Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 TFC TV ratings

Seattle vs. TFC on TSN - 299,000
    (Source: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=447241)

TFC vs. DC on TSN - 352,000 (Highest TV ratings for MLS game on English Canadian network)

RSL vs TFC on TSN2 - 74,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210515088.html)

CLB vs TFC on Sportsnet 360 - 53,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...3.html#more-id)

TFC vs COL on TSN - 101,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...152835170.html)

DAL vs TFC on Sportsnet One - 35,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...230401936.html)

Game Seven: ?

TFC vs NYRB on TSN - 91,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...191146373.html )

Sporting Kansas City vs TFC on TSN - Less than 114,000 (no official # out there besides knowing TFC didn't get more than 114,000 viewers)

(source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...181535982.html )

TFC vs CLB on TSN - 97,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...193344933.html)

TFC vs SJ on TSN - 109,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210645854.html )

RBNY vs. TFC on Sportsnet One - ?
    Last edited by TFC07; 07-02-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far, TV ratings have been great for TFC. Hopefully TFC can keep this up for whole season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Honestly, the 74,000 would be unexpected if this Defoe show was sustainable. Team was 2-0 against one of the league's best.

Even the high ratings games would have an asterisk. The 299,000 for the opener an 352,000 record are just a few thousand more than the previous record.

For all the bloody big deal stuff, if it were true and sustainable you'd expect much higher ratings. And you certainly wouldn't expect a huge dip in Game 3 when the team is undefeated.

Growing interest in the team is great. The players deserve it. Don't think it will ever be the bloody big deal in Toronto that they are telling us it will be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

And you certainly wouldn't expect a huge dip in Game 3 when the team is undefeated.

TSN2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TSN2
    ^^This.

I also wonder if the 9:30Pm kickoff had an effect as well. I'm not sure, but you would have to think that when you have a large demo in their 20's that that a lot of that demo is going to be out for the evening at that time, and not sitting at home watching TFC)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74K is a piddling number, given the setup. You'd have thought a few more casuals than that would have switched over post Leafs.

The self-congratulatory TSN story is total BS. The numbers on CBC were often this high or higher. McCartney can confirm, he used to post this stuff all the time.

The 2007 team did 500K on CBC on a Sat afternoon in May that year against DCU (the first game after the Dichio goal, on Victoria day weekend). I remember writing about that then, that the potential was massive. I have since changed my view.

Leiweke's victory laps in the press feeling awfully premature to me too.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-02-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those numbers are hard to compare because many people don't have cable much anymore.

To mess with your heads a bit...

This guy makes Minecraft videos for YouTube, he makes one a day and gets over 300k views to almost all of them (some have near 2m)

TRAYAURUS TAKES OVER THE WORLD!: http://youtu.be/wBdvEdWx2iU

It's about how media is consumed.
    Last edited by Abou Sky; 04-02-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. 930 Saturday Night on TSN2... pfft it was never going to be a big number.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Exactly. 930 Saturday Night on TSN2... pfft it was never going to be a big number.
    This…most of the casual fans are already getting ready to if not are already out drinking. i had a feeling that the ratings would slip a lot with all the above factored in, the TSN 2 and 930 KO i think was the major hit to the ratings

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cue the excuses. TSN 2 (NASCAR did over 200k on TSN 2 that same weekend) or Saturday night (never mind the huge Leaf audience that simply turned off their TVs as that game finished rather than watching TFC).

Nothing wrong with being a small market team. Accept it.
    Last edited by Pookie; 04-02-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also it was Real Salt Lake. To a casual viewer, that's a team in no man's land with a goofy name.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Didn't think of that one.

RSL vs TFC wouldn't attract our new casual fan base that will fill the 30,000 seat stadium night in and night out but won't watch it on TV.

Got it.

BTW isn't TSN2 on a free preview until May?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL vs TFC wouldn't attract our new casual fan base that will fill the 30,000 seat stadium night in and night out but won't watch it on TV.

Got it.

I know tons of people who do not get TSN2; as for free preview, wouldn't know ... no one advertised that it was to me, so if it was, doubt many would know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it.

