Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are DC looking right now from those that watched them? They were awful last year but have made some solid additions in the off season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I for one am not going to go into this match too overconfident. Yes, we just won a match in pretty impressive fashion at one of the hardest venues in MLS, but DCU are still one of the most improved teams over the offseason, despite laying an egg in round 1. We underestimate them at our peril. But if the lads show the same character they did in Seattle, there's no way we should be leaving BMO without 3 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We underestimate anyone at our peril. We had one good result, but we are still TFC. Our reputation and fortunes will still take time to reverse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Jackson? He made some good defensive plays but attacking wise he always ran into a player or gave it away.
    Wouldn't mind seeing what Farran can do with the start.
    And I am the only one not impressed with Rey, he made some good runs on the wings but just kept the ball for too long on each occasion. Even Dero got pissed with him. If he could just see the pass earlier he be a ok player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    How are DC looking right now from those that watched them? They were awful last year but have made some solid additions in the off season.
    Got beat up 3-0 at home vs Columbus. Turns out a historically bad season is tough to come back from. This really should be 3 points for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    And I am the only one not impressed with Rey, he made some good runs on the wings but just kept the ball for too long on each occasion. Even Dero got pissed with him. If he could just see the pass earlier he be a ok player.
    Nope - I wasn't either. All flash, no end product. Reminded of Denlison all those years ago. All the skill in the world, always dribbled himself into a coroner. Dribbling is a means to an end, not the end itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From just the first game alone I feel that Rey offered more. He made his runs forward and also tracked back to help defend. I agree that he got stuck with the ball for too long but the fact that he could keep the ball at his feet with a lot of pressure around him is impressive. There were a couple of times he could've made a clean pass that would have resulted in a shot on target but I'm hoping as he gets more comfortable with his teammates he'll be able to make those passes next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im hoping the general will have a word with him......we have world class strikers now, use THEM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope - I wasn't either. All flash, no end product. Reminded of Denlison all those years ago. All the skill in the world, always dribbled himself into a coroner. Dribbling is a means to an end, not the end itself.
    Exactly. He can do whatever he wants but it has to lead to something productive. Last game he ignored some good passing options to dribble into the corner (as you said).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rey does hold up the ball a bit much but I think you guys are ignoring that he did generate a couple opportunities, one being a nice shot that took a really nice save from Frei.

Yeah he did miss a couple looks to DeRo during the game, then again I can't count on two hands the number of times I've seen DeRo be the exact same way in that role over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing people seem to be forgetting with the Rey vs Jackson question is Jackson was switched to the other side to help counter the Sounders counter up that side. Rey had a little less defensive work to do.

The chemistry issue was seen with Dero in that he had a good chance to score and Rey passed wide. As the boys get to know each other that won't be an issue.

Gilberto is the X factor. If he can do what he is supposed to do, and basically be a younger Dero he will be dangerous. If he is Pablo Vitti 2.0 then who knows. (I'm thinking Dero in his prime)

We are missing a Third Striker I don't think Dero is that guy, because he can only really give 60 minutes and then you have to put on Weids

DC had their defence torn apart on at least two occasions by Columbus, the question is was it a off game for DC, was it a good game for Columbus.

If DC gives us as much space as they gave Columbus and we play as hard as we did in Seattle it should be good.

It is likely going to snow and be near 0, that will be something that everyone will have to deal with.

Gilberto, Defoe, Jackson, Rey and Ceser will likely not be used to that kinda a play, Dero due to age may not be capable of taking a whole game, DC may be a little more comfortable. Cold and hard play could lead to injuries and mistakes early and late in each half. (though honestly I don't know how different it will be from England, Gilberto handling it is the big concern.

A win would be historic I won't say more due to superstition.

Right now we are 4th in the east, we have a game in hand and even if we didn't have that game in hand we would still be forth. That is kinda neat.

It's a long season.

--------Defoe-----Gilberto--------
    ----Rey-----------------Jackson--
    -----------Bradley Osorio----------
    Morrow---Caldwell---Henry---Bloom

Dero subed on at 45 or 60 for Gilberto. (or vice versa)
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-17-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't take any teams for granted while this squad is still finding it's legs. The intensity must be there in order to earn a result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jermain Defoe@IAmJermainDefoe 10m
    Great result away vs Seattle on Saturday. Huge effort from the boys @torontofc Looking forward to our first home game..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious to see how the pitch is going to look on Saturday with one of the worst winters in history still around. On a side note where the hell is spring!?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoping for better weather than what it seems we'll get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light snow promised on Saturday with 2 plus degrees. Will be cold, but it beats rain. Hopefully the house will be packed!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He needs work. Has speed and potential for creativity but was predictable.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Curious to see how the pitch is going to look on Saturday with one of the worst winters in history still around. On a side note where the hell is spring!?!?!
    Small snippet of the pitch as of March 14 (via @BMOField):

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't take D.C. too lightly just look at the Whitecaps who played amazing in their first game versus the Red Bulls but then went into Chivas and played a man advantage for most of the game and almost lost scoring the tying goal in the final minutes of play. Jackson must start I have seen Issey play and basically he is a poor mans version of Rey and we can't have two guys dribbling into players on the field at the same time. Orr needs to start if healthy we got him to start not sit on the bench if he plays crap then bring on Bloom. DeRo starts up top bring in Gilberto later, yes I realize like Orr we got Gilberto to start but at least Orr got some minutes against Seattle Gilberto did not even make the trip and I just get the feeling DeRo will be so pumped on Saturday on his return as a TFC player and will have a great game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Small snippet of the pitch as of March 14 (via @BMOField):

They have had a heated tarp that sits right above the pitch on for about a week and a half to ensure it wasn't frozen solid.

