Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is amazing...unlike our fair weather fans,that find a way to whine about anything...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    supporting a mid-season meaningless money grabbing friendly...that is almost certainly on another level...wouldn't call that 'amazing'
    This might come as a shock to you, but some fans just like to support their team. It was a bye week, they have the best team in the league, and 55 thousand people thought it worth their while to come out and watch their club take on a Premier League team. But of course we're completely above that here in Toronto.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ amazing for Seattle too since franchise owner-operators keep 100% of the ticket revenue for these games.

There was a reason Kevin Payne said "get used to it."

I don't see the attraction of a game vs a club team but I do think MLS got its all star game right. I took in Chelsea vs MLS All Stars in Philly and that was a great game. Both sides played as if they were interested and you felt as though you got your money's worth with an outcome that was up for grabs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    This might come as a shock to you, but some fans just like to support their team. It was a bye week, they have the best team in the league, and 55 thousand people thought it worth their while to come out and watch their club take on a Premier League team. But of course we're completely above that here in Toronto.
    i am sure if dempsey tore his acl or something in a meaningless midseason game; bye or no bye, they wouldn't mind that cuz hey, at least they got watch their meaningless game instead of focusing on the supporters shield and mls cup

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i am sure if dempsey tore his acl or something in a meaningless midseason game; bye or no bye, they wouldn't mind that cuz hey, at least they got watch their meaningless game instead of focusing on the supporters shield and mls cup
    Interesting point. Why focus at all on supporters shield? In a league with playoffs, it means absolutely nothing.

If Dempsey hurts his ACL chasing the shield, that's something to get pissy about too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure that after the inevitable 11 zillionth post pointing out that fans who like or go to friendlies are either not true fans or are idiots, I am so bored.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At $45 for my seat, it will be good entertainment. And I, for one, will not be ashamed of wearing a TFC jersey that night. Is it everybody's idea of support? No.

Will I stomp my feet like I will on Saturday? No

But, I will enjoy watching the guys I support play a team I'll never see otherwise.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-22-2014 at 07:52 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am sure that after the inevitable 11 zillionth post pointing out that fans who like or go to friendlies are either not true fans or are idiots, I am so bored.
    This reminds of something Kevin Payne said...

I'd say the same about those posts that bore you.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Interesting point. Why focus at all on supporters shield? In a league with playoffs, it means absolutely nothing.

If Dempsey hurts his ACL chasing the shield, that's something to get pissy about too.
    This thread concerns a friendly. I'm sure there's a playoffs vs Supporters Shield thread to be started if there isn't one. It would be gangbusters.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens if that injury occurs during practice?

At some point we have to accept injuries can happen at any time. I am not a huge fan of the friendlies, but this flawed line of thinking (I held it for a long time too) is silly. The guest team does not want injuries, neither do we. The players actually do want to play these types of games too, so who am I to decide whats best for them?
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think this will be an interesting game.

As much as People think they are useless, as much as people think our players (and theirs) don't care

With the SSH pricing and Defoe playing his former team (with him being suspended now for Saturday) it will at the very least be entertaining, as well as seeing some of the youngsters get some minutes (Hammerheads and Academy).

Personally, I'd love to see Jordan Hamilton get 45 minutes against Tottenham and see what he can do.

I still pray that no one hurts themselves.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

At some point we have to accept injuries can happen at any time. I am not a huge fan of the friendlies, but this flawed line of thinking (I held it for a long time too) is silly. The guest team does not want injuries, neither do we. The players actually do want to play these types of games too, so who am I to decide whats best for them?
    Sorry Phil but I have to interject here. Everyone going please feel free to go see some stars and entertainment but injuries sustained in a friendly midseason while competing for trophies isn't training. Training must be done. These don't but for the league and the way the league is sold.

It's our prerogative as supporters to prioritize. In the end we don't have final say but here, we have that say.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Sorry Phil but I have to interject here. Everyone going please feel free to go see some stars and entertainment but injuries sustained in a friendly midseason while competing for trophies isn't training. Training must be done. These don't but for the league and the way the league is sold.

It's our prerogative as supporters to prioritize. In the end we don't have final say but here, we have that say.
    To me this is charged training LOL.

My priority will always be on games that have tangable results, I just don't think its the end of the world that they play against some other oppostion to measure different players (or fringe ones).

Now Duane Rollins had an interesting idea that I did like, kill the All Star game and give a week long break for each club to scedule a friendly. It is a bit silly that we have everything meaningless (from a supporter standpoint) slammed into the same couple weeks of the season.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this had been during the world cup break, fine. To put it in the middle of our busiest run of the season is madness. Even Defoe came out against it

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this is charged training LOL.

My priority will always be on games that have tangable results, I just don't think its the end of the world that they play against some other oppostion to measure different players (or fringe ones).

Now Duane Rollins had an interesting idea that I did like, kill the All Star game and give a week long break for each club to scedule a friendly. It is a bit silly that we have everything meaningless (from a supporter standpoint) slammed into the same couple weeks of the season.
    This is absolutely a way of looking at these friendlies. I don't dispute that. It's just a bigger deal for some than others and I think we can all say our peace's on it but refrain from insulting the difference in opinion.

