Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tottenham friendly July 23

Just got the email. Presale April 24-28 for your seats if you're SSH, and then April 29 to get additional.

Who the eff is going to watch this???

Tottenham ain't what she used to be, and this reeks of the meaningless cash grab to me.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the Tottenham thats sixth in the EPL right now?

Remind me what they used to be again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    You mean the Tottenham thats sixth in the EPL right now?

Remind me what they used to be again?
    Hahaha. Come on. I'm talking about the Tottenham that used to run for the top four and played exciting football (or was that just Bale?).

Anyway, back on topic, I do think this is fucking annoying, TFC-wise: this friendly will be played three days before we play one of the toughest conference opponents - Sporting KC - who are riding the top of the table right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Soldado and Gilberto can compare notes? Ha ha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Maybe Soldado and Gilberto can compare notes? Ha ha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheer up....we have a definite date for when the pitch has to be good by.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going to this. I get that the club is obligated to schedule these by the league but the only way we can get the message through to the league that we don't want these is to not go. they'll stop eventually. Just have to treat these like they never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Not going to this. I get that the club is obligated to schedule these by the league but the only way we can get the message through to the league that we don't want these is to not go. they'll stop eventually. Just have to treat these like they never happen.
    They wont stop, because we wont stop filling the seats. If we dont go, Tottenham fans will go as will a bunch of people who dont really follow the team, looking for a spectacle.

Everybody should have demanded a refund after the Liverpool game. Paying top dollar to watch both teams trot out 22 guys in a no sub limit, training exercise was abhorrent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this friendly is likely part of Defoe's transfer deal
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going to go but not as upset about this as previous because at least we get some utility out of this (part of defoe deal as yohan stated above). We will get Roma again a couple times in the next few years as part of the Bradley deal as well.

MLSE can get people to spend money at BMO who would other wise not set foot, this game ain't for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least it's not Newell's Old Boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I'd rather watch NOB then spurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I'd actually prefer that to Spurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[mod delete - this post was stirring things up]
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-22-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: rival post stirring things up

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep the non TFC related rivalry crap out of this forum

there are many Spurs/TFC supporters on this forum
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    keep the non TFC related rivalry crap out of this forum

there are many Spurs/TFC supporters on this forum
    "Crap". Sorry for showing my passion mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    [mod delete - this post was stirring things up]
    Really??!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Really??!!
    Yes, really. There is a another thread for that. Feel free to talk amongst your fellow supporters.

here
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are a TFC supporter, how cool will it be to see JD take on his former club from Northeast London. I always enjoy these friendlies, how could you not enjoy seeing the Reds take the pitch.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    If you are a TFC supporter, how cool will it be to see JD take on his former club from Northeast London. I always enjoy these friendlies, how could you not enjoy seeing the Reds take the pitch.
    And there you have it - between this type of sentiment and the casual "oh shit, Tottenham's in town, let's go see" tourism, these friendlies won't stop.

I would much sooner go watch Chelsea play another world-class club in a friendly than this sort of thing. The United-Celtic game at Rogers Centre type thing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    MLS franchise operators keep 50% of all MLS gate receipts. The rest gets shared with the league.

They keep 100% of all gate receipts from friendlies.

A half full BMO nets MLSE the same revenue. The message doesn't need to go to the league. This is a cash grab plain and simple. Just hope no one gets injured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"get used to it" - kevin payne

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully we can see Konopka and Bendik both get some playing time at this game

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a game if you are interesting in seeing Spurs, you will go, if not, you won't. Simple as that.

I haven't been to the last few TFC friendlies (I won't even remember who they were against?!). I think last I went to was Real Madrid.

Spurs is my fathers team, and I've always followed them a little just because of his interested, so I might actually go to this game just because of that. Any other Premiership teams that aren't one of the top 4 (plus Man U) wouldn't interested me as I have no affiliation with them at all. Spurs at least holds some personal interest for me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't like it, don't go. It's not worth complaining about. This game is all about behind-the-scenes backscratching.

Leiweke was connected, via AEG, to Spurs stadium dealings not long ago. MLSE are now helping Spurs sort out commercial details of their new stadium project. Word is that Spurs new ground will be home to London's incoming NFL franchise and, since Wembley can't work long term for a full NFL season, is being re-designed by architects Populous to expand capacity above 65,000 and accommodate both sports.

The payback for MLSE is that a grateful NFL swings a franchise into Toronto.

I'm a Spurs fan but I'm not going apeshit about seeing them. If they try to tag us with a heavy ticket price, I can give it a miss. I'd rather use the money to pay a scalper for an Elbow concert ticket.

Spurs've got some useful players that won't be at the World Cup - Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Adebayor - so they'll get a decent run out. Their academy has produced two players - Nabil Bentaleb, 19, and Harry Kane, 20 - who are now regular starters and it'll be good to see them as well. But a big chunk of the squad is involved in the World Cup so we're not likely to see much of their best players, which would be par for the course for any top side visiting here in a World Cup year. We'll be cheering for laundry.

I've enjoyed these games in the past. The Real Madrid visit was truly a treat. That was lively and full of skill and worth every penny. But I found interesting moments and players to watch when Villa or West Ham or Bolton were here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    You don't like it, don't go. It's not worth complaining about. This game is all about behind-the-scenes backscratching.
    Disagree.

If one likes it or not this is precisely the forum to voice your opinion on it. As long as one manages their expectation as to what it will affect outside of this forum.

Feel free to go if it's your thing. Feel free to lay out the reasons why these meaningless mid season friendlies happen. I, too, hope no one is hurt.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. Its a game we knew was coming, its part of the Defoe deal.

Those who want to go - enjoy! Great way to see two teams you like at a place like BMO field.

If you don't want to go, save your money and stay home. Easy stuff here!
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Meh. Its a game we knew was coming, its part of the Defoe deal.

Those who want to go - enjoy! Great way to see two teams you like at a place like BMO field.

If you don't want to go, save your money and stay home. Easy stuff here!
    In a nutshell everyone. See how simple it is?

I will take it as likely my one and only opportunity to rock a TFC jersey and a Gunner's scarf and get two games worth of chirping for the price of one (well probably actually closer to 2)

Prediction: 5-2 TFC

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably won't be going because its a world cup year and typically the visiting teams are void of the people I would really enjoy seeing on the pitch.

As for injuries, the risk to me is just as high about sustaining one in practice so I have dialed that rage down. The players want to play in these events, often times it gives the ability to have a dialogue with a Euro team (I am pretty sure Roma visiting had a part in at least Michael Bradley thinking this was a good city).

So I don't outright support them, but I do realize there is bigger picture stuff going on. If you think its only the MLS, I watched Celtic play Benfica at BMO a few years ago on an international break - imagine both teams flying across the Atlantic to play a firendly at BMO...
    Last edited by Phil; 04-23-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer is still a struggling sport in North America, despite the growth recently. I remember going to London Laser games back in the old CSL. That league lasted, what, 5 years? Point being, there is a lot of work still to do to keep the sport growing here and recent success shouldn't be taken for granted. To me these friendlies are all part of increasing the profile of soccer.

And I will be going. Spurs might be a fun team to watch again by then.