View Poll Results: Which MLS expanse franchise has the best shot at success?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • New York City

58 52.25%
  • Orlando

33 29.73%
  • Miami

17 15.32%
  • Atlanta

3 2.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta already have over 1000 deposits for season tickets. Not bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    1) A sponsored team name is really not that different from a sponsored stadium or jersey. We are well past the tipping point in that regard. Red Bull's investment is responsible for that gorgeous stadium and Thierry Henry in MLS. As long as it's a net positive I'm sure even the most die hard MetroStars fans are okay with it.
    See, I have to seriously disagree with you there. The team name is the identity of the club. That, along with the fans, are supposed to be the things that never change. but the fact that people think they can change the identity of a club that they have zero connection to as a way to sell a product that has nothing to do with the team is fairly heinous in my opinion. The fact of the matter is that it should not at all be okay for a team and it's fans to bend over backwards for an owner just because he has money, because at the end of the day, they don't care one bit about the fans. They care about making a profit. And when they come to the realization that owning the team isn't financially viable they'll dump them and go buy some other team and rename them again. it's not like they haven't, in fact they've done it multiple times in Europe. Then what happens? do they go back to being the MetroStars? do they continue to be free advertising for Red Bull? does somebody else buy them and insert their own product into the team name? This is very different from a sponsored stadium or jersey.

Hull City (full name being Hull City Association Football Club) fans, for instance, are doing the absolute proper thing in this regard. Their owner has recently bought them and brought them up to the Prem and now maybe on to Europe via the FA cup. but he want's to cut all that hullabaloo after "Hull" and just call them "Hull Tigers." He has told the fans he could not care less about them, dislikes the name of the team citing the fact that "City" is "too common" and "a lousy identity". he told a guardian journalist that if he owned Manchester City he would have renamed them "Manchester Hunter". He says the reason for the name change is to create more revenue by marketing it with a shorter, more understandable name to foreign markets. and, in response to "City 'Till I Die" chants from supporters vehemently opposed to the name change because of the connotations it carries, he said "They can die as soon as they want, as long as they leave the club for the majority who just want to watch good football." This is the type of people you let into football with the attitude that your club's identity is entirely for sale, given that you invest in players to keep all the casuals happy.

Red Dragon Franchise FC ( or Cardiff City, as some of you may know them) are another, similiar story. but I'm sure you can find the gory details for that one on your own. I know many people who are utterly distraught over that situation and now feel they have had their club ripped away from them because a rich man with no ties to the area decided he wanted to wag his cock all over the Malaysian peninsula.

I understand that this is a young league and under most circumstances we are really just looking for all the help we can get. but by tolerating some of it, we're tolerating all of it in the future. I for one know how absolutely devastating it would be for me and many others here if Somebody from half-way around the world decided to buy us, change our name, maybe the colors too, not because he had any fondness for the club but because he thought it would increase his bank roll and make him look good to all of his other billionaire buddies back home. We can't just accept what's given to us because we're young. It set's a precedent.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 04-17-2014 at 12:17 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hull City (full name being Hull City Association Football Club) fans, for instance, are doing the absolute proper thing in this regard. Their owner has recently bought them and brought them up to the Prem and now maybe on to Europe via the FA cup. but he want's to cut all that hullabaloo after "Hull" and just call them "Hull Tigers." He has told the fans he could not care less about them, dislikes the name of the team citing the fact that "City" is "too common" and "a lousy identity". he told a guardian journalist that if he owned Manchester City he would have renamed them "Manchester Hunter".
    ^ Never before have I felt such an urge to cock-punch a total stranger.

On a similar note, I have the same opinion on the marketing geniuses who came up with "FC" Dallas or "Sporting" KC. Kansas City is actually the worst offender because they tried so hard to push some big lie that there was going to be a multi-sports club with possibly basketball, hockey, or other teams in the mix. I didn't buy it for a second, but I'm kinda surprised that many did. Heck, I remember when the Rapids were seriously contemplating calling themselves Colorado Arsenal with an equally weak explanation.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-17-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^ Never before have I felt such an urge to cock-punch a total stranger.

On a similar note, I have the same opinion on the marketing geniuses who came up with "FC" Dallas or "Sporting" KC. Kansas City is actually the worst offender because they tried so hard to push some big lie that there was going to be a multi-sports club with possibly basketball, hockey, or other teams in the mix. I didn't buy it for a second, but I'm kinda surprised that many did.
    Have SKC not followed up on that plan? I thought I'd heard that there was some progress on that end but what do I know. to their credit, they do now probably have the most extensive academy and community outreach programs in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ What plan? I don't believe they were ever seriously considering creating a multi-sport organization.

