Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC won its' points playing cleverly on a counter.
    TFC lost its' points playing on a counter too. That is the way we have been playing for all the Nelsen tenure.
    Even the fact that the players look happy somehow fails to please me.
    You can say some people never happy.
    Last edited by starter; 04-20-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen is more important for hos connections and ability to bring certain types of players in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expected TFC to be 3-4-3 by the World Cup break. They're just about where I expect with a doing better than I thought at this point. I'm tired of the coaching merry-go-round. I say keep Nelsen through to the end of the season, wait and see what pieces Bez collects in the summer transfer window, then reassess in October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Originally Posted by starter
    Is there something TFC can learn from this?

I think there is more we can learn from it, like
    GET A GOOD MANAGER.
    tfc have had their tactics right in 5 of the 6 games they have played...it is quite evident except for the Real Salt Lake match, they have been prepared for each match

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would actually vote to keep Nelsen.

This is the MLS. It's not exactly a coveted coaching job. Most guys you are going to get applying are learn on the job types.

Yes there may be other options with experience but that's what Fran is supposedly for. Nelsen impresses me with his leadership and taking accountability for things.

I don't always agree with what he says but respect that he stands behind it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It must be obvious. There is no right man for this job. Holy fuck... how many now?

Its a job that nobody has done succesfully before and a job that has no historical precedent to suggest it can be done succesfully, within the structure it exists.

If he learns from his mistakes. adapts and overcomes the MLS obstacles, guides the team to the playoffs, and wins the adoration of the fans along the way then he could just be the right man for the job, yes.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    Absolutely right. All Toronto fans want to do is moan

I don't think this is just a Toronto thing. There is a certain % of all teams support who don't like the current manager.

I'm sure right now there is a Brendan Rogers hater just waiting to pounce.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I don't know if you noticed but we're in a playoff spot.
    Seriously? C'mon Mole. You can't say "It's six fucking games into the season..." and immediately talk about being playoff contention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    To the thread poster, you'd have to say "seems to me Nelsen has learned nothing from the one season he was a manager of a broken team after coming over right from playing" as opposed to "past seasons". This is a work in progress, for him and for the roster. If we suddenly go and lose 8 in a row, then ask questions, but we are in the early days if the TFC revamp and I like the direction, provided the coach and the roster continue to develop.
    I'm gonna be honest, my faith in Nelsen's abilities are a little shaky. I definitely think we need more time to gauge what he can do with the current roster, but I'll admit it, he has me wondering just what his plan is during some games (the Colorado game especially). And I agree with a few of jloom's sentiments - should there be more discipline? That could very well be the case for a few players.

I agree that it's still very early in the season and the next few games could be polar opposites of what we've seen recently, but there are some nagging thoughts in the back of my mind.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-20-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgive me for having not read the thread, before replying.

In the heat of things, last night, I, too, suggested Nelson wasn't the man for the job. The truth is, as I'm sure others, here, have already pointed out, it's too early to say; four tough road games, in places we have historically done terribly, for the most part, and two early-season home games, on a horrible playing surface, is never going to tell the whole tale. Throw in some shocking decisions going against us and injuries to ca. 70% of our starting roster, and, with 9 points, I'd say we've done well enough.

What I will say is, when Nelson waits until the eighty-eighth min. to bring someone on, despite us being down a goal (read: still well in the game), it makes me question his tactical acumen. A coach will typically bring on a late-game sub. when his side are up a goal or level, as they look to waste time and hold on for a positive result. What is achieved, when you bring someone on at a time when every second is vital, in your efforts to claw your way level, with only a couple minutes to spare?! The player might get two touches of the ball, if that, meaning he doesn't really get a feel for the game.. meanwhile, that substitution just ate up some thirty-odd seconds, of maybe three minutes remaining. If you don't have enough quality on the bench, then leave the starters out there.. but, I will never understand why Nelson wouldn't sooner make his mind up on whether or not to send someone in (i.e. with, at least, ten to fifteen minutes -- preferably sooner, in many cases).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical Toronto sports fan thread.

Nelsen is not a world class coach by any means, but his tactical ability so far is no worse than the average MLS coach. The result are actually above-average, TFC is in a playoff spot, and that's with the starting lineup having happened for exactly 1 game.

This is not 0-9. Let's wait until the end of the season to evaluate Nelsen.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If change needs to addressed, perhaps the conditioning coach and medical staff should be looked at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I would actually vote to keep Nelsen.

This is the MLS. It's not exactly a coveted coaching job. Most guys you are going to get applying are learn on the job types.

Yes there may be other options with experience but that's what Fran is supposedly for. Nelsen impresses me with his leadership and taking accountability for things.

I don't always agree with what he says but respect that he stands behind it.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, I have been scratching my head as to his quilifications since day one, but I do realize that for this team to do anything it needs stability. So sick of the blade hanging over everyones neck.

If he looses the room, then probably something needs to be done. Given the current record and the talent he attracts I think he is fine. I would like to see more tactics and better sub use, but that bench is pretty thin right now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Meh, I have been scratching my head as to his quilifications since day one, but I do realize that for this team to do anything it needs stability. So sick of the blade hanging over everyones neck.

If he looses the room, then probably something needs to be done. Given the current record and the talent he attracts I think he is fine. I would like to see more tactics and better sub use, but that bench is pretty thin right now.
    Should have subbed Bendik to play up top ala Man City and David James!

Now if that happened I could understand people asking questions of Nelly.

We're 3-3. Games at home were scrappy on a bad pitch, and we won two of our three on the road. Now if we had our usual results we'd be 2-4 not 3-3. We're in a far better position after 6 games then any of us thought.

