Page 97 of 110 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 3275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Defoe is going, he'd probably need to be looking at another team apart from QPR, due to fininacial fair play rules if they go down this season, after watching the last couple of games, looks like very big possibility, they'd be looking at a fine in the 40-55 million pound range or if they don't pay that demotion to the conference. Only 2 weeks ago they brought out their new plans to move stadium also. With that fine hanging over them, possible demotion, and asscoiated costs with building a new stadium, I can't see them forking out big money on an injury prone 30+ striker. They need a striker okay, but they'd need one who can guarantee them games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If the theory is Defoe is gone if Nelsen is gone... these pieces don't fit.

1) Rumours of Defoe to England surfaced around World Cup time.

2) Defoe was already in England, in the days leading up to the transfer window, before Nelsen was fired.
    Point one was always going to happen. England was hurting for strikers going into the World Cup and he was the only true option for depth. He was never going to full out make the squad unless there was injuries leading up to it, but he was a soild option for Hodgson.

Second point is a head scratcher but I believe he went to get a second opinion on his sports hernia is what was reported before the transfer window started its usual overdrive of rumour making.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    That being said, I really hope the bit about Bob Bradley is true.
    I have serious misgivings about father and son being on the same team. I'd be okay with Bradley Sr as coach, but I would want Bradley Jr to go to another team. Regardless, I just can't see BB coming back here when his stated goal is to manage in a European top-flight league. For him MLS would be a step backwards. Maybe in about 10 years, but not now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roster freeze is today at 5.

Lets see if anything happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I have serious misgivings about father and son being on the same team. I'd be okay with Bradley Sr as coach, but I would want Bradley Jr to go to another team. Regardless, I just can't see BB coming back here when his stated goal is to manage in a European top-flight league. For him MLS would be a step backwards. Maybe in about 10 years, but not now.
    maybe. but if TFC offers Bob Bradley Bruce Arena wages (1 mil per year or so), it's tempting. Stabaek is midtable in Norwegian 1st div right now, and it'll be hard for them to get higher. TFC offers him more resources than Stabaek to build a team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the only thing we haven't tried with this team is a "DP" manager. If we could get him, we should absolutely go for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    maybe. but if TFC offers Bob Bradley Bruce Arena wages (1 mil per year or so), it's tempting. Stabaek is midtable in Norwegian 1st div right now, and it'll be hard for them to get higher. TFC offers him more resources than Stabaek to build a team.
    It's been his dream to coach in Europe. He's not going to give up on that after one year. Stabaek is a stepping stone to bigger clubs. They were promoted this year and he has them 8th out of 16 teams. If he keeps improving he'll get better offers there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    It's been his dream to coach in Europe. He's not going to give up on that after one year. Stabaek is a stepping stone to bigger clubs. They were promoted this year and he has them 8th out of 16 teams. If he keeps improving he'll get better offers there.
    I want him to succeed in Europe. I really do. but it'll be another 10 yrs before BBradley gets a sniff at coaching a decent Euro team, and that's if he doesn't screw up. I just think the latent Euro bias against American coaches is too strong, and it'll take an exceptional American coach to break that barrier.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IVY has the right frame of mind.
    That being Gilberto as the attacking mid fielder.
    He is a player to build around NOT SELL.
    In 2/3 years he could be worth a lot more
    Yes get rid of Defoe (who when playing is a top striker )injury prone/selfish.
    We have Dike/Moore/Weidaman/Hamilton at the moment.
    Look for more down south going forward.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want him to succeed in Europe. I really do. but it'll be another 10 yrs before BBradley gets a sniff at coaching a decent Euro team, and that's if he doesn't screw up. I just think the latent Euro bias against American coaches is too strong, and it'll take an exceptional American coach to break that barrier.
    You might be right but Bradley isn't going to think like that. Especially since it seems like he's had a moderately successful season. He's not going to give up on Europe after one year just to be able to coach his son again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be right but Bradley isn't going to think like that. Especially since it seems like he's had a moderately successful season. He's not going to give up on Europe after one year just to be able to coach his son again.
    He doesn't have to give up on Europe, but managing a mid table team in Norway isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. His current club have a 7000 seater stadium, it's agruable that the MLS is a bigger league now in terms of publicity anyway, and I feel him doing well in the MLS is much an endorsement for him than getting by in Norway. Bradley snr might need a reality check though, he's 56 or so. I know Solksjaer went from Molde in Norway to Cardiff, but he was managing the top team. Rony Deila went from Stromsgodset to Celtic and they were one of the top teams also, although not that much higher this season than Bradleys team. He'd either need to take his current club to top 3 places at least and that could be a 3-4 yr process, he's pushing 60 at that point. Worth noting that both Deila and Solksjaer are 39 and 41 respectively. Taking a club like ours and doing well with them esp in an environment where he'd be comfortable might be hard to turn down, esp with I'd imagine the decent wage he would get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our biggest problem right now, imo, is lack of faith in the management of the club. That nosedived even further with all the events since Leiweke's announced departure, the Nelsen firing, etc. Any sense that we have some sort of stable operation, which I actually started to believe 8 months ago, is gone for me. Bringing in a firm hand like Bob Bradley whose credentials as a manager/GM no one could question is the only way to go at this point. Bringing in players won't cut it for me. We need stability at the top.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This coupled with consistent instability at TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erick Cubo Torres is available at $7 mil. Steep, but probably best young striker in MLS. You score bucketloads for Chivas USA, you can score anywhere in MLS.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He's back at it again:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle20595163/