Its just the east and south stand (washrooms and plumbing) that I am more concerned about at this point.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, i think it's between DeRo and Rey for the RM (if Gilberto starts). Jackson might have had a few slip ups going forward but he was a beast on defense. Really controlled his side of the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not in the least bit worried about this DC fixture. Johnson is still a headcase and he's on a worse team, their midfield is mediocre and their back are all new faces. This should be an easy 3 points and is a required 3 points no matter which way you slice it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only complaint with the finish is that we were still hoofing the ball away when we were under pressure. What I would like to see is for us to try and retain possession and force the other team out of position to try and retrieve the ball, rather than kick it out. However, it was in Seattle, where the conditions don't allow for the nicest of games. I was very very pleased to see the guys working together and being in the right positions to defend.

Henry, you sir did a fantastic job, same with Bloom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC will win this game by at least 2-0. My reasoning being that Columbus beat DCU 3-0. Columbus beat TFC 3-1 in pre-season. I figure Defoe is good for at least one goal beyond the goal we got playing Columbus. Both TFC and DCU have to integrate a lot of new players into their starting lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really want to see Gilberto get minutes and score this game. It'll shut up all the doubters thinking we are a 2-player team.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agree here, a few comments.

* Gilberto is the x-factor we have not seen yet. If he is a capable goal scorer, it will go a long way to alleviating our reliance on Jermain
    * We were under the gun in Seattle, and for sure those numbers need to improve, but I need to see numbers from more games to make any further inferences. That is a bloody tough away game at the best of times, lets see what those numbers are the norm away or simply the result of the game itself.
    * Purely observational, and I was not able to watch the game too closely yet, but it seemed to me that when we were up against it we looked to hold shape better and be in better control. In past regimes, we looked pinned back in a shooting gallery and looked hopelessly disorganized. Saturday we were pinned back, but looked like a solid defensive performance while doing so. I'm happy to be corrected thought from those that paid more attention tactically.
    Agreed on Gilberto. Ryan Johnson was about as good as it got for secondary scoring threats. This is a key area. Someone who can convert chances as historically, TFC doesn't out chance its opponents often.

All the tactical talk about this formation or that one is all about generating more chances than the other guys. The game is really that simple.

I tend to think TFC have suffered in that regard as they don't have as solid a top to bottom roster as most other MLS sides.

As a result, they get out possessed. Out shot, etc. If they don't "out convert" their opponents they lose.

That's why this secondary scoring thing is so key this year. Defoe has to convert as he is paid to do but he needs help.

I'd like to think that 4 months from now all these categories have improved but I don't think there is much tactically that can be done. It will take a longer term build, through homegrown players and the draft to bring the domestic core to the point where it exceeds the skills of other clubs.

Until then, it will have to rely on converting opportunities and limiting opponent's opportunities.

On the last point, it is interesting. Did TFC's backline influence poor shot selection or did Seattle simply have a "bad game" when it came to converting their opportunities ? I tend to think the backline had a big impact on Seattle's conversion rate. Seattle supporters may say otherwise. If it was the backline it would be a very positive development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to predict a TFC victory but it will not be easy I still want to see some improvement in Ball possession And I know we will see some.
    Just wondering will the Kick off be changed in case it is really chilly to noon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Agreed on Gilberto. Ryan Johnson was about as good as it got for secondary scoring threats. This is a key area. Someone who can convert chances as historically, TFC doesn't out chance its opponents often.

All the tactical talk about this formation or that one is all about generating more chances than the other guys. The game is really that simple.

I tend to think TFC have suffered in that regard as they don't have as solid a top to bottom roster as most other MLS sides.

As a result, they get out possessed. Out shot, etc. If they don't "out convert" their opponents they lose.

That's why this secondary scoring thing is so key this year. Defoe has to convert as he is paid to do but he needs help.

I'd like to think that 4 months from now all these categories have improved but I don't think there is much tactically that can be done. It will take a longer term build, through homegrown players and the draft to bring the domestic core to the point where it exceeds the skills of other clubs.

Until then, it will have to rely on converting opportunities and limiting opponent's opportunities.

On the last point, it is interesting. Did TFC's backline influence poor shot selection or did Seattle simply have a "bad game" when it came to converting their opportunities ? I tend to think the backline had a big impact on Seattle's conversion rate. Seattle supporters may say otherwise. If it was the backline it would be a very positive development.
    Backline + Bradleys influence I think. Have a look at this - it's Bradley's key defensive contributions. He owned the center of the park in our end.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/m...wzMSwzMiwzNg==

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And since I am already there - this is Henry:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/m...wzMSwzMiwzNg==

And Caldwell:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/m...I5LDMxLDMyLDM2

I supposes this should be in the Seattle post match thread, not here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 19Barrett19 View Post
    Starting 11.....
    Cesar
    Orr
    Caldwell
    Henry
    Morrow
    Jackson
    Bradley
    Osorio
    Rey
    Gilberto
    Defoe

Subs:
    DeRo
    Nakajima-Ferran
    Bekker
    Agbosamunde
    Morgan
    Bendik
    I agree with others and think Gilberto will come in as a sub to take off DeRo. As for the bench, I'm not sure Boss will be there - my money's on Hagglund instead. Also have a feeling that Orr may not bump out Bloom who played pretty well on Saturday.