Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dempsey suspended for 2 games

Douche face gets what's coming

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ing-mark-bloom

I'm glad it was for more than one game. Personally, I think he should have got three, but I'll take this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good. I was afraid that league will look other way to protect their golden child (Seattle).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pleasantly surprised the league acted accordingly considering it was their poster boy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just happy they gave him two.
    I really wouldn't have put it past MLS to give him "warning as to future conduct" because he's one of the "faces" of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only gave him two so he could play the Timbers I bet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not be suprised if a make up call on Jackson happens in the next few weeks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ball smacker!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Pleasantly surprised the league acted accordingly considering it was their poster boy.
    Well now Bradley is the new poster boy. Argueably more successful than Dempsey was in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being as he has scored twice in 11 MLS games I'm sure Seattle is relieved. Then again he only really starts about 2/3 of the time. has 2 goals from 39 shots.. only 8 of which are actually on target and has one assist.

I think he may be the US JDG

That being said.. I think it may have actually been a silly accident.. but he was such a douche the rest of the game.. good.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-19-2014 at 11:09 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Douche face gets what's coming

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ing-mark-bloom

I'm glad it was for more than one game. Personally, I think he should have got three, but I'll take this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post

I think he may be the US JDG
    A bit harsh, but he's a lot more like JDG than he is like Michael Bradley.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also regarding the match, found some gems when browsing the Seattle subreddit:

Martins is an amazing player, much better than Defoe
    He (Bradley) played decently from a defensive standpoint but he didn't control the game as much as I would have expected.
    He (Bradley) was absolutely no match for Alonso.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also regarding the match, found some gems when browsing the Seattle subreddit:
    Usual homer shite.

Probably same guys saying Dempsey shouldn't get suspended as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

A bit harsh, but he's a lot more like JDG than he is like Michael Bradley.
    Well Dempsey is being played as a AM where JDG was a DM for TFC. But honestly for the money difference it's apt comparison.

The position and money Dempsey is getting he should be getting Dero 2010 numbers not Dero non DP worth numbers from Houston.

Dero
    2010 - 27 games 24 starts 15 goals 3 assists 72 Shots 36 On Goal.
    2008 - 24 games 22 starts 7 goals 2 assists 74 Shots 34 On Goal

Dempsey
    Total - 11 games 7 starts 2 goals 1 assist 39 shots 8 On Goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Imagine that? A soccer player, who is probably one of the better players in the league, getting fouled? Because thats never happened. Ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, that's funny.

Maybe he's getting fouled because he's so obviously a hot head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, that's funny.

Maybe he's getting fouled because he's so obviously a hot head.
    Exactly; he attracts the attention, when people realize they might could get under his skin, being so unprofessional as he is.

For me, it doesn't seem fair that the team to have been offended receives no benefit from the suspension, beyond whatever satisfaction/vindication there is to be had. I mean, he's suspended for two games against eastern conference opponents -- can't say that helps us, at all. Also gross to note that, conveniently enough, he returns in time for the league's favourite match-up, Sea v. Por.

I think that it would be an idea to make it so that, of however many games Dempsey would be suspended for, one of them must be (reserved) for when they play us, again.
    Last edited by JuliquE; 03-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moral of the story? Keep Clint Dempsey away from your genitals.

Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_gamble View Post
    Imagine that? A soccer player, who is probably one of the better players in the league, getting fouled? Because thats never happened. Ever.
    I would say his suspension and the level of fouling are two different issues.

We fouled him more than a half dozen times in the first half alone. It was clearly tactical, effective, and completely missed by the official. As much as he is on the soft side, I can understand the frustration. I don't tune it to watch a bunch of hatchet men take down the opposing teams best player and turn it into a boring match.

Picture Defoe being cleaned out that many times in his first game. We would have all collectively lost our shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

We fouled him more than a half dozen times in the first half alone. It was clearly tactical, effective, and completely missed by the official. As much as he is on the soft side, I can understand the frustration. I don't tune it to watch a bunch of hatchet men take down the opposing teams best player and turn it into a boring match.

