Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post
how much does an mls team get for each tv viewer watching their games? and would colubus split the money with toronto for the last game?
MLS makes deals with national carriers (NBC/ESPN/Univision in the States and TSN/RDS in Canada) and each team makes deals with local carriers. The national TV money gets split equally between all teams, and teams get to keep most of their local deals and pay the rest into a pot for MLS' revenue sharing. I believe LAG have by far the highest local TV deal getting about $5.5 million a year.

The networks make money by selling advertising during games. More people watching means they can charge more for advertising. However, the contracts they sign with MLS are for a fixed amount every year. No matter how many people watch the games, MLS gets the same money from TV deals. But of course, if more people watch MLS games then the networks will be willing to pay more for TV rights once the current deal is up.

The next US national TV deal was recently signed with Fox in place of NBC starting next year. The value of the deal ($90 mil/year) is about 3 times as much as the current deal. TSN/RDS have their national deals ending in 2016. I am unsure when TFC's local deals with TSN/Sportsnet end or what their value is. So I basically didn't answer your question but hopefully this was informative.