Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Toronto" vs. "Toronto FC"

I think we need to put forward some kind of united front in referring to our team as "Toronto", instead of "Toronto FC". Already this year, I've heard way too many references to "FC scoring a goal", or "the FCs got on the board early", or what have you. It's driving me crazy, and it sounds ridiculous.

Maybe we should start a campaign of letter-sending to reporters/stations that use our name incorrectly. I think constantly calling the team "Toronto FC" is probably part of the issue - how often do you hear someone call Barca "FC Barcelona"?

Maybe we should get the Leafs renamed to the "HCs", and the Jays to the "BTs"

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure. If someone wants to help start a writing campaign but it will be a long time to educate the common NA sports fan.

I had some random club kid on the way home last night ask me smugly if Toronto played soccer or football.

*I said that's up to you. I can speak either language.

I call it Toronto as often as I call it TFC. If it's someone who's met me they know the only Toronto I'm talking about.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC really need to assemble a press kit or something, explaining that "FC" literally just means "Football Club" - it isn't a team nickname. A part of me dies every time I hear some clueless reporter refer to "the FCs" - apparently never curious enough to ask their editor what an "FC" is.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you 1000%.

however part of the problem is that Toronto has 4 major sports teams, and they all have nicknames. So in the media you will hear "the raptors won by....the leafs earned a shutout...the bluejays got 4 home runs to get the win...and even if they mention Toronto before it is still fine.

But then there's the case of Toronto FC who doesn't have a moniker. The only way I can see this changed if the media adopts "the reds" or they will have to mention in MLS play Toronto won by 1 goal...

At the end of the day what needs to STOP immediately is the referencing of "FC" as the name unless it means "Fired Coaches"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    I agree with you 1000%.

however part of the problem is that Toronto has 4 major sports teams, and they all have nicknames. So in the media you will hear "the raptors won by....the leafs earned a shutout...the bluejays got 4 home runs to get the win...and even if they mention Toronto before it is still fine.

But then there's the case of Toronto FC who doesn't have a moniker. The only way I can see this changed if the media adopts "the reds" or they will have to mention in MLS play Toronto won by 1 goal...

At the end of the day what needs to STOP immediately is the referencing of "FC" as the name unless it means "Fired Coaches"
    Maybe we should try to get "TFC" normalized as the short-hand for the team, with the media.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't see why anyone else gets their knickers in a twist over it, either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    TFC really need to assemble a press kit or something, explaining that "FC" literally just means "Football Club" - it isn't a team nickname. A part of me dies every time I hear some clueless reporter refer to "the FCs" - apparently never curious enough to ask their editor what an "FC" is.

- Scott
    I thought we had gotten over this problem largely after year 1. But I have noticed the "FC" thing creeping in again, even from those who should know better (looking at you, Lee Godfrey).

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that "FC" is horrible. Sports media should know better. But what I also fail to understand is why they feel it is necessary to call them "Toronto FC" when we are watching a broadcast or sports highlights. I mean, we are watching soccer, there is no need to clarify which Toronto team is being talked about. It should simply be "Toronto", unless a sportscaster is introducing a new story on the news and then, yeah, it's fine to distinguish which Toronto team they are talking about. Craig Forest always calls them "Toronto FC", which shocks me because he's a soccer guy. Craig, we know you aren't talking about the Leafs, it's ok to say "Toronto".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen. the amount of times I heard this in the run up to the game from casuals and reporters was ridiculous. I personally would be very glad if people came to know us as "TFC" or "The Reds" as apposed to "the FC". It just sounds amateurish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, the sport is relatively new to many Torontonians, they didn't watch soccer growing up and the team is still young. Forgive their ignorance and eventually one hopes they realize calling a team "Football Club" instead of its actual name is incorrect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought in year 1 there was a press release and everything about "FC" (?)

Maybe no one wants to offend anyone by using Toronto. "FC" is nicer for those that like to shit on Toronto's other teams (you know who you are a-holes) and TFC is like KFC where if you don't say "fried" maybe people will forget it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard anyone refer to us as "FC". Usually TFC. Which is fine. But if it is happening then that's just silly. "Football Club has just scored a goal". Come on. Surely the guys who are sayings this realise the stupidity behind it? Both teams are football clubs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_gamble View Post
    I've never heard anyone refer to us as "FC". Usually TFC. Which is fine. But if it is happening then that's just silly. "Football Club has just scored a goal". Come on. Surely the guys who are sayings this realise the stupidity behind it? Both teams are football clubs.
    It comes down to them not understanding what "FC" actually means. I heard someone on CP24 this morning, call us "The FCs"

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made the comment a billion times I feel like. It's an MLS/North America problem. All the teams are referred to like this and it sounds so utterly stupid.

