Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching him in Columbus this weekend, I really think all we need to give Gilberto is time. He is incredibly gifted with his feet. We often joke about the foot skill of Brazilians and their reliance on it, but you can see with him it's so natural. His first touch bringing balls down might be the best on this team. I thought he played a great game, almost had his shot off the cross bar go in. All in all, he is incredibly talented, and if he isn't match fit yet, it scares me what he will be like fit, because he already seems to have at least a step on just about every defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto has played 3 games so far, and missed most of the preseason due to whatever injury he had. The guy is going to score goals in this league no doubt about it. He's made some great runs for far and kept plays alive very well.

Let's relax on this guy already. Just like all the flaming comments about Orr and Jackson. These guys are integral to the team and it's depth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    TFC generally has been good against Colorado at home, and Rapids attack has been rather poor so far. Mastroeni has been grinding out results, but he's no Pareja.

2-0 TFC

Also, first tailgate of the season.
    I nabbed a ticket for this game; I would love to help out anyway I can at the Tail Gate!

Cheers,

Cam
    Tune into the Official Red Patch Boys Podcast on Spotify and Apple Music.

https://open.spotify.com/show/09Tk3GUscsd2ca1wl4mao1?si=vr_u5SdqRvm4HMqKYBE1wQ&d l_branch=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is a quality CF, I expect 10-15 goals, they will come.

This is a game that we have to win. Not because we are in shit, but because we are better then them and we need to get all the points we can get, particularly at home, before the world cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ agree 100%, we're cooked if complacency starts to creep in, or players start leaning on all the hype just because the opponent isn't big name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Gilberto is a quality CF, I expect 10-15 goals, they will come.

This is a game that we have to win. Not because we are in shit, but because we are better then them and we need to get all the points we can get, particularly at home, before the world cup.
    Agreed. He played wide at Internacional a lot, or as a lone striker. I wonder if they knew how good a target man he'd be? Hold up is very good so far and he always looks dangerous.

Might be one of those guys who's very streaky, too, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Agreed. He played wide at Internacional a lot, or as a lone striker. I wonder if they knew how good a target man he'd be? Hold up is very good so far and he always looks dangerous.

Might be one of those guys who's very streaky, too, though.
    scored most of his goals in a 2 and half month period.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still not sure about Gilberto , still need to see more. All I know is because were winning I'm not complaining, but if we were losing then id start getting critical. He needs a goal Saturday !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as we aren't down four guys again, I'd say we should be good for a 2-0 or 2-1 win - contingent on at least Defoe being back. If not, we still could, but less of a shoe-in.

I'm loving Gilberto so far, but I think he plays better with Defoe along side.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    As long as we aren't down four guys again, I'd say we should be good for a 2-0 or 2-1 win - contingent on at least Defoe being back. If not, we still could, but less of a shoe-in.

Shouldn't be an issue we should avoid being down for.

figured it should be 5 or 6... which is not 4

As far as Gilberto goes... I figure he is playing in weather he may not have played in before.. 8 degrees maybe. So getting used to that, while not having a full pre seaon and dealing with a new team that plays a slightly different form of football.

More so is Dero isn't a threat so the Defence is more prone to mark Gilberto more heavily and keep him shut down.

I'd like to see this (if Defoe is still out)

--------------Gilberto-------
    Jaskson---Issey----------Rey
    ------Ossorio----Bradley-----
    Morrow--Caldwell--Henry--Orr

And see how that goes, and then let DeRo come in as a sub at about 60-65 minutes.

Of course I haven't seen Colorado play this season, the team will decide what is best I'm sure I trust their judgement 75%
    Last edited by Kaz; 04-07-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be fascinated with what Nelsen does with the backline. Who does he sit for Caldwell? If it's Hagglund, you'll miss the atheticism and if it's Orr, you miss another dominant leader at the back. What about Henry when he comes back?

It's a great problem to have.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

Got nothing much to add but I totally agree with you on that.

I'm pretty confident Defoe is gonna be playing on Saturday. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think if his hamstring was in much worse shape, we probably would have heard of it by now. I'm glad Nelsen did the right thing and rested him over the Columbus match, but now I can't wait to see him up front along with Gilberto again at BMO Field.

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'd be fascinated with what Nelsen does with the backline. Who does he sit for Caldwell? If it's Hagglund, you'll miss the atheticism and if it's Orr, you miss another dominant leader at the back. What about Henry when he comes back?

Hard to say. Colorado has scored 7 goals in 4 games. But what's really interesting is when they've scored them. In all regular season matches this season, the Rapids have scored every single one of their goals in the 2nd half. Maybe Orr is the better pick because he has a bit more staying power, mentally speaking. That would be my guess.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-08-2014 at 01:23 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Might be one of those guys who's very streaky, too, though

I can see that, I can see him scoring in bunches when his is in the zone, just a feeling from some of his shots, like he is just a bit off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorado has scored most of their goals on penalties, so....be effing careful in the box!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Colorado has scored most of their goals on penalties, so....be effing careful in the box!!!

Another reason to let Henry rest his knee for one more week?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Another reason to let Henry rest his knee for one more week?
    Yeah that's a good point. Might be a good idea if he's not 100% to give him extra rest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

I say he might go for Hagglund with Caldwell. Orr seemed to pick up a knock and Henry is 100% yet I think.......based on Hagglund's game on Saturday I am ok with that.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I say he might go for Hagglund with Caldwell. Orr seemed to pick up a knock and Henry is 100% yet I think.......based on Hagglund's game on Saturday I am ok with that.
    Agreed Hagglund deserves another start especially when you don't want to push Henry anymore then needed.

If also say Issey deserves a start over Rey just to give him a breather too. Nice to finally have some depth that guys can step in and get the job done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN just posted that Defoe, Henry is doubtful, Bradley is questionable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link to the article, http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=448697

Not looking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No mention of Osorio at least.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 12m Doniel just told he feels "a lot better" but he said he doesn't expect to play on Saturday. #TFC

Neil Davidson ‏@NeilMDavidson 6m
    Defoe, Bradley, Henry, DeRo, Orosio, Rey and Bekker all hurting as #torontoFC returns to practice. Nelsen hopes most can recover this week.

I suspect there will be a video we will get later this afternoon getting all this straight from Nelsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry himself is saying he doesn't expect to play. If Orr can go with no problems, I'd give him the start. He was our best player against Columbus besides Bradley. I'm confident in Hagglund, especially beside Caldwell, if Orr can't go.

Nelsen said Bradley is suffering from "fatigue injuries". Knowing Bradley I'm going to guess he'll be fine come Saturday. A bunch of other players with minor injuries, too soon to tell whether they'll be available or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping Bradley can go. Even if it's only for the first half. Get the lead and hold onto it in the second.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy... Another depth game. How exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh boy... Another depth game. How exciting.
    I agree, it's very exciting to see how the squad performs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I agree, it's very exciting to see how the squad performs.
    I think he was being sarcastic lol. If we win though, i'll be alot more confident in our depth than i was before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic lol. If we win though, i'll be alot more confident in our depth than i was before.
    Trust me.....so is Martin....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, well it's true. I do want to see more of Hagglund, Issey and Bekker. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a full sqaud but after last week confidence will be high among the fringe players. Hell even Bloom (who's play every minute so far) has made some pretty neat body fakes to create space for himself. He didn't have the swagger before.
    Last edited by MartinUtd; 04-08-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confidence is contagious. I have a lot more faith in our reserves after this past weekend.