Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 3 : TFC at Real Salt Lake, Sat March 29 9:30PM EST

Toronto FC (2-0-0) at Real Salt Lake (1-0-2)
    Saturday, March 29, 2014
    Rio Tinto Stadium - 9:30 PM EDT - TSN2/MLSLive

Pertinent Information:
    2014 Real Salt Lake Season
    2014 Toronto FC Season

Well, time to see if we can rip the very fabric of spacetime, and have a Toronto FC team go 3-0-0 to start a season. This will also be our first meeting of the season against Joao Plata

Should be an interesting game, and a genuine test for our revamped lineup. RSL are not an easy team to beat, let alone at home. I've also heard that Rio Tinto's pitch is in pretty rough shape right now.

So, let's have at it - what is your probable lineup? Expect any changes from this weekend? Who do you expect to give us problems?
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 03-24-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I t will be a interesting match My concern over there is the altitude We have never had that much success over there other than a win in 2007 . Onn paper we are just as good or better. As far as changes I think we will have the same starters as last game Unless Jackson gets suspended for that elbow look for Issy to take his place. I do want to see us with more ball possession than yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Toronto FC (2-0-0) at Real Salt Lake (1-0-2)
    Saturday, March 22, 2014
    BMO Field - 9:30 PM - TSN

Pertinent Information:
    2014 Real Salt Lake Season
    2014 Toronto FC Season

Well, time to see if we can rip the very fabric of spacetime, and have a Toronto FC team go 3-0-0 to start a season. This will also be our first meeting of the season against Joao Plata

Should be an interesting game, and a genuine test for our revamped lineup. RSL are not an easy team to beat, let alone at home. I've also heard that Rio Tinto's pitch is in pretty rough shape right now.

So, let's have at it - what is your probable lineup? Expect any changes from this weekend? Who do you expect to give us problems?
    A couple of mistakes in your original post: Date and venue are incorrect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    A couple of mistakes in your original post: Date and venue are incorrect.
    Yeah my bad - fixed the errors.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata has started quite well and despite missing a glorious chance last game, I think he's favorite to hurt us this weekend. 2 goals and 2 assists for him so far.

This will probably be our toughest test yet. Away against maybe the most possession-oriented team in the league, I expect similar counter-attacking and high pressure tactics from Nelsen. The defense will have to be on point. The pitch at Rio Tinto was awful yesterday, maybe even worse than BMO's. Hopefully it's up to standard by the weekend.

----------Julio Cesar------------
    Orr---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow
    Rey---Osorio---Bradley---Farran
    ------Gilberto---Defoe----------

I'd like to see what Orr can offer at RB. Also putting Nakajima-Farran in for now because I hope he'll be signed and expect Jackson to be suspended at least a game for his elbow against D.C.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be happy with a point. RSL are a very good team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone heading to Joe's for this one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be happy with a point

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking a point out of Rio Tinto would be great, a victory would be amazing. Let the Reds keep rolling.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A point in this game would be huge and keep the momentum going. I too would like to see Orr get a start. Also, need more service from Rey and Jackson (hopefully Issy can play). In the game yesterday, there were countless moments where Jackson completely killed a counter attack with his heavy first touch and inability to cross. As the season goes on he will need to improve on that. Rey has great dribbling skills but again he keeps his head down far too often. They will need to be better against RSL. Another thing I noticed yesterday was the lack of balls down the middle when Defoe is on his runs. At least 2 or 3 times where a ball ala Osorio to Defoe in Seattle would have sprung Defoe. Instead the ball would go to the wings and they would try to cross it to Defoe in the wind. Low probability given the conditions and Defoe's height. Gilberto on the other hand provided those balls on the ground and Defoe should have had 2 goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joao Plata pulled up injured in his game this weekend. He was subbed off. Might not play,

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Joao Plata pulled up injured in his game this weekend. He was subbed off. Might not play,
    Not that I wish bad things for young Plata, but I would be very ok with it if he needed to rest that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be happy taking a point, thats for sure. I'd like to see Orr start, but would have no complaints if Nelsen wants to keep Bloom there. I expect some form of punishment for Jacksons elbow, so would be nice if Issy has indeed signed for us.