Just look at the EPL table on the official league site? Zero reference to "FC" anywhere. In the abbreviated table on the home page, as well as under the "team page" selection, all teams are labeled as to how people verbalize them. "Spurs", "West Brom", "Man City", "Norwich", etc.
    Last edited by ryan; 03-23-2014 at 11:11 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_gamble View Post

Give it time, friend. You'll hear it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was listening to Indie 88 earlier today, and on their 30 second news clip they referred to us as "The Toronto FC".

made me cringe just hearing it, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same conversation with Pete about it yesterday morning actually.

I can't stand it and it drives me bonkers.

I don't walk around calling the Maple Leafs the HC or Raptors the BC. It's just as silly and usually make that reference to people who comment to me about the "FC".

To me it's a respect thing as much as a stupid thing.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha! This is a topic that was brought up prior to our first year and caused plenty of commotion then. I don't so much have a problem with random people who aren't fans call it "FC" of "The FC" or whatever. But if someone is going to call themselves a journalist in this city, the least they can do is refer to the club as "TFC" or simply "Toronto" in their writings.

I don't have a problem with a layperson being unfamiliar with the terminology, but there's no excuse for a sports writer or broadcaster.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wish more people in the media would just refer to us as "the Reds" and leave it at that (and to be fair, some do). But then, you run the risk of noobs calling us "The Toronto Reds", lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It comes down to them not understanding what "FC" actually means. I heard someone on CP24 this morning, call us "The FCs"

- Scott
    Oh man. that sucks. I REALLY hope that doesn't stick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard a guy call Toronto FC the "Toronto Red Patch" once.

- Scott

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I heard a guy call Toronto FC the "Toronto Red Patch" once.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enh I could go either way. Though FCs sounds completely dumb, The Toronto FC doesn't bother me as much.

It would be better if there were a second toronto team, in which THE Toronto Football Club takes on an Ohio State feel.

At the end of the day, there is a big difference between Toronto FC and the FCs. AS someone said above, we aren't the only show in Toronto, they have that solo luxury on pretty much any other continent.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 03-23-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just scrolled the bottom, so sorry if it has been mentioned. The issue is normal people view FC as like the team 'nickname'; they say 'The FC' as if they were saying 'The Blue Jays' or 'The Leafs' or 'The Raptors'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    I just scrolled the bottom, so sorry if it has been mentioned. The issue is normal people view FC as like the team 'nickname'; they say 'The FC' as if they were saying 'The Blue Jays' or 'The Leafs' or 'The Raptors'
    maybe if was 'FC Toronto" people would get it………but saying "the FC" sounds dumb and silly enough said…..

calling the leafs HC or 'Hockey Club" would be ridiculous just the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I agree that "FC" is horrible. Sports media should know better. But what I also fail to understand is why they feel it is necessary to call them "Toronto FC" when we are watching a broadcast or sports highlights. I mean, we are watching soccer, there is no need to clarify which Toronto team is being talked about. It should simply be "Toronto", unless a sportscaster is introducing a new story on the news and then, yeah, it's fine to distinguish which Toronto team they are talking about. Craig Forest always calls them "Toronto FC", which shocks me because he's a soccer guy. Craig, we know you aren't talking about the Leafs, it's ok to say "Toronto".
    I have, admittedly, noticed this.. but, to be honest, I think it's splitting hairs. Whilst I do think "Toronto" would suffice, I just can't see this ever getting me too riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I was listening to Indie 88 earlier today, and on their 30 second news clip they referred to us as "The Toronto FC".

made me cringe just hearing it, lol.
    Well.. that, for me, is actually correct, isn't it? The Toronto Football Club won, yesterday.. etc. Not sure what's wrong with that, and I would often intentionally refer to it this way, myself.

That said, I couldn't agree more with the general sentiment of this thread. It's so embarrassing a topic, when we're talking about professional journalists and even the in-house guy (Godfrey) making an anus out of himself, on a regular basis.

I would think "The Reds" would slot in well, for the way in which they like to refer to teams. Else, it shouldn't be that difficult to add the extra "T" to the ridiculous "FC" moniker.

But, yeh.. HUGE pet-peeve of mine, this. Hope to Christ it changes.
    Last edited by JuliquE; 03-23-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto, The Reds, Tfc, Toronto Fc……..i don't believe any other references qualify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i have no problem if they say Toronto FC...but when they only say FC..It really gets on my nerves. hahahaha its a sensitive issue lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to call the team TFC or the Reds. Simple as that.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I hear "The FC's scored" I just think…. "what FC?, Shamrock Rovers FC, Manchester United FC, Toronto FC… what FC are you talking about" i feel ppls pain when we got to hear this its mostly ignorance to football i think.