Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 20:45 if Rey gave it to Dero in the middle instead of going wide, Dero would have bagged it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristian Jack's analysis.
    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/Kristian_Jack/?id=446500

Interesting bit on Dero and the first goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    For anyone wanting an AM: don't hold your breath, we haven't used one in the past and it would appear have no desire to have one in the future. We play two box-to-box players who flexibility attack or defend.
    Not to mention that we've invested in two DP strikers. They're not going to drop one to the bench for a #10, and Nelsen isn't going to play with two strikers and a 10. If he was, we wouldn't have traded (given) away Silva.

Plus there's really no need for an AM. Bradley and Osorio are both more than capable of playing higher up the pitch if we wanted to play with an AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not hard. That's how the scoring works elsewhere, it's about what Gazzetto dello Sport gives Juve on a good day.
    So what is a 9-10?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    So what is a 9-10?
    When you come on as a sub and do this in the last 15 minutes of the 90.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJlBsw_QcM
    Last edited by ensco; 03-16-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is a 9-10?
    Dero in the Miracle in Montreal.

Or Messi in 9 out of the 10 matches he plays in

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you come on as a sub and do this in the last 15 minutes of the 90.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eJlBsw_QcM
    Haha, that third goal always makes me smile. Dribble past the keeper, than fires it in from a bonkers angle.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Look at Julio making his TFC debut vs. the Sounders.
    For all the possession that Seattle had in this game, Cesar did not have to make a save until the 57th minute. That says something pretty amazing about how well we contained the Sounders ability to attack our goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is a 9-10?
    It depends a lot upon the subjectivity of the person doing the grading, but the general idea was something like:

1- An amateur among pros, ludicrous
    2- Terrible performance, the worst guy on the pitch
    3 - Made several key mistakes that led to goals, cost team points
    4 - Generally poor
    5- Par-to-subpar
    6 - Par with occasional bright spots
    7 - A good all around performance
    8 - Man of the match candidate
    9 - a dominant performance, totally carried the game
    10 - A legendary performance to be remembered for years

The practical application of this is that a lot of players score 5,6 and 7.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not hard. That's how the scoring works elsewhere, it's about what Gazzetto dello Sport gives Juve on a good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It depends a lot upon the subjectivity of the person doing the grading, but the general idea was something like:

1- An amateur among pros, ludicrous
    2- Terrible performance, the worst guy on the pitch
    3 - Made several key mistakes that led to goals, cost team points
    4 - Generally poor
    5- Par-to-subpar
    6 - Par with occasional bright spots
    7 - A good all around performance
    8 - Man of the match candidate
    9 - a dominant performance, totally carried the game
    10 - A legendary performance to be remembered for years

The practical application of this is that a lot of players score 5,6 and 7.
    Which is why I have no need for that system. I don't mind rating but one so unappreciative is living outside the present. You (everyone) are welcome to it but you won't find many people appreciating every game that way.

Perspective and comparison is good. So is enjoying where you are.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    At 20:45 if Rey gave it to Dero in the middle instead of going wide, Dero would have bagged it.
    He looked at him and then went wide....i think every TFC supporter was like wtf?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Team of the Week Honours:

How nice is it to see two players on this list, plus our manager as the manager of the week and also have a bench player listed.

Here's hoping for more of this, this season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...filled-weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the stats, TFC absorbed a lot of pressure. Way more than I thought they could.

http://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchcen...ronto-fc/stats

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/0...J7UlOz_0ucJTb6

Video of the TFC goals from all over the stadium, including some neat shots of the TFC supporters in the stands.

My biggest question watching that is are the Emerald City people right behind the goal so uninvolved in what is happening on the pitch that they would keep waving their scarves after an opposing team goal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Ikr lol.....maybe it's a cheering robot section?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Video of the TFC goals from all over the stadium, including some neat shots of the TFC supporters in the stands.