And don't get me wrong, I actually have a bit of respect for the team and quite like it's fans. I like how KC is a bit of a lonely island for soccer in the region and yet they have a great stadium, good supporters, and a team that actually plays with heart.

But the name is bullshit.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-17-2014 at 02:04 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ What plan? I don't believe they were ever seriously considering creating a multi-sport organization.

And don't get me wrong, I actually have a bit of respect for the team and quite like it's fans. I like how KC is a bit of a lonely island for soccer in the region and yet they have a great stadium, good supporters, and a team that actually plays with heart.

But the name is bullshit.
    the name is just as BS as Toronto FC, which is about most Euro poser name as it gets in North America.

just as Real Salt Lake became a name of pride for those supporters, and any other 'stupid' names that are prevalent in MLS, who cares what the team is named, as long as the people that support that team take pride in the name and the colours?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    the name is just as BS as Toronto FC, which is about most Euro poser name as it gets in North America.

just as Real Salt Lake became a name of pride for those supporters, and any other 'stupid' names that are prevalent in MLS, who cares what the team is named, as long as the people that support that team take pride in the name and the colours?
    How can it possibly be? The name of our city is Toronto and the club's identity highlights that. We're not Toronto Arsenal. We're not Sporting Toronto. We're not Real Toronto. There's absolutely no connection between us and any other specific club. TFC can stand by it's own identity because of that.

You can argue about the originality of our name, but that's something else entirely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

If you don't brand the team with a nickname like all leagues but MLS, then FC is about as bland and as unposer as you can get.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real means 'commissioned by the King'

RSL wins for most poserish name.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the FC is Football Club in Toronto's case.. it wasn't originally of course (and still isn't).. but it's plastered all over the place now.

And Football Club, Soccer Club in the Canadian tradition is perfectly fine.

Montreal has a big HC on it's jersey that stands for Club de Hockey. (no not habs)

The Leafs official name is the the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club.

So it's not that big a deal. TFC's original marketing stupidity was it to be FC so not to alienate anyone.. pft. It may not be official but Football Club has actually kinda become the identity in much the same way as some dumb ignorant yank said the H in Montreals HC was Habitant

The names I don't care about.

We often times get overly outraged at things in a manner the suggests that people are too stupid to figure things out.
    The Japanese have baseball teams with company names in the team names.
    Asian music is often manufactured.

I have never even associated the Red Bulls with the Energy drink. I think most people if given a little common sense can figure it out.

This anti-overt corporate sponsorship stuff needs to be tossed a side a little.

As far as stupid MLS team names. Sporting KC, and Real Salt Lake are the number one and two offenders to me, but as has pointed out, as long as the fans embrace it who cares.
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-17-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well team and names matter to many people. But if the change happens and the fans are all for it then I don't see any harm. But you can see in Salzburg it pissed some fans off, fans who grew up and followed a team there whole life and then had that ripped away from them. Well all you got to do is see the history of FC Red Bull Salzburg and SV Austria Salzburg. Red Bull Salzburg had there 80th birthday this year, however Red Bull Salzburg did not celebrate it because as far as Red Bull Salzburg is concerned the team history has nothing to do with the team today and are not 80 years old. Where as the newly formed SV Austria Salzburg celebrated there passed history and celebrated 80 years!

Last edited by james; 04-17-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also hate the owner of Cardiff City. The teams nickname for over 100 years is the Blue Birds, and some owner buys them and turns them red because in Asia red is good luck. Well the problem is you purchased a team in Cardiff, it has different history and beliefs, why do you go to change what the people of Cardiff like?

And then Hull City fans, maybe the name change is a bit suttle due to the fact that Hull crest does have a Tiger on it and it does say "Hull City A.F.C, The Tigers", but why go against the history of a team that the fans obviously are proud of being Hull City not Hull Tigers? He wanted to call it Hull Tigers because he believed in Asia it would sell more shirts if they were just called the Hull Tigers. It seems to me like it wouldn't sell more shirts, and Hull City fans probably just feel it's a slipperly slope down from there to losing more of the Club you love and support.

it reads a "Hull City a club not a brand"
    Last edited by james; 04-18-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    If NYFC had a stadium in place close to the Island then they'd be find.. but remember Redbull Arena isn't that far from anywhere. From the Prospect park area of Brooklyn it's the same distance as Yankee stadium. It's actually closer and easier to get to from Downtown.

