Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Nelsen The right man for the job?

Seems to me he has learned nothing from past seasons. Last night was yet another game where the other team appeared more organized, and demonstrated far more creativity on offence. Despite the rotten officiating, TFC did not play well at either end, and giving up 16 corners was pathetic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I very much doubt that he is. I know that this is a new roster and all, but this team plays some excruciatingly ugly soccer. We rely on hoofball more so than Mariner did and our pass completion is shocking, to say the least. If we do accomplish anything this year, it will be because of the individual talent and drive of players like Bradley, not because of Nelsen's coaching abilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a joke thread, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we go from great tactical approach vs the crew to questioning if he should be fired now?

We are 3-3 and 3rd in the table in the east after 6 games (with games in hand on most teams behind us) as well as 4 of the 6 have been tough road games with a patchwork lineup. I'm not sure what people were expecting early in the season? most of the team had not played together before and it was always going to take some time for the guys to get familiar with each other. Lets see how they look over the next group of home games as that should give us a much better picture of what this team will be this season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    lol. panic! TFC world is collapsing! we're doomed and we haven't even played 10 games into the season!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally hate type of soccer we're playing these days. It's too defensive for a team with a lot of firepower up front. We need to be more offensive minded with group we have. Sitting back is for teams who aren't strong with talented players so they rely on counter attack to score. TFC should be team imposing their will not other way around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too early to say. He seems pretty inspiring, players like him and want to come here.

The only knock I would say seems evident by now is the faith he puts in our backups. He was in MLS as a player at a different time, and back then, these kind of guys could have a positive effect in this league. But when you look at the rosters of the top competitors in the league, they've been much more aggressive about ensuring every player is a fighter.

We have all these debates over whether Bekker will make it. I can tell you this: No matter how technically gifted he is, if he doesn't play aggressively game in and out, he will not make it in this league. If he's not doing it by the end of this season, it's a risk to keep him around. The travel and injuries in this league mean every position is important. We can't have ANY players in our first 22 who aren't able to compete to start, if we want to be a winner.

So we have to wait to see what he does about that. It's a much bigger issue to me than tactics; it's one thing to be a well-liked coach but able to maintain efficacy and discipline; it's another to be friends with the players and not see their faults or be willing to replace them.

Next year is the real teller because we have so much room to move, thanks to the (five?) first round draft picks we're now holding. That's five potential starters; that's what we have to get out of it, even if they're fighting for those spots all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    lol. panic! TFC world is collapsing! we're doomed and we haven't even played 10 games into the season!
    Lol. Exactly

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Nelson has to stay for now, we all know the injuries that have taken hold of this team the last few weeks. Last night was unfortunate but with the General playing at not an ideal level and others out, it has proven that this is a different team when the big boys are out. Now with the bye week everyone can rest up, get healthy and be ready for May 3rd. This bye week could not come at a better time. Nellie has played a key role in a lot of things this year, how amazing was Julio last night things could have been much worse.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoGooner View Post
    More like a hobby horse ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first time he goes away from his 4-4-2, which a ton of people have been asking for in the past, and now we question whether he is the right man for the job.

I thought he had the tactics right last night. I have never liked how we have defended corners in a static position, but I think our defensive ability on set pieces and just defence alone has vastly improved.

Nelsen had a broken line up last night and put out the best he could and set them up the best way they could succeed and if it weren't for some brutal refereeing, we'd be talking about 3 points or at least a point rather than this

what a pointless, stupid thread
    Last edited by prizby; 04-20-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    first time he goes away from his 4-4-2, which a ton of people have been asking for in the past, and now we question whether he is the right man for the job.

I thought he had the tactics right last night. I have never liked how we have defended corners in a static position, but I think our defensive ability on set pieces and just defence alone has vastly improved.

