Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's not the right point. Question is whether an SSS works if it isn't easy for lots of people to get to. Sometimes that's "downtown", but in many US cities it isn't.
    this started from your first post. you said there was only 2 teams with Specific Soccer Stadiums that are near the central city center. But they aren't the only ones in and near downtown that are doing well, and Kansas City actually isn't one of them in the city downtown center. If you get in a cab and asked to go downtown Kansas City you would not end up anywhere near Sporting stadium. You can call it a entertainment center, a mall district, a speedway, whatever, but downtown it is not tho, its a rather suburban/rural area, lots of open space and wide roads. Anyways I don't even know why we arguing , whatever man.
    Last edited by james; 04-08-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    this started from your first post. you said there was only 2 teams with Specific Soccer Stadiums that are near the central city center. But they aren't the only ones in and near downtown that are doing well, and Kansas City actually isn't one of them in the city downtown center. If you get in a cab and asked to go downtown Kansas City you would not end up anywhere near Sporting stadium. You can call it a entertainment center, a mall district, a speedway, whatever, but downtown it is not tho, its a rather suburban/rural area, lots of open space and wide roads. Anyways I don't even know why we arguing , whatever man.
    Yeah you're right. I see your point.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    The Flacons get pretty good numbers, though. Last year they saw crowds of just over 70,000 which is higher than the league's average. ....l.
    College football is king in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina & Tennessee. The SEC is bigger then the NFL around there. Nascar 3rd and then College basketball.

I don't see this move working at all. San Antonio would have been a better deal - MLS going for the $.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-08-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the question I wonder is why rush a team into a city that is a gamble when there are probably other cities that would be willing to look to build a soccer stadium if they could get a MLS team. Is Atlanta market really that important to the league? I know people say oh its a big hub, big population, blah blah. But truth is it's not really that big, massive sprawl. And does the league really need them? MLS cities have shown smaller cities that are well planned out can support a team just as good and some cases better then the bigger cities. I think they really should hold out on Atlanta unless they are willing to look for the future to build a new smaller stadium. I could see the importance of trying to get into the New York City Market, but Atlanta? I just don't think it would have to much of an effect on MLS one way or another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS would be getting the same $ from San Antonio as it will from Atlanta.

Blank will be a great MLS owner. He has done is homework and he's a big supporter of US Soccer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    MLS would be getting the same $ from San Antonio as it will from Atlanta.

Blank will be a great MLS owner. He has done is homework and he's a big supporter of US Soccer.
    but San Antonio were looking to build a soccer stadium were they not?? because if so San Antonio should win everyday over Atlanta.

I don't know blank, but does he really know soccer? difference between team USA, and club football. Does he know MLS, does he know Europe soccer leagues? these are just questions, they would be things you would like him to know all about.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but San Antonio were looking to build a soccer stadium were they not?? because if so San Antonio should win everyday over Atlanta.

I don't know blank, but does he really know soccer? difference between team USA, and club football. Does he know MLS, does he know Europe soccer leagues? these are just questions, they would be things you would like him to know all about.
    San Antonio already has a SSS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Antonio already has a soccer stadium. Blank has been trying to get an MLS team for 7 years. Home Depot has been a big sponsor of the league for a long time. Does the owner in San Antonio really know soccer? How much did MLSE know about soccer? The moneymen in Seattle? Real Salt Lake?
    Blank has a son who plays at an elite level. He sponsors a 'Soccer for Success' foundation for Atlanta Youth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55;1660387[B
    ]San Antonio already has a soccer stadium[/B]. Blank has been trying to get an MLS team for 7 years. Home Depot has been a big sponsor of the league for a long time. Does the owner in San Antonio really know soccer? How much did MLSE know about soccer? The moneymen in Seattle? Real Salt Lake?
    Blank has a son who plays at an elite level. He sponsors a 'Soccer for Success' foundation for Atlanta Youth.
    Wow and yet Atlanta gets a team instead? I think that's moving backwards. Getting a SSS use to be a vital part of getting a MLS team. Don't like this move. I don't care how long it has taken, in that whole time Atlanta never got a soccer stadium built.
    Last edited by james; 04-08-2014 at 10:29 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow and yet Atlanta gets a team instead? I think that's moving backwards. Getting a SSS use to be a vital part of getting a MLS team. Don't like this move. I don't care how long it has taken, in that whole time Atlanta never got a soccer stadium built.
    if you look at history of MLS expansion since Toronto, having a SSS is a nice to have, not a must.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blank probably isn't what you would label a "soccer guy", but he is definitely an all-round "sports guy".