- Defoe says he was out if Nelsen is out
    - Offers came in for both Gilberto and Luke Moore (Really? lol)
    - TFC rumoured to have already approached Bob Bradley to be coach & GM for next season

I would guess Nelsen is the likely source of these leaks, but who knows?
    Woah woah woah, back this up a second.

On first read of that article I didn't notice who the author was. I didn't even think to look because the stories were so different. But it's Attfield. It's the same damn guy! The same Attfield who reported two weeks ago that Defoe was unhappy with Nelsen's training. Now suddenly Defoe goes as Nelsen goes?

Really Paul? You're just going to report two massively conflicting stories, no qualifying statements, no "however I've heard differently from other sources" at the bare minimum? Is this guy for real?

This is the same guy who "broke" Forlan to TFC, no? I'm never taking a word this guy writes seriously again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and thats it. only team to add a player is Caps who signed Kianz Froese to HG and Marco Bustos to a pre contract

we're again one Caldwell leg injury away from sucking badly

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long way to go from there to reach the top. At the rate MLS is going, coming back here is not a bad move, much different perception of the league than when he left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and thats it. only team to add a player is Caps who signed Kianz Froese to HG and Marco Bustos to a pre contract

we're again one Caldwell leg injury away from sucking badly
    This boggles my mind.. why not take a shot at someone, anyone? The money has already been spent anyways so MLSE won't be paying anything ... .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone hinted to me that this would happen at the BBQ. Happy for the kid, but we need a CB bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can play CB, and midfield, he is a big strong kid, some who stayed on Sunday will have seen him dominate the plays at the back in TFCA's 6-1 win over AnB

It's great news and good luck Chris !!

I did say earlier this year that there is some talented players at Kia right under our noses. Plus these boys WANT to wear the shirt, unlike some pre madonnas that we sign on a whim !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see, always like it when an academy kid gets a shot.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is slight chance of adding someone, but that depends on whether the paperwork was signed and submitted to MLS FO prior to 5pm today and just waiting on a player's visa and ITC before announcement

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it appears Claudio Bieler isn't happy at SKC due to his time on the bench. Was thinking maybe we could pick him up, but I admittedly know very little about how that move would work seeing as he is a DP yet his salary only appears to be 225K.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    So it appears Claudio Bieler isn't happy at SKC due to his time on the bench. Was thinking maybe we could pick him up, but I admittedly know very little about how that move would work seeing as he is a DP yet his salary only appears to be 225K.
    another poacher. can score goals, apparently he's in Vermes's doghouse due to poor work rate
    he's a DP due to transfer fee.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are going for a DP no league retreads unless we can get Torres. We have the money to get good players out of South America otherwise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Vanney mentioned post-game that TFC needs to find an answer for “the player in the hole.” Guys like Portland’s Valeri, a monster in the first half Saturday, and the Galaxy’s Robbie Keane."

From the Toronto Sun article. We might get that AM we always wanted!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    "Vanney mentioned post-game that TFC needs to find an answer for “the player in the hole.” Guys like Portland’s Valeri, a monster in the first half Saturday, and the Galaxy’s Robbie Keane."

From the Toronto Sun article. We might get that AM we always wanted!
    I think he was referring to the need for better defending of AMers that use space between defense and midfield, like Valeri and Keane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think he was referring to the need for better defending of AMers that use space between defense and midfield, like Valeri and Keane.
    The more I think about it the more I think Bradley should play CDM. His strengths are 1) good work rate 2) defence 3) soaring passes up the field. He can attack but imagine a guy like morales in front of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    He was, however I'm crossing my fingers that the rumor of us looking for an AM to replace Defoe is true. And hey, I'll take the fact that Vanney recognizes players like those two are dangerous as a positive; I can't remember the last time I've heard anyone from this club talk about CAMs.