Nelsen had a broken line up last night and put out the best he could and set them up the best way they could succeed and if it weren't for some brutal refereeing, we'd be talking about 3 points or at least a point rather than this

Well said, he has made us competitive in every game todate, concerning talent I don't think most poster realize how hard it was to sell TFC to class players at the end of last season let alone depth players...still more work to be done however you cannot build a club in a matter of months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we need this thread?
    Are we thinking the same thing?
    Do you like what you see from this team, or you starting to switch channels?
    Nelsen on the second year. He has not done anything yet to deserve a free ride.
    Players like him? Apparently players liked most of our old managers, with a couple of exceptions, 'pricks', that actually tried to teach them something.
    IMO very useful thread. Keep it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Do we need this thread?
    Are we thinking the same thing?
    Do you like what you see from this team, or you starting to switch channels?
    Nelsen on the second year. He has not done anything yet to deserve a free ride.
    Players like him? Apparently players liked most of our old managers, with a couple of exceptions, 'pricks', that actually tried to teach them something.
    IMO very useful thread. Keep it up!
    Exactly... some pretty condescending remarks in this thread. Having just spent a fortune on revamping our roster, it's completely beyond me that people are content with these performances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ It's completely beyond me that people are disregarding the circumstances in which this team and Nelsen have had to cope. It's six fucking games into the season with an almost entirely new starting 11 with tons of injuries. It's not a free ride if it's six games into the season, OF WHICH WE'VE WON HALF OF OUR GAMES.

There is definetly still work to be done, on the personnel side and the tactics side. But Nelsen is trying to just get as many point out of a difficult stretch as possible and he's done that admirably. Like I said on the Dallas thread, Let's at least wait until at least halfway through this home stand to judge Nelsen on his tactics and so forth.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 04-24-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adam1001 View Post
    Exactly... some pretty condescending remarks in this thread. Having just spent a fortune on revamping our roster, it's completely beyond me that people are content with these performances.
    when man city bought a whole new team of players (ie. spent a fortune on revamping their roster) were they immediately contending for the premier league title?

They finished 10th the first season; and it took them 3 years just to get champions league football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when man city bought a whole new team of players (ie. spent a fortune on revamping their roster) were they immediately contending for the premier league title?

They finished 10th the first season; and it took them 3 years just to get champions league football
    Did they pick up a player-coach with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they pick up a player-coach with them?
    what would you call Mark Hughes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would you call Mark Hughes
    Is there something TFC can learn from this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I move to table this question until the end of the season. All in favour?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

patience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last season we dumped several games in the last 10 min of the game.........now we have a different team except for Nielsen and Hall and we've twice lost points in the last 10 yet again........just sayin....i don't see Nielsen here next season if this continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by starter
    patience
    I think there is more we can learn from it, like
    GET A GOOD MANAGER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by starter

I think there is more we can learn from it, like
    GET A GOOD MANAGER.
    I don't know if you noticed but we're in a playoff spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen is a young coach with a lot of connections over seas to multiple (english) clubs and some argue because of this he should stay off the bench and be some sort of General Manager. Well, Nelsen is exactly what I just said a young coach, he's *obviously* in control of the locker room and the lads really want to play and win for him, but he's still learning and as far as I know hasn't taken any courses in his busy off seasons.

He's going to learn as he goes, and our league is exactly the place where people learn we're not the top flight of british football. With his squad healthy he would have taken points from games where we've dropped points.. such as Dallas.

His hoofball tactics seem to be more of a compensation for the poor home pitch, and other factors than a direct poor knowledge of football.

Nelsen has my support, until the summer when I can re-access as an individual what he's accomplished.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if the same people who were arguing to keep Winter when we were 0-9 are now arguing to can Nelson when we are 3-3?! haha!

I honestly do wonder if some fans won't be happy until we win every single game of the season by ten goals to nil. Then we have a good team, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely right. All Toronto fans want to do is moan

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To the thread poster, you'd have to say "seems to me Nelsen has learned nothing from the one season he was a manager of a broken team after coming over right from playing" as opposed to "past seasons". This is a work in progress, for him and for the roster. If we suddenly go and lose 8 in a row, then ask questions, but we are in the early days if the TFC revamp and I like the direction, provided the coach and the roster continue to develop.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just sayin' but this is SO Toronto sports 'fans'....

we're near the top of the table

a whackful of injuries

a horde of new players who have never played together before

6 games into the season

and we are questioning whether we need to dump the coach.....

unbelievable.....maybe Pep or Jose are available....