Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    What would our SSH number be if we hand not signed Defoe. Maybe 2000 (excluding the 6000 that have to buy SSH as part of the leafs premium seats).
    Pardon? Did TFC become a Marlies pack for Leaf season ticket holders?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would our SSH number be if we hand not signed Defoe. Maybe 2000 (excluding the 6000 that have to buy SSH as part of the leafs premium seats).
    I sat at wednesday night game at BMO this year where there was at the most 5000 people in the stadium. My section was almost empty.
    Weekday cup matches when its about 8 degrees don't exactly draw the walk up crowds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sat at wednesday night game at BMO this year where there was at the most 5000 people in the stadium. My section was almost empty.
    what are you smoking; 600 have to buy ssh as part of the leafs premium seats...that's a laugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when people on TFC SSH waiting list had to buy Mariles flex pack if they wanted to move up on the list? lol

Oh btw: TFC definitely have 16,000 SSH. I know this because all non-SSH seats have "flex pack" paper ad to get people buy flex packs on those seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall TFC get higher viewers when its on a main cable station. When they play on TSN 2, Sportsnet One and all those bonus channels viewership drops, mainly because a lot of people don't have those channels (or even in my case I have Sportsnet one, yet I learned only just this week that when I check my Sports Menu it does not show my sportsnet one sports? ya WTF? I probably haven't realized for years all the sports that haven't showed up on my Menu). Anyways, viewership also explodes when say channel CBC has a TFC game and shown to the entire country rather then just regional or province, that has even been shown in passed when TFC did play the odd CBC game. I also never get how the figure out any of these rating viewership numbers, I mean main sport channels are normally shown all day long at just about any pub or bar, yet most the time no one is actually watching, that got to add a lot of viewership to all sports on any sport channel. But overall TFC and MLS in Canada is still really a local small team sport. A lot of people don't know much about MLS or care about the league. And that ain't always a bad thing, we are big enough to put bums in the seats and have decent stadiums and get some semi big deals done to sign player but not to big that we got to charge rediculous prices to go see a game, which would piss many supporters off, and out price some of us out of the games.
    Last edited by james; 07-13-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wednesday game, they didn't play on Wednesday recently. If you talking about later date, well ive been to every game up untill recently, tho I will agree stadium may announce +20k, really it often looks more like 18,17,16 even 15k this year. But 5k....wtf are you talking about man??? hahahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James, when they count "viewers", they're counting the number of digital boxes that are connected to the channel, not the actual eyes on the screen. Hope that helps with your question.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No question ticket sales rebounded. Still though, for "sold out" games it is a very easy ticket to get.

Advertising for the wait list has me intrigued. You'd never see the Leafs do it.

With stadium expansion though they need to sell another 8,000. If they can't, they can't raise prices either. So there is a win in there for the fans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Advertising for the wait list has me intrigued. You'd never see the Leafs do it.
    Leafs wait list is 20 years, seriously, not the same thing.

As for easy tickets to come by, yes, but so are Leafs and Raptors tickets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    The CFL is a vastly different game then the NFL, which require different types of players in some positions then their NFL counterpart. There is a reason CFL lineman and line backs are smaller then in the NFL. Smaller does not mean, not as good. The CFL found a nich in how they play football, with different rules and style of play, which some people find more entertaining, then the NFL. After watching and coaching football for 30 years, I can tell you the NFL has followed the CFL in style of play over the last 30 years. There are still to many soccer snobs in North America, who won't watch MLS, because they feel it's the same game as in Overseas with lesser players
    I'm well aware of the differences within and between the leagues, both football and gridiron. I wasn't suggesting the CFL rules or game was inferior. I don't believe that. But please don't try and convince me the vast majority of those players would turn down playing in the inferior NFL rules game for vastly superior fame and fortune. As for your footy comparison-I don't see it. One thing that a soccer snob would have correct is that it is the same rules worldwide. That's suppose to be the appeal of the game. They just have skipped the part where one can enjoy one's local live. Like the gridiron comparison above I would be hard pressed to scorn our players for moving on to greater pastures if we were compensated in kind. (Edu for one)

The convo I was having was how Canadian our pro leagues are not since it was raised that more Canadian content was the simple answer to ratings.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When comes to these TV numbers being reported in the media, it's coming from BBM Canada who have people all over the country with pagers that can detect what they're watching and for how long. If they don't have these pagers, then they simply fill out forms on what they watch on TV. I personally find their numbers flawed because only very small amount of people (in thousands) take part of their survey and carry their device.

