Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redisthenewblk View Post
    Ahem, I do believe I said this at the beginning of the week:
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    I think he meant being 3-1 to start the season? Which i would then take credit for
    It was a little bit of both . I will give you credit for being more optimistic than I was, that's for sure. I expected us to be solid and have a good start, but with three tough road games to start the season, I would have been happy to be 1-2-1 or something along those lines. I will freely admit I did not expect wins in Seattle and Columbus. Each of these little steps helps to slowly restore some faith. But it's a long road back.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post

looky looky

HTTP DOWNLOAD

1st half
    2nd half

Time Warner broadcast
    Thanks Rob! that's awesome ;-)

51:10 - 51:36 TFC ROAD WARRIORS!!!!!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Why is this road vs home mentality so prevalent in soccer? Specifically the MLS?

As a fan base we have been conditioned to believe that a draw on the road is a good result. Commentators say that all the time.
    MLS teams on average win only 25% of their away games. It may not make sense to you, and I can't explain why, but that's how it is. 2 away wins out of 3 matches is a tremendous result.

Now it's only very early in the season, but you shouldn't downplay this.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    MLS teams on average win only 25% of their away games. It may not make sense to you, and I can't explain why, but that's how it is. 2 away wins out of 3 matches is a tremendous result.

Now it's only very early in the season, but you shouldn't downplay this.
    Apparently in EPL, away win percentage is around 25-30%

http://www.pinnaclesports.com/online...a-betting.aspx

And with lower leagues

Last edited by Yohan; 04-07-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I doubt atmosphere would be that intimidating for most League 2 games. One thing is, the statistic seems to be consistent.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-07-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an article last year published Sept sometime (beginning I think), and at that point KC were .500 on the road, and were best in the league.

I was curious a little while ago about home field advantage in the MLS so I searched around a bit, and there are a lot pretty convincing articles and blog posts up about home field advantage in the MLS being a major factor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never really understood the big deal about home team advantage, and why it's a factor - but the stats certainly bear out that it is a factor.

Could be the culmination of several smaller things - the travel, discomfort at foreign surroundings both the stadium/hotels, the crowd, the feel of the pitch, and perhaps strategic differences in how teams play versus home games (meaning some of it may be self-perpetuating)

But then again, home advantage also exists in sports where you can't just "play for the draw".

I think it's just one of those influences that is impossible to quantify.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing jetlag + travel fatigue plays a big role in a lot of cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ^ I doubt atmosphere would be that intimidating for most League 2 games. One thing is, the statistic seems to be consistent.
    I think you'd be surprised.

Fratton Park is obviously exceptional, Portsmouth's fans dont belong in league 2, and yes it is intimidating. Still, teams like Plymouth Argyle, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale and Oxford have the kind of supporters you'd want at BMO field. Their stadiums might not hold 20k, more like 10-15 but if you consider that only about 30-40% of BMO is making a noise as opposed to about 90% of those teams crowds then you'll see what I mean. I think the league 2 statistic is a bit skewed by teams like pompeii and Leeds dropping in there from as a result of going into administration though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I'm guessing jetlag + travel fatigue plays a big role in a lot of cases.
    This is the central issue, especially as the fatigue accumulates over a season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It was a little bit of both . I will give you credit for being more optimistic than I was, that's for sure. I expected us to be solid and have a good start, but with three tough road games to start the season, I would have been happy to be 1-2-1 or something along those lines. I will freely admit I did not expect wins in Seattle and Columbus. Each of these little steps helps to slowly restore some faith. But it's a long road back.
    I certainly didn't think we were going to pull out the win in Seattle, but I definitely had faith in the Columbus win. Granted, I haven't had my faith abused as much as you guys. Only started seriously supporting TFC in the middle of the 2013 when our defense was starting show signs of pulling it together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is SBI Team of the Week, and Hagglund picks up SBI MLS Rookie of the Week honours.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redisthenewblk View Post
    I certainly didn't think we were going to pull out the win in Seattle, but I definitely had faith in the Columbus win. Granted, I haven't had my faith abused as much as you guys. Only started seriously supporting TFC in the middle of the 2013 when our defense was starting show signs of pulling it together.
    we're all like a scared puppy abused too often, and still wary of this new delicious doggie treat given
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As for the stats, again, we expect there to be a fewer number of wins on the road. Which is exactly what you would expect to see if teams go into road games thinking a draw is a victory. They play to that philosophy and it becomes self fulfilling.

Good teams win everywhere. 7 of 8 NFL Division Champs in 2013 had a road record of .500 or better.

5 of 6 2013 MLB Division winners had a road record of .500 or better.

Every NHL team currently with a playoff spot (excluding wild cards) has a .500 or better road record (Rangers actually have a better road than home record).

All Division leaders in the NBA have a road record of .500 or better, even the Raptors.

Only in soccer does giving away points on the road equate to a "win" in the eyes of fans and commentators.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I think you'd be surprised.

