that idiot ESPN commentator's piece yesterday that Canadian NBAers don't have the drive of Americans or Europeans to succeed, well if he said that about Bekker then he'd be bang on. Never seen a player give less of a shit about even trying to make an impression than him. Having him perma benched at the club now is a waste. Time for Wilmington to try to gain some desire and if after that he can't cut it next pre-season then it's off to collecting shopping carts at Loblaws.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    if Wiedeman can distill his poacher's instinct into consistency... dude hardly gets involved in a game, except for that one or 2 plays when gets into right spaces at the right time.
    There are many other strikers who have had great careers doing hardly anything in games but score vital goals - Gary Lineker comes to mind as one! Wiedeman has that instinct that you can't teach players, they either have it or don't. But he's also the type of player you want when you have a good team already built around him, and you can afford to have a player who isn't going to get involved apart from score that needed goal. We aren't in that position to have that type of player in the first 11 just yet, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    Ah, ok. They really need to make one that looks a bit more manly.
    I don't think that they care what you think ;-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got to take a game like this for what its worth - a glorified training exercise. But you also want to see some of your depth players make a statement and show they are worthwhile - I thought Lovitz had a good game and kept himself involved, and Weids and Hamilton stood out and look like they put the effort in. Hagglund was also reasonable too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you all give Bekker some Wilmington time just to wake him up. Hopefully Hamilton will get some minutes as the season progresses . All in all a decent result since this was a meaningless game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great showing in the second half. Hamilton looked like a gem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker's problem is he has zero football IQ. That can't be taught or coached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's entirely taught/coached. Though I agree, at this stage in his career it might be too late for him to significantly enhance that side of the game to where he could could play significant minutes on a good team. Too bad, I really wanted him to do well when we got him last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight Lovitz really impressed me, could be a draft day steal if he continues to develope. Again Bekker shows flashes but stops playing not sure what can be done, have a feeling a trip to wilmington will have no effect on his bad habits.

What was up with Danny Rose? twice very unnecessary challenges on Dero and then chirps the ref. Then I believe it was number 44 with a crazy slide tackle on Dero in my opinion should have been a red card especially since the game
    was going so gentlemanly as a game can be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So true. Somebody who is thinking quickly when you lose the ball in the middle like that, gets up, chases back, and fouls the Spurs player. Take a yellow card for if it you get one, but you stop the attack straight away. If you just jog back gently, you aren't doing anything at all. I know this was a friendly, but we've seen Bekker do this before, and its annoying as hell. You gotta put a player under pressure, or draw a foul and stop the player, anything but jog back gently like there is no urgency in the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikers View Post
    Tonight Lovitz really impressed me, could be a draft day steal if he continues to develope. Again Bekker shows flashes but stops playing not sure what can be done, have a feeling a trip to wilmington will have no effect on his bad habits.

What was up with Danny Rose? twice very unnecessary challenges on Dero and then chirps the ref. Then I believe it was number 44 with a crazy slide tackle on Dero in my opinion should have been a red card especially since the game
    was going so gentlemanly as a game can be.
    Danny Rose is going to be under massive pressure now that Ben Davies has been signed. He looked like he wanted to show some passion, but it just came across as aggressive. Davies may well end up being the fiest choice left back come the start of the season.