Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love to cheer against Americans in the Olympics, but I will be hoping the USMNT does well in the World Cup. Re: Ensco's anecdote, so true. Was cheering for the US last World Cup (especially in the England match, haha), bought a huge American flag, etc. The level of abuse some people took for cheering for the US was unbelievable (mind you, cheering for US at an "English" pub wouldn't have won you many friends, so that's somewhat understandable). The Algeria game - I'll remember that one because of the earthquake that just happened moments after the final whistle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been supporting the USMNT team for years. That team is a direct representation of our league, especially with Klinsmann giving so many MLSers a chance at being successful. A few years ago, the MLS contingent was seen as the distinct 'B' team, but now they are really competing for spots in the starting 11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't want the US to succeed at anything including sports. [mod edit] Can you imagine how obnoxious they would be if they make it through the round of 16.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-03-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: edit out insults

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this is way off topic^, Bradley played very well last night, hope he has enough gas to play the same on Saturday against the KKKrew.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ,,,,With respect to Osorio, I really wish we had Laba playing in the Beckerman role and pushing Bradley further forward.
    We might get that next year.

If not, I would hope TB and RN would be out looking for a good DM type. The pivot has its place but not every single game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fucking hate the YANKS in footy, always will they are Canada's enemy.

HOWEVER, I have love Bradley ever since I have start seeing him play for Chievo, great fucking player, could not believe that we got him. I will soften my stance on the USMNT while he is on it, but it is only temporary hate, the yanks, hate every us based team, ect.ect.ect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see US as Canada's enemy at all. Canada has no enemy in football other than themselves.

How lucky are we to have a guy like Bradley on our team. I would hope that our Academy players are watching him constantly and making note of how you play football. I have no problems cheering the US as someone else said.. they represent this league and it would be great if they could move on to the final 16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When comes to soccer, Canada and USA are probably allies who both share same enemy (CONCACAF). Canada and USA soccer work together a lot due to our teams playing in American pro leagues and college system.

Problem with Canada (though it starting to improve) is weak development system which makes it hard for us to produce great soccer players (like Bradley) unless they move to Europe (which we risk losing players to other nations). This is why Canadian pro teams are going to play a big role in development of Canadian soccer players in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I don't see US as Canada's enemy at all. Canada has no enemy in football other than themselves.

How lucky are we to have a guy like Bradley on our team. I would hope that our Academy players are watching him constantly and making note of how you play football. I have no problems cheering the US as someone else said.. they represent this league and it would be great if they could move on to the final 16.
    LOL.

Come to a V's party with a Honduras kit on. If someone hasn't ended your existence within 5 minutes, then I'd be disappointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    LOL.

Come to a V's party with a Honduras kit on. If someone hasn't ended your existence within 5 minutes, then I'd be disappointed.
    You see, I almost mentioned Honduras as our only "enemy" but then I thought back to the last game that was played between the two teams.. HON 8 - 1 CAN

That is all on Canada. Most embarrassing performance I've ever witnessed in any sport. Honduras just capitalized on our own self destruction and lack of ability.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    When comes to soccer, Canada and USA are probably allies who both share same enemy (CONCACAF). Canada and USA soccer work together a lot due to our teams playing in American pro leagues and college system.

This to me is confusing supporting a team and a federation. Just because our (Canada and U.S.) fates are presently tied in club play doesn't mean that every time a rival claims a berth for a tournament in CONCACAF it's another loss to us. The regional federation has strengths and weaknesses but I'm not muddying that with support talk.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are we playing for a participants ribbon then? I may not use the term enemy but rivals can be found in the region.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You can do that without the politics involved, though. If you look hard enough at any countries politics you wouldn't be following any international sport team.

U.S. are our rivals. More in some sport than others. Jealousy isn't the issue but its certainly relevant both ways.

There are reasons to hope the U.S. doesn't do so poorly the American public gives up on the game but that's a difference from supporting them. People have ties to other teams. That's fine. Follow who you wish. I'm just happy you think of Canada at all.

Canada is always top of my support pyramid no doubt.

Sans Canada at the sporting event its Chile/Mexico then the U.S. (well in soccer anyway, otherwise don't care)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Canada (though it starting to improve) is weak development system which makes it hard for us to produce great soccer players (like Bradley) unless they move to Europe (which we risk losing players to other nations). This is why Canadian pro teams are going to play a big role in development of Canadian soccer players in the future.
    This is the way I see it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You see, I almost mentioned Honduras as our only "enemy" but then I thought back to the last game that was played between the two teams.. HON 8 - 1 CAN

That is all on Canada. Most embarrassing performance I've ever witnessed in any sport. Honduras just capitalized on our own self destruction and lack of ability.
    The vitriol we have towards Honduras is much bigger than that one match. Much, much, bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    great game to watch! usa had mucho swagger in the first half.