The biggest issue with the Red Bulls is the "stigma" of Jersey.
    Closer from Downtown, yes, but not necessarily easier. Using public transportation you'll have to take the subway and switch to the PATH. You can take the subway from anywhere in NYC right to Yankee Stadium.

The stadiums may be the same distance from Prospect Park, but it takes longer to get to RBA on public transportation (by about 15 minutes) with more changes. I've never driven to Yankee Stadium, but last summer I drove from Gowanus (just west of Prospect Park) to the NJ side of the Holland Tunnel, the 7 mile trip took 4 hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaahuuu View Post
    Closer from Downtown, yes, but not necessarily easier. Using public transportation you'll have to take the subway and switch to the PATH. You can take the subway from anywhere in NYC right to Yankee Stadium.

The stadiums may be the same distance from Prospect Park, but it takes longer to get to RBA on public transportation (by about 15 minutes) with more changes. I've never driven to Yankee Stadium, but last summer I drove from Gowanus (just west of Prospect Park) to the NJ side of the Holland Tunnel, the 7 mile trip took 4 hours.
    You should have driven faster.

That is clearly a worse case, and you can take other routes (like the Narrows bridge)

The point was that the Red Bull Arena isn't that far.

I go to BMO or Skydome from Brampton by Go Transit people take it all the time, and it's not quick.

I'll use Brampton as I know it. There are 4 routes to get from Downtown Brampton (Queen and Main) to BMO.

Drive (about 30-40 minutes or 40-60 depending on several factors) - Cost Gas and Parking ($10-15? I don't drive)

Go Transit to Union Street Car to BMO (or walk) $20.68 ($14.68 walk) (60 minutes)

Bus to Square One, then to Islington Subway then to BMO $11.60 (almost 2 hours)

Bus to Port Credit - Go Train to Union $12.40 (in theory($14.45 max)) (about 80-90 minutes)

People will do it if the team has the support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, asking people from NYC to go to the other side of the state line is like asking them to go to the other side of the planet.

I understand traveling to support a team. The cost of gas/tolls/parking from my house in Tonawanda to BMO is more expensive than my ticket to the game, if I help with the tailgate, and get a few player autographs after the game it's easily 12 hours from when I leave my house to when I return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should have driven faster.

That is clearly a worse case, and you can take other routes (like the Narrows bridge)

The point was that the Red Bull Arena isn't that far.

I go to BMO or Skydome from Brampton by Go Transit people take it all the time, and it's not quick.

I'll use Brampton as I know it. There are 4 routes to get from Downtown Brampton (Queen and Main) to BMO.

Drive (about 30-40 minutes or 40-60 depending on several factors) - Cost Gas and Parking ($10-15? I don't drive)

Go Transit to Union Street Car to BMO (or walk) $20.68 ($14.68 walk) (60 minutes)

Bus to Square One, then to Islington Subway then to BMO $11.60 (almost 2 hours)

Bus to Port Credit - Go Train to Union $12.40 (in theory($14.45 max)) (about 80-90 minutes)

As a fellow Bramptonian, I'll chime in that those times above are close to best case scenarios. Given that most games are on weekends, the service on public transit is diminished and the waits between bus/trains are quite significant. You may be able to time it to be at BMO in 60 minutes using the GO Bus/Union method - but I have found that coming home the same way is upwards of 2 hours after the game ends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    As a fellow Bramptonian, I'll chime in that those times above are close to best case scenarios. Given that most games are on weekends, the service on public transit is diminished and the waits between bus/trains are quite significant. You may be able to time it to be at BMO in 60 minutes using the GO Bus/Union method - but I have found that coming home the same way is upwards of 2 hours after the game ends.
    Well ya the travel time and total time can be a little different.

For Colorado The biggest issue is actually getting to the train, I can't do massive crowds, even if I did you couldn't have gotten to the west platform after the game the tunnel was insane. I got on the train at 7:19 hit port credit took the bus to Steeles caught the Brampton connection as was home before 9. I waited an extra train there was another train that I could have taken earlier, I just didn't want to be in the over crowded space.

Driving I'm sure coming home from the game could take a while.

My experience can vary though, I get to games before the gates open, and I usually stay in town a while after the game, I am rarely in a big hurry... it's the advantage of being sad and alone

Of course that just proves the point. People will take transit, and will pay the money.

