Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Chad Barret scored more goals for TfC than Koevs. Koev had a very short time in the sun... well over rated IMO.
    What the...........Koevs had 17 goals in 26 games. He was scoring goals every 113 minutes. That is unheard of. AND its that rate that Brad was talking about. For Gilberto to get anywhere near that would be phenomenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love what I see so far for Gilberto. Once he puts it all together, he will score lots. I said 10-15. But I like that he set his goals to 25, it means he wants it. We will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chad Barret scored more goals for TfC than Koevs. Koev had a very short time in the sun... well over rated IMO.
    Poster I replied to said goal scoring ratio - not total number goals. Koevs number here (goals to minutes played) was second best in the history of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto has been a bit unlucky I would say and is getting his fitness back. I really like his speed and positioning and with Bradley and Osorio feeding him he will score a bunch of goals. I would have been worried if he wasn't getting service as I don't think he will create goals out of nowhere like Defoe may.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I love what I see so far for Gilberto. Once he puts it all together, he will score lots. I said 10-15. But I like that he set his goals to 25, it means he wants it. We will see.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What the...........Koevs had 17 goals in 26 games. He was scoring goals every 113 minutes. That is unheard of. AND its that rate that Brad was talking about. For Gilberto to get anywhere near that would be phenomenal.
    Exactly. I think Gilberto is going to be good and will score for us.

But does anyone really think he is going to break the MLS goalscoring record this year? Because if he puts up numbers like Koves and stays fit that is what he will do.

I certainly don't expect that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By two with about double the number of appearances. Koef was a goal scoring machine. If not for that injury he'd be the top TFC scorer now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is the kind of player who can bag 2-3 in a match. He's not only going to score us some goals once he rounds into form, he's going to score some fucking beautiful goals. He's got an eye for the top shelf like a hockey player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has done well enough in the time he's had. I feel like once he gets one, they're going to keep coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys are looking at him with rose coloured glasses. Or maybe the afterglow of a great off-season. I haven't seen enough really either way to guess how he'll be long term. He had a nice assist on the Defoe goal against DC. Had a shot that was always wide and rising go off the woodwork against Columbus. Other than that, not much. To me the flopping is a concern. A breeze off the Lakeshore knocks him down. Watch on Saturday how often he goes to ground. It makes me question his work rate. But again, it's so early I don't know how people can confidently predict he'll score 15 goals or say he's a flop. Wait until August for that conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did people expect Gilberto respond when asked about how many goals he'd bag this year? Be humble? Imagine it went this way:

Reporter:
    Gilberto, what are your expectations for scoring this year?

Gilberto (through interpreter) : I think I'm going to take at bit of time to get used to my teammates and my striker partner - barring any injuries, of course. This year, my numbers will be lower than what we all want, but should improve next year and the year after. I'm going to give you a safe number, maybe 5-10 goals.

Does that really sound like a player we'd want as a striker? I want a finisher that has confidence in his abilities, even if it is only hubris. I want him to be upset that he didn't hit his goal, even if was unrealistic, and to work harder to hit it next year. And if he did score 25 this year, I'd hope he expects 30 next season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have enough confidence to captain him this weekend for my fantasy team, I think he pops his cherry tomorrow.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I have enough confidence to captain him this weekend for my fantasy team, I think he pops his cherry tomorrow.
    I like it when people put their money where their mouth is. Well, not money exactly but you know what I mean. Not a bad to punt to make actually. Hope it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    What did people expect Gilberto respond when asked about how many goals he'd bag this year? Be humble? Imagine it went this way:

Reporter:
    Gilberto, what are your expectations for scoring this year?

Gilberto (through interpreter) : I think I'm going to take at bit of time to get used to my teammates and my striker partner - barring any injuries, of course. This year, my numbers will be lower than what we all want, but should improve next year and the year after. I'm going to give you a safe number, maybe 5-10 goals.

Does that really sound like a player we'd want as a striker? I want a finisher that has confidence in his abilities, even if it is only hubris. I want him to be upset that he didn't hit his goal, even if was unrealistic, and to work harder to hit it next year. And if he did score 25 this year, I'd hope he expects 30 next season.
    Exactly.

