Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now around 1500 season ticket deposits for atlanta
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    now around 1500 season ticket deposits for atlanta
    I don't know if that means much or not. Sport teams often get deposits early in all the hype of a new team. A good tickets sale in the first few years at a new sports team doesn't always mean success, its the years later when a team has some bad place finishes and the honey moon is over. Teams like Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning did really well in early days. Tampa I believe was setting records because they played in a big dome like stadium for the early days. And there was the dreaded Phoenix Cayotes in there first few years tickets were a hot item and sold out, look what happened to that. It was there 6th year in 2001 that average attendance really started to drop to only 13,000. It then rose for a bit to around 14-15k in the mid 2000's by 2009 it dropped into the 11k range, today I think they are in the 13k range. Even TFC ticket sales dropped, tho fans weren't completely to blame, TFC did over price tickets and then the team would play piss poor year after year, but still. But hey I hope its a good sign for the future success in Atlanta. If they get good crowds its good for MLS. No MLS fans wants half empty stadiums.
    Last edited by james; 04-17-2014 at 12:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...erminus-legion

Terminus Legion now claiming 500 members

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad logo for the supporter group.

Also, that flag below works!

Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-18-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope this league all the best and hope Atlanta works out and ends up being a good franchise with a good following, but this league has too many teams with major attendance problems. I mean if you can't at the very least average over 15000 a game then you as a club have major problems. I will give D.C. and Chivas a break right now until they sort out their stadium issues, however, teams like Columbus ( 11000 yesterday), Colorado(11000 or so yesterday), New England and even Chicago and the Red Bulls who's stadiums seem to be always half empty whenever I watch them play at home have issues. They play like what 17 or 18 home dates and you can't consistently get at least 15000 a game, then you have a problem. What if MLS was like hockey where they play like over 40 home games what would some of these problem franchise be getting a game maybe a couple of thousand a game. Yes expanding is nice, however they need to deal with all these problem franchises who are drawing flies.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Expanding over 20 games is a mistake in my mind, but the league seems committed to putting a club in every possible market they can find. I think we'd be a much stronger organization if we sorted out clubs like Chivas and DC first. San Jose is probably gonna sort themselves out once their new stadium is completed, so I'm not all that worried about the Quakes, though. I'm still kinda wary about New York getting a second franchise as well. I think NYCFC could very well be a success on the other side of town, but I'd rather see the Red Bulls fill their new stadium up every week.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-26-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That SI article is an informative one.

It would be nice to see MLS persevere with its troubled franchises and emerge, head high, with shining solutions. But trying to force an outcome where long-term apathy reigns is hardly the way to go. Given the strength of Arthur Blank's ownership in Atlanta, you have to cut MLS some slack, but I'd be happier to see the league move franchises that aren't working to more receptive markets - Chivas to Sacramento or San Diego, Columbus to St. Louis, Minneapolis or Indianapolis. Then put off further expansion until the quality of play rises.

With the arrival of Atlanta, MLS now has teams in the top 10 US TV markets, but only 5, if you include Miami, in the next 15. That second group is where the most crucial decisions will have to be made.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 04-23-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see the league expanding to 28 teams that would cover the majority of the top 25 markets:
    EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Atlantic Division: New England, NYRB, NYCFC, Philadelphia, DC United, Orlando, Miami
    Central Division: Montreal, Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Charlotte
    WESTERN CONFERENCE
    Mountain Division: Minnesota, RSL, Colorado, SKC, Phoenix/San Antonio, Dallas, Houston
    Pacific Division: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacremento, San Jose, LAG, Chivas

That's pretty well balanced geographically and includes 20 of the top-25 TV markets. San Antonio over Phoenix because it will kill the NASL. And Detroit is a lost cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    That SI article is an informative one.

It would be nice to see MLS persevere with its troubled franchises and emerge, head high, with shining solutions. But trying to force an outcome where long-term apathy reigns is hardly the way to go. Given the strength of Arthur Blank's ownership in Atlanta, you have to cut MLS some slack, but I'd be happier to see the league move franchises that aren't working to more receptive markets - Chivas to Sacramento or San Diego, Columbus to St. Louis, Minneapolis or Indianapolis. Then put off further expansion until the quality of play rises.

With the arrival of Atlanta, MLS now has teams in the top 10 US TV markets, but only 5, if you include Miami, in the next 15. That second group is where the most crucial decisions will have to be made.
    St.Louis looks like its not that different then Detroit.

St.Louis - Population in 1950 - 856,796. And the population in 2010- 319,294.
    Detroit - Population in 1950 1,849,568. And Population in 2010- 713,777.

Many jobs have left St.Louis, many industrial business have left town and many gone over seas. Populations have decreased, poverty reason, and crime and murder sky rocketed (St.Louis in 2012 rated 3rd highest murder rate behind only Detroit and New Orleans). I wonder if St.Louis would still be a good market for new teams? Many people seem to say Detroit would never work getting a team due to the state of the city, but while St.Louis might not be as bad as Detroit, it doesn't look that much worse and still on the fast decline.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta has eclipsed 9000 season ticket deposits. Didn't expect that.

source: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-s...ls-team/nfhpP/
    Last edited by kodiakTFC; 04-26-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When ticket numbers come out i'm always interested in how many are scalpers... even though we really have no way of knowing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Atlanta has eclipsed 9000 season ticket deposits. Didn't expect that.

source: http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-s...ls-team/nfhpP/
    wow if thats the case, then good on them. They sure passed what I ever thought they would sell this early. Hope it stays this way and keeps rising, they got plenty of time!