Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Separately, they'll have to start marketing their athletes more and get their faces into the public eye. Dempsey and the other USMNT guys are a huge step in that direction. But a lot of this stuff is a product of a league that has a very strong memory of the leans years and wants to reinvent the wheel in terms of getting A+ prices for C+ product.
    Good point, part of the reason I am behind the USA in the WC

Americans do sports like nobody else on the planet, I have never heard of any other country where a whole town goes out on a Friday night to support the local football team. Once Americans REALLY grab hold of soccer, WATCH OUT!

By 2025, MLS is going to be a top league in the world.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe and Bradley are both the best players at their position in this league and that's why we have the record we do... I just find everyone else other then maybe a few BELOW mls quality... Hall is not an mls player... Say what you will about MLS but I think this league is at a point where teams in this league are much better then to employ this type of player even as depth... seriously think Any other team would be 1st if they had MB and Jermaine. The overall depth needs to improve for interest to be their, but how do you do that when your already at the DP limit and your capped out? Why can't these guys string together any type of possession? I watch Vancouver Seattle New England and even lesser skilled teams and their possession is just on another level... I'm a toronto fan first but I watch more Vancouver games then I do Toronto, it's just more enjoyable to watch. I'm not attacking the team I'm just stating some facts they play a very ugly game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Good point, part of the reason I am behind the USA in the WC

Americans do sports like nobody else on the planet, I have never heard of any other country where a whole town goes out on a Friday night to support the local football team. Once Americans REALLY grab hold of soccer, WATCH OUT!

By 2025, MLS is going to be a top league in the world.
    and that's why I'm a fan, because I have hope. I think the league is going in the right direction... It takes time and eventually the product will be their to enjoy a TFC game for 90 minutes. Franchises in America sell out a 50 k stadium for 81 home games a year in baseball... Even if soccer Is the 5th most popular sport in America it can sell out a 35 k stadium for 20 home games a year... And Otr I think it could pass hockey.
    Last edited by Defoe; 06-05-2014 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    and that's why I'm a fan, because I have hope. I think the league is going in the right direction... It takes time and eventually the product will be their to enjoy a TFC game for 90 minutes. Franchises in America sell out a 50 k stadium for 81 home games a year in baseball... Even if soccer Is the 5th most popular sport in America it can sell out a 35 k stadium for 20 home games a year... And Otr I think it could pass hockey.
    Lawn bowling could pass hockey in 90% of the USA!!!

But seriously, I agree with your post - the league is going in the right direction, and it takes time...

One thing I am down on the Dapper-Don right now, the 'Soccer Specific Stadiums'. Once upon a time it was basically mandatory new teams have them, now we're getting tarps over seats in NFL stadiums, or even worse, bed sheets hanging from the ceiling to hide an upper deck... That won't help non-fans take the league seriously...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Lawn bowling could pass hockey in 90% of the USA!!!

But seriously, I agree with your post - the league is going in the right direction, and it takes time...

One thing I am down on the Dapper-Don right now, the 'Soccer Specific Stadiums'. Once upon a time it was basically mandatory new teams have them, now we're getting tarps over seats in NFL stadiums, or even worse, bed sheets hanging from the ceiling to hide an upper deck... That won't help non-fans take the league seriously...

Carts...
    WOMEN'S SOFTBALL was on everywhere in san antonio and austin, while NHL playoffs were on AND champions league.

If it ain't home grown they dont care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume the numbers mentioned here are all national. Maybe the relative ratings just in Toronto would look a little better?
    Is it possible to obtain a list of weekly TV ratings from just the Toronto market? It seems there is (or at least was, a couple of years ago) a list of the Top 30 shows of the week for Toronto and other individual cities, so I assume these numbers must be collected.
    http://www.channelcanada.com/canadia...d-2012#Toronto
    Last edited by Heepster; 06-06-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    I assume the numbers mentioned here are all national. Maybe the relative ratings just in Toronto would look a little better?
    Is it possible to obtain a list of weekly TV ratings from just the Toronto market? It seems there is (or at least was, a couple of years ago) a list of the Top 30 shows of the week for Toronto and other individual cities, so I assume these numbers must be collected.
    http://www.channelcanada.com/canadia...d-2012#Toronto
    Thanks for the link. Some interesting numbers (example: CFL not making Toronto TV rating list unlike other markets) from that link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy publishes the sports ratings every week and has some good analysis

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/author/chris-zelkovich/

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ From Chris' blog:

Vancouver vs Philly (TSN) - 116,000
    Toronto vs San Jose (TSN) - 109,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weeks tv ratings for sports seem to show the potential for a huge tv audience for soccer in Canada.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...150659421.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    This weeks tv ratings for sports seem to show the potential for a huge tv audience for soccer in Canada.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...150659421.html
    Insane TV ratings for soccer! TFC can barely get 100,000 to watch their games while World Cup (so far) is averaging about 1.5 million viewers (which doesn't include online viewers).

MLSE better take note!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadians like watching the best in this sport - as does the rest of the world.

IIRC, the ratings for the World Cup are huge in South East Asia - the domestic leagues can't draw flies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A large % of those eyeballs aren't really interested in soccer but are interested in the world cup spectacle, and celebrating their 'heritage'... won't translate into more eyeballs on mls (even if the us does very well at wc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    A large % of those eyeballs aren't really interested in soccer but are interested in the world cup spectacle, and celebrating their 'heritage'... won't translate into more eyeballs on mls (even if the us does very well at wc)
    maybe the case, but lets not forget that most of the games are on during work hours too though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Insane TV ratings for soccer! TFC can barely get 100,000 to watch their games while World Cup (so far) is averaging about 1.5 million viewers (which doesn't include online viewers).