and bradley, wow. watching beckerman behind bradley in the middle got me thinking of laba too. maybe one day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEqnnklfYs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ lol. Been spending all morning having the Laba through ball to Bradley dream while (partially) awake at work.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The vitriol we have towards Honduras is much bigger than that one match. Much, much, bigger.
    Just checked. Tied for 3rd with Costa Rica behind U.S. and Mexico for most games played against. 18. That helps make a rivalry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men%27s_national_soccer_team_records

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rivalry in the sense that there are two teams trying to win at the same game, sure. However, rivalry implies there is competition between two sides and if we're honest, Canada doesn't provide much of any competition to the decent teams in Concacaf. You can hate on Honduras all you want and think of games against them as a rivalry, but I'd wager that Honduran's see these games as just another chance to increase their point total, before they face some real competition in the US/Mexico/Panama.

Going back to my point, USA is light years ahead of Canada in terms of quality and development. Thanks to the US, and MLS in particular we now have professional soccer being played in Canada. If anything we should see them as allies rather than enemies. Thanks to the US/MLS, Henry and Osorio get to ply their trade here in Canada, and maybe one day they'll be the ones to finally bring Canada out of the Concacaf basement. Maybe then we'll develop a rivalry with some other country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rivalry in the sense that there are two teams trying to win at the same game, sure. However, rivalry implies there is competition between two sides and if we're honest, Canada doesn't provide much of any competition to the decent teams in Concacaf. You can hate on Honduras all you want and think of games against them as a rivalry, but I'd wager that Honduran's see these games as just another chance to increase their point total, before they face some real competition in the US/Mexico/Panama.

Going back to my point, USA is light years ahead of Canada in terms of quality and development. Thanks to the US, and MLS in particular we now have professional soccer being played in Canada. If anything we should see them as allies rather than enemies. Thanks to the US/MLS, Henry and Osorio get to ply their trade here in Canada, and maybe one day they'll be the ones to finally bring Canada out of the Concacaf basement. Maybe then we'll develop a rivalry with some other country.
    Well said.

I think we will see Canada start doing well in the future (we're starting to see some signs of that with youth teams who have been competitive recently). We probably a decade or two away being a legitimate team in CONCACAF, but pieces are there for us to become successful which we couldn't say 10 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said.

I think we will see Canada start doing well in the future (we're starting to see some signs of that with youth teams who have been competitive recently). We probably a decade or two away being a legitimate team in CONCACAF, but pieces are there for us to become successful which we couldn't say 10 years ago.
    I agree with you. In 10 years time we should be able to compete in CONCACAF. Lot's of positives between the 3 main Academies in Canada, continuing development in MLS and other young players in Europe. Even moreso, hopefully this affiliation with USL continues so that we can have a spot for our graduates to continue to develop rather than stall. I'm sure the CSA will find a way to mess that up though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply untrue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes they're our rivals. But it's closed-minded to not realize that a deep WC run would help grow the game in the US, and what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply untrue.
    Which part? I think he was spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was rooting for mexico...was happy Bradley scored though....btw im canadian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply untrue.
    In what sense? Just because teams play each other frequently doesn't mean there is a rivalry. Does Canada have a Rilvarly with Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador or Costa Rica? We play them often too. You're welcome to your opinion but at least back it up with something other than a blanket statement.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I root for the Yanks mostly out of spite. You see, many people throughout the world simply can't handle the Americans being good at something they like. And despite the fact that they have some pretty solid players, a fantastic national team program, and an international record that other countries could only hope for; the Yanks just don't get any respect. I like seeing them win because it makes so many other angry.

schadenfreude

scha·den·freu·de (noun)

1: A feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people. German in origin, from Schaden damage + Freude joy
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In what sense? Just because teams play each other frequently doesn't mean there is a rivalry. Does Canada have a Rilvarly with Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador or Costa Rica? We play them often too. You're welcome to your opinion but at least back it up with something other than a blanket statement.
    I think the problem here is that you've only referenced one Honduras match. If you remember more than one I'm confident you wouldn't need to look so very hard to see rivalry. I'll speak for Voyageur ryan- his bias is based on game experience not on historical analysis.

And what the Hondurans think has changed throughout our facing them in only 2 cycles. That's not opinion but if you want to wait till we're equals with the rest of the region to get that involved we'll let you know.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themodelcitizen View Post
    Yes they're our rivals. But it's closed-minded to not realize that a deep WC run would help grow the game in the US, and what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Yes. A deep run for Canada would be good. Your point?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Will never cheer for the US. Ever. I don't care if the entire team is made up of TFC players....actually if this were the case I would hope even more for them to loose...heck not even make the world cup. I don't my club players being injured.