Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Armen and Wileman, Issey has signed. Hoping paperwork comes through for Saturday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    We are better than Brockie, but as we will probably need mid season coverage due to World Cup losses, then he would be useful to fill up that month where we need more depth. He's all effort, and sometimes you need a guy like that when you need spare legs. I always enjoyed watching him play, even though he didn't appear to look like scoring much.
    Can always see if we can loan him for the 2014 calender year and then see how we stand after the season
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are better than Brockie, but as we will probably need mid season coverage due to World Cup losses, then he would be useful to fill up that month where we need more depth. He's all effort, and sometimes you need a guy like that when you need spare legs. I always enjoyed watching him play, even though he didn't appear to look like scoring much.
    The Weedman does that job just fine TBH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weedman doesn't chase down balls like Brockie. Come to think of it, nobody except maybe Jackson applies that much pressure on that side of the field and Brockie has is advantages over Jackson in that he has a cool head, is still pretty fast and can throw in a decent cross. Also, given my limited exposure, I don't see how Issey being hailed as just what we need but then Brockie - who was more successful in the A-League isn't. Either way I just want some wing depth and I'd be happy with any two of the three players mentioned above.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brockie was considered a fail last year. And not just by me. And he takes up an int spot.

No thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fushida View Post
    The Weedman does that job just fine TBH.
    Yes, agreed. BUT, if Defoe gets the England call, that will only leave us with Weeds as the backup. Say he gets an injury we will need another player as depth. Brockie would be an adequate depth backup when we need it at that time.

Plus, those arguing that Brockie was a bust last season have to remember that last year we was brought in to be a starter. Whereas this year he would be brought as backup as we would still have Gilberto and DeRo as first picks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, agreed. BUT, if Defoe gets the England call, that will only leave us with Weeds as the backup. Say he gets an injury we will need another player as depth. Brockie would be an adequate depth backup when we need it at that time.

Plus, those arguing that Brockie was a bust last season have to remember that last year we was brought in to be a starter. Whereas this year he would be brought as backup as we would still have Gilberto and DeRo as first picks.
    Not helping his case, being billed as a third-string depth option, given the international slot he'd take up.

I generally agree that he'd likely be a better fit, opposite Rey, on the flanks, however, I have to concede that Nakijima-Farran has more going for him, if only his domestic status. Isn't he also a natural lefty?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a good thing that england and usa won't make it out of their groups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post

Aaaahhhh come on!......you just ruined it for everybody!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Brockie was considered a fail last year. And not just by me. And he takes up an int spot.

No thanks.
    I think you're dead wrong. He pressured defenders into making mistakes, chased down loose balls, was decent in the air and worked well with his teammates in short time he was here. Plus, he was deployed mostly as a centre forward when he really excels on the wing. If the Brockie haters are so numerous then bring it, because I haven't seen a substantial criticism of him but I have seen a lot of parroting that he's a bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    According to Armen and Wileman, Issey has signed. Hoping paperwork comes through for Saturday.
    Article is up on MLS, looks like it's done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Brockie was a domestic player, then sure, sign him to add as a depth player. But using an international spot on a depth player is waste.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Article is up on MLS, looks like it's done.
    That article is just rehashing Wileman's tweet. Still not official.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    If Brockie was a domestic player, then sure, sign him to add as a depth player. But using an international spot on a depth player is waste.
    Just FYI - Brockie has been on the bench for us for most of the season and when he has played, he hasn't been much good.

Looks like he got a bit burnt out after the loan with you guys - didn't have a proper pre-season with us - and that has been really detrimental to his form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    Lol....sorry to break it to you but England will make it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True however Brockie's form has also dropped this season in the A League...his finishing ability is currently even worse than last year ...so there you have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO he is not worth the aggravation and international spot. There are plenty of similar quality North America guys floating around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    Lol....sorry to break it to you but England will make it out.
    It wouldn't be a major international tournament if the didn't make out then crash out in penalties a round or two later. Only question is, who is going to get sent off this year and be made the scapegoat?

Seriously, I don't think they will make it out of the group stages. They are just not a good team, and are managed by a moron.

(btw - England is who I am cheering for - I'm not posting this from an Anti-England perspective)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a decent number #4... for the world cup.

Dero can play with Gilberto in the Defoe role for 60 minutes.. the issue is that Weids I don't think can for 30 minutes.

You'd be better off moving to a 4-5-1 for the last half hour, slot Osorio up and put Bekker or the defender that can play DM (I know one can can't recall who right now) to work with Hall while Bradley is away.

Unless Weids form improves drastically of course.

