Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gilberto - expectations

I dont think he will hit the 25 goal mark this year.

And he hasnt scored yet, loves to hit the post.

However, he looks dominant out there. Creates his own chances.

Do you guys think he needs to get the monkey off the back? Or did he underestimate MLS?

In past years we would have been crying about our DP striker not scoring yet. This year we have options. (although injuries are adding up)

I still like him over Urruti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like him and think it's just a matter of time before he starts bagging goals. My expectations remain unchanged: 15 goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He just needs 1 to start scoring more. Im saying he scores against colorado. I dont think he underestimated the mls at all. He looks like he can hold his own and definitely isnt cocky, if you will, on the ball thinking he is better then the guy in front of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect him to keep strong with the hold up play and to pot maybe 8-12 goals. Possibly a handful of assists as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 goals? Were you really expecting that? Quite the lofty mark.

I think anywhere from 10-15 goals is a good number for him this year. The good thing about him is he's still a valuable piece of our starting lineup even if he's not scoring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DC goal was all him. Shot saved, and instantly jumped in for the rebound to disrupt the clearance.
    You can tell he's frustrated from not scoring, but I agree with people that think that once he scores his first, the flood gates will open.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that 15 is unrealistic, anything less than 10 and I think he is a bit of a bust unless he has as many assists or something.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prediction is 5-10 goals this year as he adjusts to playing in the league and living in North America, with an increase in goals next year.

I don't think he is bust at that level, this signing is not just about one year, but several.

Also - he's not match fit yet, so judging his production before he is is unfair. IMHO - his all around game has looked good despite lack of match fitness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a bit of a flopper. Needs to spend more time on his feet. We have to see where he's at around August to really judge, but on his money he needs to be in double digits for goals for the season imo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In his playing position as well as the DP tag he has to be able to put it in the net. That is what he is paid to do. I still think he will. I like what I have seen so far. He kind of reminds me of Torres on Chelsea in his first few games. He is involved in the plays and sometimes is a main factor in the buildup to a goal but never gets it himself. As long as he contributes and provides openings to score for other players I think he is valuable to the team still even without a big goal tally. His goal of 25 was a bit too lofty and with that I think he underestimated MLS but he has proven so far he can play here. Can't wait to see how things unfold for him this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We will see, but I like what I have seen so far. He needs be given some more time. This is a bit off topic but.......the peskier and more of a threat Gilberto becomes, the more resources and attention the opposition will have to devote to counter him.....thus freeing up scoring opportunities for another attacker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    25 goals? Were you really expecting that? Quite the lofty mark.

I think anywhere from 10-15 goals is a good number for him this year. The good thing about him is he's still a valuable piece of our starting lineup even if he's not scoring.

When we were at the Real Sports store to pick up our new jersey, Gilberto and Caldwell were there.

Gilberto said he expected to score 25 goals . . . .
    J&M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMolly View Post
    When we were at the Real Sports store to pick up our new jersey, Gilberto and Caldwell were there.

Gilberto said he expected to score 25 goals . . . .
    J&M
    Oh, right, I remember hearing of that quote. I see what he was referring to then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto never said he expected to score 25 goals..

A reported asked how many he'd like to score and he said he'd like to score 25 goals.

Every Striker would like to score that.

EDIT

Went and looked it up.

Reporter asked what his expectations were

Gilberto through an interrupter said:

"He has a goal to score 25 goals and he wants to see if he can meet that." :54 secs

My Expectations is to see him develop and to be a threat along with Defoe up front to force the defence to open up for not only each of them but for the midfield too..
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-09-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto will be a similar story as Koevermans (hopefully with a happier ending). Takes a while to pot his first, but once he does, he'll go on a rampage.

Good holdup play, first touch, and attitude. I'm impressed so far.

