Page 89 of 110 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 3275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    To be honest its very hard to get behind any MLSE teams when the management gets rid of one of the best Presidents we've ever had; goes to show you our management could care less about results and more about the $$$;
    Lmao... What?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    To be honest its very hard to get behind any MLSE teams when the management gets rid of one of the best Presidents we've ever had; goes to show you our management could care less about results and more about the $$$;
    I will remember Payne for one thing:

rollerskates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Laba was essentially loaned with an option to buy. If Vancouver ante's up, they keep him. If not, then we can get him back. He is a big question mark at this point, but I think he will be staying in Van.

I really hope that we get a cap increase. And also throw in a minimum salary cap as well to force the lower teams into putting out a stronger side as well.
    ah I see... that's unfortunate, he would be a great player to add in central midfield behind Bradley. Thanks for clarifying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show's how short sighted people are that Goalberto scores 5-6 goals and people are saying let Defoe go! With no Defoe this season we would be in Montreal territory...or more like traditional TFC territory. The mission of our management should be to keep the 3dP's and the core of the team together for a few seasons. Each off season need to be a few tweaks and improvements not entire squad turnover.

Main issues for me at the moment is that it looks like Dero needs to retire & a strong replacement brought & we probably need a goalie.

steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Show's how short sighted people are that Goalberto scores 5-6 goals and people are saying let Defoe go! With no Defoe this season we would be in Montreal territory...or more like traditional TFC territory. The mission of our management should be to keep the 3dP's and the core of the team together for a few seasons. Each off season need to be a few tweaks and improvements not entire squad turnover.

Main issues for me at the moment is that it looks like Dero needs to retire & a strong replacement brought & we probably need a goalie.

steve
    the idea would be to bolster the depth else where on the pitch, and Gilberto alone could be one of the best strikers in the league, so I would still do it. This is possible

---- Moore-Gilberto
    Remy - Bradley - Piatti
    -------- Laba --------

1 DP - Bradley
    2 DP - Gilberto
    3 DP - Piatti
    4 DP - Remy
    600 k - Laba

Now I don't mean Remy, Piatti and Laba particularly, but those type of talents. Take it in this is possible if the cap goes up and a 4th DP is added. Pretty crazy out of the box thinking but it's possible, this league is rapidly improving and TFC seems committed to being players
    Last edited by Defoe; 08-26-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this team needs to play a 4 3 1 2 formation and sign a true AM and you see how defoe and gilberto fly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Laba comes back and is under that cap that makes him a DP, i would go out and get a DP CB with the 4th DP spot (if it comes in of course). Orr isn't coming back, Caldwell is a year older and Henry and Hagglund to me aren't ready to start together yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is this 4th DP talk coming from? We need a good core not more flash backed up by the likes of Jackson, Bekker and Orr. With the new CBA they're likely to tackle transparency issues and the low end of the salary cap.
    Last edited by MartinUtd; 08-26-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    If Laba comes back and is under that cap that makes him a DP, i would go out and get a DP CB with the 4th DP spot (if it comes in of course). Orr isn't coming back, Caldwell is a year older and Henry and Hagglund to me aren't ready to start together yet.
    why would laba come back. He is under contract with Vancouver and integrated into their system better than when he was here. From what i have seen, vancouver is pretty happy with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    No way MLS is going to allow a DP centrehalf. They want more goals and attacking DPs. Didn't TFC go down this road before and was rejected by the league. Not saying its not the right thing for the club (which it is), I just don't see any chance MLS would approved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    No way MLS is going to allow a DP centrehalf. They want more goals and attacking DPs. Didn't TFC go down this road before and was rejected by the league. Not saying its not the right thing for the club (which it is), I just don't see any chance MLS would approved it.
    They approved Liam Ridgewell so anything is possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland signed a DP CD in July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why would laba come back. He is under contract with Vancouver and integrated into their system better than when he was here. From what i have seen, vancouver is pretty happy with him.
    Agreed - If Toronto is due a hefty payment at least for Laba's services at the end of this year, based on his importance to that team presently, they will gladly pay it; we should probably move on from this point, it is HIGHLY speculative

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Agreed - If Toronto is due a hefty payment at least for Laba's services at the end of this year, based on his importance to that team presently, they will gladly pay it; we should probably move on from this point, it is HIGHLY speculative
    I think the amount of compensation is in question. It might not be much at all but with MLS's lack of disclosure everyone can claim to be a winner even if one party got snowed.

Let's note this started with the league doing TFC a favor by signing Bradley while having 3 DPs under contract. Doesn't sound to me like the type of situation where they can ask for a high price. Up to the trade the rumor was the was little interest and TFC HAD to make roster compliance.

