Thread: Danny K Retires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Danny K Retires

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but Danny Koevermans retired today. Even with all the excitement of the new team and players, it's my view that he was the best ever to wear the TFC red. Even Jermain Defoe will have trouble matching his strike rate. If not for that turf in New England.....well. Wishing Danny the best in retirement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prior to this season, I think Koevs was the best DP we've ever had. Best player? In terms of sheer talent, I'd still probably give that to DeRo.

I also have no question Defoe, and probably Bradley, will best him. Koevs was great, but he was also injured a bunch, and saddled with a far inferior team.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't think of a more effective striker in his time here. I'm glad he got to finish his career off at home, too bad he couldn't get a little more out of it at Utrecht.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class act, that DannyK.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny gave the best interviews of any Red, past or present.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great Red!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really unfortunate how it all turned out with Danny K. What could have been.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very classy guy, talented and happy to call him a friend.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best poacher we've ever had, and a very likeable person off the pitch. I wish him well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was the hottest striker in the league in the summer of 2012 until he tweaked his knee. If that didn't happen, who knows how that season would've turned out.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good luck in your future endeavours Danny. In addition to being maybe the most consistent striker we've had, you also gave one of the most memorable quotes in the first 7 years of TFC:

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...ns-may-19-2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll remember him for the quotes, the goals, and the respect he gave the fans. I remember he was the first one over to applaud the fans that came to see the 3-0 win in Montreal in 2012.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The year of the losing streak, I somehow, without fail, managed to miss seeing any goal we scored at home (which wasn't many). I'd go get a beer, some food, whatever and bam, we'd score. People around me started telling me to stay in the concourse during games it got so bad. So....the day of the game against Philly, I was feeling sick. It got progressively worse as the day went on. I almost decided not to go to the game, but my wife started calling me a baby so I went with her. As the game and the nil-nil draw wore on, I was feeling more and more nauseous. Finally, in the last ten minutes or so I had to make a run to the washroom. As cold sweat dripped down my face, I vomited into the toilet like 3 times. Then, while kneeling on the BMO concrete in the washroom with my head in the toilet, I heard the crowd go absolutely crazy. I was like, fuck we scored and I missed it again. I wiped the puke from around my mouth and ran out and looked out to the pitch. I just caught a glimpse of Koef coming back from being in the middle of the RPB section celebrating after he scored that goal to end the streak. I figured some supernatural force had made me sick to get me out of the stands to allow Danny to score the winner and end that damn 0-9 streak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Good luck in your future endeavours Danny. In addition to being maybe the most consistent striker we've had, you also gave one of the most memorable quotes in the first 7 years of TFC:

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2012/0...ns-may-19-2012

The guy was incapable of feeding the media troll with the usual 'mediaspeak'.

He just said what he actually wanted to say and felt.

LOL he is actually lambasting the reporters for even mentioning that "we played well" after yet another loss.

EDIT: He would be great striker back up right now at TFC (and he did say he would play for peanuts for TFC to give back to the club)
    Last edited by Alonso; 03-22-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he coined the phrase that stuck with us for a very, very long time: worst team in the world.
    it's a shame he couldn't be here with us when the team looks to be in the midst of turning it all around.

best of luck in the future danny!
    ps: i was always partial to alan gordon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see TFC bring him in for a game. Put his highlights on the board, everybody can give him the sendoff he deserves, and wish him well.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    EDIT: He would be great striker back up right now at TFC (and he did say he would play for peanuts for TFC to give back to the club)
    He just couldn't run properly after the injury. It wasn't there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The year of the losing streak, I somehow, without fail, managed to miss seeing any goal we scored at home (which wasn't many). I'd go get a beer, some food, whatever and bam, we'd score. People around me started telling me to stay in the concourse during games it got so bad. So....the day of the game against Philly, I was feeling sick. It got progressively worse as the day went on. I almost decided not to go to the game, but my wife started calling me a baby so I went with her. As the game and the nil-nil draw wore on, I was feeling more and more nauseous. Finally, in the last ten minutes or so I had to make a run to the washroom. As cold sweat dripped down my face, I vomited into the toilet like 3 times. Then, while kneeling on the BMO concrete in the washroom with my head in the toilet, I heard the crowd go absolutely crazy. I was like, fuck we scored and I missed it again. I wiped the puke from around my mouth and ran out and looked out to the pitch. I just caught a glimpse of Koef coming back from being in the middle of the RPB section celebrating after he scored that goal to end the streak. I figured some supernatural force had made me sick to get me out of the stands to allow Danny to score the winner and end that damn 0-9 streak.
    That's incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I would like to see TFC bring him in for a game. Put his highlights on the board, everybody can give him the sendoff he deserves, and wish him well.
    I would love it if they could do this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, Danny is one of my really good friends and we still talk on a weekly basis. He is doing well in Holland and the family is adjusting well to the return. They are coming back to Toronto this summer but he has no interest in returning to BMO. A lot went down with a lot of players last year and many left without a proper send-off. That being said I'll see if he would be interested in a Red Patch drink thing. You never know. I will also forward these messages to him as they will mean a lot. He is devastated that his injuries prevented him from doing what he could have done here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You don't need to answer this, but it was my opinion at the time that the club fought with both Frings and Koevs, trying to get them to accept less than they were entitled to (and possibly accusing them of malingering, ie exaggerrating the injuries)

Not surprised that there might be hard feelings. Even if the regime has turned over almost 100%, Nelsen would still have been part of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If he is returning in the summer we should push the Front Office for this.