Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Given that no one under 30 gets cable any more and Football is, in this country, a hip new thing for younger people for the most part, I'd say it would be a lot more revelatory if we knew how many were watching (both legally and illegally) online.

I haven't had cable in three years now, dude, but I haven't missed a TFC game. Same with the handful of other fans I know out here.

That's doubly true when they run it on TSN2 and Sportsnet World, neither of which come automatically with basic cable -- which, given netflix and downloading, is about all ANYONE I know subscribes to anymore.

Seriously, I have to wonder about the validity of TV numbers these days. Keep in context, too, that with TV quality now spread across dozens of channels, shows that wouldn't have been in the top 60 fifteen years ago are now considered hits.
    Agreed.

Cable TV is slowly dying! There's a reason why companies like Rogers increase their data plan prices (both on wireless and internet) because they see demand for it.

Also, Rogers reason to buying NHL TV rights was to save their channels since sports is one of few things that people still watch on TV (for now). Not only that, but they will introduce their own "Netflix" version soon.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ TL's bosses would realize distributed profits on MLS' (or should I say US National Team's) TV deal with ESPN regardless of what TFC spends.

MLS TV ratings are a small, small part of that deal which calls for over 100 US National Team matches, including big Mexico v USA friendlies, to be televised over the length of the agreement… on ESPN Main.

Agreed on the gate front. But ensco is right. All investments have metrics tied to them and if TV ratings were part of the return promised, that graph isn't trending upwards. Unless you turn it on a 45 degree angle. I've got to assume that Bell and Rogers are you know, slightly interested in whether this content they are paying for has any impact on growth and profit.

As for TL's job security, whether he stays or goes is one question but another is whether TFC's budget gets trimmed for 2015. The latter has a big impact on the name player strategy they have. Budgets get trimmed all the time. Organizations set forecasts and if a decline or flat growth is projected, usually spending doesn't increase. We'd like to think long term but the reality is that we don't have the long term for the most part. Particularly when trends are going opposite to where you want them to be.

Practically speaking, TFC could cut its budget. Would TV ratings go down because there is no Defoe? Would fans not renew? Probably not. They could have the same base at nearly half the cost.

I personally would hope it is trimmed. I think they can have a very solid core without the big name, big risk investments that will ultimately take money out of your pocket to pay for them. Not necessary. Not needed to compete.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Cable TV is slowly dying! There's a reason why companies like Rogers increase their data plan prices (both on wireless and internet) because they see demand for it.
    So, uh, when the NHL set record audiences for TV ratings… it's because cable is dead?

Or the NBA… with a younger demographic than TFC set records… it's because cable is dead?

Seems more of an argument of convenience to say that TFC ratings are crap… therefore cable is dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ TL's bosses would realize distributed profits on MLS' (or should I say US National Team's) TV deal with ESPN regardless of what TFC spends.

MLS TV ratings are a small, small part of that deal which calls for over 100 US National Team matches, including big Mexico v USA friendlies, to be televised over the length of the agreement… on ESPN Main.

Agreed on the gate front. But ensco is right. All investments have metrics tied to them and if TV ratings were part of the return promised, that graph isn't trending upwards. Unless you turn it on a 45 degree angle. I've got to assume that Bell and Rogers are you know, slightly interested in whether this content they are paying for has any impact on growth and profit.
    What was last year's TV ratings? If you know, then please post it and we will compare it to this year. I bet you any money that ratings have increase compare to last year.

Practically speaking, TFC could cut its budget. Would TV ratings go down because there is no Defoe? Would fans not renew? Probably not. They could have the same base at nearly half the cost.
    You're crazy to think people would have "renew" if TFC continue their old ways. They had to make a splash to improve their on-field product and win right now instead of building a core which would of taken years before they start winning games. Not only that, but they needed to create hype to sell their merchandise and get some media spotlight on them.

I personally would hope it is trimmed. I think they can have a very solid core without the big name, big risk investments that will ultimately take money out of your pocket to pay for them. Not necessary. Not needed to compete.
    The way MLS is going, you most likely have to spend money if you want to win the league. NYCFC and other new clubs aren't going to sit back and run their teams like old MLS clubs do. They're going to spend a lot (we're seeing it already) on DP's to win. This is why we're seeing teams like TFC and Seattle going big on their spending this year and last year. Welcome to MLS 3.0.
    Last edited by TFC07; 08-10-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, uh, when the NHL set record audiences for TV ratings… it's because cable is dead?