15 goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a very balanced game and as a target man he helps the team immensely even when he doesn't score. I think once he gets comfortable 15 goals should come easy, in fact if we didn't have Defoe we would be expecting more. He could reach Koevs goal scoring ratio, targetman like him are hard to find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No expectations but just hoping we get to witness one of these live:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havent read anything else in this thread yet.
    I expect itll take some time for him to adjust, i expect he will contribute but not necessarily through goals.
    Dunno fi i expect him to be worth his pay tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He has a very balanced game and as a target man he helps the team immensely even when he doesn't score. I think once he gets comfortable 15 goals should come easy, in fact if we didn't have Defoe we would be expecting more. He could reach Koevs goal scoring ratio, targetman like him are hard to find.
    That's a tall ask. Koev's goal scoring ratio is second best in the history of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That's a tall ask. Koev's goal scoring ratio is second best in the history of the league.
    While this is true, is Koevs body of work that much better than Gilberto's? For me the tools are there for Gilberto, all that's left to see are his natural instincts and finishing ability. I wouldn't be disappointed if he isn't up to Koevs goal ratio which is admittedly pretty nuts, but taking into account his age, development and ability, we shouldn't underestimate Gilberto. With MLS defenses double teaming Defoe he could have a field day.
    Last edited by Richard; 04-09-2014 at 08:03 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing him in action now, I think I would agree with something around the 10-15 goal mark. Like Richard said above, you've got a lot of teams undoubtedly focusing more on containing Defoe because he's proven himself a proficient goal-scorer. Of course, nobody's going to ignore Gilberto, but right now I don't think he's treated as much of an offensive threat as Defoe is, or perhaps even Bradley.

Gilberto is gonna score - it's just gonna happen. But I'm not expecting a blow-out from him this season, either.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-09-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen enough to guess how many he could score with any accuracy. His interplay is very good, his work rate is decent. Don't know if he's an aerial threat at all, haven't seen him challenge in the air.

Tough to say. From his movement he looks like a good professional player, above average MLS level, maybe premiership level. But that doesn't always equate to being a consistent finisher. And he's so involved, I wonder if he's selfish enough to take all of his chances when they come.

He does look like he can create his own space, though, which in this league is very important.

I'm gonna say he's a 10-12 goals per season guy. He's not a poacher like Wondo because he's much more involved in the buildup, due to our style. But he looks dangerous most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I haven't seen enough to guess how many he could score with any accuracy. His interplay is very good, his work rate is decent. Don't know if he's an aerial threat at all, haven't seen him challenge in the air.

Tough to say. From his movement he looks like a good professional player, above average MLS level, maybe premiership level. But that doesn't always equate to being a consistent finisher. And he's so involved, I wonder if he's selfish enough to take all of his chances when they come.

He does look like he can create his own space, though, which in this league is very important.

I'm gonna say he's a 10-12 goals per season guy. He's not a poacher like Wondo because he's much more involved in the buildup, due to our style. But he looks dangerous most of the time.

correct not a poacher....doesnt have the toe poke style nor that lazy Lion in a field than pounce look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a good player and his skills are kind of the opposite of what Defoe does so they compliment each other pretty well.

IMO Bradley has been our best player by far - maybe best in the league so far?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I expect him to get better each game. Between the early-season injury and the language and developing chemistry with his teammates, I think he'll hit his stride later in the season and then all of the glimpses we are now seeing will come together.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like him so far. 80% of Defoes chances in that first home game came directly from Gilberto, something he's not getting enough credit for IMO. Goals will come, strikers are nothing if not confident in themselves.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-10-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If Gilberto can be developed into a 20 goal scorer, Defoe could be part of a squad rotation for the strike force where he didn't have to play all games and could skip any shite nfl stadia masking as a venue for MLS. If TFC could find previous cup form and make a run Defoe could feature in some CCL games and maybe give TFC a chance to take the next step in the competition and have a shot at a new trophy for the cabinet. First step reclaim the Voyageurs cup!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment. Thinking about it now, it's like he's shown a high level of skill in almost all the requirements for a good striker except for just being able to put that ball in the back of the net.

What sticks out the most in my mind when I see Gilberto play is his movement. He's typically quick to spot openings and seems to have a good eye on noticing defensive mistakes and how to exploit them.

When it comes to sports in general, I know what I like; and I like seeing players who excel at capitalizing on the mistakes of their opponents. If Gilberto ends up being that sort of player, I will be a very happy supporter.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I mentioned this before somewhere, but Gilberto will take time. It's especially hard for him to make quick adjustments and ask his teammates for different service during the game because he speaks 0 English. Unlike Laba who would start the attack, Gilberto is trying to finish it - so the built up has to be in his favor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Chad Barret scored more goals for TfC than Koevs. Koev had a very short time in the sun... well over rated IMO.