Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 5: Colorado at Toronto, Sat 12 April 4PM EST

TFC generally has been good against Colorado at home, and Rapids attack has been rather poor so far. Mastroeni has been grinding out results, but he's no Pareja.

2-0 TFC

Also, first tailgate of the season.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    TFC generally has been good against Colorado at home, and Rapids attack has been rather poor so far. Mastroeni has been grinding out results, but he's no Pareja.

2-0 TFC

Also, first tailgate of the season.
    Given that several of the new starters yesterday will probably retain their spot for the Colorado game - they will be soooo motivated. I think this might be a blowout - 4-0 TFC. Perhaps I am being too pessimistic tho...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait! The only thing with Defoe scoring the only goals in our first two games is that many people thought TFC would be nothing if they ever lost him for any reason. So nice to be able to say that ain't so. Hopefully weather will cooperate on gameday. Hitting up the Raps/Knicks game the night before so looking for 2 big wins to make my weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Defoe, Osorio and Henry are the injury questions going into this game. Although, Orr played great in place of Henry. If healthy i think they'll take Colorado easily otherwise it'll be a tough game. Really worried about Gilberto.....he's a very talented striker but not scoring so far seems to be bugging him alot and affecting his play. Good chance to bag one this week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orr and DeRo might be carrying a knock.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically, don't give them penalties and their offense can be contained fairly easily. The Rapids have 7 goals this year, 5 of which came from penalties (1 of them scored off the rebound).

Hopefully Defoe and Osorio can both return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Winnable.. depending on the Ref. Toledo or Salazar and we are knackered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is very winnable, going to the game cant wait

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to it.
    Gilberto is due for a goal.

Can we expect the pitch to look a little better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=notthesun;1659796]Basically, don't give them penalties and their offense can be contained fairly easily. The Rapids have 7 goals this year, 5 of which came from penalties (1 of them scored off the rebound).

So the 3 keys to the game will be:

1: Don't concede any penalties
    2: Do not foul them inside the penalty box
    3: Do not hand ball it inside the penalty box

I'll be here next week guys.....

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, so penalties are bad, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Rapids offense is that bad? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rapids to bunker a lot and give TFC some space in the midfield to operate. Hopefully Defoe is healthy enough to play in this game. We need to score couple of goals in the first half to take out Rapids out of the game.

Is the pitch fixed now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch should be better as we have had quite a few days in a row above freezing... I don't expect it to be perfect but much better

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Wow, Rapids offense is that bad? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rapids to bunker a lot and give TFC some space in the midfield to operate. Hopefully Defoe is healthy enough to play in this game. We need to score couple of goals in the first half to take out Rapids out of the game.

Is the pitch fixed now?
    Gabby Torres and DeShorn Brown just haven't managed to get going yet. They will, in time. I just hope it's not next Sat

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather forecast looks decent on Saturday.

Sunny and 8C (little colder than last night game in Columbus)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a deceptively tough game. Colorado was a playoff team last year and appears to have gotten better. Check out Mari's tremendous goals this week (you have to see them to believe them, this guy is a DM!), Sanchez is very good too, these guys create chances out of absolutely nothing.

If we play well, I think it'll be Gilberto's coming out party. He feels due in a major way to me.

I don't see this as a 1-0 game, I think there'll be 5 goals or similar.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-06-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone remember the Matchday thread last year started a few hours before kickoff?

Win or lose, this thread is proof that they are doing something right!

Excited already!

6 more sleeps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    So Defoe, Osorio and Henry are the injury questions going into this game. Although, Orr played great in place of Henry. If healthy i think they'll take Colorado easily otherwise it'll be a tough game. Really worried about Gilberto.....he's a very talented striker but not scoring so far seems to be bugging him alot and affecting his play. Good chance to bag one this week.
    It's only been 4 games, right? It's always tough for Brazilian strikers to settle in quickly - anywhere in the world, this is a problem. Especially in a place like Toronto, i'd imagine, where the weather and culture is so far removed from what he is used to.

I'm surprised reading comments on him - that people are worried he hasn't scored yet etc. I thought he actually did quite well in the last game; held it up, almost scored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most new signings need time. Just because Defoe and Bradley are doing their stuff, doesn't mean Gilberto isn't doing well. He looks good, hes getting in to all the right places, and he can pick out others who have a chance on goal. He's going to be frustrated that he hasn't scored yet, but it will come, and I'm pretty sure that once he has his first, many more will follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba took about 4 games to settle in and really start playing at a high level as well. I actually think Gilberto in his first 4 games has shown better than Laba did in his first four - but strikers are judged by how many they score at the end of the day. I'm not worried, I think his quality is pretty clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_gamble View Post
    Most new signings need time. Just because Defoe and Bradley are doing their stuff, doesn't mean Gilberto isn't doing well. He looks good, hes getting in to all the right places, and he can pick out others who have a chance on goal. He's going to be frustrated that he hasn't scored yet, but it will come, and I'm pretty sure that once he has his first, many more will follow.
    Yep. much easier for a guy like Defoe to come in and do well - he's friends with the coach, speaks English and is used to cold weather.

Give Gilberto half a season - he'll come good, from what i've seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapids got the result yesterday due some seriously bad officiating. Laba's red card was a brutal call. Mls refereeing at it's worst.

Colorado was very lucky to get anything from that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is starting to look the business. Biggest problem is that he is not getting the service...it will come. Once Dero stops trying too hard ...and once Rey and Jackson start passing the ball..he will start scoring. When he does we are going to start racking up some big results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the pitch is still going to be crappy and the cool weather won't do either team any favours. I'm hoping that TFC can grind out a result, but Colorado are deceptively good. I'll say 1-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confident of a win. I'll go 3-1 TFC. At least the weather will be a bit more bearable than the first game at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valeo View Post
    It's only been 4 games, right? It's always tough for Brazilian strikers to settle in quickly - anywhere in the world, this is a problem. Especially in a place like Toronto, i'd imagine, where the weather and culture is so far removed from what he is used to.

I'm surprised reading comments on him - that people are worried he hasn't scored yet etc. I thought he actually did quite well in the last game; held it up, almost scored.
    Oh no, i'm not saying Gilberto is a bust or anything. It just seems like he's gotten a little off of his game. He just needs to settle down and trust his teammates...if he does that the goals will come.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sooo looking forward to this Saturday's game. TFC is really starting to come together as a team - the Columbus match really showed us what this roster can do even when we're missing some key players.

The weather for the 12th looks pretty good so far. It will sunny but perhaps a bit chilly at +8 with a breeze. That might give us another advantages over the Rapids, who are likely going to experience relatively dry weather and temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s.

Looking good, TFC!
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having just come back from the great experience by all in Columbus, I am really looking forward to Saturday at BMO. It is going to be a game where the Reds can really build on their mark. I really feel Jackson has stepped up his game, his speed really gives the Reds strength outside on the wings.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valeo View Post

Agree with all of this.

To be honest, Gilberto is doing a lot better so far than I expected at this point, due to the issues you mention with settling. It's also clear that he is step behind in match fitness as well.

His all around game looks very good, he will be a solid player for this team. However, forwards always get judged on goals, so at a certain point that will become the focus. If I was a betting man, I would bet on 5-10 out of him this year, with those numbers going up in the next season or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto goes to ground way too easily in my opinion, which is bit worrisome in this league. But he had a pretty decent game against DC and linked up pretty well with Defoe. I would like to see him put one in the back of the net - that's what he's here for. Needs half a season before we can really start to evaluate him.