Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 2: DC United at TFC, Sat March 22 4:30PM EST-HOME OPENER

HOME OPENER: D.C. United at Toronto FC
    Saturday, March 22, 2014
    BMO Field - 4:30 PM - TSN

After the Reds amazing 2-1 victory in Seattle on the strength of two Defoe goals. TFC will be looking to continue with their winning ways when they take on DCU, who will be looking to get back on track after 3-0 season opening loss to Columbus. It will be a packed BMO Field, it can not come soon enough.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 03-16-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way. Too. Excited.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone dosnt want there ticket or wants to donate one to me I'll be your bestest friend ever??, lmao yea right but in all seriousness it would be amazing to be there atmosphere through the roof good match I'm predicting already excited to see the 22nd to roll around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting 11.....
    Cesar
    Orr
    Caldwell
    Henry
    Morrow
    Jackson
    Bradley
    Osorio
    Rey
    Gilberto
    Defoe

Subs:
    DeRo
    Nakajima-Ferran
    Bekker
    Agbosamunde
    Morgan
    Bendik

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we see the same starting 11 as Seattle with Gilberto coming in as a sub (if he is fit).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Issey in for Jackson.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Gilberto will start. He will see some action though no doubt. I'd also like to see Issey in for Jackson, but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if its the same line up. Maybe Orr for Bloom?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what to expect, to be honest, as DCU has had two weeks to recover, not travelled like we have, and will be under no pressure what so ever. You have to beat teams at home if you want to make the playoffs. I don't care if its 1-0 or 2-1 or 7-0. If we are going to be a playoff team, we have to win games like this.

Tactically, if they play a 4-1-3-2 like they did last time, we should be OK with the usual 4-4-2 pivot. Bradley vs. Silva is a mismatch. DCU has a lot of potential in that strike force up front, if not a lot of energy.

If Gilberto is available, I suspect he will come off the bench for DeRo like Weideman did today.

I think Bloom plays, because Nelsen has this thing about people keeping a position until they prove to be not good enough.

The place should be rocking but don't be surprised if DCU bunkers from the beginning and we get caught on a counter to open the scoring.

Personally, I'm hoping we win here and then have issues with RSL away, just to keep the fans from overhyping this team. We are a decent team but a lot of hype in this town can build up pressure on a sports team real quick.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-16-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC has the potential to be a very strong team. Good players - but like us, lack the chemistry.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC should be 3 pts. But it's MLS, so you never know. But TFC needs all the points now before Defoe/Bradley/Cesar goes off to WC, esp with RSL away coming up after. (who admittly, looks frail defensive, though against direct football SJ played)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

---------Julio Cesar-----------
    Orr---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow
    Rey--Osorio--Bradley----Jackson
    ------Defoe---De Rosario-------

This should be 3 points. Our home opener and D.C. looks weak so far.

I'm guessing Gilberto won't be 100% by this weekend so I'm saying he makes the bench for now. If the game is going well I'd rather he doesn't play honestly. Farran should get good minutes off the bench. I have Orr in the lineup but wouldn't mind seeing Bloom again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Jackson? He made some good defensive plays but attacking wise he always ran into a player or gave it away.
    Wouldn't mind seeing what Farran can do with the start.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Jackson? He made some good defensive plays but attacking wise he always ran into a player or gave it away.
    he's very... grabby. he fouls a lot and has poor decision making. he's like more angrier version of Reggie Lambe. I know he is better, but so far, he's not shown the quality he has.

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shutting down Eddie Johnson will be key for the Reds, he has a knack for finding the back of the net once he gets going. He had two solid seasons for Seattle and was hot for the USMNT.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to have been the only one impressed with Jackson. He had a lot of the ball as he was very good at getting open, he showed dynamism, he played his defensive role well and is probably our fastest player, something that's gonna be key on the road as Nelsen likes to sit very deep. true, he had a poor first touch, got into it a little bit too much with the seattle players and was kind of all over the place when he ran with the ball but I'd sill put him up there with the better wingers in the league. I personally like players who don't mind throwing there body around, it adds a dimension to this team.

I also think y'all are seriously overestimating Issey. Having him and Rey on the field at the same time will add creativity but leave our fullbacks very exposed as neither are very inclined to do there defensive duty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure why everyone has Orr starting over Bloom. I was actually very impressed with Bloom's performance. he was solid, and this is coming from someone who was very skeptical of parts of hsi first season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just hoping we have a nice day, the weather is not too crazy, any sort of snow holds off and we can enjoy the game. I will not be reading too much into weather reports until at least 72 hours out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until TFC lose or draw, Bloom keeps his spot.

