Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Shouldn't Osorio be counted as a home grown player? I thought he came out of the academy last year. Morgan was signed long before and he still counts as home grown.
    That's just TFC marketing. He has very little to do with the academy. Trained in Urguary and came here where he mainly played CSL and came to the occasional TFC camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Bendik is overpaid. That pissed me off. One good year and he gets to more than double his salary and make solid money. Ridiculous in my opinion. Way too much money, he isnt even that good.
    Just weird we have two goalies eating up along 400,000
    He was going to be our starting GK, he gets starting GK money. Simple as that and I have no problem with it. Still 50k cheaper than Frei and Cesar is gone after this year.

For Osorio, he wasn't grown at home, but he's a Homegrown Player as far as the league is concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Bendik is overpaid. That pissed me off. One good year and he gets to more than double his salary and make solid money. Ridiculous in my opinion. Way too much money, he isnt even that good.
    Just weird we have two goalies eating up along 400,000
    10 goalies make more than Bendik does (not including Cesar). I don't think he is overpaid.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On one hand, people expect players to give up "real" careers and education to pursue soccer.

Yet there is nitpicking over what domestic players earn. Some of these guys may never earn over $100k/year again in their lifetimes. It's not a life changing annual sum.

If anything this league should have more Bendik salaries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good chance that Jordan Hamilton was signed to one of those HGP GA deals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    good chance that Jordan Hamilton was signed to one of those HGP GA deals
    He was...

http://www.adidas.com/us/content/generationadidas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    according to reports, Wenger isn't GA...and he is listed, not taking away from Hamilton, but no way Ashtone Morgan is still GA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raise your hand if you didn't know Gilberto's surname before seeing this list.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    On one hand, people expect players to give up "real" careers and education to pursue soccer.

Yet there is nitpicking over what domestic players earn. Some of these guys may never earn over $100k/year again in their lifetimes. It's not a life changing annual sum.

If anything this league should have more Bendik salaries.
    A Good point well said

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Raise your hand if you didn't know Gilberto's surname before seeing this list.
    I see that and all I can think of is Sean Connery in that Indiana Jones film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I see that and all I can think of is Sean Connery in that Indiana Jones film.

I'm thinking Junior mints. Like the Seinfeld episode. (Can you even get those up here?)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should keep in mind, that the new CBA is next year. Who know what a reasonable salary will be then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's what I'm thinking. The league may be crying poor, but I think they know they have to step things up. I can't see them not raising the cap to at least $4.5 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    ^ That's what I'm thinking. The league may be crying poor, but I think they know they have to step things up. I can't see them not raising the cap to at least $4.5 million.
    If they do that then expect a significantly larger portion of DP's salaries to count against the cap.

I'd like to see transfer fees not counted towards the cap. I think it will allow teams to bring in quality foreign players and allow the teams that have a bit more $ not get penalized for taking the chance on owning players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    We should keep in mind, that the new CBA is next year. Who know what a reasonable salary will be then.
    Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    If they do that then expect a significantly larger portion of DP's salaries to count against the cap.

I'd like to see transfer fees not counted towards the cap. I think it will allow teams to bring in quality foreign players and allow the teams that have a bit more $ not get penalized for taking the chance on owning players.
    I agree if the cap goes up then more of the homegrown stars will be getting pay increases, the amount counting against cap for DPs will go up (probably up to $500,000 even based on a 4.5 - 5 million cap, and some of the lower professionals in Europe that haven't gotten a chance to move up may work their way over for comparable salaries).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hold on though, why does anyone expect wages to change if the "cap" goes up?

This isn't the NHL. Outside of DPs, the teams aren't spending their own money. This isn't a "free market" buyers and sellers setting wages based on demand and supply.

This is the MLS. MLS pays the salaries and signs the contracts. It does so out of its own revenues. It is the only buyer in this market.

This "Cap" could be $10M and it wouldn't matter if MLS didn't have the revenue to sign the players. Salaries will go up if revenues go up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't the NHL. Outside of DPs, the teams aren't spending their own money. This isn't a "free market" buyers and sellers setting wages based on demand and supply.

This is the MLS. MLS pays the salaries and signs the contracts. It does so out of its own revenues. It is the only buyer in this market.

This "Cap" could be $10M and it wouldn't matter if MLS didn't have the revenue to sign the players. Salaries will go up if revenues go up.
    You can expect the league minimum wages to be increased as part of the CBA negotiations. If the minimums rise, everything else rises accordingly.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    You can expect the league minimum wages to be increased as part of the CBA negotiations. If the minimums rise, everything else rises accordingly.
    Sure but that would be the decision of the league. They could raise the minimum salary without really altering their pay scale for the players with 3+ years experience.