Or the NBA… with a younger demographic than TFC set records… it's because cable is dead?

Seems more of an argument of convenience to say that TFC ratings are crap… therefore cable is dead.
    Cable is definitely dying if you don't believe me then why not ask Rogers and co themselves why they're jacking up data prices and planning to introduce their own version of Netflix if Cable TV is doing so well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Live TV isn't dying, I think that's what Pookie is getting at.

As for Netflix, its for TV shows and movies which I agree with is dying for the most part on Cable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that no one under 30 gets cable any more and Football is, in this country, a hip new thing for younger people for the most part, I'd say it would be a lot more revelatory if we knew how many were watching (both legally and illegally) online.

I haven't had cable in three years now, dude, but I haven't missed a TFC game. Same with the handful of other fans I know out here.

That's doubly true when they run it on TSN2 and Sportsnet World, neither of which come automatically with basic cable -- which, given netflix and downloading, is about all ANYONE I know subscribes to anymore.

Seriously, I have to wonder about the validity of TV numbers these days. Keep in context, too, that with TV quality now spread across dozens of channels, shows that wouldn't have been in the top 60 fifteen years ago are now considered hits.
    This is really a different issue. TFC and Bell/Rogers only get paid for TV ratings. MLS Live numbers are tiny. Nobody is spending (or investing) to create content that is free.

If TV is going 100% over the top, then ultimately your point could matter. But because of regulatory capture in the country, I don't see that happening for a long time. We have the lowest data caps, and the most expensive high speed internet, in the western world.

If TV is going the way of the music business because of online piracy, that would bolster the case for spending less not more to develop content (ie it would drive the opposite strategy from the current one that MLSE is trying to do with TFC). The big music labels stopped spending money developing content years ago. In the music biz today, 1% of the artists get 75% of the CD sales and music-subscription revenue. T
    Last edited by ensco; 08-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here.

Cable and satellite tv are dead, it's just that the vast majority of people don't know it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sports is the last bastion of cable tv, but sports streaming packages will kill this.

But more to your point, cable tv audiences are still strong, no doubt. But check again in 10 years and I think you'll see the same thing that is happening to telephone land lines today... people aren't buying them anymore because cell phones made them mostly obsolete.

High speed internet has made cable obsolete, people just haven't caught on yet that they can get any show or movie in HD for free through their internet or local tv through an antenna.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle18685129/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Sports is the last bastion of cable tv, but sports streaming packages will kill this.

But more to your point, cable tv audiences are still strong, no doubt. But check again in 10 years and I think you'll see the same thing that is happening to telephone land lines today... people aren't buying them anymore because cell phones made them mostly obsolete.

High speed internet has made cable obsolete, people just haven't caught on yet that they can get any show or movie in HD for free through their internet or local tv through an antenna.

Yes and no. This is how I watch TV, and not everything is available because the cable companies (Bell, Rogers and Shaw) own the rights to all the shows and don't always make them available.

Does MLS live show every TFC game?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But back to ensco's point regarding Internet, Canadians have a very high rate for data plans. We actually did the math on switching and based on the number of sports we watch, the difference was marginal in terms of cost. If cost comes down for either route, that's the way I will go. I'm not going to look at "free" or "pirate" or "grey market" options so that isn't worth my time to debate.

My point though isn't to debate cable vs internet and like you say it's clear that one route may emerge the temporary victor years down the road.

Back to the point of this thread though. Some folks are contending that TFC's audience is younger than other sports so therefore ratings are lower because they don't have cable.

That isn't true on a couple of levels.

1. MLS fans aren't much younger than NHL fans and are older than NBA fans. In Toronto, the bulk of TFC's fan base is over 35 and well off.

2. As for the notion that fewer have cable, that's a theory but that doesn't explain why ratings for other sports, including local ones, are on the rise. Particularly for sports with a younger or similar demographic.

Is it so hard to accept that people just don't follow the MLS? There is no need for excuses. It is what it is. Not that popular. And that's ok.

I mean, I'm vested in TFC. I've got gear. I've spent thousands (not this year though). I've traveled with the team. I've met players. I've met managers. I'm in.

Yet, I've never… I mean never… watched a full MLS playoff game from start to finish. I've watched key moments like the end of an MLS Cup game but I simply don't watch as I don't find the football that attractive… generally speaking.

