Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Ttc subway closure this weekend

Just want to give everybody a heads up that there will be a subway closure this weekend of the home opener. The TTC portion of UNION station will be closed and the Yonge Subway will be running from Finch to Bloor,
    The Spadina/University Subway will be running from Downsview to St. Andrew. The TTC will have shuttle buses running between Bloor and St. Andrew with no service at all to Union.

Here are some alternate routes using to the Bloor/Danforth Subway

511 Streetcar from Bathurst Station right down to Exihibition Loop
    63 Ossington Bus South to Liberty Village
    29 Dufferin Bus South to the Dufferin Gates of the exibition
    504 Streetcar from Dundas West Station which goes south down roncesvalles to King Street then east on King St. (****DO NOT TAKE 505 which turns east on DUNDAS******)

Also 504 Streetcar from St. Andrew Station westbound (*****WILL NEED TRANSFER OR PASS TO BOARD STREETCAR FROM SUBWAY****)

My advice is to stay away from those shuttle buses and come down early.
    There are already a couple of threads asking people to come down early either to help set up or welcome players

CHEERS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note in case people were wondering - the Streetcar from Union is closed until late August at the earliest. Waterfront Toronto taking its time getting everything together. The TTC was hoping for June.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(haven't used this forever) ,of course the subway will be closed it's the start of a new season !............Think it will change with 3 new billion dollar subway stops in 1000 years idiot Ford................LRT in 2yrs ld have been a start.....................I hope I never have to give up my car in this unplanned transit nightmare of a city ....................shameful,...other than that I love my town ...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    (haven't used this forever) ,of course the subway will be closed it's the start of a new season !............Think it will change with 3 new billion dollar subway stops in 1000 years idiot Ford................LRT in 2yrs ld have been a start.....................I hope I never have to give up my car in this unplanned transit nightmare of a city ....................shameful,...other than that I love my town ...
    ya, its Toronto, we plan for years. Get the go ahead to build, get shuvel's in the ground, then stop, argue, make a new plan, then decide maybe we should just scrap this whole idea and build a line somewhere else OR go back to our original plan that we had years ago, infact had we just built the dam thing in the first place it would of been completed already. That's the way Toronto runs!! Some lines not that different then the planned relief line of today were actually drawn up before 1950 when there wasn't any subway in Toronto yet. Shit just doesn't get built.
    Last edited by james; 03-17-2014 at 04:54 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to be down way early anyway for banner set-up, but yeh getting down earlier, the better.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also remember that the Home show is on and Parking will be a terror at best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also keep in mind that the Dufferin Bridge is still closed (and will continue to be for a while). So if you are taking the bus, hop off at Liberty and cross at the Go station instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    Also keep in mind that the Dufferin Bridge is still closed (and will continue to be for a while). So if you are taking the bus, hop off at Liberty and cross at the Go station instead.
    Or you can just come to Joes early and join us in the march!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    ya, its Toronto, we plan for years. Get the go ahead to build, get shuvel's in the ground, then stop, argue, make a new plan, then decide maybe we should just scrap this whole idea and build a line somewhere else OR go back to our original plan that we had years ago, infact had we just built the dam thing in the first place it would of been completed already. That's the way Toronto runs!! Some lines not that different then the planned relief line of today were actually drawn up before 1950 when there wasn't any subway in Toronto yet. Shit just doesn't get built.
    I expect the subway vs. LRT debate to keep going on for another 5 years at least. The leaders of this city (as far as public transit is concerned) have absolutely no vision. Our public transportation system as it currently stands is an embarrassment, compared to most other global "alpha" cities. I'll be lucky if we see a downtown relief line before I'm a senior citizen, the way things are going. But yeah, perhaps all the TTC bellyaching should be left for another thread...it really probably merits its own thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Also remember that the Home show is on and Parking will be a terror at best
    don't forget about the Marlies!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    don't forget about the Marlies!
    Puck drops at 3 pm, so plan accordingly when you are coming down early.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    I think it's cute that you think the same city could get LRT completed on time.

Dude, it's Toronto and transit. It's like water and oil. They don't mix.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 03-17-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I expect the subway vs. LRT debate to keep going on for another 5 years at least. The leaders of this city (as far as public transit is concerned) have absolutely no vision. Our public transportation system as it currently stands is an embarrassment, compared to most other global "alpha" cities. I'll be lucky if we see a downtown relief line before I'm a senior citizen, the way things are going. But yeah, perhaps all the TTC bellyaching should be left for another thread...it really probably merits its own thread!
    Other than Stinz and Ford, the blame has to lay squarely on the spineless Ontario Liberals, NDP, and PC's who won't take a proactive stance on transit, and somehow think they can find ways of funding transit without asking us to pay a little for it. It's pathetic. I was holding out hope when the liberals announced revenue stream, until Wynne gave in to Horwath and her insanely idiotic and misleading populist stance against corporation on the idea that somehow taxing corporations will not hurt us.

I have a special distaste for Ford and Stintz, and I am glad to see no one is buying the BS Stintz is pushing in her platform. I absolutely hate Ford, and the knowing the fact a crack head alcoholic scuppered construction of LRT in this city.

From experience with the closure of the Yonge Subway on the weekends, I found the replacement buses to be crowded and slow, I would avoid if possible.

(Poster already posted options. Sorry!)
    Last edited by Justin10000; 03-18-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ah, the joys of BMOs "convenient" location continue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    ... Our public transportation system as it currently stands is an embarrassment, compared to most other global "alpha" cities. ...

Just to point out that most alpha cities built their higher order transit back before the 60's around the density they already had. Prices to build transit were a lot cheaper then.

Toronto was not an alpha city back in the 50's and 60's.

This is Sheppard and Leslie in 1964.

If you want to know what much of the city and area looked like back when people were building transit, take a drive north and east of the Zoo - farms, golf clubs and that's about it.

We have become an alpha city in the last 50 years. Building transit for a city growing in that time has not happened anywhere without lots of government investment by command economies like China as the city was built. We did not do that.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-18-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

This is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just to point out that most alpha cities built their higher order transit back before the 60's around the density they already had. Prices to build transit were a lot cheaper then.

This is Sheppard and Leslie in 1964.

If you want to know what much of the city and area looked like back when people were building transit, take a drive north and east of the Zoo - farms, golf clubs and that's about it.

We have become an alpha city in the last 50 years. Building transit for a city growing in that time has not happened anywhere without lots of government investment by command economies like China as the city was built. We did not do that.
    True, I also think maybe they thought cars would be the way of the future as everyone started owning cars. They thought they could just handle the traffic with mega highways and wider roads, but the city grew and grew, and now you see even mega highways and big wide roads are meeting there capacity, and the only way is to build transit. yet surprisingly even them noticing they can not just build mega highways and wide roads they seem to still struggle building better transit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ah, the joys of BMOs "convenient" location continue.
    you can say that again