Canary, for me I like his movemnt on and off the ball, I liked his passing, he took quality shots at the goal, he created decent chances out of little, he is strong, and he has good pace, he has good vision for his own positioning and to see his teammates, I have seen everything I would want for a professional striker. Now he shows me some finish, and he could be a top MLS striker and a good striker on almost any professional team other then the top European teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everybody is equating goals scored as a success/failure rate, but that's not the case for every forward. From what I've seen of Gilberto so far, he brings other players into play with his runs and skill. I don't see him as a 20+ goals a year player, more a 10 to 15, and then he creates chances for other goals just by his off the ball play. I don' think we are going to judge this guy by just goals scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm. still goaless.

wasnt DP quality against Colorado, not as much hussle as in the past, Dero was more involved and creative(even with his lost steps).
    Im going to ignore that game completely. Gilberto needs to score soon or set a few up, that's the job he was hired to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Exactly.

Canary, for me I like his movemnt on and off the ball, I liked his passing, he took quality shots at the goal, he created decent chances out of little, he is strong, and he has good pace, he has good vision for his own positioning and to see his teammates, I have seen everything I would want for a professional striker. Now he shows me some finish, and he could be a top MLS striker and a good striker on almost any professional team other then the top European teams.
    So you're saying he could be a starter on, say, Everton? Or Southampton? He wouldn't get a start over my favourite player Ricky Van Workrate.

I can see a bit of what you are saying. He's made some nice layoffs. When he runs he knows where to go. He's a bit lazy about it though. In fairness, he's definitely not getting enough service. But the more I see of him the less convinced I am of what you guys are saying, not more. He does have to score goals too. You just can't be a DP striker and not be scoring. Again, I think he needs half a season before we can really say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish we still had Laba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    I wish we still had him too...but it's still way too early to say he'd be a better DP than Gilberto. Gilberto alongside Defoe has been pretty good.
    Bradley and Laba in the midfield tho...oh to dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    And then we could start Weideman and Hamilton up front. With no bench forwards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    hmm. still goaless.

wasnt DP quality against Colorado, not as much hussle as in the past, Dero was more involved and creative(even with his lost steps).
    Not from what I saw, but I was at the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think getting that first goal will make all the difference in the world to Gilberto. Very important to get that goal early - like Defoe did. That allows him to work in peace. Now there's so much pressure on him that it may effect how he plays the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much, I had though the same. That said, before the injuries hit, we had Dike for depth up front, and DeRo was probably worth a punt as depth up front. Of course, you can make a very valid argument (as Pookie is doing) about the wisdom of relying on injury prone or recently injured players in a league with no injury cap relief

We all knew going into this season that in depth center midfield was going to be a problem, and now we are seeing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm...I like his desire and has shown some hustle. But I concur with comments that he was hired (and is being paid handsomely) to do better.
    I fear a bit of a Soldado sitchyation brewing here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stugatzo View Post
    Hmmmm...I like his desire and has shown some hustle. But I concur with comments that he was hired (and is being paid handsomely) to do better.
    I fear a bit of a Soldado sitchyation brewing here!
    Well, he had about six months before people started calling him a flop....

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Laba didn't go because of Gilberto, Laba went because of Bradley.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This is an endless debate here. But TFC never said that Bradley is a replacement/upgrade on Laba. In fact, the messaging was always that Bradley and Laba would be a killer central midfield, and management was doing everything in its power to keep Laba. These are not like for like players. Laba had to go because TFC invested $100 million in two star DPs. That left two second tier DPs for one spot. Laba went.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Exacto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at the time that decision was made, we had Dike squarely in the mix. But yeah, good point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A DP is a DP, we had room for three. Once we had four, one had to go. Either cut off a DP you brought into the mix last year or cut off a DP you brought into the mix this year.

I reject the whole "it was Laba or Bradley" argument. If we wanted to cut Gilberto and keep Laba, we certainly could have done that.