I'll watch a Norwich vs Sunderland game though, mainly because I believe they are playing in one of the best leagues in the world and I appreciate the talent and tactics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

talk to me in 10 yrs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV ratings and the playoffs.

That's an interesting one. Will TFC get a ratings bump if they make the playoffs?

In October? Up against the NHL and Leafs locally? MLB playoffs? NBA Season start? NFL? CFL Playoffs?

It's not like many of us watch the MLS cup playoffs regularly and we actually follow the league and TFC.

Seems like it would be a difficult feat to get a ratings bump against most of that competition with fans that aren't already engaged.

As you say though, the fun is in going and that's the main thing.
    1. Bet your money on TFC asking not to share a timeslot with the Maple Leafs
    2. Baseball will be over; first play off game would be November in our current position
    3. I suspect we get the Saturday afternoon game - Raptors don't generally play on Saturday (afternoon's)
    4. CFL playoffs is a good one...imagine TFC on TSN2 now for a playoff game...there go the ratings unless NBC is carrying the game post-premier league morning

You better believe we'll get a ratings bump though...guaranteed someone will be interested in a playoff game

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sponsorship, that's not millions. TFC had sponsors, with total sponsorship of probably $5M coming into this year (I'm basing that on Portland's disclosed $3.5M in sponsorships). Incremental amount this year post Defoe/Bradley signing is probably in the hundreds of thousands.
    funny you call the new sponsorships hundreds of thousands...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...oundtable.aspx

so $3M new with $4-5M on kit + $2.7M on stadium + old sponsors + KIA Academy...It is not far fetched to think we are $10M + actually

Agreed. Keep in mind too that they only keep half of ticket revenue.
    do you not keep all suites/club seats?

\
    MLSE makes its money off TFC as follows:

- Management fee paid by the league
    - 50% of local ticket sales and concessions
    - Merchandise
    - Keep the first $1.125M of local TV revenues
    - 100% of revenues from friendlies
    - 50% of revenue from the MLS Championship game
    forgetting SUM...also doesn't address sponsors; I know MLS gets $200k flat fee for kit

I will argue that this documented is a bit dated as it a few of the sources on the numbers aspect come from the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Out of 3 Canadian MLS teams, TFC is most valuable one (worth $121 million USD) and one of the most valuable teams in the league. Revenue wise, TFC had $31 million (operating income of $4.5 million) while Vancouver had $23 million (they didn't make any income).
    Let's not forget, Leiweke said TFC would be the first MLS team to break $50M

Would TFC be in the playoffs or in the playoff picture? Our new owners rather playoff games...if anything, to add content to their media platforms; that is the be-all and end-all for Bell and Rogers...you are grasping at pennies in the whole loop of things...Rogers and Bell are 30B + combined revenue...do you honestly think losing $5M is going to send a shockwave up Bell and Rogers spine?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: $5m

I don't know but I know that they are playing hardball for $10m in corporate welfare to make this whole winter classic stadium thing work and that's a cost that will be sunk into something lasting 20-30 years.

I suspect they care about the $36m committed to Defoe and Bradley over the next 3 seasons. (Plus another $12m to Bradley over 5).

As for performance, I believe TFC can make the playoffs without Defoe in the years ahead. We'll get a chance to see that through August and maybe into September this year. Doesn't make sense to me to have an expensive player on the bench. Just as I cringed when the Leafs used to bring in veterans with injuries (eg Nolan and the return of Clark and Gilmour). It almost never works out.

Draft right and sign right and they can do it. Hell other teams in this league have been doing it with that formula for season after season after season after ... you get the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yes and no. This is how I watch TV, and not everything is available because the cable companies (Bell, Rogers and Shaw) own the rights to all the shows and don't always make them available.

Does MLS live show every TFC game?
    MLS Live shows every MLS game, some are subject to blackouts, but tunnelbear gets around that issue.

As for shows and movies, ALL is available in HD with uTorrent and Piratebay, and even better it's commercial free.

I understand that this is a moral dilemma for some, and I respect that, but it's not for me.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle10717353/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord...d-tv-1.2509801

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/11/cord-cutting-canada/

http://o.canada.com/technology/cord-cutting-canada

This last article has an Ipsos Reid poll that claims a full 25% of the Canadian population doesn't have a cable package.

