Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Originally it was more Canadian league, however, NHL is biggest hockey league in the world. So of course NHL will get great TV ratings in Canada.

MLS is American league while CFL is Canadian league. That's difference between those two leagues! CFL gets better ratings than any other sport leagues outside NHL in this country because it's all out Canadian league. I think people underestimate how big of difference Canadian content matter when comes viewership in this country.
    So what's the difference?

NHL isn't a Canadian League
    CFL is rife with Americans that can't play in the NFL (which makes it more mainstream btw since you bring up "top leagues")
    MLS should be on its way to ratings much like the CFL compared to the EPL since Canadians playing in it would out sell watching foreigners (like in the NFL) do it better.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally it was more Canadian league, however, NHL is biggest hockey league in the world. So of course NHL will get great TV ratings in Canada.

MLS is American league while CFL is Canadian league. That's difference between those two leagues! CFL gets better ratings than any other sport leagues outside NHL in this country because it's all out Canadian league. I think people underestimate how big of difference Canadian content matter when comes viewership in this country.
    I don't know about the viewership, but Canadian content makes a huge difference to the networks and so that effects how much they spend on production and promotion and other things.

And just to be clear, the NHL has never been much more Canadian. From its first year it had 4 American and 2 Canadian teams so the ratio has gone from 2-1 to 3-1 (although Buffalo and Detroit get a lot of support from Canada).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is low quality soccer league. It's not even "our" (as in Canadian) league to begin so to expect Canadians to accept MLS as their major league isn't going to happen especially outside three markets. The fact EPL and CL gets double the numbers than MLS in Canada despite playing in morning time proves that. Soccer is accepted as mainstream now in this country, but not MLS though.
    I think we should be happy the games are on TV because with ratings of 50k-100k are too low for TSN to carry the games or spend any money producing the games and we should be lucky the games are on TV right now because they might not be in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    I think we should be happy the games are on TV because with ratings of 50k-100k are too low for TSN to carry the games or spend any money producing the games and we should be lucky the games are on TV right now because they might not be in the future.
    - TSN holds the rights till then end of the 2016 season. They wrestled the rights away from CBC and Sportsnet who were pulling the same ratings.
    - TSN is starting TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, TSN5 in a couple months. They need all the content they can get.
    - TSN is not going to give up the MLS after losing the NHL deal for the next 12 years to Sportsnet. CBC no longer bids on sports. They are not handing MLS to Sportsnet on a platter.

The TV rights have little to do with ratings and a lot to do with boosting their portfolios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    - TSN holds the rights till then end of the 2016 season. They wrestled the rights away from CBC and Sportsnet who were pulling the same ratings.
    - TSN is starting TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, TSN5 in a couple months. They need all the content they can get.
    - TSN is not going to give up the MLS after losing the NHL deal for the next 12 years to Sportsnet. CBC no longer bids on sports. They are not handing MLS to Sportsnet on a platter.

The TV rights have little to do with ratings and a lot to do with boosting their portfolios.
    TV rights have everything to do with ratings.
    I don't think they wrestled the rights away from SN/CBC because at those low ratings TSN isn't paying anything for the rights (its a profit sharing deal and at those number they are probably operating at a loss). MLS basically went with TSN because TSN has showed them what they have done for the world junior rights and CFL rights.

TSN has said TSN3, TSN4, TSN5 will be filled with low cost ESPN properties they own (due to EPSN 30% ownership) plus regional hockey they own (OTT,WPG,MTL,1/2 TOR).

Where is SN going to put MLS (all there channels will be packed with hockey in Spring and Fall) plus they have to show Blue Jays in Summer.

All I am saying is lets be happy with coverage we have because it could be gone tomorrow.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No World Cup bump for MLS.

Chris' latest ratings report is in. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...200214504.html

TFC vs NY didn't crack the top 17. Whitecaps vs Rapids did but just 119k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Chris' latest ratings report is in. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...200214504.html

Notice that Whitecaps seems to get on TSN, while TFC is put on secondary channels like TSN2/Sportsnet360.
    ... i guess its its because their primary sponsor also owns TSN.

They seems to consistently are drawing 110k, while we are drawing flies.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure you'll update us AFTER the tournament is actually over as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did MLS get boost after last world cup? I don't seem to recall if ratings increase for MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like a boost in ratings due to the World Cup would probably only come after it's over (if it comes at all).

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I'm sure you'll update us AFTER the tournament is actually over as well?
    As you wish

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did MLS get boost after last world cup? I don't seem to recall if ratings increase for MLS.
    Not sure but I think they definitely made progress.

Think of TFC. In the early days, when they weren't on CBC they were relegated to GolTV, the Score. Now, they are on TSN and Sportsnet main networks occasionally. I'm not sure that their market has grown but they became relevant enough to move to channels that were in more demand.

If they can't draw more than 100k, I'm not sure they will stay on the main networks but that is a definite improvement over where they were pre-world cup (2010).

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know it's not after World Cup but Chris' blog is updated.

Neither TFC or Vancouver cracked the top 24 this weekend. #24 was the Indycar Pocono 500 on Sportsnet that drew 103k.