Fratton Park is obviously exceptional, Portsmouth's fans dont belong in league 2, and yes it is intimidating. Still, teams like Plymouth Argyle, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale and Oxford have the kind of supporters you'd want at BMO field. Their stadiums might not hold 20k, more like 10-15 but if you consider that only about 30-40% of BMO is making a noise as opposed to about 90% of those teams crowds then you'll see what I mean. I think the league 2 statistic is a bit skewed by teams like pompeii and Leeds dropping in there from as a result of going into administration though.
    I see a few Oxford games a season, and yes, their home games have a much more intimidating crowd than I've ever seen in the MLS. BMO was "close" in the first season, maybe second season, especially with all the streamers at corners etc. But Oxford games are always louder, even if its only around 7k people compared to 20k at BMO. You only ever get a few hundred, maybe 1 thousand when 111 joins in, singing at the same time at BMO. BMO has never got used to a few thousand people chanting at the same time, it appears an alien concept to a lot of fans!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    This is the central issue, especially as the fatigue accumulates over a season.
    It's not an issue for good teams in other sports. (See above)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Team of the Week

Orr, Morrow, Bradley all in, and Nelsen gets the nod for coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    It's not an issue for good teams in other sports. (See above)
    Yes - but remember that good teams in other sports are allowed to do things to minimize the effects of long haul travel like charter flights. MLS teams can't do that.

Also - don't most other sports travel and play multpile games away to minimize the effects of travel?

Regardless - you can't compare. Different schedules, different sports, different physical demands. There is obviously something there. This is one case where the stats don't lie.

Also - not every team goes on the road and sets up for a draw - especially in the MLS.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There were at least two low crosses across goal by Columbus that missed everybody. It wasn't the DCU game where they had no real chances in front of the net.
    But a cross in front of net with nobody there and no chance of having someone there is just stupid.

It is nerve racking for TFC fans but isn't a threat and is as good as killing it over the bar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    MLS Team of the Week

Orr, Morrow, Bradley all in, and Nelsen gets the nod for coach.
    More than any other team and Farrell could have been Bloom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 toronto fc players and our coach in the team of the week
    Last edited by koolvid12; 04-07-2014 at 11:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    TFC is SBI Team of the Week, and Hagglund picks up SBI MLS Rookie of the Week honours.
    I'd be interested why other centrebacks went ahead of him in the draft. Looked very good positionally, won everything in the air and he was going stride for stride against Oduro. Not even Morgan could do that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Yes - but remember that good teams in other sports are allowed to do things to minimize the effects of long haul travel like charter flights. MLS teams can't do that.
    Let's put that in perspective. TFC have just 2 more trips to the West Coast this year. 1 to LA and 1 to Vancouver (VCup). Travel is predominantly within their own Conference and time zone.

Also - don't most other sports travel and play multpile games away to minimize the effects of travel?
    Not the NHL, NBA (regular season) and NFL. It's a travel in and out scenario. In fact, in the NHL and NBA they compress about 3 games per week into a regular season that is 7 months in length vs the MLS that is 8 months.

Regardless - you can't compare. Different schedules, different sports, different physical demands. There is obviously something there. This is one case where the stats don't lie.
    Sure I can. Teams talk openly about "road games." Fans talk about being happy with a tie. Commentators remark about a "good road result". The stats reflect a culture of acceptance.

Boys let's go out there and not win. Just do enough to get a point. Hooray.

There is no reason for any team to be intimidated playing in Columbus, DC, NY, New England, Montreal, etc. All direct flights of about an hour in the same time zone. It takes me longer to drive to BMO.

And it makes no sense for a team to have an attitude of mediocrity. 1 road win is equal to 3 road draws. That's why the 2-1 road record to start the year is awesome.

I'll bet though that many would be happy as shit if TFC drew Seattle, RSL and Columbus on the road. That's the culture I am speaking of. Had that happened people would be content with 3 points. Instead we have 6.

Play for the win all the time. Look, I realize this flies in the face of years of conditioning to accept draws on the road. It has no place in the MLS and the first team to realize and change that culture can pick up a lot more potential points. Simply change your expectations and results may follow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pookie, I think you're confusing expectations with realistim. Of course I expect my team to always win, but realistically on paper, Seattle, RSL, and Cbus were stronger than us. Also, say what you will about road games, it is not a mentally, it's statistically proven in every league around the world that road games are won on an average of 25%. If it was a 50/50 thing, you'd have an argument.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'd be interested why other centrebacks went ahead of him in the draft. Looked very good positionally, won everything in the air and he was going stride for stride against Oduro. Not even Morgan could do that.
    I hope that it is because RN is a CB and he saw something that others didn't.
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I hope that it is because RN is a CB and he saw something that others didn't.
    That would conclude we drafted better than everyone else. We don't do that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Pookie, I think you're confusing expectations with realistim. Of course I expect my team to always win, but realistically on paper, Seattle, RSL, and Cbus were stronger than us. Also, say what you will about road games, it is not a mentally, it's statistically proven in every league around the world that road games are won on an average of 25%. If it was a 50/50 thing, you'd have an argument.
    That's not true though.

Eg. Scottish Premier League. 4 of the top 5 teams have away records as good or better than their home records.

Good teams, in any sport have this trend. So why is not winning or losing on the road considered a decent result in MLS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not considered a good results. Winning is the only good result.
    For example, if TFC went to play MTL next week in Montreal, I would 100% expect a win. But when TFC goes to RSL, I don't expect them to win - it would be nice, but the reality is that there are mental advantages to playing at home, aside all facts. It's why soccer still has the away goal advantage in tournaments.

also, I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure Barca and Real, Juve, MCFC and all the greats all have good away records. But those are teams that are a level above the rest in their league, which is why they're first. I would love TFC to be there one day, but the structure of this league will not allow for that to happen.
    Last edited by Ivy; 04-08-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ but the reason their away records might be good is that they are a lot better than their competition, correct?

In MLS, a league with parity and salary budgets, it seems even more ridiculous to not expect home and away results to be similar. Why play for or accept a draw as a good result against teams in a parity driven league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in any event, don't look now but TFC has a white hot winning percentage of .667 on the road, so we are definitely bucking the trend!