View Poll Results: Which MLS expanse franchise has the best shot at success?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • New York City

58 52.25%
  • Orlando

33 29.73%
  • Miami

17 15.32%
  • Atlanta

3 2.70%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nice stadium, and glad its open air, of a sort. But, turf is still turf. And if they don't get 20K, its going to sound empty.
    They will have over 20k season tickets sold by 2017 and their goal is 25k. Not a big fan of the turf but Atlanta will do really well because of their owner.

NYCFC has over 11k STH and Orlando just reported they passed 10.000.
    The best thing MLS has done in the past decade is pick expansion cities. Chivas was bad but RSL, us, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Philly, Montreal, NYCFC, Orlando, Atlanta and lastly LAFC are all great - it's really quite remarkable.

Miami won't get a stadium deal done in the near future so Minnesota and Sac Republic will be in the league before them I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I follow a few beat reporters and general media personalities from ATL and there does seem to be a reasonably stupid amount of hype around this team already, as surprising as that is. They've sold a ton of season tickets already for a team that won't start until 2017.
    That's great and I hope they have a soild launch. However with that said historically Atlanta is one of the worst pro sports towns in terms of attendance in the US.

If the team struggles after the sparkle of newness is gone, in that building it will be like the Revolution v2. And that's not good for anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    They will have over 20k season tickets sold by 2017 and their goal is 25k. Not a big fan of the turf but Atlanta will do really well because of their owner.

NYCFC has over 11k STH and Orlando just reported they passed 10.000.
    The best thing MLS has done in the past decade is pick expansion cities. Chivas was bad but RSL, us, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Philly, Montreal, NYCFC, Orlando, Atlanta and lastly LAFC are all great - it's really quite remarkable.

Miami won't get a stadium deal done in the near future so Minnesota and Sac Republic will be in the league before them I believe.
    10k and 11k that's it. Season starts in less than 2 months.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Atlanta Stadium video is quite the monkey spank.

Loads of trim, well-dressed single women - none of them look over 28! - just loitering around the joint, texting, ordering drinks or just waiting for YOU! to show up and take them away to another fantasy.

I'm not convinced the Atlanta Renovators (owned by Home Depot's Arthur Blank) will do any better than any other Atlanta sports team not named Falcons or Braves. The Braves were so taken by life in downtown Atlanta that they are moving out to a distant new stadium in a posh suburb largely inhabited by white Caucasians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    10k and 11k that's it. Season starts in less than 2 months.
    You're kidding right.

That makes them the 4th and 5th highest in MLS history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    The new Atlanta stadium is insane.

in the video, they show the MLS club playing in the new stadium.

http://gizmodo.com/a-closer-look-at-...0/+kevindraper

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKP7FaiqEE

MLS shows up around 2:44

WOW!!!!! So nice

I think Orlando will be most successful. Less competition in their city and more spanish people. I see them both doing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're kidding right.

That makes them the 4th and 5th highest in MLS history.
    I thought Orlando especially was this super city for soccer and MLS 10k doesn't seem too impressive. 4th and 5th highest in MLS history, that can't be right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Orlando especially was this super city for soccer and MLS 10k doesn't seem too impressive. 4th and 5th highest in MLS history, that can't be right.
    Only expansion teams to have more are Seattle Portland and TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philadelphia and Vancouver I believe had more than that as well. I know Vancouver had at least 15k season seats when they entered.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only that many in New York though.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philadelphia and Vancouver I believe had more than that as well. I know Vancouver had at least 15k season seats when they entered.
    Not even close. Vancouver had 8200 and Philly 6600. My company had season tickets for both Philly and Vancouver at the time. Credit to the Whitecaps because they have risen to 13k (2014 #) but it took 5 years to do it.
    Last edited by Gazza_55; 01-24-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    The new Atlanta stadium is insane.

in the video, they show the MLS club playing in the new stadium.

http://gizmodo.com/a-closer-look-at-...0/+kevindraper

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKP7FaiqEE

MLS shows up around 2:44

I don't really like it actually. Stadiums are becoming to flashy and to many distractions that are not the game. I like more basic stadiums where you go to watch the GAME! Don't need so much massive score boards and shops and box offices and open space. I prefer BMO field, its being renovated but the main basic structure is still there, not flashy, my kind of stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only that many in New York though.....
    its bad for New York I agree. And they are playing at Yankee stadium. It might look really bad. And due to the awkward shape of baseball stadiums used for Soccer its not like Vancouver or the new Atlanta stadium where unused seats are easier to hide, Yankee stadium with 20k fans might not look good on TV with 30k empty seats.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    its bad for New York I agree. And they are playing at Yankee stadium. It might look really bad. And due to the awkward shape of baseball stadiums used for Soccer its not like Vancouver or the new Atlanta stadium where unused seats are easier to hide, Yankee stadium with 20k fans might not look good on TV with 30k empty seats.
    Especially as they

a) put supporters in the second tier behind the goal, not the bottom tier

b) put away supporters Far away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not even close. Vancouver had 8200 and Philly 6600. My company had season tickets for both Philly and Vancouver at the time. Credit to the Whitecaps because they have risen to 13k (2014 #) but it took 5 years to do it.
    Don't want to get in a pissing contest with you but I did some research. They (VWCFC) had 15,500 season seats in their inaugural season (2011) it dipped to 13k in 2012, 2013. I don't know what they had last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Especially as they

a) put supporters in the second tier behind the goal, not the bottom tier

b) put away supporters Far away

well it is common that away fans are put far away from home supporter ends, almost always located at opposite ends, and sometimes away fans are put in the highest seating area in the stadium Barcelona, Inter/AC Milan and Boca Juniors stadiums to name a few stadiums where away fans are opposite ends but also often way up in the sky, its like being in the rafters of the 500's at sky Dome, or actually even worse at Barcelona that stadium is massive and away fans way up there out of sight.

But the stadium looking at that map looks awful for sight lines for Soccer. At least NFL stadiums are in a rectangle field often the stadium is built somewhat the same shape as a soccer stadium, Baseball tho, its just awkward close to more like a triangle. I hope NYC don't play there for long. I actually wish they just played at Red Bull arena until they got a stadium built.