Obviously, he owns 90% of the Falcon and showed interest in buying the Braves a few times in the past, but we gotta remember he's shown an interest in MLS and soccer in general for quite some time now. During the early stages of designing the new Atlanta stadium he even went so far as to ensure soccer could be accommodated; not just because he figured he might want to see an MLS team play out of the venue, but also to host national team matches and possibly collaborate on a future World Cup bid regardless of a local franchise or not.

Honestly, digging deeper into articles and profiles about him online, I think this guy could potentially be a very good owner. He's philanthropy works also involve a lot of youth sports programs which is cool.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-08-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    if you look at history of MLS expansion since Toronto, having a SSS is a nice to have, not a must.
    yes and no. I believe some teams since 2007 in MLS only got a team because they showed they would build a Soccer stadium. I mean Montreal and Philly showed they would get a soccer stadium built, I not so sure they would of ever got a team otherwise. Portland also showed they would renovate a old ball park into a soccer stadium and were rewarded a team. Vancouver originally showed they would build a soccer stadium, that got turned down and instead they went with the renovation of BC Place (was that after Vancouver was already rewarded a team?). Seattle might have been the only team that never had plans to build a soccer stadium.

Anyways I feel just because Vancouver and Seattle have gone the old way of using NFL/CFL Stadiums as MLS (yes granted they look better then they use to in MLS) I still don't think its the way MLS should go. I think they had it right when they said Soccer Specific Stadiums is they way to go for future teams. I think its stupid going back on that now, at a time when we have plenty of teams and I don't see the rush that we need them in the league so fast.
    Last edited by james; 04-09-2014 at 12:59 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes and no. I believe some teams since 2007 in MLS only got a team because they showed they would build a Soccer stadium. I mean Montreal and Philly showed they would get a soccer stadium built, I not so sure they would of ever got a team otherwise. Portland also showed they would renovate a old ball park into a soccer stadium and were rewarded a team. Vancouver originally showed they would build a soccer stadium, that got turned down and instead they went with the renovation of BC Place (was that after Vancouver was already rewarded a team?). Seattle might have been the only team that never had plans to build a soccer stadium.

Anyways I feel just because Vancouver and Seattle have gone the old way of using NFL/CFL Stadiums as MLS (yes granted they look better then they use to in MLS) I still don't think its the way MLS should go. I think they had it right when they said Soccer Specific Stadiums is they way to go for future teams. I think its stupid going back on that now, at a time when we have plenty of teams and I don't see the rush that we need them in the league so fast.
    I'm all for SSS, but economically, SSS don't make sense for local govts. It's not impossible, but it's becoming very hard to get prime land for just SSS. (see blowback on new DCU stadium)
    Even if there is going to be no public money involved for actual building of the SSS, the land is worth so much that the city is likely going to loath using it for SSS.

Hence why most new SSS are in suburbs (where the local govt want any business basically), or either multipurpose stadium or SSS sharing with another sports. (IE, Houston with college pointyball) I don't even know how NYCFC is going to get new land to build a SSS in NYC proper. And SSS in suburbs are having severe problem making it easy for fans to get to the stadium.

Although it depends on city to city, generally, you want a piece of land that has high traffic, high population density and good public transit, and those lands are generally in the city
    Last edited by Yohan; 04-09-2014 at 01:21 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for SSS, but economically, SSS don't make sense for local govts. It's not impossible, but it's becoming very hard to get prime land for just SSS. (see blowback on new DCU stadium)
    Even if there is going to be no public money involved for actual building of the SSS, the land is worth so much that the city is likely going to loath using it for SSS.

Hence why most new SSS are in suburbs (where the local govt want any business basically), or either multipurpose stadium or SSS sharing with another sports. (IE, Houston with college pointyball) I don't even know how NYCFC is going to get new land to build a SSS in NYC proper. And SSS in suburbs are having severe problem making it easy for fans to get to the stadium.

Although it depends on city to city, generally, you want a piece of land that has high traffic, high population density and good public transit, and those lands are generally in the city
    I agree, but they recently built a downtown Houston stadium,a Kansas City stadium on the outter edges of the city. San Jose are building a stadium now and Miami, Tampa (or was that orlando?) and New York City are all talking about building a new soccer stadium. So its not like it can not be done....so why does Atlanta get a pass on a SSS is my question? also someone mentioned Atlanta might be building the NFL stadium in the suburbs anyways?? so they get no location benefit from playing at the Falcons stadium, just save money on building a 2nd stadium is all but other teams got to do it.
    Last edited by james; 04-09-2014 at 01:28 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, but they recently built a downtown Houston stadium,a Kansas City stadium on the outter edges of the city. San Jose are building a stadium now and Miami, Tampa (or was that orlando?) and New York City are all talking about building a new soccer stadium. So its not like it can not be done....so why does Atlanta get a pass on a SSS is my question? also someone mentioned Atlanta might be building the NFL stadium in the suburbs anyways?? so they get no location benefit from playing at the Falcons stadium, just save money on building a 2nd stadium is all but other teams got to do it.
    if you really want to know, read this thread

