Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time ever back-to-back wins to start the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing a game on a regular surface, haha.

We might have lit them up if it was a regular day and the ball wasn't bouncing all over the place on our strikers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    So... the ref added an extra minute to the original three extra minutes? And this is the guy who did the MLS Cup last year?

Man alive.

- Scott
    Yeah lets bring in some pro refs already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    So... the ref added an extra minute to the original three extra minutes? And this is the guy who did the MLS Cup last year?

Man alive.

- Scott
    We did have a fan run onto the pitch during extra time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I canna believe it a win without bunkering for 20 minutes, such a thing is possible?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We we're solid defensively all around today. D.C. never looked like scoring and again Jackson basically shut down his side of the field. Alvaro needs to keep it more simple though, he's always trying to do something fancy when he gets the ball. TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-0 to start the season. Can't ask for more than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so fun watching Bradley, Gilberto, and Defoe up front wow great skill... Alvaro Rey looks like long a term piece, his playmaking abilities are top notch. Missed a golden chance though. Caldwell looked great, Cesar great, Henry was good. Osorio was ok. Jackson not very good. Pretty much half our team is on another level then the other half, huge disparity in talent... Our big guys will carry us however and with time the support players will only get better as the season progresses as they build chemistry... Also FUCK that field lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Searching flights into Columbus for two weeks from now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game. I caught the first half on radio and the second half on tv, so much of my impressions are from the 2nd half. Okay here we go:

-Jackson is great at applying pressure on defenders and winning the ball. Unfortunately once he as the ball, he doesn't know what to do with it
    -DeRo seems to be a step behind mentally, seemed to hold the ball too long after turn overs and allow DC to get back into position. He also doesn't run too much
    -Gilberto looks like he could be a threat
    -Caldwell owned Johnson on multiple occasions
    -Morrow made a few chance preventing tackles, great pick up
    -Back line looked strong over all too
    -The Bradley - Osorio partnership is growing stronger

Too bad we only came away with 1 and resorted to hoofball for the last 20 minutes. When the team gels, I hope to see less of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U fans at the game where amazing... applause!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just leaving the stadium That was great we might actually have turned the corner. But that money folks are throwing, they happen to be chinese funeral money. We burn it for folks that have passed. Hopefully that doesn't jinx us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't micro analyze too much from the game today. It was sloppy as shit out there and that threw plenty of people off their game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked like the condition of the pitch made it impossible to play good football. Not a classic - but job was done.

Osario might have been MOTM- was really impressed. Bradley was brilliant..he really is the leader on the park.

Defoe got the key goal. gilberto looked like a good addition.

Ceasar... And the centrebacks looked solid.

i thought the weak spots were Rey and Jackson. Jackson's crossing was woefull. I don't think Rey tried a pass. They both gave up the ball way too often. Hopefully the wing play will improve. The conditions for them out there were tough.

2-0 to start the season.. Fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was impressed by Alvaro Rey...seems like the ball is glued to his foot, especiallygiven the pitch condition he still managed to get around 2 defenders at times and get fouls...Jackson not so much...he is a bit wild.
    Gilberto and Defoe up top is deadly. Bradley is solid.
    Last edited by tfctillidie; 03-22-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fullbacks deserve some kudos too.

Morrow was very tidy at the back. Some timely tackles, made good forward runs, very solid game. Good signing.

Bloom gives the kind of performance an MLS team needs from a $40k player. Nothing spectacular, but gets the job done when called upon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post

Bloom gives the kind of performance an MLS team needs from a $40k player. Nothing spectacular, but gets the job done when called upon.
    Especially for a guy who had to endure getting sacked by a multi-millionaire ball smacker in dempsey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackson will likely get suspended for that elbow. Thankfully we've got Issey by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry was Man of the Match. Super solid back there today. Clearances, tackles, great marking, and didn't give away any needless set pieces when D.C. was able to control the ball deep in our half.

Promising debut from Gilberto. He looked quite good out there today. Proved he can play the hold up role, but he's got skills as well (the run and lay off to Defoe early in the first half was fantastic and deserved a goal). And besides taking down Bradley's great ball and getting a good shot off, it was his extra effort by sliding in for the rebound that made it difficult for Boswell to clear properly, resulting in Defoe's goal.

I'll be shocked if Jackson isn't suspended at least a game for that elbow. Hopefully we sign Farran by the next match.

Biggest takeaway from this game for me is that Nelsen got it right. The pitch was garbage so we rarely slowed down the play when we had the ball. All our chances came off the counter, and D.C. was completely shut down trying to fashion build-up play. He also clearly told the defense that it was to be no nonsense for the whole game. We booted it up the field almost every time the ball was at the back, which was the right thing to do IMO because playing out of the back on that grass was too risky. In that regard the decision to start Gilberto was an excellent one. De Rosario wouldn't have been able to collect the ball nearly as much as Gilberto did. We were content to pressure D.C. as they tried to fashion build-up and it led to enough chances that we could have won by 2 or 3 with better finishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good result on a bad pitch But after this winter I am surprised the pitch is still green. We created some good scoring chances in the first half but Credit to DC's keeper he was good. Our backs played well and I don't think DC had a really good chance to score at all during the game even our fullbacks were solid. The midfield was solid also and of course Defoe cAME THROUGH FOR US, and lets not forget about Gilberto was decent. Still a wok in progress but now lets concentrate on Salt Lake next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe had a couple of decent chances... Dero had one excellent chance but he waited too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the entire game will be replayed on GOL TV (chan. 428 rogers) at 8:00 PM this evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didnt they used to have like a dome inflated over BMO field??...i dont think i seen it at all this winter..the pitch was horrible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    so fun watching Bradley, Gilberto, and Defoe up front wow great skill... Alvaro Rey looks like long a term piece, his playmaking abilities are top notch. Missed a golden chance though. Caldwell looked great, Cesar great, Henry was good. Osorio was ok. Jackson not very good. Pretty much half our team is on another level then the other half, huge disparity in talent... Our big guys will carry us however and with time the support players will only get better as the season progresses as they build chemistry... Also FUCK that field lol.

Pretty much half our team is on another level then the other half, huge disparity in talent...

the salary cap does not allow you to have 11 superstars on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfctillidie View Post
    didnt they used to have like a dome inflated over BMO field??...i dont think i seen it at all this winter..the pitch was horrible
    The dome was moved to Lamport wasnt it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfctillidie View Post
    They put the dome over the artificial turf back in the day when the city had access to BMO... before we got the natural grass... then the dome went to Lamport.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Froze my balls off today. A little disappointed it was only one, Hamid made some great saves and the conditions were less than ideal. Holy hell was that pitch awful. Hopefully it'll be better in three weeks for the next home game. Henry was a beast in the back, Gilberto looked good, and Bradley was everywhere as usual. Most importantly, THREE POINTS!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy for the 3 points. The boys had some challenges with controlling their shots on net.

DC looked better than I thought they would. But it's hard not to dislike Espindola.

I was really impressed with our back four. In fact, we look good all over. Not fantastic. But good.

The pitch was brutal today. I hope that it's better by April 12th.
    Last edited by DOMIN8R; 03-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pitch was a result of our home opener being scheduled too early. It should be fine for the next home game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports