Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't know, I thought he was awful on pretty much all levels. He could be standing wide open with the ball at the top of the 18, he'd put his head down and dribble outside towards the touch line to flub in a lousy cross.

I am thankful we are done with these sort of reclamation projects. Every year we'd pick up someone the rest of the league had given up on (as a starter) and decide we were the team that was going to make them great.
    Barrett is Wondo without the finishing. If you look at his goal for Seattle, he ghosted in perfectly unnoticed and put himself at the right spot at the right time. And he gets his share of great goal scoring chances, so it's not like he doesn't understand the game as a striker.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    What I don't understand is after all that analysis how anyone can come to the conclusion that we should hold Defoe out. Seattle is a good team at home so we shouldn't send out our best possible lineup? That's a loser's mentality. The only reason to sit someone for this game is if they're recovering from an injury. All indications are Defoe is 100%.

The only other option we have right now is Wiedeman. It doesn't matter how familiar he is with the team, no sane manager is going to start Andrew Wiedeman when a healthy Jermain Defoe is sitting on the bench.
    There are two schools of thought.

One is put your best team out and go for the points - that obviously includes Defoe. This is where I side - I think we should play our strongest side

But the other side is since home form key, and most road points are lost anyway, don't risk key players fitness in match on a poor surface, as there is a greater likelyhood of injury (questionable). Doing so optimizes keeping your best players fit for home matches where you are more likely to win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    All indications are Defoe is 100%.
    Nobody knows in these things. Including the medical staff, Nelsen, and Defoe himself.

All I know is that older players on turf is a bad mix to begin with.

But hey, whatever.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    But the other side is since home form key, and most road points are lost anyway, don't risk key players fitness in match on a poor surface, as there is a greater likelyhood of injury (questionable). Doing so optimizes keeping your best players fit for home matches where you are more likely to win.
    I admit this is my preference. I'm not saying Defoe shouldn't play. I'm just saying bring him on as a sub, can be the 65th minute or whatever - still plenty of time for him to make a difference so long as we hold Seattle at bay. He hasn't started a match in 2014, and he's had a long layoff, nothing wrong with easing him in. You can't blame folks for being a little gun-shy after what happened to other DPs like Koevs and Frings (although I can't recall if Frings injury problems were turf related, or just because he was old).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this game going to be blacked out on MLS Live?
    Yes. Any nationally televised games on TSN are blacked out unfortunately. As was the case with Saturday's Whitecaps game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Yes. Any nationally televised games on TSN are blacked out unfortunately. As was the case with Saturday's Whitecaps game.
    Darn. They make them available right after though, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how we should start then in Seattle because hey we can't risk any injuries and you know we have been such a great team in years past that we will for sure win all of our home games and all the other games that are not on turf, for sure.

Quillan Roberts

Haglund Henry Agbossoumonde Lovitz

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman
    so got get them boys and see you all the Shoe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering how long before the strawman came out...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if the team is going to actually get out of town today. There's a direct flight tonight at 8:30 or so but with this weather...
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    This is how we should start then in Seattle because hey we can't risk any injuries and you know we have been such a great team in years past that we will for sure win all of our home games and all the other games that are not on turf, for sure.

Quillan Roberts

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman
    Sooo, are you going with 2 goalkeepers? :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Sooo, are you going with 2 goalkeepers? :-)
    You'd need two with that line up.

And still lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quillan Roberts

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman
    Are you CRAZY! We can't start Henry. Let's put Richter in there...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quillan Roberts

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman
    Kids in the Hall had a show last night. In the spirit of over the top sarcasm I give you...

Remember: Sarcasm makes one lonely...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Barrett is Wondo without the finishing. If you look at his goal for Seattle, he ghosted in perfectly unnoticed and put himself at the right spot at the right time. And he gets his share of great goal scoring chances, so it's not like he doesn't understand the game as a striker.
    One of these seasons Barrett is going to actually score a load of goals. It will happen at some point. Suddenly all his "near misses" will all sneak in the far post. Then he will go back to missing again the next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I notice about Barrett...he has scored some beauties but only when it happens fast. Give him any time to think about what he should do and his brain chooses "miss" every time. I think his goal scoring problems are in his head.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Nobody knows in these things. Including the medical staff, Nelsen, and Defoe himself.