That has to be affecting TV ratings no?
    Last edited by Alonso; 08-10-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the point of this thread though. Some folks are contending that TFC's audience is younger than other sports so therefore ratings are lower because they don't have cable.

That isn't true on a couple of levels.

After doing some digging I found this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...t-fans/283626/

Which basically proves your point, hardly anyone is watching MLS on tv.

The demographics of the most watchers of MLS are Male/White/35-54 yrs old according to the article above.

This article claims that this demographic (Male/White/35-54 yrs old) are also most likely to be "cord cutters": http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord...d-tv-1.2509801

The study found that Generation X viewers (those aged 34-47) and visible minority viewers were most likely to want to cut the cord.
    I think this "cord cutting" is picking up steam, from what I am reading its in full acceleration.

It might only be 3 years away, when TV, and TV ratings are rendered irrelevant because people are watching in other ways.

It's interesting to note that 18-34 year old demographic is watching mostly NBA, NHL, and MLS.
    Last edited by Alonso; 08-10-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here.

Cable and satellite tv are dead, it's just that the vast majority of people don't know it yet.
    Not sure if it's dead yet but I think it will trend towards that eventually. I'm a mid 20's professional whose friends are all professionals too. With the exception of the few friends of mine that still live with their parents, I don't know a single one that has cable tv or is even planning to get it. Telling my middle aged relatives this comes as a complete shocker. A lot of people aren't even aware of the quality of over the air digital signals. My girlfriend thought I was doing something illegal when I told her I watch HNIC in HD by just using an antenna.

TV numbers are eventually going to go down once you see the older generation that is made of many non-tech savvy who think TV can only be watched through highly priced cable packages by a generation that grew up on being able to find access to the same content without relying on cable whether it's pirated or not.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The demographics of the most watchers of MLS are Male/White/35-54 yrs old according to the article above.

This article claims that this demographic (Male/White/35-54 yrs old) are also most likely to be "cord cutters": http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord...d-tv-1.2509801

Use logic here.

If you are saying that:

- most watchers of MLS are 35-54 (34%)
    - and most "cord cutters" are also in that demographic

… then are the two related?

If so, explain why the NHL tv ratings are on the rise? They have 35% of their fans in the 35-54 cohort. The NBA's numbers are up too and they have 30% of their fans in that bracket.

They aren't related… yet.

Cord cutters may be on the rise but we are still talking about well over hundred(s) of millions of homes in North America with cable/satellite. Cord cutting barely makes a dent in the MLS ratings and doesn't make a negative dent at all in the ratings of sports with similar demographics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use logic here.

If you are saying that:

- most watchers of MLS are 35-54 (34%)
    - and most "cord cutters" are also in that demographic

… then are the two related?

If so, explain why the NHL tv ratings are on the rise? They have 35% of their fans in the 35-54 cohort. The NBA's numbers are up too and they have 30% of their fans in that bracket.

They aren't related… yet.

Cord cutters may be on the rise but we are still talking about well over hundred(s) of millions of homes in North America with cable/satellite. Cord cutting barely makes a dent in the MLS ratings and doesn't make a negative dent at all in the ratings of sports with similar demographics.

18% of US households are cord cutters, Canada is quickly following suit.

TV ratings are irrelevant when you can't account for 18% of the population and what they are watching.

That's all the logic I need.

But I was agreeing with you, maybe you didn't notice.

No one is watching MLS. It's pretty clear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this "cord cutting" is picking up steam, from what I am reading its in full acceleration.

It might only be 3 years away, when TV, and TV ratings are rendered irrelevant because people are watching in other ways.

It's interesting to note that 18-34 year old demographic is watching mostly NBA, NHL, and MLS.
    I'm not sure what the ultimate point of this is, but if it's to suggest TFC ratings aren't disapointing I would have to disagree. The "they're all watching online" theory starts to get a little bit dubious when you consider the growth in the ratings of other soccer content on TV and the ratings for other content with a similar younger demographic.

The reality of it is this: soccer is still something that's only regionally popular in Canada, particularly when it comes to viewership as opposed to participation. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are one thing... from there it starts to get a lot less mainstream. On top of that, if we are talking specifically about MLS, they've still yet to convert lot of dedicated soccer fans their games are worth tuning into.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ what he said.