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...as-22.2002924/
    Last edited by Yohan; 04-09-2014 at 02:10 AM.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you really want to know, read this thread

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/t...as-22.2002924/

thanks, to much read all tho. From a rather quick glance a lot of people along with me are a bit on edge with this move and a lot of people uneasy on where MLS future is going with new franchises and uncertain future stadiums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think MLS is trying to secure there place in the U.S. Southeast along with Miami and Orlando but man there is a lot of competion out there for the mighty sport dollar you are in the heart SEC Country down there and also Nascar country. And again Atlanta IS NOT A GREAT SPORTS TOWN , It still boggles my mind how they got the Olympics ans even that was disorganised mess.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Blank probably isn't what you would label a "soccer guy", but he is definitely an all-round "sports guy". .
    More importantly he is a "money guy".
    The kind of owner that MLS is looking for ... more and more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stadium they are building is a $1 billion retractable roof stadium in downtown Atlanta. The Braves are moving from downtown to the suburbs. In 2017 the stadium will be just as much for soccer as it is for the NFL team. Arthur Blank will own both teams and the MLS side will control all the gameday revenue for 20 home matches. In 2004/2005 they hired the former GM from Columbus as a VP with a view to this move. They have been to KC, Toronto, Portland, NJ and Seattle many times in the last 2 years seeing what works and doesn't work (something the guys at NYCFC and Orlando have also done to their credit). Not sure you want to hear this but Seattle is a Soccer Stadium. I've had season tickets since the MLS Sounders were born. The only issue with it is the turf and that will be rectified in 4 or 5 years. My guess is after we get our renov at BMO Feild with the roof and hybrid grass/turf Atlanta will OPEN their new stadium with it. But that's just a guess.

You said that San Antonio is underfunded. I think the guy in San Antonio has money but not the $ he needs to invest hundreds of millions to take the league where it wants to go. We always are saying the cap needs to be raised significantly ($5m - $10m) in the next CBA - well where do we think this money is going to come from?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard from friends in Vancouver that the Whitecaps parked their Gastown stadium plans for the time being but have not given up on them. They moved into the dome to play nice and score political points that they'll need in future. In order to build the stadium, a great deal of transportation infrastructure - rail, roads, ferries - would be affected. The stadium itself would be sit on a raised platform built above rail lines. Ferry docks would need to be re-located.

But since so much money and political resources went into re-furbishing the dome, pressure was put on the Caps to play there in the short term, just to get revenue back to help pay down some debt to more manageable levels. When that 'tithing' process is complete, the new stadium plans will be re-addressed. There's a lot of agreement that it's a great location in terms of transportation and generating business for the surrounding area.

MLS were likely well aware of the long-term goals of the club and prepared to tolerate a shared stadium arrangement when they accepted the Whitecaps bid to join.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lalas as President?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha! Or grooming consultant.

For those who debate the choice of Atlanta over San Antone(great track by White Cowbell, btw), consider this if you are Don Garber.

MLS already has Texas-based franchises in America's fifth largest market(Dallas) and 10th largest market(Houston). They could add another Texas franchise in the nation's 37th largest market(San Antone) or they could work with billionaire Arthur Blank, owner of the Atlanta Falcons, and move into a new, state of the art stadium in the heart of America's eighth-largest market in Atlanta, a keystone city for any southeast expansion and a huge corporate hub.

No flippin' brainer, IMHO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck there goes the league... ATL land of strippers and guns!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Ha ha! Or grooming consultant.

For those who debate the choice of Atlanta over San Antone(great track by White Cowbell, btw), consider this if you are Don Garber.

MLS already has Texas-based franchises in America's fifth largest market(Dallas) and 10th largest market(Houston). They could add another Texas franchise in the nation's 37th largest market(San Antone) or they could work with billionaire Arthur Blank, owner of the Atlanta Falcons, and move into a new, state of the art stadium in the heart of America's eighth-largest market in Atlanta, a keystone city for any southeast expansion and a huge corporate hub.

No flippin' brainer, IMHO.
    I'm wondering if there are any sort of territorial rules in MLS like there are for other leagues? There is a fair bit of distance between the three cities and Texas is the second-most populated state in the US, but could MLS have already decided that two franchises is enough for the state?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets just add another 20 teams and water down this league even more.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Fuck there goes the league... ATL land of strippers and guns!
    now there a song

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so what two teams move in to the west table.