All I know is that older players on turf is a bad mix to begin with.

But hey, whatever.
    Totally agree. Plus older players wear jetlag worse than younger guys do.

But as you say, whatever. The guys on here who say it's "bullshit" to lay out the challenges of going into the home ground of one of the stronger sides in the league to play on their turf (literally) clearly know better.

As I say, if we draw and no one gets hurt, I'll be ecstatic. More likely, we'll see 3-0 Seattle.

We are still MILES from home, guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorDamage View Post
    Totally agree. Plus older players wear jetlag worse than younger guys do.

But as you say, whatever. The guys on here who say it's "bullshit" to lay out the challenges of going into the home ground of one of the stronger sides in the league to play on their turf (literally) clearly know better.

As I say, if we draw and no one gets hurt, I'll be ecstatic. More likely, we'll see 3-0 Seattle.

We are still MILES from home, guys.
    Trying and failing is a different issue from putting out the B-team. No one thinks this will be an easy game. That's an argument no one is making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Trying and failing is a different issue from putting out the B-team. No one thinks this will be an easy game. That's an argument no one is making.
    And putting out the B-team is a lot different than putting out the A-team minus one or two players.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Short of offending you with a remark about your reading comprehension skills, I don't know how to respond further to what you posted, so I won't.

I also don't think that "B-team" means what you think it means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, we have dramatically different perceptions of Barrett's football intelligence. Would never compare him to Wondo, even minus the ability to finish. There are hard working low budget strikers in this league that I think could make something if themselves, Barrett isn't one of them.

He's a headless chicken and people are in awe of his work rate, but his read of the game is terrible IMO.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-12-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    One of these seasons Barrett is going to actually score a load of goals. It will happen at some point. Suddenly all his "near misses" will all sneak in the far post. Then he will go back to missing again the next season.
    People have been saying that forever. He's turning 29 this year!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't know, we have dramatically different perceptions of Barrett's football intelligence. Would never compare him to Wondo, even minus the ability to finish. There are hard working low budget strikers in this league that I think could make something if themselves, Barrett isn't one of them.

He's a headless chicken and people are in awe of his work rate, but his read of the game is terrible IMO.
    a lucky headless chicken gets himself in prime goal scoring chances only so often. either Barrett is the luckiest striker, or he has some skills
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lucky headless chicken gets himself in prime goal scoring chances only so often. either Barrett is the luckiest striker, or he has some skills
    I can't say I see it that way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey.....the Brazilian NT keeper has to wait for the hotel bus like the rest of us.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice to see the infamous "we should hold our best players out" over an unfounded and irrational belief that Seattle's turf is more dangerous than grass.

Any other superstitions we can come up with? Like if I drink a beer with my right hand the night before a game while wearing a blue shirt it means that a midfielder is more likely to get injured so we should hold them all out and play a 8-0-2 formation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely just wearing a different colour shirt would be easier

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If I wear red we come out ok on the injury front but tend to concede goals in the last 10 mins and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Shame all my TFC kits are red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And putting out the B-team is a lot different than putting out the A-team minus one or two players.
    Agreed. I wouldn't fault Nelsen if he brought on Bradley, Defoe, and DeRo in the second half to be honest.

This franchise has had terrible luck with injuries to key players on artificial turf in the past, so the sentiment being shared by many is totally understandable.

The rest of the season is far more important than the season opener.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Agreed. I wouldn't fault Nelsen if he brought on Bradley, Defoe, and DeRo in the second half to be honest.

This franchise has had terrible luck with injuries to key players on artificial turf in the past, so the sentiment being shared by many is totally understandable.

The rest of the season is far more important than the season opener.
    And if this were the TFC's first season ever and had none of the injury history that you speak of, would you still not play those 3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    And if this were the TFC's first season ever and had none of the injury history that you speak of, would you still not play those 3?
    Of course I would play them, but that's why I stated that the skepticism is understandable given our history.