My biggest question watching that is are the Emerald City people right behind the goal so uninvolved in what is happening on the pitch that they would keep waving their scarves after an opposing team goal?
    I noticed this as well on several occasions. I could swear that even after the goal is scored u still hear chants in the background as if it is fed through a recording.
    Not sure but I believe it was Hassli wonder goal (barf) from a few years back u see the crowd still cheering away even after his goal like they are drugged up like freaking Starbucks zombies.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering the same thing Saturday night when I re-watched the highlights.
    I couldn't understand why fans where still singing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting how Cesar's distribution skills are forcing the back line to play more 'technically'.. it encourages them to be more dynamic in their positions. He's literally passing the ball to Henry as if he was Dede. Risky, but I like it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Probably an Arsenal fan.
    not bloody likely...we love TFC............northern derby done like dinner............Spurs all the way........sounded like to me
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Support mentality. It differs from one to the next. One person views it as celebrating the other team while the next views it as supporting their team through difficulty.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know where to fine a nice hi-res photo of the starting XI from the Seattle game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN says 1.5 million tuned in to the game on Saturday with an average of 300k viewers. It also says it was 3rd most watched MLS game ever on TSN. To put things in perspective MLS cup averaged 500k viewers on American television, not bad considering US has 10x as many people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    TSN says 1.5 million tuned in to the game on Saturday with an average of 300k viewers. It also says it was 3rd most watched MLS game ever on TSN. To put things in perspective MLS cup averaged 500k viewers on American television, not bad considering US has 10x as many people.
    Wow, that's impressive for TFC/MLS standards. Hopefully TV ratings bump up in summer time when Leafs and Raptors aren't playing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this on BigSoccer

I think Nelsen played the game well tactically. He knew TFC was likely going to concede possession percentage, so he tried to go for high press in midfield leading to counter attack, or force Seattle to attack through flanks and cross. 'Defend to attack' is one of Nelsen's mantras tactically.

With Bradley, you have one of best DMs who has high anticipation, and Seattle simply couldn't adjust enough to high pressure in midfield. Both TFC goals came from counters (Henry to Osorio to Defoe) and Bradley pressuring Pappa leading to bad back pass which Defoe pounced on. Osorio did his part too, trying to be more responsible defensively if Bradley pushes up. And for most part, Osorio/Bradley tandem worked well, except one time when both were caught too far up the pitch with Osorio causing a turnover which lead to Dempsey goal. And Seattle played 4-2-3-1, which is suppose to overload the midfield with numbers advantage.

So, Seattle was forced to try to attack through the flanks, and the stats were not good. Opta says Seattle attempted 36 crosses with 13.6% success (and we all remember lulz worthy Cooper cross near the end of the game...) while TFC only attempted 13 crosses, but had 30.8% success. One of the reasons for poor Seattle crossing was that it was Martins as lone striker. Fast, but short guy. Vs athletic Henry and wily veteran CB in Caldwell. You're not going to win many aerial duels that way. I also didn't understand why Marco Pappa played RW most of the game when he's best at LW, and vice versa for Neagle. I think Sigi wanted his wingers to cut in, leaving room for the fullbacks to attack the space created when TFC defenders pinch in to cover the wingers.
    But Yedlin didn't overlap as much as he usually does I thought, which was due to high work rate defensively by Jackson (who had a shit game offensively). Remick was abused by Rey defensively, but he was more involved offensively. I think that was the reason why Rey was subbed earlier than Jackson, partly to protect the lead, a yellow card, and Rey didn't put in as much effort defensively.

By late game, Sigi tried to overload TFC defenders with more strikers with virtually going 4-2-4 ish, (Cooper and Barrett subs, plus Martins, Dempsey), it was too late, and none of Seattle strikers can play the hold up role with all the crosses coming in.

Like Vancouver-NY game in Week 1, it's not how much possession you have; it's what you can do with it. It could have easily been a bad day for TFC if Defoe didn't put away his chances (but you leave a finisher like Defoe with a sec or 2 to place his shots, he's going to score 9 out of 10 times), or if Jackson got sent off for kicking Dempsey (then again, Dempsey should have been sent off for sacking Bloom and being an overall douche) or Bloom got called for a PK for hauling down Neagle (contact was initiated outside the box, so I think a freekick outside the box would have been a fair call)... anyways, I thought the ref didn't have a good game. What I'm saying is, TFC was able to impose more of their game plan than Seattle. I never felt other than 2 shots on goal, Seattle was particularly threatening, and Nelsen outcoached Sigi. (and TFC had very thin bench)

With Laba-Bradley partnership, plus Osorio playing just behind Defoe in a 4-4-1-1, I think TFC would have been even more dangerous. For all the flak Nelsen got about tactics, I think he had a good game plan, and made adjustments as the game went on.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched it. Yeah very weird to see. Wow...Like they are not even watching the game. Our supporter section would be cursing if not silent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave you a hat tip earlier. You did.
    Thank you.

I was not meant to be self-congratulatory just happy, at what I saw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Thank you.

I was not meant to be self-congratulatory just happy, at what I saw.
    No, it was just incredibly funny, given the history. Others had said what you did, but nobody says it quite like you.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/...attle-sounders

That Cunt Dempsey was suspended fot being a dirty little bitch. I recall someone saying in this thread that his actions weren't a big deal...thankfully MLS head office disagrees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anatomy of a Goal for Defoe's first: