Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to remember when the team was being unveiled that MLSE went to great pains to explain that Toronto FC was a brand name, it wasn't a short version of Toronto Football Club, anyone else remember that? I never quite got it, but whatever.

Referring to the team as "The FCs" is stupid. But "The FC" actually does make sense if you accept that FC is short for Football Club. It sounds weird, and wouldn't be my go to (I 99% of the time go with TFC), but technically "The football club won 1-0" makes slightly more sense than saying "Toronto won 1-0". In either case more description is required (what football club? what Toronto team?), even if it is pretty obviously implied (like the Leafs will ever get a shutout with Reimer in net, or the Jays post a shut out with THAT rotation)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people I hang out with know football, so they never say "FC Won". Its always Toronto FC or TFC. So i didn't even notice it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I seem to remember when the team was being unveiled that MLSE went to great pains to explain that Toronto FC was a brand name, it wasn't a short version of Toronto Football Club, anyone else remember that? I never quite got it, but whatever.

Referring to the team as "The FCs" is stupid. But "The FC" actually does make sense if you accept that FC is short for Football Club. It sounds weird, and wouldn't be my go to (I 99% of the time go with TFC), but technically "The football club won 1-0" makes slightly more sense than saying "Toronto won 1-0". In either case more description is required (what football club? what Toronto team?), even if it is pretty obviously implied (like the Leafs will ever get a shutout with Reimer in net, or the Jays post a shut out with THAT rotation)
    I think the point is that our name isn't actually "Toronto Football Club." It's Toronto FC with the "FC" not actually standing for anything. because, as much as it sucks to think about, we're a franchise not a club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

though it will just confuse people more but explain FC is the same thing as the C H on for the Montreal Canadiens You just say Toronto, TFC, or the Reds (I suppose) just as the Montreal Canadien Hockey Club (Le Club de Hockey Canadien) is refered to as Montreal or the Canadiens or The Habs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes i hear it all the time and i gotta say i find it ridiculous. I have actually heard TSN personalities say it which is really inexcusable given that they work in SPORTS MEDIA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I think the point is that our name isn't actually "Toronto Football Club." It's Toronto FC with the "FC" not actually standing for anything. because, as much as it sucks to think about, we're a franchise not a club.
    Toronto FC does use "Toronto Football Club" often in various ways. It is the full name.

The FCs bothers me too. Very annoying.

While we're at it, I heard a lot of people yelling Hulio on Saturday in reference to Julio Cesar. Can we also have an education on the pronunciation of "j's" in Portuguese?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Toronto FC does use "Toronto Football Club" often in various ways. It is the full name.

While we're at it, I heard a lot of people yelling Hulio on Saturday in reference to Julio Cesar. Can we also have an education on the pronunciation of "j's" in Portuguese?
    You are correct but it is his first month here. People have had 8 years to look out for those EffCees coming!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You are correct but it is his first month here. People have had 8 years to look out for those EffCees coming!
    I know. There is nothing more annoying than that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are right...J is H sound in spanish.....but my Brazilian buddy says Julio with a Z sound first.....could be dialect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've been following the club for 8 years just as religiously as the rest of you and I've never seen us officially called "Toronto Football Club"
    I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Having the "FC" stand for nothing is kind of stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gate7 View Post
    you are right...J is H sound in spanish.....but my Brazilian buddy says Julio with a Z sound first.....could be dialect?
    Not really. Portuguese pronounce J's like J's (imagine that)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loves me some Jewleoh Ceasar.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've been following the club for 8 years just as religiously as the rest of you and I've never seen us officially called "Toronto Football Club"
    I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Having the "FC" stand for nothing is kind of stupid.
    I know they use it on the entrance to the training ground (it says Toronto Football Club on the main wall). Also on the academy logo and the banner of the emails they send to season ticket holders every Friday. It's not out there everywhere but they do use it.

Last edited by Canary10; 03-24-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I never read the emails but I guess I should have payed closer attention to the academy logo.

well fuck me, ya can't always be right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I never read the emails but I guess I should have payed closer attention to the academy logo.

well fuck me, ya can't always be right.

It's one of those things you see a lot but it doesn't register. Wish the media would pay attention. Then we'd be called the "clubbers." That would be awesome. (Perfect name for when we get that magnificent cocktail lounge in the reno'ed stadium).
    Last edited by Canary10; 03-24-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for Julio Cesar...

Right from his very lips his name is pronounced "JOO-LEE-O SAY-ZAR"...

We asked the man himself for confirmation on media day - as some were saying 'Hoo-lio', some were saying 'See-Zar' etc etc...

I personally always assumed it was with an 'H' pronunciation, and was wrong...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."