Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    blew a tire on a breakaway (TBF he was gassed plus turf) and 2 attempts right into Hamid. *shrug* maybe my expectation got too high after his performance in Seattle, but I expected Defoe to be a little more clinical than putting 1 chance away out of 7

I'm only going off the stats on the TFC website, so don't crucify me if wrong

Last year, Earnshaw had 69 shots, 22 on net and 8 goals. He was our most prolific forward - hit the target on 31% of chances, scored on 11.5% of his attempts, and converted 36% of his actual shots on net to goals.

This year, and it's only two games, but it's what we have - Defoe has 9 shots, 5 on net, with 3 goals. His same stat split was 55%/33%/60%.

By comparison, lasts years golden boot candidates - Camillo 45/18/40, DiVaio 45/17/38, Magee 48/28/60

I think Defoe's stats are quite good thus far, much better than what we had last year, and leave some room to come down a bit and still be one of the top scorers int he league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is a good conversion rate supposed to be? And how can you reconcile that with a player who is taking initiative to put attempts on goal compared to someone who is simply sitting around doing nothing or performing in a manner that is ineffective but doesn't result in a shot on target?

I wouldn't get too caught up on this. Goals per game is a better indicator IMO, especially if the player consistently puts them in and doesn't suffer extended dry spells.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blew a tire on a breakaway (TBF he was gassed plus turf) and 2 attempts right into Hamid. *shrug* maybe my expectation got too high after his performance in Seattle, but I expected Defoe to be a little more clinical than putting 1 chance away out of 7
    The DC game is not indicative of his ability to finish. The quality of the pitch was beyond awful and he still managed to score the winner.

Defoe has played as advertised in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Here's a solution.

How about they play the anthem and everyone show some f*cking respect?
    Respect? Why? Why should everyone bow down to the root of all problems in the world? As long as foreign anthems are being played at BMO there should be no complaints about crowd reactions. These topics are emotional and shouldn't be mixed with football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakht View Post
    Respect? Why? Why should everyone bow down to the root of all problems in the world? As long as foreign anthems are being played at BMO there should be no complaints about crowd reactions. These topics are emotional and shouldn't be mixed with football.
    What...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's stick to the topic before this gets out of hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakht View Post
    I would argue that there is another Big Factor and it starts with a capitol R. I actually get upset if I miss hearing and singing the anthems.

However I really do think the field conditions did play a roll in the score only being 1-0, TFC should have been up 2-0 in the first half

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The DC game is not indicative of his ability to finish. The quality of the pitch was beyond awful and he still managed to score the winner.

Defoe has played as advertised in my opinion.
    I agree.

Even so, I think he missed 2-3 chances solid chances, and on another day he would have buried at least one of them (and possibly more). Nothing to write home about there. it happens all the time.

Also - I don't think Defoe is fit enough for the full 90 yet. Seemed like he ran out of a gas a bit near the end of the game (when he skyed that chance). Same thing happened near the end of the Seattle game when he was one on one with Yedlin (i think) and sort of just coughed it up. Also no surprise here as he has not been playing much football.

Personally I think is doing better than advertised so far. 3 goals in two games is solid. Plus watching him at BMO - the defenders didn't have a bloody clue how to pick him up. His off the ball movement is so smart and well timed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure about the breakaway one, I do not recall the play, or I saw it differently. But yes too shots "into" Hamid, but it looked to me, that he either did not put it quite were he wanted it or he was more rushed. Even the fact that he puts most of his chances of target is a great attribute for me. I am loving what I am seeing from him, and because he plays the way he plays he will get 5+ chances a game and as long as he puts one in, I will be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Defoe's attitude and explanation on the missed chances.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am not sure about the breakaway one, I do not recall the play, or I saw it differently. But yes too shots "into" Hamid, but it looked to me, that he either did not put it quite were he wanted it or he was more rushed. Even the fact that he puts most of his chances of target is a great attribute for me. I am loving what I am seeing from him, and because he plays the way he plays he will get 5+ chances a game and as long as he puts one in, I will be happy.
    don't get me wrong; the fact that he actually gets into those good chances and half chances position like no other TFC striker has done since Koevermans is awesome. and on another day and on a better pitch, he'll put in more of those than misses. it's going to be awesome watching Defoe make a mincemeat out of MLS defenders.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post

Love Defoe's attitude and explanation on the missed chances.
    At the moment i'm not really bothered with who our 'future' captain will be but he would be my pick. Bradley would be alot of people's picks but i like a vocal captain. He not only leads by example on the field but does even more off of it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-it-wasnt-issu

The game was TFC's first of the season at home, and the Toronto faithful showed up at BMO Field in numbers, with more than 22,500 people in attendance. That support, which had waned in the last few years, left an impression on Bradley and his side."The first thing we talked about afterwards was the atmosphere and the way the crowd pushed us on," Bradley said. "We expected a great crowd but really, from the second they started singing the national anthem right until the final whistle blew, it was like nothing we'd ever seen."
    Last edited by Yohan; 03-26-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^I loved that too, makes it feel like the past few years have been worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I registered, but the site wont send me a confirmation email... its been 2 hours, and I've requested it to be resent.
    hey ivy, i just came across some info on the http://usasoccerarchives.com/ help forum ... apparently @hotmail/@live email is not supported somehow. they recently moved to a new site and have a few bugs it seems. so, if you were using hotmail or live, try a diff email addr.