Actually, I think you'd find that most soccer fans would rather see it live than watch it on television. (And btw, that was really a joke about Real Salt Lake).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Actually, I think you'd find that most soccer fans would rather see it live than watch it on television. (And btw, that was really a joke about Real Salt Lake).
    This used to be the case - our stadium would be full every game, but viewership for away games was poor.

IMHO, we have a similar situation to the first couple of years. A lot of match going SSH's that are being drawn to the event and not directly to the team. No different than the first couple of seasons, except that the focal point has shifted from the supporters to the DP's.

Personally, I know a couple people that jumped on the SSH bandwagon when Defoe arrived that didn't bother to watch the RSL game - they fit that mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    This used to be the case - our stadium would be full every game, but viewership for away games was poor.

IMHO, we have a similar situation to the first couple of years. A lot of match going SSH's that are being drawn to the event and not directly to the team. No different than the first couple of seasons, except that the focal point has shifted from the supporters to the DP's.

Personally, I know a couple people that jumped on the SSH bandwagon when Defoe arrived that didn't bother to watch the RSL game - they fit that mold.
    Yeah, same with me.

Part of the problem is that MLS is still pretty dire to watch on tv in comparison to other soccer on television. Why watch MLS when you can watch EPL? At least going to the games is a bit of an event itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't compare what the Leafs draw compared to what we do. Completely different situations.

Also, yes - a lot of people do turn off their TV's on a Saturday night after the Leafs play. When I was in my 20's (not that long ago ), heading over to someone's place to watching the Leafs game and have some drinks before going out for the night was common place (most people I knew did that). I wouldn't expect a lot of that crowd to stay in instead and watch a TFC game.

So I do think the two factors affected viewership, and if it had been a CBC/TSN game on Saturday afternoon that numbers would have been higher.

That said, i also think that the numbers for the first two games were inflated and not what I would expect to see on a regular basis.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I know. Double sarcasm doesn't translate well

As for TSN2, free or not. More people would rather watch cars make left turns on it than football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for TSN2, free or not. More people would rather watch cars make left turns on it than football.
    ^ AH, got it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on now, they also prefer to watch frozen shuffleboard as well...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Come on now, they also prefer to watch frozen shuffleboard as well...
    I like watching curling dammit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I like watching curling dammit.
    Me too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not terribly surprised. Game one and game two had massive lead-ins and larger than normal pre-game advertising across the board. Game three they simply didn't follow through and went head-to-head with late season NHL Saturday night games with playoff implications, of course they got crushed.

If, they handle the promotion side properly and consistently, along with a viewing schedule and network choices that make sense, they will make gains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only we could track people watching online, though I guess that isn't a source of revenue. Like we don't pay enough for tv, let alone paying extra to watch our local team on TSN 2 or Sportsnet 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Including the Salt Lake game average TFC viewership on television is almost double the viewership of EPL games.(see below). Its also interesting to note
    " the fact that 1.6 million viewers tuned in for some or all of the game, meaning the hype surrounding the ne'er-do-well club's off-season spending spree has attracted some attention" (D.C. game). Watching a soccer game from Salt Lake City on a Saturday night at 930 on a channel that only subscribers who pay for a top tier cable package could receive was not going to happen for many people. This weekend's game will be a similar scenario as it is on SN360. The next game that is on TSN is the Colorado game at 4pm April 12th. This will be a good measure of the viewership as it is on at a reasonable time and not on a hard to get channel. TSN2 is not on a free preview as far as Rogers is concerned. I think its premature to diminish the gain in viewership of TFC games based upon one game on a small audience channel . The Columbus game will also have a lower viewership for the same reason.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...193028914.html

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210515088.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Including the Salt Lake game average TFC viewership on television is almost double the viewership of EPL games.(see below). Its also interesting to note
    " the fact that 1.6 million viewers tuned in for some or all of the game, meaning the hype surrounding the ne'er-do-well club's off-season spending spree has attracted some attention" (D.C. game). Watching a soccer game from Salt Lake City on a Saturday night at 930 on a channel that only subscribers who pay for a top tier cable package could receive was not going to happen for many people. This weekend's game will be a similar scenario as it is on SN360. The next game that is on TSN is the Colorado game at 4pm April 12th. This will be a good measure of the viewership as it is on at a reasonable time and not on a hard to get channel. TSN2 is not on a free preview as far as Rogers is concerned. I think its premature to diminish the gain in viewership of TFC games based upon one game on a small audience channel . The Columbus game will also have a lower viewership for the same reason.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...193028914.html