Give it time for injuries to sort themselves out and players to get into confidence playing with each other this includes the Halls, Bekkers, ect I the bench.

Nelly is playing a high quick pressing counter attacking style of 4-4-2 and it's paid off and hurt us. That's the give and take of the formation. The positive part is even games we've lost we havnt been blown out and havnt been completely played of the pitch for a full 90 minutes.

It's a long season boys.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ honest question though. When do injuries in sport ever sort themselves out?

I posted this brief look at Defoe's history in the news column. Here's his last year and a bit:

January 2013 - hip/ thigh injury
    February 2013 - ankle injury
    March 2013 - hip/thigh injury
    September 2013 - groin injury
    December 2013 - hamstring injury
    February 2014 - hamstring injury
    (And now March 2014 - hamstring injury)

… one might suggest that with Defoe, what you see is likely what we can expect. Nelsen needs to figure out how to deal with the likelihood of missing Defoe for significant games throughout the next 4 years.

Now, I could be wrong and this March 2014 injury will be his last for years but I think it's a safe bet that this will be a recurring factor until 2017-18.

Best to get it sorted as it probably isn't likely to sort itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen had us in a position to steal three points, or at least steal points, from the top team in the league in their stadium. And people are complaining?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three weeks ago Nelsen is praised for his tactical superiority in our victory over Columbus away.

Now he is bush league because we lost in a place where we historically always lose, with a sub par line up and against a strong team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ how was the line up against Dallas sub par? (Defoe aside)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, this manic way of supporting TFC where they are complete shit, manager must go, everyone sucks, etc one week and we're the best team in the league the next week is really destructive. We really need to stop this week to week judging. It's the overall direction of results that is important. It's a marathon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ how was the line up against Dallas sub par? (Defoe aside)
    No Henry, Rey, Defoe, 100% Bradley or Osorio. As well as the bench missing 50% of regular subs off the bench. We had to have two keepers on the subs bench just to fill the bench.

Which was a brilliant move with the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    tfc have had their tactics right in 5 of the 6 games they have played...it is quite evident except for the Real Salt Lake match, they have been prepared for each match
    Your idea of 'getting tactics right' is scoring a lucky goal off a mistake or counter, and bunkering for 70 minutes hoping that the other team doesn't score? Giving up a record breaking number of corners because of a complete ineptitude in controlling the ball? Or waiting until the 90th minute to sub in a striker when we are down 1-0?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    Your idea of 'getting tactics right' is scoring a lucky goal off a mistake or counter, and bunkering for 70 minutes hoping that the other team doesn't score? Giving up a record breaking number of corners because of a complete ineptitude in controlling the ball? Or waiting until the 90th minute to sub in a striker when we are down 1-0?
    You describe really well the way Everton beat Man United yesterday.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Seriously, this manic way of supporting TFC where they are complete shit, manager must go, everyone sucks, etc one week and we're the best team in the league the next week is really destructive. We really need to stop this week to week judging. It's the overall direction of results that is important. It's a marathon.
    Love the endpoint and agree many times over with it but let's look at the "we" in that point. Opinions here are always a makeup of people with different levels of breaking points and/or patience. Judging the collective as a whole is tantamount to "herding cats" level of chaos.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Love the endpoint and agree many times over with it but let's look at the "we" in that point. Opinions here are always a makeup of people with different levels of breaking points and/or patience. Judging the collective as a whole is tantamount to "herding cats" level of chaos.
    Ok, I'll start singling people out then. That seems to work well too.

I hear what you're saying. I don't know how else to make the point except to put it on everyone.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    No Henry, Rey, Defoe, 100% Bradley or Osorio. As well as the bench missing 50% of regular subs off the bench. We had to have two keepers on the subs bench just to fill the bench.

Which was a brilliant move with the circumstances.
    Henry = Orr
    Rey = Issey or Jackson
    Morgan hasn't played
    DeRo is in the Defoe get used to it category but even then isn't a 90 min guy

Bradley or Osorio may or may not be 100%. Fit enough to play.

Defoe? Yes but get used to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike in case with Mr. Mariner, I did want Nelsen to succeed, but his development as a coach appears too slow for me.

I want to enjoy beautiful game here and now. As professionals, I believe our current squad has more in them than Nelsen can realize

I think this thread is very useful to exchange opinions on the manager here, rather then in game threads.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A lot of focus is on Nelsen.

What about O'Leary? Or the other assistants like Brennan? O'Leary was brought in to work with Nelsen and was a winner at the College level.

Or if the boat has leaks in it, does it really matter who the captain of the ship is? Said another way, could we expect different results with other coaches or do we simply need time to repair the boat (drafting well in 2015 being the start of that repair process)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starter's posts on this subject are starting to give me an aneurysm.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They played like shit on Saturday. Barley held the ball in any meaningful way throughout the game (Anyone who says possession doesn't mean anything is mental IMO).

I question Nelsen's ability to coach players forward. He was a defender and has that mentality when he coaches, you can see it in the way TFC are playing. No creativity moving forward. However, I wouldn't say that is 100% his fault.

I've seen some suspect passes/plays by TFC players this year. Some really bad decisions by players all over the pitch leading to turnovers. Someone pointed out earlier that we need to toughen up and I agree. I've also seen guys just ball watch on 50/50 plays. That one aspect alone could change our fortunes moving forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legit thread, but too early.

Look at where we are 10 games in. either he'll silence the moaners and we'll be riding high, or we'll go 3-7 or 4-6 and we can then talk about his managerial chops in a more rational way with more empirical evidence.