Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 4: TFC at Columbus, Sat 5 April 6PM EST

On Sportsnet 360 and MLS Live

Stop Higuain at all cost. But that's easier said than done.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hurry up Sat. Put Salt Lake behind us.

Also:

I'LL BE AT JOE'S FOR THIS ONE.

Gametime at 6pm Sportnet360

p.s.- Parky does Joe get this channel?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone watch the Seattle v Columbus game? It was wide open. I recommend watching if you MLS Live.

Higuain has had a history of toally punishing us so obviously that'll be a concern. But watching the Seattle v Columbus game gave me hope. Columbus was being very reckless constantly pushing numbers forward and leaving their defense very vulnerable. If we are as organized as we were the first two games defensively, we have a good shot at this as long as we contain the "Higuain Factor"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for the Reds to get back on the saddle and just win baby.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a breakdown like last game it takes me awhile to bounce back usually based on past experience in past seasons. I will care about this thread more on Thursday I would say if all things go the same for me. Hell, I couldn't even come onto this site until today. Bitter pill takes time to swallow. Always looking forward to the possible redemption in the next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

------------Cesar------------
    --Bloom---Caldwell*--Henry---Morrow
    -Jackson---Hall**--Bradley------Rey
    -------Gilberto-----Defoe---------

* Agboss, if Caldwell suspended
    ** Osorio, if miraculously not injured

Bench: Bendik, Richter, Bekker, DeRo, Weeds, Issey
    Last edited by Graeme; 04-01-2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Forgot Bendik! and Issey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather lookin good in C-Bus for the weekend. Can't wait to get down there and make it rain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Defoe going to play on Saturday? I haven't read any updates as to the extent of his injury. Regardless of whether he does I hope someone else on this team can produce a goal. It's a bit troubling having all of our eggs in Defoe's basket when it comes to goal production. Along with a tie or a win I think TFC really needs to focus on getting possession up to at least 50%. We can't let the fundamentals start to slip away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    After a breakdown like last game it takes me awhile to bounce back usually based on past experience in past seasons. I will care about this thread more on Thursday I would say if all things go the same for me. Hell, I couldn't even come onto this site until today. Bitter pill takes time to swallow. Always looking forward to the possible redemption in the next game.
    Amen, brother; this is me, to a "T."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the impression that Hagglund is ahead of Agbossoumonde as far as Nelsen is concerned.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would love to see:

Obviously using DeRo in case Defoe can't go.
    I do think Bekker has done enough in both preseason and in Saturday to merit a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that Defoe will be out of this game and Bradley's going to be tired from his Wednesday USMNT game. Since nobody can score besides Defoe, and without Osorio, I'm seeing a 2-0 win for Columbus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 9m #TFC Nelsen says Defoe having a scan today.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 5m
    Nelsen says Osorio very questionable for Saturday. #tfc

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 9m
    Cesar should be fine for Saturday. #tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too would like to see Bekker start over Hall. He showed well in limited time last week. Hall can always come off the bench at any point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley's doing a fair bit of travel in one week. Toronto - Salt Lake - Arizona - Columbus.

At least the Crew are coming back from Seattle themselves.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-t...nathan-osorio/

Defoe is questionable (or more likely out), as is Osorio. It'll be a tough game for us. If we can come out of it with a tie we should be pleased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry is also nursing a Knee problem.. and Caldwell could be suspended.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Gilberto being the probable best striker we have, I would be willing to forget the pivot and go with a 4-1-3-1-1. Put Hall in front of the back 4, have Bradley in the middle, and DeRo behind Gilberto. Won't happen, but doable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has to be Bekker over Hall. Hall is simply not good enough.

Still very worried about how fragile this team is...especially if any of Bradley, Gilberto and Defoe get injured.
    An injured Osorio is a big problem for this team so imagine if any of the 3 new signings were missing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hall was given a shot, I would like to see Bekker given one against Columbus. We already know that Hall gets repeatedly burned by players with vision and skill, so why put him up against Higuain. We don't lose anything by giving Bekker the opportunity. Even with an expected loss I am looking forward to this game to see if they have a bounce back effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with a 4-3-3:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Has to be Bekker over Hall. Hall is simply not good enough.

In a straight DM position, Hall > Bekker and > then how he operates in a pivot.

Bekker is not a DM and couldn't handle Higuain.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-01-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting Bekker would be a disaster. Salt Lake scored two of their goals because Henry body-slammed a player and Morrow deflected a ball into our own net. The third goal I'm not sure about. What would Bekker do to help ??? Maybe tell Henry to be a good boy and tell Morrow not to deflect the ball. Bekker just putters around, doesn't play tough defence and passes the ball backwards most of the time. How can he be of any help ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In a straight DM position, Hall > Bekker and > then how he operates in a pivot.

Bekker is not a DM and couldn't handle Higuain.
    Agree that Hall has to play over Bekker. Bradley has to man mark Higuain.

I think the Columbus CBs can be had btw, if Defoe is fit. Big if. Seattle owned them.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Starting Bekker would be a disaster. Salt Lake scored two of their goals because Henry body-slammed a player and Morrow deflected a ball into our own net. The third goal I'm not sure about. What would Bekker do to help ??? Maybe tell Henry to be a good boy and tell Morrow not to deflect the ball. Bekker just putters around, doesn't play tough defence and passes the ball backwards most of the time. How can he be of any help ?
    You can't blame Bekker for what other people did when he was not playing. The stat you can take from those goals is that Bekker was on the field for none of them but Hall was on the field for all of them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I respectfully disagree. Higuain would expose hall and bekker and Bradley has a midweek friendly (not to mention a crapload of travel)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'd go with a 4-3-3:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounding like Defoe is questionable (based on chatter on twitter).

I wonder if we will see a different formation if he is out? What we really needed against RSL was was three in central midfield - but with 2 DP strikers, that is not something I expect to see often (when they are both available)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys here me out for a second. With people who have more knowledge about Jackson's positions... I read he could play DM? How about something like this... Even tho I do not rate Hall, in a position like this he may have more success over say Bekker.

We know Jackson is defensive minded. Wouldn't be utilizing his speed at this position, and again not sure if Nelson would even consider something like this. But on the road after a game we just had, with Bradley traveling all over the place, maybe a more defensive setup could net us 1 point. Play the counter like we have been doing. Id take it over the flat 4-4-2 we have been using. Rest Defoe. Or go with Defoe starting, Gilberto off the bench. Don't like being locked into having to play 2 DP strikers.

edit- Or move Bradley to DM with Jackson, and put Dero or Bekker at the CAM. Idk just a thought.
    Last edited by pdubs; 04-01-2014 at 02:06 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Hall had a tough game. If Bekker starts he will have a tough game as well but Hall had his chance. I'd rather give Bekker the mins to prove he can contribute as much as Hall which really isn't asking that much.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker is a more comparable player to Osorio in terms of his skillset, so it makes more sense to try him in a midfield pairing with Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Higuain would expose hall and bekker and Bradley has a midweek friendly (not to mention a crapload of travel)
    Higuain is going to expose Hall or Bekker either way because one or the other is going to play. At least it's a 3 man midfield in the middle which removes space for their playmakers.