Rogers and Bell don't rely on BBM Canada to get their numbers since they already know what people are watching through digital cable boxes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    When comes to these TV numbers being reported in the media, it's coming from BBM Canada who have people all over the country with pagers that can detect what they're watching and for how long. If they don't have these pagers, then they simply fill out forms on what they watch on TV. I personally find their numbers flawed because only very small amount of people (in thousands) take part of their survey and carry their device.

Rogers and Bell don't rely on BBM Canada to get their numbers since they already know what people are watching through digital cable boxes.
    The BBM PPMs are pretty accurate. for instance, if you leave your ppm in your bag. You'll get a call the that night or next day, we didn't get a reading for 30 minutes. There are no log books so you can't make stuff up .. they still us those for radio though. The PPMs track PVR recordings within 7 days of original broadcast.

Your cable company can't tell what your watching because most people leave their cable boxes on all day so its no reliable, although the technology is available as of last year or so if you have box that less than a year old they probably can track.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BBM PPMs are pretty accurate. for instance, if you leave your ppm in your bag. You'll get a call the that night or next day, we didn't get a reading for 30 minutes. There are no log books so you can't make stuff up .. they still us those for radio though. The PPMs track PVR recordings within 7 days of original broadcast.

Your cable company can't tell what your watching because most people leave their cable boxes on all day so its no reliable, although the technology is available as of last year or so if you have box that less than a year old they probably can track.
    I was asked by BBM Canada to do Radio ratings, It was sort of a pain but I understand how it's important. Then they sent me a 70+ page survey. Spending habits, what I watch, do I pay attention to advertising, etc, etc.

I can only assume the next step is to ask me to do TV ratings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wed? You mean the mtl voyagers cup game in May? You can post all the negative stuff you want but 5000 is so wrong it need pointing out. Btw. No one is forced to buy tfc seats because of leafs premium package that i know of. Including me. There are lots of packages and discounts for volume. Normal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

I'm always disappointed when I find out that these samples are actually very accurate. I guess it's good that there's so much similarity in people, we should all get along better , but I think it has more to do with how few real choices we get in the programming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World cup Final did 4.9m which is similar to Grey Cup/Superbowl ratings.

No MLS game cracked 100k. so i guessing the games were in the 35-50k range the non-TSN games were getting. Wednesdays game is on TSN (not TSN2 or sportsnet), hopefully we crack 100k

CFL 550-850ish
    Blue Jays 400-450ish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No MLS game cracked 100k. so i guessing the games were in the 35-50k range the non-TSN games were getting. Wednesdays game is on TSN (not TSN2 or sportsnet), hopefully we crack 100k

CFL 550-850ish
    Blue Jays 400-450ish
    guess like you were guessing that 6000 season ticket holders were forced to buy their tickets as leaf premium ticket holders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratings for the Dallas game are in.

Ouch.

Chris Zelkovich, who publishes the ratings in his blog wrote:

While the Raptors are showing promise, their soccer brethren aren't faring so well on television. In what has to be a major embarrassment, the team's game against Dallas on Saturday drew the interest of only 35,000 viewers to Sportsnet One.

Granted, Saturday night during the hockey playoffs is never good for ratings and Sportsnet One doesn't have the widest distribution. But 35,000 is the kind of audience you'd expect for lumberjack competitions

This is not what MLSE envisioned when it paid out all those millions for star players.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...230401936.html
    Why aren't people watching on TV? I believe the marketing is good. Team is entertaining this year.
    Why don't people care about this team (outside the core 15000-20000)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red81 View Post
    Why aren't people watching on TV? I believe the marketing is good. Team is entertaining this year.
    Likely because people in general, don't care about the MLS. It's not a top flight league.

Think of your own viewing habits, how many of us have watched the MLS Cup playoffs over the last 7 years? With TFC out, I have to admit that I really don't care to watch it and haven't. I could barely tell you who won it last year without looking it up.