But New Yorkers (and the Red Bulls ownership should have known this) are super prejudiced against going to New Jersey for anything. (granted part of that is because it is surprisingly difficult to do)
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-23-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kansas City is actually the worst offender because they tried so hard to push some big lie that there was going to be a multi-sports club with possibly basketball, hockey, or other teams in the mix. I didn't buy it for a second, but I'm kinda surprised that many did.
    Don't know enough about KC but I thought I had heard they were pushing the "Sporting" aspect. Found this article from 2012 which says:

Sporting Club already is more than just an MLS team. Some 75,000 youth soccer players throughout the region compete as part of the Sporting Club Network, an affiliate program that gives them all the thrill of wearing an SKC logo while creating a pipeline for the very best that feeds into the club’s development academy. Coaching assistance and resources and facility access also are available, and the program has grown to include rugby and lacrosse teams. Free membership in Sporting Club is available to fans as well and includes several perks, including special events and discounted or even complimentary tickets.

While it makes people feel part of the club, it gives the club a reliable and ever-increasing, base of potential customers. Sporting Club now has about 180,000 members, and the 200,000 mark is expected to be surpassed soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Actually...yeah, I guess I'll concede that. Originally the owners of Sporting were thinking BIG and wanted an umbrella organization for multiple pro teams (which is very common in Europe), but I guess this is close enough.

http://www.sportingkc.com/scn/members

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people in NYC don't drive, due to heavy traffic and insane parking prices (if you can find one). Every other city in USA car rules the way. Maybe the journey from NYC to Jersey is just to much of a pain in the ass for most to be bothered to transfer trains and all that bull shit into New Jersey, compared to Yankee Stadium. Also to mention The Bronx has 1.5 million people on its door step and Manhatten has 1.6 million across the bridge and then millions of tourists and day trippers. Its just in the heart of the population, and Yankee stadium probably has more exciting things near by. You could make a whole day of it going to a soccer game and then jumping the subway to a bar, restaurant, clubs, theatres, central park, endless amount of stuff really. New Jeresey my guess is you get there, and get out as soon as you can, lol. People just don't want to be there, and it might be longer journey even tho its not that far due to train transfers and such.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Also, not that I mean to at all interject my own politics into this, but can we 1) stop calling New York Energy Drink by their "official" name? they're a walking advertisement for a fucking beverage. Let's not dignify them by calling them what they want us to call them. And 2) how are we exactly going to deal with City's owners? I'm sure teams such as Portland, Chicago, Philly, The Whitecaps etc. who are all very vocally pro LGBT and generally in favour of Humans being nice to other humans, are going to have a very, very, serious issue playing against a team whose owners seemingly enjoy committing Human Rights Violations. I'm just saying, it's some stuff to think about.
    Your Call to Arms may fall on deaf ears but I share the sentiment and do my best to use city names when talking about our league vs nicknames I'm not fond of. I suppose I'll have to start calling them New Jersey once the second team arrives.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Your Call to Arms may fall on deaf ears but I share the sentiment and do my best to use city names when talking about our league vs nicknames I'm not fond of. I suppose I'll have to start calling them New Jersey once the second team arrives.
    I prefer the Shite Bulls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a heads up, prices for NYC FC tickets came out today. decent pricing structure but their most expensive season ticket is about 3k.... yeesh

Also, If you want a little fun, hit up their supporters forum. they're gonna wear badge of "most entitled supporters" on their fucking sleeve like no one else. I hate them already.

lot of people on their though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Atlanta stadium is insane.

in the video, they show the MLS club playing in the new stadium.

http://gizmodo.com/a-closer-look-at-...0/+kevindraper

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKP7FaiqEE

MLS shows up around 2:44

Last edited by Wagner; 01-20-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty impressive stadium. For everything but MLS.

I have no faith in them filling that like Seattle can. It will be New England and Washington v2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to go for a game (either MLS or NFL) just to be in that stadium. Atlanta is going to be nice addition for MLS. Well done ATL!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice stadium, and glad its open air, of a sort. But, turf is still turf. And if they don't get 20K, its going to sound empty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a lot I like about that stadium and a lot that I don't. Honestly, I looks awfully claustrophobic in some sections with the way the structure sorta encloses everything. Has a great external look, though. I like the overall design, I'm just a little leery about the cavernous interior.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-21-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Pretty impressive stadium. For everything but MLS.

I have no faith in them filling that like Seattle can. It will be New England and Washington v2

I follow a few beat reporters and general media personalities from ATL and there does seem to be a reasonably stupid amount of hype around this team already, as surprising as that is. They've sold a ton of season tickets already for a team that won't start until 2017.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-21-2015 at 12:16 AM.