Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canada Soccer announces move to new timeframe for future Amway Canadian Championships

Big changes ahead! Most notably:

-moving from spring to a summer schedule
    -2014 stays as is
    -2015 V-cup winner has rights to 2016 CCL
    -2015 CCL will be determined by the highest point total in the domestic league between Canadian teams

The 2014 Amway Canadian Championship will be played in its current format and timeframe, starting this 23 April in Ottawa, with the winner earning the rights to represent Canada in the 2014/2015 CONCACAF Champions League. This will be the seventh edition of the national competition that features the country’s five professional clubs.
    The 2015 edition of the Amway Canadian Championship will shift timeframe to be played in July and August, after the completion of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015TM and respecting the CONCACAF Gold Cup dates. The champion of the 2015 Amway Canadian Championship will represent Canada in the 2016/2017 CONCACAF Champions League.
    http://canadasoccer.com/canada-socce...nships-p156082

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this move. It allows for expansion of the tournament and will help alleviate fixture congestion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this mean no team will play in the 15/16 CCL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it means that whichever Canadian team has the highest point total at the end of this year represents Canada in the CCL next year (15/16).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As such, it has been agreed with all participating clubs that the Canadian MLS club ranked highest in the combined league points table at the end of the 2014 regular MLS season would be appointed Canadian representative for the 2015/2016 CONCACAF Champions League.
    On second read, does this mean that it's total points, or total points amongst the Canadian teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    On second read, does this mean that it's total points, or total points amongst the Canadian teams?
    Do we play Montreal and Vancouver equal times this year? Also means that Edmonton is out, and Ottawa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it appears to be the highest MLS point total

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the reasoning but I would be so pissed if I was an Edmonton or Ottawa fan. A little surprised those teams would just allow this to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To move to this schedule it had to be one of three options

- run two tourneys in the same year (spring 2015 for 2015/16 CCL and summer 2015 for 2016/17 CCL)
    - forego a position in the CCL
    - use the schedule they chose

I think ultimately it is a better set-up as it allows the games to be spread throughout the season (more games?), and potentially more rounds in the long-run.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have liked to see a Challenger series for the 2015/16 CCL position to take on the Voyageurs Cup holders from 2014.

For instance, assume TFC wins the 2014 Voyageurs Cup. Then Edmonton plays Vancouver and Ottawa plays Montreal in home and away on the same evenings as TFC is playing in the group stage of the CCL in 2014. Edmonton then plays Ottawa in a home and away series on the final two nights when TFC is playing in the final two games of the CCL group stage. The winner is then the Challenger for TFC to play in a single Championship game, played the first Saturday in May, 2015 at BMO Field.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So I guess Edmonton is no longer in the running for this?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might motivate both Edmonton and Ottawa to try and knock off the MLS teams.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I like this move. It allows for expansion of the tournament and will help alleviate fixture congestion.
    Doesn't it mean more fixture congestion? When it is played now there are no other fixtures to worry about. In August there are CCL matches and mid season friendlies as well as MLS schedules more mid week games during July and August.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Doesn't it mean more fixture congestion? When it is played now there are no other fixtures to worry about. In August there are CCL matches and mid season friendlies as well as MLS schedules more mid week games during July and August.
    I think it allows them more dates to use. Right now they have to have the CCL winner determined by a certain date, now they can spread it over more months. I would assume TFC also had requests to MLS for less early season midweek fixtures because of the current format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a limited window right now that happens to work out, it might not always be the case in the future. Opening up the calender will gives us a lot more flexibility to plan a schedule. Right now, if you make a deep enough run in the CCL you'll be overlapping the preliminary leg of the Vcup. Even if there isn't an actual overlap, you don't want you team playing midweek fixtures for two consecutive tournaments without break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When are the US Open Cup games?? we could play the same weeks that USA teams play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we need to scrap friendlies. I use to like seeing teams come play us, but now it just mucks up our schedule, to many pointless games in the middle of our season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they would do the V-cup as an open cup. Bring in top teams later on but at least add something for everyone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see Ottawa getting a game. Start prepping the place for when the RedInks expire and soccer can take over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I understand the reasoning but I would be so pissed if I was an Edmonton or Ottawa fan. A little surprised those teams would just allow this to happen.
    something tells me it is Ottawa and Edmonton that have asked for the move to summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one time thing for july and august due to hosting the 2015 womens world cup; it'll probably mirror the us open cup going forward (best guess)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm annoyed that Ottawa won't be able to challenge for the 2015/16 CCL. That smacks of condescension from the CSA. I also don't like how they winners will be for the following year. A team can really change in the off-season and might be a shadow of itself when the competition rolls around.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much for Canada having a true FA Cup. We will have to wait and see how this all plays out. I am sure that the Ottawa franchise will be disappointed that they will not have any FA cup competition for the foreseeable future after seeing the interest that this years competition has generated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so what I see with this is they are preping to allow for 6 or more teams in the future, and have a US open style Competition.

Right now Ottawa and Edmonton play a home away.

add one more NASL team and they have to play 4 games to qualify for the semi finals.

That would mean you have to push the semi finals wouldn't start until late June. Or start earlier.

The new system will let the Canadian Championship grow more easily with the sport.

This is a good thing over all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me how Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador all get more berths than Canada? Their leagues are shite!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    Tell me how Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador all get more berths than Canada? Their leagues are shite!
    And Canada doesn't have a league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    that will change....remember we only had 2 pro teams with none in the MLS not too long ago.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not entirely sure I like this news. The CS does concede that we're going to have see some short-term confusion for long-term benefits, but I like things like this to be straight-forward and with as little ambiguity as possible. I guess most importantly, I liked how winning the V-Cup didn't just mean you got to have your club's name put on a trophy - but rather it gave your team a ticket for Champions League as well.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I guess most importantly, I liked how winning the V-Cup didn't just mean you got to have your club's name put on a trophy - but rather it gave your team a ticket for Champions League as well.
    This will continue to be the case. Only difference is the winner qualifies for the next year's CCL. Winning the 2014 V Cup enters you into the 2014 CCL group stage. With this rule change, the winner of the 2015 V Cup qualifies for the 2016 CCL.

The switch creates a gap for the 2015 CCL, and using MLS standings to determine Canada's entry is not ideal but it's worth the change. A summer tournament is much better for NASL teams, and in the future we can incorporate D-3 teams as well.