Have fun all that go. I know of one girl personally who has had to wait for this all season. These dates are made for her and people like her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the injury argument but what if Henry tears his ACL playing Jamaica. The international friendly doesn't get piled on but is just as meaningless in that there is nothing on the line. Henry or Morgan or Oso could all blow out a knee in September playing in a friendly but only one game is being dumped on. Legit question what is the difference in people's minds. I'm going to both, would hate to see an injury in either but just think friendliest and injuries are part of the game, if MLS had a schedule that was in rhythm with everyone else the friendly scheduling wouldn't be an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is absolutely a way of looking at these friendlies. I don't dispute that. It's just a bigger deal for some than others and I think we can all say our peace's on it but refrain from insulting the difference in opinion.

Have fun all that go. I know of one girl personally who has had to wait for this all season. These dates are made for her and people like her.
    Agreed. I don't like them but it is what it is. Ill watch them on TV but I won't go. This game isn't for me. Ill let people go that want to go.

Have fun ill take the extra day to do more work on banners and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I understand the injury argument but what if Henry tears his ACL playing Jamaica. The international friendly doesn't get piled on but is just as meaningless in that there is nothing on the line. Henry or Morgan or Oso could all blow out a knee in September playing in a friendly but only one game is being dumped on. Legit question what is the difference in people's minds. I'm going to both, would hate to see an injury in either but just think friendliest and injuries are part of the game, if MLS had a schedule that was in rhythm with everyone else the friendly scheduling wouldn't be an issue.
    International friendlies are not meaningless, they are used to experiment with tactics and evaluate players for games in the future that really matter. Aside from tournaments, international friendlies are the only other times a national team really plays together, these are important for building cohesion and consistency.

You cant say the same for club friendlies in mid-season as the players you play(mostly academy) wont really factor into your starting 11, whatever evaluation done at this game could be completed in a regular scrimmage.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-22-2014 at 08:45 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Priorities again. Country over Club. Even friendlies.

And Gringo this happens EVERY TFC friendly, rest assured. See ensco above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread concerns a friendly. I'm sure there's a playoffs vs Supporters Shield thread to be started if there isn't one. It would be gangbusters.
    What section would that go in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point I know what you mean re the internationals I said meaningless more in terms of points not being on the line. I guess I'm just of the opinion that the mls friendliest aren't just an empty cash grab. I'm hoping a guy like Morgan get some quality time on the pitch, he needs minutes. Also think it's good for the younger guys to get a chance to measure themselves against opponents from a top league. Game minutes in front of a crowd are always better than scrimmage. Won't disagree with the Country over Club sentiment but injuries will occur regardless of which kit is being worn. At least this time it's at Bmo on grass without the retards that do security at the dome...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    International friendlies are not meaningless, they are used to experiment with tactics and evaluate players for games in the future that really matter. Aside from tournaments, international friendlies are the only other times a national team really plays together, these are important for building cohesion and consistency.

You cant say the same for club friendlies in mid-season as the players you play(mostly academy) wont really factor into your starting 11, whatever evaluation done at this game could be completed in a regular scrimmage.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 07-22-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm with you. I'm so sick of the "Fans who don't mind friendlies are not true fans" or "players will be injured in friendlies" nonense. It's a local friendly, TFC isn't travelling, and it's MLSE! OF COURSE THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY. That's their mandate.

Players can get injured anytime. Players have been injured in practice, and even walking down the street! Nigel Rio Coker, anyone?

I'm going because I am an Arsenal supporter, and I'm going to chirp those scummy bastards and have a great time of it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until we make the playoffs or win a championship Liverpool v TFC at Skydome was the greatest memory TFC has delivered to me.

so, there are some people that get a LOT of value from these games.

that siad, the timing could not be worse for us this time with the 2 best Eastern teams next up.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Until we make the playoffs or win a championship Liverpool v TFC at Skydome was the greatest memory TFC has delivered to me.

so, there are some people that get a LOT of value from these games.

that siad, the timing could not be worse for us this time with the 2 best Eastern teams next up.

There is no excuse. SKC is playing MCFC on the 23rd as well. DC is playing Fulham on the 26th and then us on the 30th.

Nearly every team plays a friendly around this time of year. This is what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jezzz people...the guys are going to get a 45 min run which they would do in the middle of the week anyway,i look forward to it,but the true supporters will not be their,too bad the game is on nat tv and on tv in England....supporters support the club.when ever they play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    jezzz people...the guys are going to get a 45 min run which they would do in the middle of the week anyway,i look forward to it,but the true supporters will not be their,too bad the game is on nat tv and on tv in England....supporters support the club.when ever they play.
    I consider myself a "true supporter" whatever that is and I will be there. Based on the ticket sales I'm sure I won't be the only one.

I will enjoy watching a game without worrying too much about the result. I'm also interested to see some of our prospects play.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True TFC supporter here all the way and will be the game for a great night out. Have only missed one friendly in team history, against LFC due to work.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I unfortunatley won't be at the game, but hope all those who go enjoy the evening. And for those that still have the bad taste due to Ronnie O'Brien getting injured on a plastic pitch. Enjoy your evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point! Stefan Frei would be our starting keeper if things like that didn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    What section would that go in?
    Junk