MLSE better take note!
    yes....maybe they should spend some money on players,to get those ratings up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    maybe the case, but lets not forget that most of the games are on during work hours too though
    That's a good point. Although, I work in an office of 500+ and loads of them are watching online (yeah, it's that kind of company lol), but the large % of those don't watch any other soccer, and I think are unlikely to after the wc...

wc transcends soccer and becomes an event that non-soccer fans want to be involved in, we've seen big viewing #'s for wc's before, but it hasn't translated into anything in North America

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge 50% increase in Canadian audience for this World Cup versus last one.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...7.html#more-id

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It helps that Brazil is only an hour ahead of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    It helps that Brazil is only an hour ahead of us.
    But still, how many predicted we will average about 1.5 million viewers per game? It's a sign that soccer is growing and becoming more mainstream in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But still, how many predicted we will average about 1.5 million viewers per game? It's a sign that soccer is growing and becoming more mainstream in Canada.
    Is it? True growth isn't measured in what you draw for the World Cup because it's the biggest event in the sport & will always draw mass audiences. It's when people start taking more of a consistent interest in the game that you can see growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer in Canada has been mainstream for awhile now,however, you would never no it from what you see and hear from the mainstream media and please don't bring up the TV ratings for the MLS as prove that it is not, put the EPL,Champions League, La liga in a prime time slot and watch the kind of numbers you would get, of course it will never happen because of the time zone issues but if the big league games aired in primetime hours the numbers would surprise many, times they have changed this is not the Canada of our grandfathers, soccer has arrived but it arrived as a mainstream sport a few years back.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Soccer in Canada has been mainstream for awhile now,however, you would never no it from what you see and hear from the mainstream media and please don't bring up the TV ratings for the MLS as prove that it is not, put the EPL,Champions League, La liga in a prime time slot and watch the kind of numbers you would get, of course it will never happen because of the time zone issues but if the big league games aired in primetime hours the numbers would surprise many, times they have changed this is not the Canada of our grandfathers, soccer has arrived but it arrived as a mainstream sport a few years back.
    Mainstream is often defined as one of the accepted big 4 sports. Many would need MLS to be the most watched footy in the Country before deeming it mainstream. I would agree so far as it means more than everyone knowing what the sport is to make it mainstream. It would need to be taken serious professionally in a more widespread way.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Man View Post
    Is it? True growth isn't measured in what you draw for the World Cup because it's the biggest event in the sport & will always draw mass audiences. It's when people start taking more of a consistent interest in the game that you can see growth.
    This is unfair. Other sports measure growth by their viewership of their final but it's definitely not the only measure of growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Man View Post
    Yes it is. Just look how much coverage there is for soccer now than last 10 years? We get a lot more coverage and games on TV than ever before.

EDIT: Just look at EPL numbers for consistent good ratings (for morning time TV).
    Last edited by TFC07; 06-25-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Mainstream is often defined as one of the accepted big 4 sports. Many would need MLS to be the most watched footy in the Country before deeming it mainstream. I would agree so far as it means more than everyone knowing what the sport is to make it mainstream. It would need to be taken serious professionally in a more widespread way.
    MLS is low quality soccer league. It's not even "our" (as in Canadian) league to begin so to expect Canadians to accept MLS as their major league isn't going to happen especially outside three markets. The fact EPL and CL gets double the numbers than MLS in Canada despite playing in morning time proves that. Soccer is accepted as mainstream now in this country, but not MLS though.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is low quality soccer league. It's not even "our" (as in Canadian) league to begin so to expect Canadians to accept MLS as their major league isn't going to happen especially outside three markets.
    NHL
    NFL
    MLB
    NBA

Which of these are Canadian? Which of these would be challenged as mainstream?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NHL
    NFL
    MLB
    NBA

Which of these are Canadian? Which of these would be challenged as mainstream?
    In Canada, there's only two "mainstream" leagues: NHL (Used to be a Canadian league) and CFL (Canadian league) that consistently gets good ratings on TV regardless who's playing. Other sport leagues (like MLB and NBA) get crap ratings when Toronto teams aren't playing. So that tells me that those leagues aren't widely accepted in Canada (especially NBA which is more Ontario thing). In fact, Curling gets better ratings than those two leagues on average.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Canada, there's only two "mainstream" leagues: NHL (Used to be a Canadian league) and CFL (Canadian league) that consistently gets good ratings on TV regardless who's playing. Other sport leagues (like MLB and NBA) get crap ratings when Toronto teams aren't playing. So that tells me that those leagues aren't widely accepted in Canada (especially NBA which is more Ontario thing). In fact, Curling gets better ratings than those two leagues on average.
    The comparison can be drawn with MLS/EPL and CFL/NFL but the NHL is a Canadian league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comparison can be drawn with MLS/CFL to NFL/EPL but the NHL is a Canadian league?
    Originally it was more Canadian league, however, NHL is biggest hockey league in the world. So of course NHL will get great TV ratings in Canada.

MLS is American league while CFL is Canadian league. That's difference between those two leagues! CFL gets better ratings than any other sport leagues outside NHL in this country because it's all out Canadian league. I think people underestimate how big of difference Canadian content matter when comes viewership in this country.