Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen indicates Orr out until the WC break (says he was just guessing FWIW)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to go a ways to find this thread but it seems to make the most sense to highlight a couple of things.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 48m Nelsen says Jackson could be out 10-14 days. But could be back for KC game.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 57m
    Bloom out 4-6 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Caldwell a month too apparently. That sucks. Guessing Hagglund plays right back, Orr and Henry in the middle.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Defoe's injury is a suspected "sports hernia" according to Sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-...due-to-injury/

Generally speaking, treatment for that injury is about 1-2 weeks of rest, ice/heat followed by 4-6 weeks of physical therapy. Early return risks re-injury.

That is kind of a "hope for the best" scenario and hope that it resolves on its own with minimal invasive procedures. Time really is the main variable there.

If however he needs surgery, it would be at least 6-12 weeks and Orthopaedic journals suggest that it has a success rate of anywhere from 70-90% amongst athletes.

Sounds like Gilberto may have just earned himself a lot of playing time.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-03-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that Defoe's injury is in order to not play in the All-Star game, but I suspect that it is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear this guy is made of glass. He is a fit player for sure but my goodness does he pick up these nagging injuries.

I think a good comparable is Robbie Keane, right now Defoe is missing 55%(1 for yellow accumulation) of our MLS games, and in 2-3 years time I think he is not going to eclipse Robbie in performance, he just isn't built to last like him.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-03-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I swear this guy is made of glass. He is a fit player for sure but my goodness does he pick up these nagging injuries.

I think a good comparable is Robbie Keane, right now Defoe is missing 55%(1 for yellow accumulation) of our MLS games, and in 2-3 years time I think he is not going to eclipse Robbie in performance, he just isn't built to last like him.
    It's more a question of compounding injuries.

If you have hamstring issues, other muscles compensate. Over time, they wear out too.

I took flack for it but to me, this off season is the time to exit from this contract. 3 more years. No budget/cap relief. The risk isn't going to go down with him. If management can understand that we all accept that we don't need big name retirement names to compete, we'll be in a great position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Defoe's problem was that he had a hamstring issue when he came over and he hasn't had an extended period of rest since the EPL season started. 3 months off after this season will do him a lot of good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn. This is much worse than I originally thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Defoe's problem was that he had a hamstring issue when he came over and he hasn't had an extended period of rest since the EPL season started. 3 months off after this season will do him a lot of good.
    Agreed. Same with Bradley who hasn't played up to his potential yet beside first couple of games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouderwien View Post
    I hope that Defoe's injury is in order to not play in the All-Star game, but I suspect that it is not.
    That was my first thought actually. If only we could be right. It wouldn't be the first time a player/team did something like that I am sure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ He's officially out of the All Star game. Replaced by Dom Dwyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he is out 2 to 3 wks..groin strain..could of been worse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Same with Bradley who hasn't played up to his potential yet beside first couple of games.
    Hope Bradley's minutes are limited in the MLS All-star match.

We have too many injuries now.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    he is out 2 to 3 wks..groin strain..could of been worse..
    Different grades of groin strain. Best be optimistic and hope for a Grade 1.

Grade 3 is a bitch and can take you out for months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Ya, could be much much worse. Larson was reporting prior to TFC official statement that it could be 4-6 weeks.

2-3 is a lot better. Hopefully Gilberto can continue to score goals.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Larson said 4-6 based on that "Sports Hernia" that was floating around the press box.

Interesting choice of words on the injury. Groin strains are fairly easy to diagnose. Sports hernias usually are diagnosed when they can't find any other cause. It's not something that shows up on an imaging test.

To do more testing to confirm is interesting. Might suggest this is more complex. Hopefully just cautionary. Assuming of course all the speculation in the press was accurate to begin with and/or the team is disclosing the full situation to them. At least they aren't calling it a lower body injury like the Leafs do.

Either or, if you've had a groin strain it is a tricky one as reoccurrence rates are high.

Like hamstrings these can become chronic.

If Defoe is to last out the remaining 3 years on his contract, some consideration should be given to shutting him down for an extended period of time if his recovery is anything less than 100%.
    Last edited by Pookie; 08-05-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If Defoe is to last out the remaining 3 years on his contract, some consideration should be given to shutting him down for an extended period of time if his recovery is anything less than 100%.
    I'd hate to say it because he is our best shot at playoffs this year but I wonder if that might be the best idea. I guess it depends if he really is here for the entire time of the contract.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IMO - Shut him down until September. This is the second time this season he's gone down with an injury. I'd rather have him healthy for the final stretch of the season and into the playoffs. That's when we need him the most.

Until then we have another DP striker who should be able to pick up the scoring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Totally agree. I think we will see a totally different Defoe and Bradley after they have a proper off season and pre-season with the team. I expect we will see on and off injuries to both players this season just due to the amount of football they have played constantly in over a year without a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Dike is back in training. That is great news but I just hope they aren't rushing him back cuz of Defoe's injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any news on how long they think Dike will take to get to match fitness? I know about them assuming late august when he got hurt. Any update?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He said in the interview that he feels ready to go, just depends on when Ryan selects him. Great news. Have high hopes for the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have more depth at the striker position than ever before. We should be able to produce offensively until Defoe returns to the lineup.