Picture Defoe being cleaned out that many times in his first game. We would have all collectively lost our shit.
    Yeah, I agree, we would have lost our shit, but I'm pretty sure Defoe would have just got on with his game. The players were just letting Dempsey know they were there, and probably trying to get under his skin. Clearly it worked. All I was getting at with that comment was that it happens every where. In every league. The best player from the team usually gets put under pressure and draws the most fouls. He just needs to calm down a bit and get on with his game. Be professional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_gamble View Post
    Yeah, I agree, we would have lost our shit, but I'm pretty sure Defoe would have just got on with his game. The players were just letting Dempsey know they were there, and probably trying to get under his skin. Clearly it worked. All I was getting at with that comment was that it happens every where. In every league. The best player from the team usually gets put under pressure and draws the most fouls. He just needs to calm down a bit and get on with his game. Be professional.
    Oh I agree, everybody tries to do it, but an effective official manages the game to strike a balance. You see it in europe all the time. The other team tries to slow it down, but they have to be careful because at a certain point the officials reigns guys in and they now have to defend on yellow cards. That usually opens up the game again and makes it more interesting.

MLS there is simply no balance because the officiating quality is poor. This stuff has been going on since Catucomo Blanco was playing in Chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I agree, everybody tries to do it, but an effective official manages the game to strike a balance. You see it in europe all the time. The other team tries to slow it down, but they have to be careful because at a certain point the officials reigns guys in and they now have to defend on yellow cards. That usually opens up the game again and makes it more interesting.

MLS there is simply no balance because the officiating quality is poor. This stuff has been going on since Catucomo Blanco was playing in Chicago.
    Yeah, again, I agree with you. Just remember, its replacment refs at the moment .

One day the level of officiating will get up to par with Europe. I've seen some exceptionally poor officiating in MLS since I moved here a couple years back. It will get better and better at the league improves. I've no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your general point -- but it does go both ways. Dempsey's "ball whacking" wasn't his only dirty play during the game. In fact, Simon Borg thinks Dempsey's kick to the back of the legs of Alvaro Rey (with no football in site) was more egregious than the ball whacking. It can be seen in this video at the 6:12 mark. Borg thinks Dempsey should have been issued a red card for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Red View Post
    I agree with your general point -- but it does go both ways. Dempsey's "ball whacking" wasn't his only dirty play during the game. In fact, Simon Borg thinks Dempsey's kick to the back of the legs of Alvaro Rey (with no football in site) was more egregious than the ball whacking. It can be seen in this video at the 6:12 mark. Borg thinks Dempsey should have been issued a red card for it.
    Don't disagree at all.

Looking at that video though, you can just see tons of things are going unchecked. For example, they chastise Saborio for trying to strike out at a defender... but ignore he was completely cleaned out from behind with the player coming into him with both forearms placed on the back of Saborio's neck. Does it excuse his conduct? of course not. But lots of things develop in this league because officials fail to root them out at the source.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has MLS officially announced this??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    we got bradley now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Has MLS officially announced this??
    no.

and just be glad that Jackson didn't get a red card for kicking Dempsey either. let's not tempt karma
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said recently, before the start of the World Cup, the USMNT should give the captaincy to Michael Bradley and not Cunt Dempsey-is-a-DoucheBAAAAAAG!!!!!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of respect Dempsey for dealing out his own justice, and not expecting someone else to do it for him (To be clear: I respect Bloom and Jackson more for getting in Dempsey's grill and getting Dempsey out of his game).

Two games feels harsh to me.

We don't understand TFC's interest here, if we're happy about this. We derive nothing from his missing the next two games.

This league has a horrible problem with allowing jokers to goon stars. We have a couple of stars now, and vigilante justice is pretty much the only answer in many MLS games.

This shoe will be on the other foot for us, soon.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-19-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”