I'm looking for more confidence on the ball now that we're home. Obviously we played like a road team in Seattle catching them on the counter which is fine.

I hope we're not brought back down to earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was what we needed. What he offered defensively is being way under-sold here. Yedlin was reduced to doing very little and so was Pappa. These are good players and their anonymity is down to good defensive work by Bradley, Osorio, and Jackson.

Attack wise it didn't work, but let's face it: outside of the goals and one or two good spells in the first half, very little came off when TFC had the ball.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The time in the headline is incorrect. The game will be at 4:30 EDT, not EST.

EST is Eastern Standard Time, and is -5 hours offset from UTC (or Greenwich Meant Time).

EDT is Eastern Daylight Time, and is -4 hours offset from UTC.

North America changes from standard time to daylight savings time in March and back again in November.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Would have missed the game without this correction. You should correct your correction. It is Greenwich Mean Time not Meant Time.

Edit--Also not all of North America uses DST. Saskatchewan and parts of B.C. do not as well as parts of the U.S. and Mexico.
    Last edited by Lumpy; 03-17-2014 at 06:08 AM. Reason: More Info

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    I am not sure why everyone has Orr starting over Bloom. I was actually very impressed with Bloom's performance. he was solid, and this is coming from someone who was very skeptical of parts of hsi first season.
    We aquired Orr to start. Bloom is a developing quantity that has been shown capable in a position that had a spotlight on it since Ecks left. Bloom will get chances but at this point it's Orr's spot to lose.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Got to improve the stats to remove the déjà vu aspect to our game.

Speaking of the 2012 Mariner campaign where Koevermans converted what few chances we had scoring 6 in 5 games to help start a short lived turn around before ending his season with injury.

Difference in that Seattle game was they shot 13, 2 hit target, 1 went in. We shot 8, 4 hit target, 2 went in. TFC was dominated in all other aspects of the game (possession, passes, passing accuracy, tackles, duels won, etc).

That has to change for this feeling of optimism to be sustainable in the event of a Defoe injury. Great opportunity against DC to improve in all categories.
    Last edited by Pookie; 03-17-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a big pre lash planned before the game saturday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats with the hate for Jackson after one game? Did he not keep Yedlin in check for the majority of the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Whats with the hate for Jackson after one game? Did he not keep Yedlin in check for the majority of the game?
    ^^+1

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    ^^
    Would have missed the game without this correction. You should correct your correction. It is Greenwich Mean Time not Meant Time.

Edit--Also not all of North America uses DST. Saskatchewan and parts of B.C. do not as well as parts of the U.S. and Mexico.
    Or don't add it all if you don't want to. People should know where we are basing the time from.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I seem to have been the only one impressed with Jackson. He had a lot of the ball as he was very good at getting open, he showed dynamism, he played his defensive role well and is probably our fastest player, something that's gonna be key on the road as Nelsen likes to sit very deep. true, he had a poor first touch, got into it a little bit too much with the seattle players and was kind of all over the place when he ran with the ball but I'd sill put him up there with the better wingers in the league. I personally like players who don't mind throwing there body around, it adds a dimension to this team.

I also think y'all are seriously overestimating Issey. Having him and Rey on the field at the same time will add creativity but leave our fullbacks very exposed as neither are very inclined to do there defensive duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    This is not hate. It's not even close.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it's orange ball time this Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Got to improve the stats to remove the déjà vu aspect to our game.

Speaking of the 2012 Mariner campaign where Koevermans converted what few chances we had scoring 6 in 5 games to help start a short lived turn around before ending his season with injury.

Difference in that Seattle game was they shot 13, 2 hit target, 1 went in. We shot 8, 4 hit target, 2 went in. TFC was dominated in all other aspects of the game (possession, passes, passing accuracy, tackles, duels won, etc).

That has to change for this feeling of optimism to be sustainable in the event of a Defoe injury. Great opportunity against DC to improve in all categories.
    Agree here, a few comments.

* Gilberto is the x-factor we have not seen yet. If he is a capable goal scorer, it will go a long way to alleviating our reliance on Jermain
    * We were under the gun in Seattle, and for sure those numbers need to improve, but I need to see numbers from more games to make any further inferences. That is a bloody tough away game at the best of times, lets see what those numbers are the norm away or simply the result of the game itself.
    * Purely observational, and I was not able to watch the game too closely yet, but it seemed to me that when we were up against it we looked to hold shape better and be in better control. In past regimes, we looked pinned back in a shooting gallery and looked hopelessly disorganized. Saturday we were pinned back, but looked like a solid defensive performance while doing so. I'm happy to be corrected thought from those that paid more attention tactically.