As for Mr Plata, if he needs a game out, then so be it. I wont complain. But I need warning so I can take him out of my fantasy football team in time

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    Anyone heading to Joe's for this one?
    If a crew is making it out I would love to join in, although I would love to hit McQueens as it is crawling distance from home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game day weather, plus 18 C, not bad, saw a photo of the pitch looks bad but better than BMO, we in the west have had a crappy long winter as well, likely the same as Alberta.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This match will be a litmus test to see how far we've actually progressed. RSL are still one of the best in MLS. We'll have to be on top form to come away with 3 points here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope Saborio is suspended for this match...dude plays dirty...2 Galaxy players were injured cause of his dirty plays. We cant afford an injury to any of our players while we tryin to jell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right about that Leeds. After the euphoria of the openers..this will be a test of how much depth and consistency we have. Somebody other than Defoe will have to start scoring goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to mlssoccer.com the game is on TSN2 not TSN. Just a heads up. Also on MLSLive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am about to fly out to Utah tomorrow (for a conference), I'm hanging around for an extra couple of days to catch the game and I may be the only TFC supporter at Rio Tinto! (please correct me if I'm wrong, would love to meet up with anyone that may be there)

Anybody been there before and do you have any tips?

After the first couple of games this year, trying to keep my expectations down... would love if we pulled out a tie, but these guys did make the finals last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ridiculous putting the game on TSN 2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post
    According to mlssoccer.com the game is on TSN2 not TSN. Just a heads up. Also on MLSLive.
    Updated, thanks.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the first time we've ever been two games over .500? I think Preki might have had us there for a nanosecond, not sure.

I think Nelsen might want to rethink tactics for this one. We need more than the counter. We're giving possession away too cheaply. Better teams will punish us for it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Is this the first time we've ever been two games over .500? I think Preki might have had us there for a nanosecond, not sure.

I think Nelsen might want to rethink tactics for this one. We need more than the counter. We're giving possession away too cheaply. Better teams will punish us for it.
    Think I read somewhere yesterday, that this is only the fifth time in club history we've even had a winning streak. Ponder that fact for a moment.

Wouldn't at all be shocked if this is our first time at two games over .500, but Preki and Cummins both had some half-decent runs.

Who was coach the year we failed to make the post-season due to that 4-0 drubbing in NY in the last game of the season? Was that Cummins?

- Scott

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have raised my expectations since the start of the season. I will be happy only with a win. Screw this "I will be happy with a tie" mentality. I left that in Seattle. I was also disappointed that we only got one goal on Saturday. Let's go reds!!! I expect big things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Not sure about number of times we have we have been over .500 for 2 games, but we have had 3 game winning streaks twice - 3 (April 13–26, 2008) and (July 11-18, 2012)

Wiki page on the list of TFC records and stats is quite good for this stuff
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_statistics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was curious about 2 games won back to back as well (the wikikpedia folks color code W/L/D on their table which makes it easy at a glance to see this). Looked at League only.

For 2 game wins (excluding the 3 game periods I mentioned above):

2007 - May 12 & 16th
    2009 - April 22 & 26
    2009 - June 13 & 24
    2010 - May 22 & 29
    2011 - Sept 10 & 17th
    2013 Jul 27 & Aug 4th

More times than I expected, but still pretty poor..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Think I read somewhere yesterday, that this is only the fifth time in club history we've even had a winning streak. Ponder that fact for a moment. Wouldn't at all be shocked if this is our first time at two games over .500, but Preki and Cummins both had some half-decent runs. Who was coach the year we failed to make the post-season due to that 4-0 drubbing in NY in the last game of the season? Was that Cummins? - Scott
    Yep, Cummins would have been in charge for that one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In 2008 under Carver, there were 3 occasions where we were 2 games over .500. Haven't looked at all the seasons though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading the match report for RSL v LA, I'm feeling like we have a chance to win this, but a road draw would keep the momentum going too. Bradley vs Beckerman is going to be quite a battle.