Yet I will watch NFL, MLB, NHL and if I am forced to… NBA… games that don't involve my favorites. I'm interested in the game and the competition at what is supposedly the highest level of the respective sport.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CFL 550-850ish
    Blue Jays 400-450ish
    In theory, they should. Toronto has a potential of 100k and Vancouver does 100k. They should get up in the high 100's, low 200's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red81 View Post
    Simple....8 years of ruining their image by being a terrible team and treating their fans like shit over and over and over.

Leafs, Argos, jays and raps may suck but all have been successful in the past before.

TFC started their franchise poorly and continued terribly and got worse over and over.

People on the fence to follow them decided a long time ago not to care about them. 1/4 of a season with decent results aren't gonna win them back yet.

TFC still has TONS of work to do to make up for their past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In theory, they should. Toronto has a potential of 100k and Vancouver does 100k. They should get up in the high 100's, low 200's.
    Some of this is also the changing nature of cable TV. I can watch the NFL on CTV with my antenna and, for now anyway, Hockey Night in Canada, but I need cable for the rest and I gave that up. It's too bad TSN and Sportsnet don't allow their apps to show live games even to non-cable subscribers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sporting competition either, I believe. I don't think anything else is on.

In theory, main network, two Canadian teams doing well, no competition there should be a ratings bump. That said, I don't think there will be - I expect similar numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viewership bump will only occur if TFC makes the playoffs this year. TFC needs to make the playoffs and needs to have another successful start to next season. That will increase tv viewership. But overall it will be a gradual growth.

Until the media get their heads out of their rear ends and start to advertise and actually focus more on showing highlights of the league.. it will continue to have a slow growth. Look at CFL. It's absolutely atrocious and a ridiculous "league" with what.. 8 or 9 teams now? Yet, TSN shoves it in your face all the time and has gotten good tv viewership because of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    guess like you were guessing that 6000 season ticket holders were forced to buy their tickets as leaf premium ticket holders?
    No its direct from TL article:

"The franchise was withering on the vine. The average TV audience for Toronto FC on TSN was 98,000 in 2013, down from 103,000 in 2012. On TSN2, the average was 27,000, down from 28,000 the previous year. Over at Sportsnet, the TFC average viewership was 35,000, a 29 per cent decrease from the 2012 average audience of 50,000."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16296939/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All those games on TSN2 and SN2 need to be on CBC, its fucking ridiculous how these games are behind extra paywalls. Either put it on the main network or give up the rights to it.

The CBC also needs to step it up and hopefully the new Fed Lib government restores its status as a premier TV network. TFC, Raps and Jays need to comeback to the network and they need to take a page from what the BBC has been doing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No its direct from TL article:

"The franchise was withering on the vine. The average TV audience for Toronto FC on TSN was 98,000 in 2013, down from 103,000 in 2012. On TSN2, the average was 27,000, down from 28,000 the previous year. Over at Sportsnet, the TFC average viewership was 35,000, a 29 per cent decrease from the 2012 average audience of 50,000."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16296939/

That article says nothing about Leafs ticket holders having to buy TFC season seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    All those games on TSN2 and SN2 need to be on CBC, its fucking ridiculous how these games are behind extra paywalls. Either put it on the main network or give up the rights to it.

The CBC also needs to step it up and hopefully the new Fed Lib government restores its status as a premier TV network. TFC, Raps and Jays need to comeback to the network and they need to take a page from what the BBC has been doing.
    This is much more the fault of the Big TV corps. They purchased the rights of the games and now a large portion of people can't watch it. I would love if CBC took over MLS from them since the other guys took hockey. It's time to turn soccer into the national passion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If CBC were smart, they'd be going to MLS for digital streaming rights (seeing as digital is where CBC want to go).

Except MLSE is owned by their two competitors so that ain't going to happen.

Rogers, in particular, categorically believe that all content should be paid for. They've talked this way to the CRTC since the early 70's.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    This is much more the fault of the Big TV corps. They purchased the rights of the games and now a large portion of people can't watch it. I would love if CBC took over MLS from them since the other guys took hockey. It's time to turn soccer into the national passion.
    MLSE is owned by big telecom. You can't separate TFC from their parent company's business practices and I bet they're too short sighted to grant basic cable or free online access to their matches in an attempt to boost popularity. TV ratings will continue to suffer for the foreseeable future.