Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 1: Toronto at Seattle, Sat 15th March 4:30PM EST-SEASON OPENER

Cant believe in less than 6 day we will see our transformed team in action. Albeit missing some of our new defense I think TFC will have Defoe and Bradley start, but Gilberto probably gets subbed on in the second half.

Hopefully the lack of preseason games isn't going to be an issue, but I expected a very quick pace game. I'm also interested in the refereeing situation and how it will effect the level of play.

TV: TSN

Steam:TBD
    Last edited by Richard; 03-10-2014 at 09:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say based on what Nelsen said today that the current list of doubtful players to be able to start are:

Rey, Gilberto, Bloom and Orr

Probable:

Bradley, Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannot believe Game 1 is upon us! SO jacked!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will this game be on MLS LIVE? - I'm out of the country for this game and the home opener and am hoping i can watch them on MLS Live - does anyone know if the blackouts follow the subscriber or are determined by current IP address?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    will this game be on MLS LIVE? - I'm out of the country for this game and the home opener and am hoping i can watch them on MLS Live - does anyone know if the blackouts follow the subscriber or are determined by current IP address?
    if you are in America you can watch on NBC i believe. not sure about MLS live though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    IP address. If you're outside of Canada and USA, I'm sure it won't be blacked out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@backbeat. Worse comes to worse, you will be able to find it on rojadirecta.me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone who will be in the UK, this is live on BT Sport at 8:30 pm. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer Defoe, Bradley and Gilberto to be eased in. Playing their first game on turf worries me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it that Seattle's players can handle playing on this surface all season, and our side can't handle one match? I can understand managing their time due to just coming back from Minor injuries, but both Defoe and Bradley said they were 100% and ready to go. IF they don't start, its going to be an ugly season opener.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My expectations are guarded for this first game. The first team 11 have not had enough time together. Also fake grass and tough opponent make it more difficult. A tie would be great, however a narrow loss seems to be in the cards. As long as we score a goal and we have some control of the midfield I will be happy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    My expectations are guarded for this first game. The first team 11 have not had enough time together. Also fake grass and tough opponent make it more difficult. A tie would be great, however a narrow loss seems to be in the cards. As long as we score a goal and we have some control of the midfield I will be happy.
    Agreed. I think they could eek out a draw from the look of their season opener but I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm prepared for everything to go wrong on Saturday, with TFC losing 2-0 and one of our DPs getting injured on the turf. If any of these don't happen, I will rejoice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think/hope we will be fine from a ref perspective. There are two very experienced replacements (the guy that did the Seattle - KC game last week reffed a Bayern Champions League game last season). This match is going to be a marquee match for the MLS - (Bradley's debut, Dempsey involved, our offseason spending, ect) and I'm hoping they are going to want to have one of the solid ref's in charge of that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBrace View Post
    Why is it that Seattle's players can handle playing on this surface all season, and our side can't handle one match? I can understand managing their time due to just coming back from Minor injuries, but both Defoe and Bradley said they were 100% and ready to go. IF they don't start, its going to be an ugly season opener.
    They get injuries too, look how long it took Demspey to recover. Also, we got particularly burned by that Frings injury two years ago so I think we're all just a little spooked by the prospect of a repeat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll be happy to get out of there with a draw. I don't expect Defoe to start, but he'll make an appearance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it too early to camp out in line at Joe's?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I get to kickoff the game thread formation wars for 2014...here goes....I'm basing this on how much Nelsen played 4-4-1-1, it's not really what I would do (I might go 5 at the back for this one, at least for the first half, based on my sense of how preseason went).

I'm guessing he starts the Weedman, goes to Defoe at halftime. Mind you, the game is being broadcast in primetime in the UK, so Defoe will want to start, and Nelsen may have trouble saying no to that.

-------------------Defoe/Wiedeman-----------------
    -------------------------Dero-------------------------
    -----Jackson-----Bradley-----Hall------Osorio----
    -----Morrow----Caldwell-----Henry----Richter-----

It wouldn't shock me if Dero is dropped at halftime for Bekker or Hamilton. Especially if the game doesn't look like we can get a result at that point.

Will be amusing to see Bradley tracking Dempsey. Wonder when that last happened.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-11-2014 at 09:40 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-0 loss to Seattle I just don't get the feeling anything has changed with this team, this team is just not ready to start and by the time they get it going, if they get it going the playoffs will just be a dream. When I look at this team and still see guys like Hall, Morgan and Weideman as your depth and even as starters and a still not ready to start center back in a guy like Henry and throw in a coach who I think is in over his head and I just don't see this team going anywhere.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 03-11-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won't get shut out. Something tells me Frei will let in a soft one. How our defense fares is a different question though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    We won't get shut out. Something tells me Frei will let in a soft one. How our defense fares is a different question though.
    I think we'll score as well, but like Martin said....our defending is what potentially is worrisome.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactically, I think we are going to live or die by Bradley.

As for winning, we are going to live or die by Cesar.

I believe TFC will keep the inner pair of Bradley and Osorio - that's our midfield for this season. I suspect Hall is out of favour. That puts DeRo out on the left wing. Which is going to give Yedlin a LOT of space.

I also think they will put Hagglund out at RB. Jackson better have his bike on as he is going to need to be going up and down all game.

I can see us scoring 1 or 2. Cesar will be asked to make a LOT of saves though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toughest game of the season. Seattle has the best record at home since they came into the league and we obviously haven't developed much chemistry yet. So i'd be happy with a draw. I'm thinking 1-1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - tough to get a win, grabbing a draw would be a good result...

If we are going to grab a draw, I'd almost rather it be 2-2 over 0-0. I think Cesar can deal with allowing 2 on the road - but the non-footy media will rip into us if he new 'high-priced / high-power TFC' can't score etc...

A 2-2 draw with Defoe getting at least one of them would be solid...

Of course, a 4-nil win would be just dandy too!

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle will look to get behind our back line and they won't have any trouble doing so. If they control possession, we're going to have a rough go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what I saw in pre-season we would be lucky to escape losing by a couple of goals. Seattle needs to have an off day for TFC get a point there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle will push the pace against us for sure. I'm hoping Bradley truely is fit because he'll need to cover a lot of ground to help out the defenders. I'm looking forward to watching the matchup of Yedlin against whomever will be on his side. The guy is a workhorse and he could create a lot of problems for us.

It's funny to see all the Doom and Gloom posters already. I'm not sure what needs to happen for you in order to cheer for the team? Management goes out and has one of the best offseason's in league history and you're still calling them out. If you're expecting winning results right away then you'll likley be disappointed, but I do think that Nelson can get these guys going in the right direction. He's got so much more help in the dressing room now with guys like Defoe, and Bradley. It's going to be a very interesting season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not gloom and doom to expect to lose this game, and still expect to improve a lot in 2014.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Considering our best ever result in Seattle was a 0-0 draw in 2009, pretty hard not to be happy if we escape with one here. I'd actually sacrifice 3 points this week if it meant getting 3 points at our home opener.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's not gloom and doom to expect to lose this game, and still expect to improve a lot in 2014.
    I tend to be of the exact same view as Ensco here, I would be happy to escape without injury.