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210515088.html
    That's interesting. By memory I could have sworn EPL audiences are usually in the 300s or so. Might be because they are split amongst a bunch of games playing at the same time? With the games the article sites, Chelsea-Arsenal was an 8:45 am game. The Liverpool-Cardiff one was one of three or four broadcast at the same time. I think Man City and Everton games were also on then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    That's interesting. By memory I could have sworn EPL audiences are usually in the 300s or so. Might be because they are split amongst a bunch of games playing at the same time? With the games the article sites, Chelsea-Arsenal was an 8:45 am game. The Liverpool-Cardiff one was one of three or four broadcast at the same time. I think Man City and Everton games were also on then.
    This - plus you have expensive specialty channels thrown in the mix which probably plays a role as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC has the best TV ratings in MLS.

Think of TSN2 (and SN360 and SN1) as the local TV partners and TSN as the national carrier. So far, the games on TSN match or exceed US national TV ratings. The first game of the season SEA-SKC got 330k viewers on NBCSN. In 2013, games on ESPN averaged 220k and ~110k on NBCSN (pathetic, I know). 2012 was MLS' best ever year for ratings, ESPN averaged 311k and NBCSN 125k.

Local TV ratings are much worse. In 2012, Seattle—which I believe has the highest local ratings—averaged 45k and 33k on their two local affiliates. NYRB had 25-30k viewers. 9:30-11:30 pm on a Saturday is a terrible time slot, so a significant drop in viewers for the RSL game was expected. But even if 74k is the average for non-TSN broadcasts, we're still well above league average.

It's embarrassing really how bad ratings are in the States. I'm not at all surprised NBC is dropping coverage next year. In contrast, the ratings in Canada are great. Unlike the US, more people actually watch MLS than EPL. I'm really interested to see how what the ratings will be for Vancouver this year. They have every game on TSN/TSN2 except one on CTV BC the rest of the season. It should do wonders for building an audience.

Sources:
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ar...on-television/
    http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/12/mls...-improve-them/
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...Media/MLS.aspx

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    TFC has the best TV ratings in MLS.

Think of TSN2 (and SN360 and SN1) as the local TV partners and TSN as the national carrier. So far, the games on TSN match or exceed US national TV ratings. The first game of the season SEA-SKC got 330k viewers on NBCSN. In 2013, games on ESPN averaged 220k and ~110k on NBCSN (pathetic, I know). 2012 was MLS' best ever year for ratings, ESPN averaged 311k and NBCSN 125k.

Local TV ratings are much worse. In 2012, Seattle—which I believe has the highest local ratings—averaged 45k and 33k on their two local affiliates. NYRB had 25-30k viewers. 9:30-11:30 pm on a Saturday is a terrible time slot, so a significant drop in viewers for the RSL game was expected. But even if 74k is the average for non-TSN broadcasts, we're still well above league average.

It's embarrassing really how bad ratings are in the States. I'm not at all surprised NBC is dropping coverage next year. In contrast, the ratings in Canada are great. Unlike the US, more people actually watch MLS than EPL. I'm really interested to see how what the ratings will be for Vancouver this year. They have every game on TSN/TSN2 except one on CTV BC the rest of the season. It should do wonders for building an audience.

Sources:
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ar...on-television/
    http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/12/mls...-improve-them/
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...Media/MLS.aspx
    I think NBC would like to keep MLS, it's just Fox outbid by huge amount
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Game one: Seattle vs. TFC on TSN - 299,000

Game two: TFC vs. DC on TSN - 352,000 (Highest TV ratings for MLS game on English Canadian network)

Game three: RSL vs TFC on TSN2 - 74,000
    (Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...210515088.html)

wonder what MLS Live ratings were