While on the topic of cord cutting though, I am curious to see from those that have done it... Legally... if there is in fact any savings at all?

I want all my live sporting events. From EPL to TFC, from NHL to MLB to NFL to the odd CFL to golf to NCAA football and basketball to less known things like triathlon and track and field.

To upgrade modems and increase data plans and key into those events my spreadsheet doesn't show any savings at all.

Is there another way... Legally?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ what he said.

While on the topic of cord cutting though, I am curious to see from those that have done it... Legally... if there is in fact any savings at all?

I want all my live sporting events. From EPL to TFC, from NHL to MLB to NFL to the odd CFL to golf to NCAA football and basketball to less known things like triathlon and track and field.

To upgrade modems and increase data plans and key into those events my spreadsheet doesn't show any savings at all.

If you were willing to stream illegally, it would be fairly easy to access any of those events - including CFL and golf. And unless your current internet plan was really low-end, I'd be very surprised that you'd be required to upgrade. Which service provider are you with?

Legally on the other hand, I'd say it'd be very difficult. I'd be more than happy to pay for reliable streams for the English Championship, but it's just not available. The only services I've been able to access legally (paid for) is MLSlive, NASL, and MLB (through my xbox live subscription). All three services combined would amount to less than two months of cable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ what he said.

It really depends who's your internet provider is to answer your question. However, it isn't uncommon to find unlimited data plans out there (I personally have unlimited data with Rogers).

As for live sports, when I am not near a TV to catch a game, I usually watch it online on adthe.net which is free (not sure if legal or not).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ what he said.

If you are going strictly the "Legal" route, it probably pans out at the same costs.

Only benefit in this case is that you are watching mostly commercial free which can be a big bonus for some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Live shows every MLS game, some are subject to blackouts, but tunnelbear gets around that issue.

As for shows and movies, ALL is available in HD with uTorrent and Piratebay, and even better it's commercial free.

I understand that this is a moral dilemma for some, and I respect that, but it's not for me.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...ticle10717353/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord...d-tv-1.2509801

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/11/cord-cutting-canada/

http://o.canada.com/technology/cord-cutting-canada

This last article has an Ipsos Reid poll that claims a full 25% of the Canadian population doesn't have a cable package.

That has to be affecting TV ratings no?
    Yes, and I understand it is not a moral dilemma for some and I respect that. And certainly it affects ratings, but only Canadian ratings so it really has no effect. The Canadian companies buy US shows and simulcast them, that's all they do. The Canadian ratings have no effect at all on what shows get made or cancelled or renewed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post

funny you call the new sponsorships hundreds of thousands...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...oundtable.aspx

so $3M new with $4-5M on kit + $2.7M on stadium + old sponsors + KIA Academy...It is not far fetched to think we are $10M + actually
    There are lots of Leiweke whoppers about this out there.

I know something about the sports sponsorship business, I see who the sponsors are this year vs last (essentially unchanged), and I say Leiweke is making it up.

The only time we have ever seen an actual number disclosedwas for Portland in 2010, as part of their expansion bid package. Maybe someone else has the link. Portland's total sponsorship revenues were around $3M

Teams lie about attendance, about wait lists, about sponsorships. They just do.

The rest of your calculation, cmon, there have been a few thousand Defoe jerseys sold tops. Probably less. Calling that line item $4-5M incremental revenue is a joke.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-10-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if anyone is thinking of getting rid of cable.

go to best buy in the sates, buy an amazon fire TV, look up how to install XBMC (xbmchub) on it and you will never want cable again for anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    if anyone is thinking of getting rid of cable.

go to best buy in the sates, buy an amazon fire TV, look up how to install XBMC (xbmchub) on it and you will never want cable again for anything.

Can this be streamed from a laptop with the Windows app?

EDIT: I'm starting a new thread for this in the Red Patch Boys section (for registered users benefit) if you could kindly answer in there it would be much appreciated.

Link to thread: http://166.78.107.228/showthread.php...79#post1687279
    Last edited by Alonso; 08-11-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can this be streamed from a laptop with the Windows app?

EDIT: I'm starting a new thread for this in the Offtopic section if you could kindly answer in there it would be much appreciated.

Link to off-topic thread: http://166.78.107.228/showthread.php...Cutter-s-Unite!!!
    Registerd users can't access off topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Registerd users can't access off topic.

Oh thanks for the heads up... I'll start in another spot then...