Time will tell, but I'm not going to be surprised if it was a fire sale price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Portland signed a DP CD in July.
    oh, shit ... u guys are right. Wonder how much is he is making. must be well over the 375k for them to DP him.
    I know vancouver went out and got andy o'brien a few years ago but he was just under the 375k

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the difference at the time for us not being able to sign a CB DP (vs the current MLS DP's) was the state that TFC was in at the time and if that deal was going to screw things up even worse for us in that area. Don't forget the huge contracts we were throwing out there at the time. Shortly after Kevin Payne was brought in to start the overhaul. I think if we had a valid case for a CB DP these days and Tim B had our books balanced there would be no issue this time around.

Hope TFC come out to prove a point that we can win at home and NE has one of their off-games and are not going to be all hyped up over their signings. We really need 3 points this weekend. The cushion in 3rd, as small as it was, is gone. Must wins from now on so we are not on the red line or even below it at the end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, shit ... u guys are right. Wonder how much is he is making. must be well over the 375k for them to DP him.
    I know vancouver went out and got andy o'brien a few years ago but he was just under the 375k
    Besler and Gonzalez are also on DP contracts
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they bring in a vet on D for the rest of the season,caldwell is out 2 wks and morrow 4 wks,seems like orr is not in RN good books these days.we have 2 or 3 import slots open,come on ryan where are all yr connections these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba is NOT coming back. I promise.

Bez told me this at Real Sports during the World Cup. Please, lets forget about Laba.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post

Bez told me this at Real Sports during the World Cup. Please, lets forget about Laba.
    yeah even if he hadnt told you that id be inclined to believe it, all signs point to him staying in Vancouver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did he tell you the "steep price" they would have to pay for him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Did he tell you the "steep price" they would have to pay for him?
    He did, actually. Vancouver will have to pay us a portion of the transfer fee we paid. Not clear if that translates into allocation cash or just cash for the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did, actually. Vancouver will have to pay us a portion of the transfer fee we paid. Not clear if that translates into allocation cash or just cash for the club.
    Think they oversold that a little bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't Bez at the World Cup in Brazil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    Wasn't Bez at the World Cup in Brazil?
    If he was, he wasn't there during the semi finals.

Laba will not be back. I promise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he was, he wasn't there during the semi finals.

Laba will not be back. I promise.
    been discussed ad nauseum in the Laba trade thread, but I'd be curious to know exactly what TFC is getting back from Vancouver. as of right now, you can't pay transfer fees between MLS teams. you can trade allocation money, but you only get so much and unless Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs, I don't know how Vancouver will pay for a big allocation money. unless TFC is getting hosed
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mean this in a negative way but why would Tim B tell you this and not let everyone know, including the media? He's astute enough to know that in telling various individuals at pubs that it will eventually leak. It just seems odd especially since they have kept acquisitions and trades so quiet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this was so much about not wanting teams signing CB's as DP's as it was about protecting us from signing yet another a massive, terrible contract. The league had no problem making Gonzalez a DP. You can be that if Rio Ferdinand had opted for a move to the MLS, the league would have had no problem with him as a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    been discussed ad nauseum in the Laba trade thread, but I'd be curious to know exactly what TFC is getting back from Vancouver. as of right now, you can't pay transfer fees between MLS teams. you can trade allocation money, but you only get so much and unless Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs, I don't know how Vancouver will pay for a big allocation money. unless TFC is getting hosed
    Or Garber waves his magic wand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I don't think this was so much about not wanting teams signing CB's as DP's as it was about protecting us from signing yet another a massive, terrible contract. The league had no problem making Gonzalez a DP. You can be that if Rio Ferdinand had opted for a move to the MLS, the league would have had no problem with him as a DP.
    Yeh.. if memory serves, the league was wanting to avoid a scenario which would see TFC paying all or part of the wages for 4 DP's (Frings, Koevs, JDG [covering some of his salary @ Dallas], Melberg), which goes against the spirit of the three DP rule. As upset as we were with the league for it, they still went on to later allow us to have 4 DP's on our books, in the form of bringing Hassli over from Vancouver.. even if that move didn't work out, in the end; we were hanging ourselves with the contracts we were taking on, and the MLS FO, I think, was just ensuring we didn't break the league, in the process of failing so hard, by pumping all these bad contracts into a single-entity system (only to dodge the consequences, by shuffling the players on to another team, and then requesting the approval of another).
    Last edited by JuliquE; 08-27-2014 at 03:25 AM.