I really hope Dike is able to get back he would have been great to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'm out of the loop here a bit, but why is everyone so excited for Issey? He looked energetic for that fog match in the preseason but I see him as an unknown quantity. I understand we need some bench options for the wings, but I definitely wouldn't toss Jackson aside. I think Jackson is going to be good for us when he catches his stride, and we should give him a chance. We're working on a two game sample size here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the World Cup, the MLS is taking a 2 week break. That should see us through the initial group stage. England and the US may not advance - both are in very tough groups. So it's very possible we'll have both players back on the squad in time for the MLS to kick back into gear. Re: Cesar, Brazil is almost certain to advance of course, but I personally don't see it as very likely that Julio Cesar will return post-WC anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes you think Defoe will be called up to play in World Cup? It's possible England decides not to call him up if they feel younger guys can do the job for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    What makes you think Defoe will be called up to play in World Cup? It's possible England decides not to call him up if they feel younger guys can do the job for them.
    Iduno about that. Like Welbeck? he never has had to take the load of the team and doesnt have experience scoring big goals. Defoe is the perfect #4 striker. He has experience and can notch a late goal. He can be played purely to add in a late goal.

Coming to MLS might actually work in his favour. Everyone knows he can score in the EPL and in European competitions, but now he has diversified. All staying in the EPL could do was lose him some stock if he rides the bench at Tottenham or struggles to score at lower table teams that can't get him the service he needs. He is now proving his worth against American competition . Literally. I think the English team needs it. If he keeps up his scoring rate he'll be in Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It wouldn't be a major international tournament if the didn't make out then crash out in penalties a round or two later. Only question is, who is going to get sent off this year and be made the scapegoat?

Seriously, I don't think they will make it out of the group stages. They are just not a good team, and are managed by a moron.

(btw - England is who I am cheering for - I'm not posting this from an Anti-England perspective)
    Lol i'm a huge England fan too and agree Hodgson is a complete moron. But even without being biased, they should still be favourites to advance along with Italy. I think they'll even win the group....but as always they'll crash out in the quarter-finals on penalties. Btw for anyone debating whether or not Defoe will make the England team, as someone who follows England more than my club team i can say i'm about 80% sure Defoe will make the team.

It's pretty much as follows:

1. Wayne Rooney (Guaranteed if fit)
    2. Daniel Sturridge (Guaranteed if fit)
    3. Danny Welbeck (Hodgson loves him and nobody can tell you why other than he plays with Rooney for Man U)
    4. Jermain Defoe (Because their are no other World Cup calibre strikers left)
    5. Rickie Lambert (Has played really well the past 2 seasons but his track record isn't a strong as Defoe's)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Regarding the World Cup, the MLS is taking a 2 week break. That should see us through the initial group stage. England and the US may not advance - both are in very tough groups. So it's very possible we'll have both players back on the squad in time for the MLS to kick back into gear. Re: Cesar, Brazil is almost certain to advance of course, but I personally don't see it as very likely that Julio Cesar will return post-WC anyway.
    The issue with the world up would be when the squads are meant to meet prior to the tournament. Usually they meet probably two weeks ahead, so that would be a month away for any world cup player (potentially). Isn't England playing a couple of games in Miami before the tournament?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue with the world up would be when the squads are meant to meet prior to the tournament. Usually they meet probably two weeks ahead, so that would be a month away for any world cup player (potentially). Isn't England playing a couple of games in Miami before the tournament?
    Yes, you're right. I didn't think of that. Rats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England's first friendly is May 30 and USA's is on the 27th. Interesting that Brazil's isn't until the 2nd of June (10 days before the opening game). So i'm guessing the Kansas City game on May 24 would be the last for Defoe, Bradley and Cesar before they leave.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redisthenewblk View Post
    Maybe I'm out of the loop here a bit, but why is everyone so excited for Issey? He looked energetic for that fog match in the preseason but I see him as an unknown quantity. I understand we need some bench options for the wings, but I definitely wouldn't toss Jackson aside. I think Jackson is going to be good for us when he catches his stride, and we should give him a chance. We're working on a two game sample size here.
    I am happy to get Issey just because I liked what I saw when I saw him play live. Jackson is decent I think but I just get nervous with guys who seem like a red card waiting to happen. That has been my worry with him since watching him play. I do remember how frustrating it was for our team to play against him and guys like him so I am still happy he is with us I guess. I would definitely give him more time to prove himself. Good to have them both.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LFC8 View Post
    England's first friendly is May 30 and USA's is on the 27th. Interesting that Brazil's isn't until the 2nd of June (10 days before the opening game). So i'm guessing the Kansas City game on May 24 would be the last for Defoe, Bradley and Cesar before they leave.
    19-25 May is suppose to be 'rest period' for players. Players released for national team on 26 May
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I think people need to look at his playing history, his past comments and such. The guy washed out at every team he's been to, including being loaned out to a minor league club in Cyprus by a top division club in Cyprus. That's a bad sign. That says to me that he's a guy they don't even want in the locker room.

Couple that with his comments about MLS being something nice to try and this guy doesn't exactly scream "upgrade."