They will ultimately sign players at wages they can afford. "Raising the cap" is essentially inconsequential to what MLS can afford to pay.

MLS pays the salaries of all but 3 TFC players.

Don't forget too that the league actually does have a cap. It's not the salary one which is actually a budget but it is a cap on the number of International players a team can have. Unless that changes, the bulk of MLS players will continue to come from the US and to a much smaller extent, Canadian, talent pool. There is no supply shortage there which means it is essentially a buyer's market. MLS will pay what it wants to. There is not much competition for the typical MLS player on the international market.

Raising the league minimum is a good thing though. It should encourage people to not give up on soccer and think of it as a viable "career" or at least a way to earn a living through the first decade of one's work life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This "Cap" could be $10M and it wouldn't matter if MLS didn't have the revenue to sign the players. Salaries will go up if revenues go up
    I expect wages to go up because the Players Union will demand it for their lower-tier players. I expect revenue is going up gecause the new TV deal is 7 times the size of the old one.

I did a comparison of all the clubs' 2014 Salaries and this is what I come up with ranked highest to lowest:
    Club 2014 Guaranteed Compensation Average Annual Attendance per game
    TOR Total $16,648,858 19,912
    LA Total $13,054,244 22,094
    SEA Total $11,787,587 37,254
    NY Total $11,245,784 17,228
    VAN Total $6,272,750 19,444
    MTL Total $6,067,139 21,678
    DAL Total $4,645,279 12,157
    SJ Total $4,327,176 12,546
    PHI Total $4,231,924 18,522
    DC Total $4,098,050 17,039
    POR Total $3,922,328 19,633
    RSL Total $3,831,635 17,269
    KC Total $3,731,612 11,745
    CLB Total $3,687,508 15,234
    HOU Total $3,660,715 17,914
    CHI Total $3,631,411 15,641
    COL Total $3,488,901 14,741
    NE Total $3,432,422 15,461
    CHV Total $3,292,674 15,566
    Grand Total $115,057,996 341,078
    Club Average $6,055,684 17,951
    Club Median $4,098,050 17,228

Now Lieweke says they're loosing money this year, so assume that a $16 million payroll is too high. However, Seattle is profitable and TFC was still profitable back in 2012 when they had a team salary of $9.3 million. To me, that indicates that if you have a full 20,000-seat stadium every home game and a good jersey sponsor, you can afford a $10 million payroll. But the majority of these teams say they're losing money even though the majority are spending under $4 million on salaries. The clubs generating the least revenue are only about 3000 spectators lower than the average. Are margins really that tight? Something isn't adding up here.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now Lieweke says they're loosing money this year, so assume that a $16 million payroll is too high. However, Seattle is profitable and TFC was still profitable back in 2012 when they had a team salary of $9.3 million. To me, that indicates that if you have a full 20,000-seat stadium every home game and a good jersey sponsor, you can afford a $10 million payroll. But the majority of these teams say they're losing money even though the majority are spending under $4 million on salaries. The clubs generating the least revenue are only about 3000 spectators lower than the average. Are margins really that tight? Something isn't adding up here.
    Trying to figure out whether sports teams are in fact losing money is a pretty tough exercise. Since they aren't public entities, lots of factors can go into a balance sheet.

You do have to remember something about MLS though, the teams don't pay the salaries. The league does.

So, if each team is assigned a max budget of $2.9M, MLS is paying that. There are 19 teams. That means MLS is probably paying $55M in salaries + whatever it floats via allocation.

Anything above the assigned budget and allocation, ie. DPs, is the responsibility of the teams.

It gets really complex if you look into the actual structure of the single entity league. I am paraphrasing from this document:

http://www.niu.edu/law/organizations...%20131-174.pdf

but the gist of it is as follows:

Each franchise doesn't actually own the team but rather stock in the league. They get a seat on the Board of Governors and manage the day to day operations of the team. The Board, the collective of operators and league designates, assigns profit and loss to each team and controls operations. In addition to owning the teams, the league also owns all equipment, broadcast rights, ticket rights and intellectual property.

Teams let the operators hire local staff. As of 2010, the league gives each team a management fee that was equal to 50% of local ticket sales and concessions, the first $1.125M of local TV revenues, 100% of overseas tours (Friendlies anyone), and 50% of revenues from the MLS Championship game.

The article is a fascinating, though sometimes heady look at how the league was structured and the challenges it will face as it gradually loses its grip on the single entity structure.

In response to your original question, yeah it doesn't add up because the formula is very unique to professional sport.