Outside of record setting World Cup ratings, Tennis was a big winner as was the CFL, drawing more than the Jays this weekend. Argos came in at #8 and 534k.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210002530.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outside of record setting World Cup ratings, Tennis was a big winner as was the CFL, drawing more than the Jays this weekend. Argos came in at #8 and 534k.
    majority of which were watching for Saskatchewan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's not after World Cup but Chris' blog is updated.

Neither TFC or Vancouver cracked the top 24 this weekend. #24 was the Indycar Pocono 500 on Sportsnet that drew 103k.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210002530.html
    Believe it or not, but CFL ratings have been not great compare to their last year's average (700K viewers per game). But I guess World Cup is hurting everyone on TV ratings front.

EDIT: Blue Jays ratings are great despite playing late night (They were in California).
    Last edited by TFC07; 07-09-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Perhaps. TSN doesn't care though. 534,000 viewers to content they are providing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    TV rights have everything to do with ratings.
    I don't think they wrestled the rights away from SN/CBC because at those low ratings TSN isn't paying anything for the rights (its a profit sharing deal and at those number they are probably operating at a loss). MLS basically went with TSN because TSN has showed them what they have done for the world junior rights and CFL rights.

TSN has said TSN3, TSN4, TSN5 will be filled with low cost ESPN properties they own (due to EPSN 30% ownership) plus regional hockey they own (OTT,WPG,MTL,1/2 TOR).

Where is SN going to put MLS (all there channels will be packed with hockey in Spring and Fall) plus they have to show Blue Jays in Summer.

All I am saying is lets be happy with coverage we have because it could be gone tomorrow.
    And they've done a pretty good job of putting EPL games into that early Saturday afternoon slot during the season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps. TSN doesn't care though. 534,000 viewers to content they are providing.
    Are you saying the Roughriders are moving to BMO???????

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are you saying the Roughriders are moving to BMO???????
    Yes... that is exactly what I am saying

At least they finally have only one team called the Roughriders.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey, TFC plays the Whitecaps soon.

With them drawing +100k and us drawing +100k, maybe MLS will get a +200k rating for the first time in a long time.

That's math in action boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos normally draw the same audience as the Blue Jays do in Ontario.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...183017606.html

Not cracking 100k again is kinda of disturbing trend. Especially with Bradley coming back from the world cup.
    Maybe after the World Cup people will want a to fill their footy-fix with Defoe & CO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe if TSN or Sportsnet would man the fuck up and continuously put our games on the proper networks we might get proper ratings. Fuck Nascar, honestly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Maybe if TSN or Sportsnet would man the fuck up and continuously put our games on the proper networks we might get proper ratings. Fuck Nascar, honestly.
    they need to promote the games more; they did it for the first 2 games of the year and they got 300k+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they need to promote the games more; they did it for the first 2 games of the year and they got 300k+
    That could have wen down to the hype around Bradley and Defoe though.

But I agree they need to be promoted.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Back in the day CBC got 300k on occasion as well.

Quite a few of the games with poor draws have been on the main networks. People just tuned in initially for the bloody big deal and have moved on from the MLS in general. Much like junior hockey in the GTA. It has its niche but doesn't appeal to the masses that only follow the "top" teams and leagues.

It's all relative though. Games on TSN 2 are better than when on GolTV. Audience is growing. Though not really relevant in terms of mainstream TV, it is better. The stadium looks fuller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That could have wen down to the hype around Bradley and Defoe though.

But I agree they need to be promoted.
    I see whitecaps commercials on TSN all the time ... maybe b/c the have the sponsorship with TSN's parent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really, the biggest growth in CFL ratings are in Southern ONT, for the last 2 years. The Argos get solid ratings in the GTA. Ratings, that the Raptors and TFC would love to get

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's the difference?

NHL isn't a Canadian League
    CFL is rife with Americans that can't play in the NFL (which makes it more mainstream btw since you bring up "top leagues")
    MLS should be on its way to ratings much like the CFL compared to the EPL since Canadians playing in it would out sell watching foreigners (like in the NFL) do it better.
    The CFL is a vastly different game then the NFL, which require different types of players in some positions then their NFL counterpart. There is a reason CFL lineman and line backs are smaller then in the NFL. Smaller does not mean, not as good. The CFL found a nich in how they play football, with different rules and style of play, which some people find more entertaining, then the NFL. After watching and coaching football for 30 years, I can tell you the NFL has followed the CFL in style of play over the last 30 years. There are still to many soccer snobs in North America, who won't watch MLS, because they feel it's the same game as in Overseas with lesser players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    not really, the biggest growth in CFL ratings are in Southern ONT, for the last 2 years. The Argos get solid ratings in the GTA. Ratings, that the Raptors and TFC would love to get
    i guess thats what you get with only 3500 season ticket holders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess thats what you get with only 3500 season ticket holders
    What would our SSH number be if we hand not signed Defoe. Maybe 2000 (excluding the 6000 that have to buy SSH as part of the leafs premium seats).
    I sat at wednesday night game at BMO this year where there was at the most 5000 people in the stadium. My section was almost empty.